Caching solo

Just curious people's thoughts on this?

Being that I've just started not too long ago and have fewer than 50 finds (only one solo), I've felt kind of odd doing it solo. I don't know why, but just feel weird. It could be because of the area I live in. Maybe if I ventured an hour, 1:15 to one of the cities closer, it wouldn't feel so odd.

I don't know why I feel this way. After all, it's just a game. But I can't hide that it does seem odd and it's obviously more fun with friends.

How many cache solo? And do you ever feel odd? Anything along those lines? How do you cache solo etc.?

well I am only about 2 weeks into this myself,.. and the person who introducded me to geocaching is in the midwest while I am on the left coast ,.. so not knowing too many folks around here ,, if I'm going to do it ... solo is what it will be,...

I have yet to meet any other cachers out on my adventures, but it does get me outside and do some exercise (which my doctor likes)

being a little on the older side with health issues anyway I do seem to have my limitations..

I do have good days and bad days on finding things,.. mostly I hate those micros,.. I don't think I'm good enough yet to really pick up on these things quickly enough..

and then I see whre someone says ,.. "thanks for the easy drive by" and think .... uummm did they really find it ...

just enjoy it and don't let yourself get frustrated,... it's all in the game

:)

Mostly, I cache alone. My schedule is such that I have more free time during the week as opposed to weekends. I also enjoy exploring the cache area. Unless it's a parking lot micro. Then it's just a number. I have the same problem others mentioned with playground caches. So, I seek those in adverse weather.

I've attended a few events that required a team and I really had a blast! But those were sort of a competition and speed was necessary. My normal cache speed is "meander."

I wish folks would consider those that cache alone when they hide caches. It looks really odd for a single person to be looking around in that parking lot, business park, or small city park. Even two people attract less attention in those situations. But I still hunt those caches.

I guess it's up to you. If your goal is numbers, a group can really help out and make it very fun. If you're alone, take your time and look around. I'm amazed at what I've found, and seen, while caching solo.

Edited by JoesBar

Being that I've just started not too long ago and have fewer than 50 finds (only one solo), I've felt kind of odd doing it solo. I don't know why, but just feel weird. It could be because of the area I live in. Maybe if I ventured an hour, 1:15 to one of the cities closer, it wouldn't feel so odd.

I don't know why I feel this way. After all, it's just a game. But I can't hide that it does seem odd and it's obviously more fun with friends.

How many cache solo? And do you ever feel odd? Anything along those lines? How do you cache solo etc.?

Yarrr, SB29, welcome ta the game: since aye luvs ta gits outsoide ta play ev'rrry day, nay matt'rr the weath'rr, an' ev'n me crew (the Cap'n an' the Pi Rats) gots more sense 'n that, aye caches as often as thar be's caches nearbouy, an' oft'n aye caches solitaire. Gotsta 'fess aye couldna gives a sail'rrr's knot whot anybuddy helse moight think o' whot aye'm doin' but, as aye skis, snowshoes, ice 'n' roll'r skates, boikes, hoikes, swims, an' picks up litt'rrr, on me own ev'ry day anyways, an' me fave caches hinvolves a trek sumwhars int'rrrestin', prrrref'r'bly rural, aye guess aye'm jest doin' whot comes nat'r'lly, an' sumtoimes aye ev'n meets oth'rrr foine folks out 'n' about, sum of whom also be's cachin'. :D

As a wench, (an' the crew's cook, bottle wash'rrr, helmsman, bosun, etc.,) aye prepares as necessary, an' keeps me perrrrson'l safety in moind, (as the crew couldna hafford ta replace me, an' no one helse knows whar ev'rryfing be's on board the ship) an' 'ave forgone searchin' fer a cache (as rrrrecently as this week) on accounta not loikin' the looksa sum situations, but aye've dun'd a 4.5 star, 20+ km wint'rrr snowshoe trek in Labrador, an' 1/1 urrrban caches on Vancouv'rrr Island; Portland, Oregon; an' aroun' the GTA bouy me lonesome, an' menny diff'r'nt types o' cache in between, w/out any mishaps er 'barassment, an' 'opes ye will 'ave at least as much fun as aye dun'd, wiv er wivout comp'ny! :)

