Rechargable batteries

I've been using Uniross NMH rechargeable batteries for various electrical items for the past few years, including recently, my Colorado. Getting ready for a caching trip this afternoon, I was charging 4 batteries in my Uniross charger (which is supposed to check for overcharging) & one of the batteries has just burnt, taking the charger with it.

I had assumed that Uniross & the charger I bought were good - obviously not. What is the best & safest brand/model or charger & the best brand of rechargeable batteries?

Ouch.

I've used NiMH batteries for years and have never had a problem. I have had batteries that don't carry a good charge anymore, but none that have done what you experienced. My old charger started having issues detecting fully changed condition and some batteries got quite warm, so I retired it. For the past two years I've been using a Maha 801D.

A lot of chargers on the market are single channel for two batteries. This means that the pair of batteries are charged and monitored as a unit. Usually, this results in one of the two batteries not being fully charged. Better chargers will monitor each battery independently. I don't know anything about the Uniross, but the 801D charges up to 8 batteries independently. My only complaint is that it defaults to a fast charge, which is ok for higher capacity batteries (>= 2300 mAh), but not for my older batteries.

As for battery brand, I have used a number of different brands. The Energizer brand has worked well for me recently. I'm not a fan of Duracell rechargeables, as I have recently had issues with fully charged cells draining rapidly in my camera. I suspect that a lot of rechargable batteries are made by a handful of manufacturers and simply branded as requested.

The Maha units are good, I use one for travel. Check out the Thomas Battery site

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

And you'll find a wealth of information, and most of the better chargers including Maha, not to mention different brands of batteries.

At home I've been using a MH-C9000 charger - analyzer. It controls 4 batteries individually (AA or AAA), and allows a few useful operations from break-in to refresh.

Feedback after a month of usage.

I can say that the Maha charger is superb, it has everything I want from a charger & works very well.

I also bought some Imedion low-drain rechargables & threw-out all my old Uniross ones. These are excellent batteries & I can say that their performance over a new Uniross (in Uniross charger) is very good.

I had a number of 2600mAh Uniross batteries that used to last about 3 hours while caching in my Colorado 300. Now the Imedion 2100mAh batteries (being looked-after in a Maha) last for about 3 caching trips. In fact I got up this morning for a (cough) FTF & turned on my GPS at 08:30. I put in new batteries that had been through a Maha break-in program, but then left in store for a month. I've now left the GPS on all day (forgot to turn it off), it's now 16:20 & there's still one blob left on the Colorado battery indicator.

Excellent charger & excellent batteries!

After reading a number of different threads on this site about Nimh batteries,the consensus seems to be the Maha batteries are an excellent choice. Before I go out and buy a set of X-Power 2700's,I would like an opinion on the Maha chargers,as they do sell a number of different types. Specifically,what do you think of the Maha travel chargers and their ability to fast charge,is that a bad thing? Fast charging can be useful,but then again most posts seem to suggest that it has a negative effect on the preformance of batteries. If that is true,why then would Maha sell them? Lastly,would anyone want to comment on the preformance of the ROV Hybrids,I recall them rated at 2000 or was it 2100?

I'm sure there is a use for fast travel chargers... for instance when travelling. However I don't believe they are suitable for general & regular use. Maha may sell them as they have some purpose (for travelling) & maybe also to fit a marketing requirement. Generally a fast charge can overheat the batteries & not charge them to full capacity.

Sorry, I have not used X-Power 2700's or ROV hybrids.

I would like an opinion on the Maha chargers,as they do sell a number of different types. Specifically,what do you think of the Maha travel chargers and their ability to fast charge,is that a bad thing? Fast charging can be useful,but then again most posts seem to suggest that it has a negative effect on the preformance of batteries. If that is true,why then would Maha sell them?

I use a Maha C9000 at home. I've had it for maybe 8 months and I think it's great. Before that I used the Maha MH-C401FS and I still use it for traveling. For all around use the C401FS has been my favorite charger (it beats the C9000 because I can easily take it with me). The C401FS is switchable to either slow (AA: 300mA, AAA: 200mA) or fast (1000mA). I always set it to slow unless I'm pressed for time.

It's true that the faster you recharge a battery, the harder it is on the battery. I don't think Maha is doing anything wrong by offering fast charges. It's a trade off - do you want a fast charge or do you want the most capacity and life out of your battery?

