GPSr Repairs in Canada

58squared

Hi,

Our Garmin etrex legend needs a new power button. It hasn't been used that much and has been well cared for.

I emailed Garmin, US$79 plus shipping for the fix. This seems like a lot for a machine that sells for C$128 They are also suggested sending it to Raytech (??). I think they are in Quebec.

We live in Winnipeg. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,

Our Garmin etrex legend needs a new power button. It hasn't been used that much and has been well cared for.

I emailed Garmin, US$79 plus shipping for the fix. This seems like a lot for a machine that sells for C$128 They are also suggested sending it to Raytech (??). I think they are in Quebec.

Thanks

I had my Garmin forerunner 201 (for running) repaired by Raytech. They just took my old unit and sent me a refurbished unit. That was two years ago and the unit they sent me is working good.

Hi,

Thanks

I had the same trouble with my legend. There are instructions on-line on how to take the GPSr apart. You should only need to take off the two outer wraps of rubber and adhesive strip that covers the buttons. I found the plastic button broken inside and was able to cut a piece of plastic into a "T" shape which would fit into the hole and activate the on-off switch. I re-used all the wrapping that was carefully removed during disassembly. I found that a glue stick was good for holding the rubber band in place.

I had the same trouble with my legend. There are instructions on-line on how to take the GPSr apart. You should only need to take off the two outer wraps of rubber and adhesive strip that covers the buttons. I found the plastic button broken inside and was able to cut a piece of plastic into a "T" shape which would fit into the hole and activate the on-off switch. I re-used all the wrapping that was carefully removed during disassembly. I found that a glue stick was good for holding the rubber band in place.

Be careful doing that - I'm pretty sure that that will void the warranty - So if you don't re-seal it right and water gets in... :unsure:

Raytech is very good and they only take a couple of weeks

I had the exact same problem (the page button was gone as well) and they sent me back a refurbished unit

I contacted RayTech last September because one of the power pins on my 60CS was broken. The reply I got was ""Garmin's flat rate repair/exchange cost is: $170.78." I was under the impression Canadians had to go through RayTech for any unit that is not aviation related.

Regardless, I decided to put the money I would have spent on repairs and shipping towards a 60CSx rather than repairing the old unit.