Summa ourrr crew's bestest toimes wuz 'ad crrrrossin' pavs wiv ov'rrr play'rrrs, an' attendin' He-vent caches guarantees ye'll meet oth'rrr foine folks whot shares yer hint'rrrest in the game, an' moight become yer bestest geo-buddies on future cache runs! :D

Happy trrrrails to you, an' rrrrest hassurrr'd, YOU are not the strrrrrangest figure out thar, nor is cachin' the weirdest activity goin' on in this crazy ole wurld we lives an' plays in--as ye'll no doubt discov'rrr; that's whot gives us all sech colourful bruises, an' stories ta share! :D

Cheers,

the Wench

Hans Solo cacher here although I bring Chewbacca too (dog not really named that, lol) at times. I prefer alone that way I'm not on anyone else's schedule but mine :)

95% of my caches are out in the mountains away from people...hmmm, seems to be a theme here.

Edited by tsunrisebey

I prefer caching as a family. My daughter and I will often go out without DH on the weekends while he golfs. It's great mother/daughter time.

But as I do home visits for a living, I often have time to grab some caches while out on the road and so I do solo cache 1-2 times a week. It's also a nice way to get in some exercise on my lunch hour or whatever.

I will admit that there have been a couple of times while out caching by myself that I've felt uncomfortable because of running into some motley crew or even at the thought of breaking my leg and having no one know where I am. So my solo caches tend to be the drive-by grab-n-go variety these days vs. the long walk into the woods.

But I can be greatly persuaded out of my comfort zone if there is a cool geocoin in the cache listing. :)

I do a mixture of solo, family and group caching (events). Depending on the location my preference changes. Having the kids along is a lot of fun and it is good to get them outdoors anyway.

In the beginning I felt a little out of place on my own, especially in parks. I find it bothers me less these days and suspect that has something to do with having a few more finds to my name. Of course a good number of my finds involve some amount of hiking.

Yarrr, SB29, welcome ta the game: since aye luvs ta gits outsoide ta play ev'rrry day, nay matt'rr the weath'rr, an' ev'n me crew (the Cap'n an' the Pi Rats) gots more sense 'n that, aye caches as often as thar be's caches nearbouy, an' oft'n aye caches solitaire. Gotsta 'fess aye couldna gives a sail'rrr's knot whot anybuddy helse moight think o' whot aye'm doin' but, as aye skis, snowshoes, ice 'n' roll'r skates, boikes, hoikes, swims, an' picks up litt'rrr, on me own ev'ry day anyways, an' me fave caches hinvolves a trek sumwhars int'rrrestin', prrrref'r'bly rural, aye guess aye'm jest doin' whot comes nat'r'lly, an' sumtoimes aye ev'n meets oth'rrr foine folks out 'n' about, sum of whom also be's cachin'. :)

As a wench, (an' the crew's cook, bottle wash'rrr, helmsman, bosun, etc.,) aye prepares as necessary, an' keeps me perrrrson'l safety in moind, (as the crew couldna hafford ta replace me, an' no one helse knows whar ev'rryfing be's on board the ship) an' 'ave forgone searchin' fer a cache (as rrrrecently as this week) on accounta not loikin' the looksa sum situations, but aye've dun'd a 4.5 star, 20+ km wint'rrr snowshoe trek in Labrador, an' 1/1 urrrban caches on Vancouv'rrr Island; Portland, Oregon; an' aroun' the GTA bouy me lonesome, an' menny diff'r'nt types o' cache in between, w/out any mishaps er 'barassment, an' 'opes ye will 'ave at least as much fun as aye dun'd, wiv er wivout comp'ny! :D

