What kind of sale do you prefer as a coin buyer?

Eric K

As a coin buyer, what kind of sells do you prefer.

A. A limited time sale where you have to reserve the coin during a certain time?

B. A sell where you know only "X" number of a certain coin will be minted.

C. Unlimited, sales are open ended.

D. Other

I like B.

Even though I briefly toyed with the idea of a remint for the Runestone, I realized afterwards that for me in my opinion, flooding the market with a coin just decreased the value of it. I could have likely sold another couple of hundred Runestones, but then it just seemed to me like the originals would have less value to collectors and such. SO, I like a fixed number, known in the beginning and no remint. The money of remints is nice, but... :)

Failing that, choice A is my second choice :D

Just my .02... ain't worth much nowadays, lol!

Naomi :D

Edited by mousekakat

We personally like a mix of A and B.

Set a number, set a time. If they all sell - super. If they don't, theres your limit.

I dont like the idea of an open-ended number. If you set a number, it sets a 'limit' for that edition. When its open ended - many, many MANY coins may be produced.

We like people to be able to order coins, but also know the maximum 'Edition side' prior to purchashing.

I haven't been collecting coins for very long, but I've only ever encountered type B, or variations on it. Usually, if the creator of a coin plans for a remint, they will say so up front and the remint won't include any of the LE versions.

I am planning my own coin in support of Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan. If I can find a way to do it, I would like to open sales to geocachers in the Canadian Armed Forces first, before opening sales to the general public. I will likely set a number for the total coins produced, including remints, but I would hate for any CF member who wants one to miss out.

I think it depends on what you buy the geocoin for. If you are just collecting then limited numbers is the priority assuming of course that you were lucky enough to get in on the sale before they were all gone. If you are in it to see them, buy extras to trade and activate them to travel in caches and are not trying to make a profit, then the more the merrier. SO it depends. Me I don't care. I figure if I miss some no biggie. If I buy a bumch and they are not collectors items no biggie, just more fun in the field. Activate them and set them free. The worst that can happen is that someone likes them so much they want to keep them.

D. Other...

I fully support a coin maker's need to sell off stock therefore the need for a limited mint so as not to be stuck with useless inventory. But I do not support keeping an issue limited so the profiteers on Ebay can have their killing at the expense of the common coiner or to artificially keep a coin rare. There are plenty of personal coins, mystery coins and mission coins that are not available for sale and are rare.

Yes, to reservations for a specified time to allow the greatest number of buyers a democratic chance to purchase the coins they desire (larger orders may have to backed up with deposits so the coin maker/seller doesn't get stuck with unwanted inventory). Then cap it at the end of the fair time frame. If demand is still very high, remint, if not too bad.

No to limited editions without limitations to how many can be purchased, especially for an expectedly popular issue. No one purchaser should be allowed to buy 5% of the inventory... it's gluttonous and greedy so why encourage the perpetration of 2 deadly sins.

Yes to unlimited editions if the demand is high enough.

That's my nickel's worth.

:D To me it kinda depends on the coin.. but I like a variety of coin sales. :)

I like options A and B from a collectors point of view... in that there's an opportunity to get a limited # of coins in a limited timeframe, with a known amount of coins produced. These tend to be the upper crust of the collectible geocoin spectrum. Very cool.

I also like Option C from a utilitarian standpoint, I'll use the USA coins as an example.. :D there's a huge supply of them at a very reasonable price, you can buy a bunch of em' set em free, drill holes in em, whatever.... and not sweat it too much if they get lost strayed or stolen. They're functional trackables, but aren't the big collectibles like the limited runs. I think more of these would be actually used for traveling than sitting in a collection. (and YES I have a few of these in my collection)

I'd kinda like to see more of the larger no frills coins with the seemingly "never ending" supply around the $5 mark.

That being said...

Ultimately design reigns supreme..

If the coin is an awesome design, and I'm drawn to it... how it's sold just really isn't that important. If I gotta have it... well.. I gotta have it. If purchasing requires me to order through a foreign site at an ungodly hour of the morning that I have to decrypt on some language translation site, then perform a song and dance in say Dutch... so be it.. ya gotta do what ya gotta do. :D

Good design, tastefully design - catch my attention.

...but I also like ( B ).

.. I don´t mind re-minted..IF something is different.. Like different color... thats like being a new one, and could be in a set.