BTW, I really recommend a charger that charges individual batteries instead of pairs. No two batteries are the same, so charging them together will not get the most out of them.

Edited by Egnix

I also bought some Imedion low-drain rechargables & threw-out all my old Uniross ones.

I hope you meant that you recycled your old batteries. Rechargeables should never be thrown out in the trash.

Edited by Egnix
I would like an opinion on the Maha chargers,as they do sell a number of different types. Specifically,what do you think of the Maha travel chargers and their ability to fast charge,is that a bad thing? Fast charging can be useful,but then again most posts seem to suggest that it has a negative effect on the preformance of batteries. If that is true,why then would Maha sell them?

I use a Maha C9000 at home. I've had it for maybe 8 months and I think it's great. Before that I used the Maha MH-C401FS and I still use it for traveling. For all around use the C401FS has been my favorite charger (it beats the C9000 because I can easily take it with me). The C401FS is switchable to either slow (AA: 300mA, AAA: 200mA) or fast (1000mA). I always set it to slow unless I'm pressed for time.

It's true that the faster you recharge a battery, the harder it is on the battery. I don't think Maha is doing anything wrong by offering fast charges. It's a trade off - do you want a fast charge or do you want the most capacity and life out of your battery?

BTW, I really recommend a charger that charges individual batteries instead of pairs. No two batteries are the same, so charging them together will not get the most out of them.

That was a very informative reply,thank you! I went out and purchased a set of 4 Maha 2700 batteries and put them in my inexpensive fast charger. Generally it would charge up my 4 non-rated ROV nimh batteries in less than 3 hours as it charges at 500mA. I was a bit concerned about putting a good set of Maha batteries in it,but thought it was worth a try before going out and spending good money on a Maha charger. It took 8 hours to finally get them initially charged,which was a bit worrying as I thought there was something wrong with the charger. I put them in my Colorado last night to see how long they would last compared to the ROV's. With the compass off,map north up,track on and backlight off I would get 7.5 hours out off them before the Colorodo would shut itself off. To my suprise I checked the battery meter a short while ago and it had just changed to two green bars or 50%,not bad after 13 hours?

I hope you meant that you recycled your old batteries. Rechargeables should never be thrown out in the trash.

Er no, I threw them out.

Oops :D

In your defense (maybe): not all communities make recycling batteries easy. I've been saving my old batteries for about 3 years now, and my recycling ship has just come in, as my work place (a local campus of Penn State University) has just begun to accept batteries for recycling. Prior to that I had to hand them off to a friend who lives several hundred miles away in a large city that has a comprehensive recycling plan in place.

Egnix is entirely right, though. One great thing about rechargeables is that they cut down the need for recycling substantially.

Er no, I threw them out.

Oops :D

Well, I'd be surprised if drycell batteries are recyled in the context of recycling as aluminum cans are recycled. I expect that the only difference is that they end up in a different landfill.

Well after reading these few posts and some others on another Colorado thread, I sprung for the Maha MH-C204W Black World Charger and some batteries. I suppose I did the right the thing...the charger seems to do a variety of things and seems like one I could use on all of my AA rechargeable batteries. I hope I get the same good results a few of you seem to have gotten :D .

Well, I'd be surprised if drycell batteries are recyled in the context of recycling as aluminum cans are recycled. I expect that the only difference is that they end up in a different landfill.

How about partially surprised, depending on your community and who they work with. There are companies that will properly recycle a battery to get to the contents. However, in some communities, the recycled batteries are simply segregated and sent to a different landfill specializing in industrial waste. The only way to know for sure is to ask.

How do I know this? I work for a company with a flip flop and sunglass wearing, drum playing pink bunny acting as the official spokesbunny.

I am also a huge fan of Maha bateries and chargers. I have also had good luck with the Eneloop batteries as well.

[

I read a study somewhere that you do not want to charge NiMh batteries too slowly or they crystalize and don't hold as much charge, so faster is better; however, I suspect there is a point where you can charge too fast.

How about partially surprised, depending on your community and who they work with. There are companies that will properly recycle a battery to get to the contents. However, in some communities, the recycled batteries are simply segregated and sent to a different landfill specializing in industrial waste. The only way to know for sure is to ask.

How do I know this? I work for a company with a flip flop and sunglass wearing, drum playing pink bunny acting as the official spokesbunny.