Summa ourrr crew's bestest toimes wuz 'ad crrrrossin' pavs wiv ov'rrr play'rrrs, an' attendin' He-vent caches guarantees ye'll meet oth'rrr foine folks whot shares yer hint'rrrest in the game, an' moight become yer bestest geo-buddies on future cache runs! :D

Happy trrrrails to you, an' rrrrest hassurrr'd, YOU are not the strrrrrangest figure out thar, nor is cachin' the weirdest activity goin' on in this crazy ole wurld we lives an' plays in--as ye'll no doubt discov'rrr; that's whot gives us all sech colourful bruises, an' stories ta share! :D

Cheers,

the Wench

The wench --

If you ever get down into this area, you really need to visit this cache: Argh!

And thanks all for the responses. I appreciate them! I look forward to see what else people have to say. Guess I just need to do a couple of solo ones to get the odd feeling out of the way!

When I started caching I went solo all the time( my first 1100 finds), no one was interested in going with me. I did a lot of hiking alone in the woods which for a female is not without its risks. I really never felt odd about urban caching in parks and such since I may have looked like I was a mother searching for a wayward child...

Now that I have friends,(caching friends) they do not like me to cache alone in the woods so I always have someone to go with now.

After caching alone then with others, I definately prefer group caching. I cache alot on weekdays by myself in safer urban settings, then in urban/woodsy places on weekends in a group.

I started geocaching because it gave me a chance to go out and explore and find new things.....I have met a lot of interesting people through caching and have enjoyed spending time with them in groups. But I have realized more and more that quality is better than quantity (and it seems that quantity is what we go for in group caching sprees). I, on some occasions, prefer to go on a caching excursion by myself, and really get to choose and experience the caches I undertake. Sometimes that is good, because it gives me a thrill of going that extra mile, daring myself to go a little more. Sometimes it is foolhardy, because it can be dangerous. There is always that weirdo in the woods or that risk you shouldn't take alone. Me, I hold no fear, although I probably should. I rely way too heavily on my good sense to lead me through (yeah, right). I have never feared the weirdo in the woods; I have no reason to. I can deal with it. But I am a little shaky about the risky situation. Maybe it is a way over the water or a climb up a rock face or even a tree. Maybe a trek through the swamp. Or maybe just a simple excursion and you run into an animal. I can control the weirdo in the woods, but many can't. But I can't necessarily control feeling that I am OK going into a situation and halfway through saying to myself, "Oh, s**t. " Maybe there is a bear, or I get bit by a snake, or there is a whole frickin' bunch of weirdos waiting for me. Maybe I get swallowed up in 'quicksand' or my car sinks in a huge puddle. I may even have a group of weirdos offer to help me out for a price (and, yes, THIS has happened before).

The point I am trying to make is that no matter how much you enjoy your own company, maybe you should think twice before putting yourself in situations where you shouldn't be alone....Think about that mud puddle before you drive through it. Think twice when you see someone that looks iffy, before leaving the safety of your vehicle. Know the wildlife in the area and be prepared.

Find a caching partner that likes doing the same things that you do. Maybe you guys can do some of the riskier stuff together. And if you do choose to 'solo' cache, make sure that wherever you go, SOMEone knows where you went.

I am a risk taker. I spend most of my time alone. I enjoy it. I still do the group caching now and then but I find that the nunbers do not mean as much. I also decided that if I am going to do something insane (and I like doing that now and again) I am not going to do it alone.......

Probably 90% of my finds have been solo. Except for the few times I was going close to a playground as a single, middle-aged, male, I've never felt weird about being out walking around alone.

I agree most of my caching is done solo . I stay very far away from children . Unless they are with adults.

So many caches in my are there is no need to go where childred are anyway .

But yes sometimes I do feel a bit silly . I bring a camera as someone else suggested ,that looks less funny or odd if you stop and fake a picture or 2 .

When I first started caching I did it solo, but then did it with my girlfriend and her daughter for awhile. I was also able to get a friend involved for a short time and we went out together.

