Organizing an event

I need to organize a geocaching event for our Prescott Daze festival in September. I have a few questions as I don't want to offend anyone by doing things the "wrong" way. I will need 7 caches for this event.....Each cache having a word in it. The players collect the 7 words that will form one famous quote. Then enter their sheet with their names on it for a drawing of prizes. Here's my questions......

It's a small town that already has 6 geocaches. Ideally I'd like to make them permanent caches, but don't want to inundate the town with too many caches. Also, the folks that run the Prescott Daze festival want to make the geocaching thing an annual event. thus adding more and more caches each year. Is it ok to have an event with non-permanent caches? Would this upset anyone or prevent them from coming out to do it?

I was planning on having a Geocaching 101 type of session for those that are just beginning. But also wanted to have a meet and great at one of the coffee shops in town. So would I make the meet and greet an event cache that they actually could log on geocache.com? I've never been to an event cache, so don't really know much about them.....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Events take all kids of shapes from a simple meet and greet at a pub or pizza joint, to elaborate picnics with food, games and prizes.

You can place temporary caches for events, but they cannot be listed on geocaching.com. Some events have numerous temporary caches and there is often a sheet of paper that is handed out at the event with the coordinates of each. Many geocachers enjoy these temporary caches. Personally I don't because I'm there to socialize, not wander off on a cache hunt.

As far as organizing an event as part of another festival, be sure to read the guidelines for events. Events must be organized for geocachers by geocachers. Tacking a official geocaching event onto some other event like a town festival usually is not allowed.

There is nothing however keeping you from incorporating geocaching into your Prescott Days festival, you just can't make it an official geocaching event. For example you can run your geocaching 101 session at the festival, perhaps set up a geocaching table with brochures, photos, maybe some sample GPS units, but it's unlikely that would be published as an official geocaching event.

What you can do is organize a meet and greet event nearby. It could be breakfast at a diner, or a luncheon at a pub or restaurant before the festival starts. You can then invite the geocachers to attend the festival.

Edited by briansnat