Edited by Nenne_

I prefer there being enough coins made so the average cacher and collector can get the coins. I am both a cacher and a collector. Since I started caching, I have given a lot of coins to kids because some know the cache is in there area and keep an eye on it, some do CITO, and some go caching. You know what I have found out, that these kids start taking more pride in their area, instead of vandalizing a cache they help maintain them, and they are the future of geocaching. The kids have activated geocoins and TB's and sent them out and watch them and they do better in school.

I don't like the very limited number because it seems the people selling on ebay is the ones getting the coins.

The minter when they make a very limited amount isn't making the money, the person buying them and selling them on ebay is.

Even if you have it now so the average person can buy them, in time they are going to become rare and worth more than you paid for them.

A. A limited time sale where you have to reserve the coin during a certain time?

D. Other

I don't like reserve of coins because that usually means the coins are not in the designer or seller's hands. I like to be able to buy the coins and receive them quickly not 4 to 8 weeks later.

I like buying coins knowing there will be a set number of them made or knowing that if they sell well than there will be a remint of them or a different version of them. IE: Tsun and CB. I don't like it when people say there will be a set limit and than try to sell more, that is dishonest in my opinion.

I don't like unlimited because again, you aren't getting the coins quickly but rather ordering them and waiting on them to be minted.

As a coin buyer, the kind of sells I prefer are:

I always appreciate this one. I like it when CoinsandPins do their sales - you have lots of time to get in and reserve your coins, but it does take a long time for them to arrive. Yes I know I am impatient!

I love this option when I am one of the lucky few to get in and reserve some coins! I loathe this option when I miss out. Yes I know I have double standards!

This option is good for coins that you know are going to be mainly kept in collections, and never set free to travel.

'A' and 'B' are good for trading too. It makes trading a challenge, and ever so much fun!! It is great to finally be able to get that coin you've hankered for....

For coins like the cacher tags, I really appreciate this one. I have activated all my cacher tags, and they are all travellers. It is nice to be able to buy a coin whenever I feel the need/inclination especially when they are as cheap and pretty as these ones.

A. A limited time sale where you have to reserve the coin during a certain time? I like this option if I have samples to look at but not by going off of mint artwork

B. A sell where you know only "X" number of a certain coin will be minted. This is my favorite option, that way if I know how many are being made up front, I know if I should buy the coin or that I can probably trade for it down the road.

C. Unlimited, sales are open ended. I like this version for nontrackables and more generic type coins, it's nice to have cheaper options out there for gifts, FTF's, coin releases, swag, etc.

D. OtherGood luck cause it's so tough to please everone :)

Edited by tsunrisebey

A, I'd rather have something than not.

A coin is a silly thing to fret over whether I can get one or not, and sit there panicking and crash someones website from the flood of traffic, and they sell out in 30 seconds and half the people are crying and angry at the seller and the other half are already posting them on ebay.... yeah, i hate that. i hate saying "nah i dont think i want to get dinner with you tonight b/c im a huge dweeb that needs to run home and buy a coin" but what can i say im an addict and i do say that. but i hate it.

I like when reservations are taken and the minting is based on that and payment requests are send out a week or two before the coins are shipped. A great design is still going to be in demand. I can think of a bunch of coins where reservations were taken and you still see every day people listing those coins in the hearts desire thread.

I guess the fairest option really is the combination of A & B when its stated up front and absolutely clear whats going to happen. The website gets crashed :) lucky people get some versions that will be in huge demand but nobody ends up missing out b/c some of them will be reminted.

As a buyer I wouldnt mind seeing cheap coins a plenty for travel, gifts etc.

But as a collector...the less there are that I was able to get one of, the better your gonna like it! If ya aint got it, the more your gonna want it! Once you get it, the more ya gonna love it!

Cant say I didnt hope for a remint of the first Earth Turtles though!

What kinda bugs me is when the coin has been long gone for awhile now and you happen to get one or some...then a year later, here it comes same coin- new metal! Just when you finally decided to place one of your 2 as a "Special" resident coin cause you couldnt possibly trust it out there in the wild, but still want people to see this special coin you cherrish so...well it aint so special anymore, but I still like it and because i still like it, Ill probably get a 5 pack :):D

Aint nothin more special than a limited number! But thats just the collector talkin...its good to see these things travel!