I'm surprised to the point of incredulous! :P

You mean, they open up an AA NIMH, take out the guts, chemically reconstitute the innards as if they were new and then put them back in a new (or like-new) shell? :P

I'm surprised to the point of incredulous! :P

You mean, they open up an AA NIMH, take out the guts, chemically reconstitute the innards as if they were new and then put them back in a new (or like-new) shell? :P

Probably not any more so than to take a plastic Pepsi bottle and beat it w/ a hammer to make it a Coke

bottle, Im sure that the process is somewhat more elaborate than your suggestion.

I work for a Public Utility (Yeah strange to hear about P/U Rail Roads but there are a couple), our cities

waste management has implemented curbside pick-up of recycling. In our instance it is recommended that

batteries be placed in zip-lock bags so that the poor sod who sorts through this stuff has an easier time

of it. I go one step further and separate the batteries by chemistry as well, makes his job a little easier.

In my profession we service a couple of Garbage/Recycling outfits, I don't envy those poor guys manning

those conveyer belts going through that crap one bit. Kind of makes one think back to some of the Charles

Dickens I read in my youth. Not the greatest of work environments to say the least.

I digress!

What it boils down to is :

It depends on who handles the recycling after it leaves your hands, and how committed they are

to actually 'DO GOOD' as opposed to 'LOOK GOOD'!

Norm

Cowboy Papa, You've brought smile and mirth my way past and I'm sure you will again, thanks,

sometimes I need it.

You mean, they open up an AA NIMH, take out the guts, chemically reconstitute the innards as if they were new and then put them back in a new (or like-new) shell? :o

Think about how a beverage can is recycled. The can is melted down and the aluminum can be used to make other products such as car wheels, mountain bike frames, double pane windows, or even another beverage can. The can is not washed out, relabeled, and used for another beverage.

Batteries are processed in a similar manner. The can is opened to get to the contents. The can is made of steel and can be processed as scrap steel. The internal contents can include plastics, copper, steel, zinc, nickel, manganese, and brass, all of which have scrap value. The nickel is particularly valuable because it has a high scrap value and is relatively easy to recover and reprocess.

People would dispose of things in a proper manner if they new where to do it. I saved years of batteries once (alkaline ones) because the package says to dispose of them safely, or something like that. I called around to radio shack and other electrical places thinking they would take them - they didn't know what I was talking about.

It's one thing to put on a box that something must be exposed of properly, it's another to make sure such a thing exists. Around here on earth day I heard they had a booth where you could dispose of batteries and the like - well what about the rest of the year. What about cell phone batteries.

It's hard to take something seriously when the people making the claims don't seem to take it seriously.

Er no, I threw them out.

Oops :o

In your defense (maybe): not all communities make recycling batteries easy. I've been saving my old batteries for about 3 years now, and my recycling ship has just come in, as my work place (a local campus of Penn State University) has just begun to accept batteries for recycling. Prior to that I had to hand them off to a friend who lives several hundred miles away in a large city that has a comprehensive recycling plan in place.

Egnix is entirely right, though. One great thing about rechargeables is that they cut down the need for recycling substantially.

So what do you think you achomplished in the grand scheme of things. Do you think everyone else saved their batteries, or do you think they just threw them in the trash.

I'm not trying to argue or critasize, I have done the same thing myself in the past. I doubt it did the earth any good when everyone else is throwing them in the trash, which is, believe it or not, what radio shack told me to do with mine.

My saving batteries did nothing but clutter my house and give me a false feeling of do-good. My 50-100 batteries was a drop in the bucket to the tons disposed of improperly.

I'm not saying they should not be disposed of properly, I'm saying that places that sell such items, like cell phones, ect, should at least be able to tell customers what it means to dispose of something properly.

[rant mode off]

I have year old Powerex batteries that now discharge if sitting for a week. When new they seemed to last a couple of weeks. I make sure I use freshly charged batteries when I go out.

The problem was I'd grab my camera for a shot & get the "change batteries flag". I've since bought the newer eneloop batteries that hold the charge a lot longer.

I have year old Powerex batteries that now discharge if sitting for a week. When new they seemed to last a couple of weeks. I make sure I use freshly charged batteries when I go out.

The problem was I'd grab my camera for a shot & get the "change batteries flag". I've since bought the newer eneloop batteries that hold the charge a lot longer.

After 10 charges the batteries should be refreshed. Have you done this?