New GPS selection

Vanraw

I know there are a ton if threads related to units and such. It seems to me that the top units out right now talked about are the Colorado 400t, and the Magellan Triton.

However there seems to also be allot of problems with these.

SO a question I have is, what other top end options are there. No one seems to talk about other manufactures much. Is a PDA with blue tooth a way to go? Are there better games in town then Garmin and Magellan?

I own a 2 Lowrance units and a Garmin.

Lowrance doesn't get a lot of publicity here, but I'm happy with mine. They do not have Auto-Routing which for some people seems to be an issue, but for me it isn't that important.

I recently upgraded my older Lowrance AirMap 500 with a new Expedition C. It has faster processors, a color screen, higher sensitivity receiver, internal magnetic compass, pressure sensor, and some additional features I'll rarely use. I consider it a top end receiver without the top end price.

Another Lowrance unit that is nice is the XOG. It does have auto routing and some nice mapping features (I think it will display aerial photos) I didn't want one cause I thought it was too delicate, but it looks like one cool do-everything unit.

I'm just now on my second Garmin, the first was the old yellow Etrex which of course did not have mapping or routing. I just went out today for the first time really and I have to tell you that I thought both the mapping and routing were incredible. I'm not sure how much gas I wasted searching for some of those caches in out of the way neighborhoods, today I drove straight to the parking spot and started my search.

I now have a Garmin GPSmap 60Cx and I'm just learning all of it's potential. I've only owned it about 4 months but it appears to be very sturdy, the buttons are easy to operate and other than the fact that the mapping software costs way too much they are great units.

I know there are a ton if threads related to units and such. It seems to me that the top units out right now talked about are the Colorado 400t, and the Magellan Triton.

However there seems to also be allot of problems with these.

SO a question I have is, what other top end options are there. No one seems to talk about other manufactures much. Is a PDA with blue tooth a way to go? Are there better games in town then Garmin and Magellan?

Two years ago, I was considering a PDA and Bluetooth combination as something to which I could export my DeLorme topographic maps. I discarded that option when I became aware that DeLorme would be entering the handheld GPSr marketplace. As it is a consensus acknowledgement that DeLorme has the best topographic maps, I was not willing to accept a GPSr with maps lesser than those that I have been using for years as carry in my hand paper types.

Check some of the links click here on the tab here noted in blue as Included Maps and then notations in orange as View Maps for examples.

Ignore the price listed there and click through on Spring Sale for the $299.95 offer.

For some reason that I'm not sure of, CowboyPapa's link wasn't working for me. In case someone else is having trouble with it, here is something in the same vicinity.

I'd agree that if you're wanting to spread the nets wider than Garmin/Magellan, Delorme merits consideration.

Edit: Here is the link for the $299 spring sale deal.

Edited by embra

Lowrance owners are few in number, but generally happy with their units.

Garmin owners are the most numerous and happy with their units--and with customer service should they ever need it. It seems to me that Garmin is the most responsive to customer need and input.

I've heard a lot of complaints from people who buy other units. For instance, there is a sizeable body of folks who own Magellan's, but over time a lot of them seem to switch over to Garmin when something goes flooey on their maggie and they get disgusted with the lack of customer service at Magellan.

So no, I don't think there is a better game in town in the gps industry than Garmin.

For my money, the Garmin 60CSx is the best unit I've ever used. I also suspect the reason the 60CSx is not discussed as much lately is because most of us that have to have all the best toys already have one, we like it, but we've seen the new 400t and we are wondering if we should get one of those. I suspect that someday --probably soon-- the Gramin 400t will surpass ther 60CSx it in customer praise rating as the best geocaching unit available.

However, the 400t costs a lot more than the 60CSx (or 60Cx) and they still have a few bugs to iron out. I'm hoping that by the time my husband's birthday rolls around they have those bugs all fixed and the price has begun to drop so I can buy him a 400t and he'll stop teasing me because I always use "our" 60csx and leave him 'stuck' with the 60CS.