D. Other

Being new, I do like a combination of A and B and C :) Like others have said, A&B is nice for the more collectible ones and C is nice for ones that are less expensive and most likely to truly be turned loose to travel. Different finishes are fine - I missed out on the initial Buckwashing Pirates Sword so am very glad to pre-order the V2.

Regarding option B - for the LE sales, I like it when there is a limit on what one person can buy. Otherwise it does seem that multiples from one person show up on ebay.

I'd rather see all coins limited to 200 or so, bring the fun back in it!

Guess that's the difference, it's more "buying" than "collecting" to me when there are vast amounts out there. And I have to say I don't understand the icon thing, maybe we should just start selling icons and forget the coins. It'd be a lot cheaper!

We personally like a mix of A and B.

I'm in under this one. Because each option sets a hard number to be minted. It sets values by doing that I think.

Oh Yeah .......Always limits! I hate seeing people making more money on ebay than the Artists/minters themselves.

Edited by seaeye

D. Other...

I fully support a coin maker's need to sell off stock therefore the need for a limited mint so as not to be stuck with useless inventory. But I do not support keeping an issue limited so the profiteers on Ebay can have their killing at the expense of the common coiner or to artificially keep a coin rare. There are plenty of personal coins, mystery coins and mission coins that are not available for sale and are rare.

Yes, to reservations for a specified time to allow the greatest number of buyers a democratic chance to purchase the coins they desire (larger orders may have to backed up with deposits so the coin maker/seller doesn't get stuck with unwanted inventory). Then cap it at the end of the fair time frame. If demand is still very high, remint, if not too bad.

No to limited editions without limitations to how many can be purchased, especially for an expectedly popular issue. No one purchaser should be allowed to buy 5% of the inventory... it's gluttonous and greedy so why encourage the perpetration of 2 deadly sins.

Yes to unlimited editions if the demand is high enough.

That's my nickel's worth.

I totally agree with your comments.

As a coin buyer, the kind of sells I prefer are:

I always appreciate this one. I like it when CoinsandPins do their sales - you have lots of time to get in and reserve your coins, but it does take a long time for them to arrive. Yes I know I am impatient!

I love this option when I am one of the lucky few to get in and reserve some coins! I loathe this option when I miss out. Yes I know I have double standards!

This option is good for coins that you know are going to be mainly kept in collections, and never set free to travel.

'A' and 'B' are good for trading too. It makes trading a challenge, and ever so much fun!! It is great to finally be able to get that coin you've hankered for....

For coins like the cacher tags, I really appreciate this one. I have activated all my cacher tags, and they are all travellers. It is nice to be able to buy a coin whenever I feel the need/inclination especially when they are as cheap and pretty as these ones.

In a nutshell Liz - it is very much a 2 sided coin in that as a collector I really, really want to get coin X... but I don't want there to be so many that everyone has one to keep and 4 to trade... otherwise there is no value in the ones for trade. Numbers need to be fair enough that most of those who want a coin have a reasonable expectation of being able to get one at the time of sale. I think this is where reservations work really well, bu as others have echoed... the waiting, oh the waiting.... ;)

Guess that's the difference, it's more "buying" than "collecting" to me when there are vast amounts out there. And I have to say I don't understand the icon thing, maybe we should just start selling icons and forget the coins. It'd be a lot cheaper!

hulabumicon.gif

There ya go! You now own all the rights to your very own personalized ICON. Feel free to use it on your travel bug pages, your credit cards, or even have it tattooed on your scapula. Enjoy!

Please forward your payment to my PayPal account.

Thank you for your business.

hulabumicon.gif

There ya go! You now own all the rights to your very own personalized ICON. Feel free to use it on your travel bug pages, your credit cards, or even have it tattooed on your scapula. Enjoy!

LMAO!

Limiting all numbers of coins (although I am sure Groundspeak wouldn't approve of selling less tracking numbers) is an interesting concept... there are lots of pros and cons. And probably a topic for an entirely new thread.

;)

hulabumicon.gif

LMAO!

Limiting all numbers of coins (although I am sure Groundspeak wouldn't approve of selling less tracking numbers) is an interesting concept... there are lots of pros and cons. And probably a topic for an entirely new thread.

;)

Well they have come down to 250 from 1000, so what's to say they won't ? It's more money in the pot for them and would make having a personal coin more affordable to so many more people than at present.

Back OT - I just like minters to be up front, I don't mind if it is limited or unlimited but wish they would all state from the get go so you know where you stand.