Isle of Man

We have booked a ferry to come on a caching trip to the Isle of Man for the early man bank holiday. Geotourism - cache setters should be eligible for government Tupperware grants :unsure:

Anyway does anyone have any advice as to which campsite to use - initial thoughts are to use the Glen lough site as it looks like when the small stonefielders are asleep in the evening us big stonefielders could take it in turns to do some of the hertitage trail caches.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for caches we really shouldn't miss?

Thanks

We have booked a ferry to come on a caching trip to the Isle of Man for the early man bank holiday. Geotourism - cache setters should be eligible for government Tupperware grants :unsure:

Anyway does anyone have any advice as to which campsite to use - initial thoughts are to use the Glen lough site as it looks like when the small stonefielders are asleep in the evening us big stonefielders could take it in turns to do some of the hertitage trail caches.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for caches we really shouldn't miss?

Thanks

El Presidente is my favourite cache of all time -and near the calf of man (the sound) cafe wich is spectacular. I wish I was coming with you - there's some great caching to be had!

Hi stonefielders,

when we went to the Isle of Man last year we stayed for free on the common land near Sulby (website here) There are toilets and sinks with water but no showers but you may decide to stay there for a few days while exploring the north of the isle. Great area as well.

Unfortunately when we went half the isle was shut because of the foot and mouth scare in Surrey; the government there like to impose their right to shut things when they get the chance. We enjoyed all the caches we did and definitely go to all the glens and explore the hills for them. Take the train up to the top of Snaefell too and explore Laxey beforehand. Tourist Trophy (GCJGW6) was fun, Twixt Two Towers (GCH4GT) was another good one (you might meet Jeremy Clarkson though) and Don't wake Ned! (GCM8KR) in Cregneash was an interesting area to name but a few. And yes you should start looking at the puzzles although they are not so bad :)

Enjoy your time there,

Helen

Edited by T-girls

We went to the Isle of Man last year and asked this very same question. [:)]

A site that was recommended to us, and which we plumped for, was the Peel Campsite. The prices were reasonable and the facilities were clean. It's only a short walk to the beach and it has a Swimming Pool next door. There's also a supermarket 2 minutes walk away.

We're going back again this year and will be booking at the same site.

I can't really recommend many caches as we didn't do many due to misfortune but we'll hopefully get a lot more done this time.

We did enjoy the Three Legs - J3 (Coast) cache and would recommend caches by Happy Humphrey as he does come up with some ingenious hides.

We'll be back there from August 16th if anybody else is planning a journey over and fancies meeting up for a caching trip.

Keith (Geotrotters)

Considering recent posts on a certain subject (sorry wrong linky) is a must :)

The link doesn't work there Ecky ;)

.............does so :unsure::unsure:

At least it did from your post on my machine :laughing::laughing::laughing:

No good unless you're one of the cognicenti though :-

Site access is currently only available to administrator and reviewer accounts. Visit Geocaching.com instead.

B)

Edited by Eckington

Considering recent posts on a certain subject (ooooops!!) is a must B)

The link doesn't work there Ecky ;)

.............does so :unsure::unsure:

At least it did from your post on my machine :laughing::laughing::laughing:

No good unless you're one of the cognicenti though :-

Site access is currently only available to administrator and reviewer accounts. Visit Geocaching.com instead.

B)

.....ah! The "other" place - try here

....sorry!! :):)B)

Edited by Eckington
Thanks everyone, got all those bookmarked (well maybe not the micro in the woods :laughing: and have started puzzling over the puzzles

Now that was a micro in the woods worth visiting, it was a strange magical sort of place. I was only over for a few days and could only search after work, so it was a bit hit and miss what I found but some great caches, and well worth the walk up the mountains as the views are great. Enjoy yourself, the Isle is a great place to visit. :laughing:

Whoo hooo .... both of mine are listed on HH's list (cheers mate! ;) ) Can't tell you which they are because that would be advertising.

However I have at least 3 more devious caches ready to put out, but HH stole my last site in a park near to me. (That's one all HH ;) ) So I need a new location.

You'll have great fun caching on the Island, we've plenty to go at and thanks to the various teams over here the majority are well worth the hunt.

Cust.

Edited by Custheyder

There are a seriously huge number of puzzle caches on the IOM so start working on them now!

I think the cache we liked best was The Key to Middle Earth. It is set in a very weird landscape and you might even see some wallabies there! :)

If you need an OS map we have one that is available for loan courtesy of markandlynn.

Lisa

Ohh was just going to mention that one

Great place enjoy !!

We'll be on the Island in 5 weeks time.

We are really looking forward to our time exploring and visiting the Island .... and of course geocaching while we are there.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

But oh, those puzzle caches really have us! :) We have managed to solve a few, but would like to be pointed in the right direction with the others! In South Africa Puzzle caches are not big! :)

Also advice in regard to doing caches - for instance, walking and doing the Heritage Trail caches - how long would it take us, seeing as our time is limited, would it be better for us to drive etc.

Hoping to bump into some local cachers while we are over there.

We have just returned from our trip to the Isle of Man. It was without a doubt the best caching we have done.

Almost without exception the caches we did (of which there were many - think kiddies and sweet shop :o ) were well thought out and sensitively placed.

Series such as curiously manx took us to areas of the island that we wouldn't have otherwise found.

Clearly in many cases the cache setters had gone to a lot of trouble setting interesting puzzles, finding great spots, then hiding the cache well, often with customized cammo.

This is caching at the quality that we should all aspire for.

Thanks to all the cache setters for providing us with an enjoyable and memorable weekend. We hope cownchicken have as enjoyable a time.

:)We'll be there in a weeks time and really are looking forward to our visit. Thanks to the Stonefielders for all their help and cachers on the Island who have offered assistance. We really wish we could meet you all.

We have battled solving your numerous puzzle caches and are really looking forward to finally getting to them.

We are sure our time on the Island will be wonderful and wish we could stay longer.

Maybe we'll see you along the trail! :)