Now that I'm single again I do all of mine solo. I do agree that it's enjoyable to cache with other people, but if noone you know is interested in it then it's quite hard to get someone else to go along. Mom is paranoid about ticks and lyme disease (since she's had it), so she won't go into the woods. The friend I mentioned is into GPS and electronic gadgetry, it's just hard to get together with him on the weekends.

I've felt uncomfortable at times. Most recently I went to a local park on a weekday to check out a few caches there. I couldn't get to any of them because there were too many people. One was placed right next to a playground area, which isn't good at all. I got strange looks when I sat down at a nearby picnic table for a few minutes. I left the park without finding any of them.

It makes me uncomfortable when I'm trying to find a cache and there are people milling about. I know I look suspicious but I try not to. That's why I like the rural cache much better. At least I have a greater chance of finding the cache without someone staring at me and wondering what I'm doing.

The solo question brings up a good point. There needs to be a way for solo cachers to meet each other and form friendships and such so that caching doesn't have to be a solo affair. Although I do admit I enjoy caching solo as well.

I never cache alone...I'm a gimp (soon to be fixed) and don't have my own GPS (also soon to be fixed). I cache with the other hubby 1/2 of RedSky and/or our son, Zolgar. I don't think that once I have my new hip and my own GPS I'll still be very likely to cache alone, I enjoy the company of my guys and also the safety.

I don't do a lot of solo caching.

Usually it's with Roo (friend) or my parents.

I've got a few solo finds, and I need to get in to the habit of getting out for more. Usually solo all I hit is close by urban ones because I'm on the bike.

Basically I just using caching as an excuse to get myself off my a** and on to my bike.

There is always that weirdo in the woods or that risk you shouldn't take alone. Me, I hold no fear, although I probably should. I rely way too heavily on my good sense to lead me through (yeah, right). I have never feared the weirdo in the woods; I have no reason to. I can deal with it.

Maybe not seeing the weirdo in the woods means that YOU'RE the weirdo!!! :unsure:

There is always that weirdo in the woods or that risk you shouldn't take alone. Me, I hold no fear, although I probably should. I rely way too heavily on my good sense to lead me through (yeah, right). I have never feared the weirdo in the woods; I have no reason to. I can deal with it.

Maybe not seeing the weirdo in the woods means that YOU'RE the weirdo!!! :laughing:

Oooh, I have seen him/her. just dealt with it... But you may not be entirely wrong......

I don't mind caching solo when I am hiking on trails, but I don't cache in urban areas by myself. It isn't out of fear . . . I just don't enjoy finding urban caches. Finding those caches can be great fun with other other cachers, however. :laughing:
I'm the same way. When I'm by myself I enjoy peace and solitude. So I enjoy going for a hike by myself.

I've only ever done solo caching, because for the longest time I couldn't get anyone interested in going out with me and doing it.

Now I begun to trick my husband into going on walks and my GPS just "happens" to fall into my purse or my pocket. :laughing::laughing:

He's slowly catching on, but prefers a long hard hike to get to a remote, 4 or 5 star cache rather than something in a city park. So I handle those, and instead we plan trips around horribly remote caches.

We're still planning a trip out to GCBD8E... Someday that cache will be found!

All of my cache attempts/finds so far have been solo. I don't know anyone who is interested in going with me, and because of my work schedule I have yet to attend a local event. I have felt a little odd at time out poking around by myself, but I feel a little odd a lot of other times to so I don't let it bother me too much. I go during the day and avoid areas I don't know well or are considered "bad" areas.

Most of my 302 finds have been solo as well. I would really like to cache with my 8 year old son, but he often doesn't want to, unless he knows it will be fun. He joined me on less that 10% of them. Most of the others have either been found going to work, coming home from work, or out of town on business.

On one occasion, I even got a geocaching coworker and a muggle coworker to take an extended lunch to run out a grab a nearby cache. Other than that, though... I am a cacheterbator.

For the most part I end up caching alone. I would rather bring the whole family but usually doesn't end up that way. If I had the choice I would rather cache with others and enjoy the many benefits/advantages. Because I feel strange when I hunt for urban micros etc I like those the least. I would enjoy them much better if I had other cachers with me.

I only cache solo or with my wife never a group, I would just slow a group down, I only walk never run and many times it is a stroll because I enjoy looking at nature. I would say about 1/3 to 1/2 of my caching is solo. I have been to one event and did some solo and some with my wife there were other cachers looking also but we were really on our own.

I have a group of caching buddies I love to cache with. It is always a good time.

I cache alone whenever they are not available, and still enjoy it, but it is not as much fun as when I am with my buddies.

My wife has decided for safety reasons I should not cache alone in the mountains. I tend to agree so I don't argue. I save the mountain caches for when my buddies are available, and do the urban caches when alone.

I love caching alone in the mountains. It might not be the smartest thing to do but I enjoy the quiet.

840f8740-9d01-483a-80eb-f2099fecf5bd.jpg

But when you are alone you need to set the camera up on a tripod, then run out to the rock outcrop before the

shutter goes off, all while trying to look natural - and hope you don't trip while running out there :laughing: .

Edited by briansnat

I'm a country boy from way back and understand totally that some of us dont have any problem with going out to nowhere by ourselves. With that in mind, there is a cool new option for those who need to ease the fears of a significant other, or who would just like the extra safety of it. There is a company that makes a little device about the size and weight of a handheld GPSr that will also track a GPS position, but it can also report your position back out so that people know where you are if you need them. There are different modes of operation so you can get an 'every 10 minutes' mark on a map, only report your position and that you are OK when you hit the check mark button, a help button that sends a message to who ever you predesignated to let them know that you require non-emergency help at your current location (i.e. come pick me up please, or drop supplies here) and of course the final mode is the 911 button that tells everyone who needs to know that there is someone at that spot that is in a heap of trouble and sure could use lots and lots of help quick.

I'm not going to name the device because I'm not sure if I should or if that would be taken as some sort of commercial or something. If anyone really wants to know, send me a private message and I'll tell you, else someone else can say it here.

Here's to hopeing no one needs that 911 button.

I mostly cache solo but if its in a place where I know there will be other people around like parks or playgrounds I'll wait untill another day I don't want to be seen as the single guy wandering the play grounds while kids are playing if I can get others to go with me then we'll see if we can get one in open areas with others around I am kinda new at this and havent really figured out what works best.

Keep in mind I'm new to this, I went on several cache's with my "coach" which is one of my dearest friends, many with my kids, some on my own, I will say, in my experience, there are benefits to all of them. I don't know how I could say what I prefer. The ones with my Friend, I've never laughed harder in my life, with my kids, bonding time that we would have never done sitting at home, them on the computer/video games, alone it's time I can have with me. However, when I'm alone, I wish for the moments that I laugh so hard I can't breath or those very special moments with a teenaged son, thinking, where else could he be and what might he be doing.....

Keep in mind I'm new to this, I went on several cache's with my "coach" which is one of my dearest friends, many with my kids, some on my own, I will say, in my experience, there are benefits to all of them. I don't know how I could say what I prefer. The ones with my Friend, I've never laughed harder in my life, with my kids, bonding time that we would have never done sitting at home, them on the computer/video games, alone it's time I can have with me. However, when I'm alone, I wish for the moments that I laugh so hard I can't breath or those very special moments with a teenaged son, thinking, where else could he be and what might he be doing.....

All good points well taken! I, too, am the same. I was so happy when I introduced my best friend ever to geocaching and he took to it like (cliche here) a duck to the water.....As he has moved farther away, we still talk on a daily basis, but it wouldn't be the same if he didn't have those 'geocaching' questions to ask and trips to take. I am still a 'solo' geocacher for the most part, but I also enjoy the camaraderie from only the closest of friends....And those are usually the BEST times I have caching!

Edited by gipsie