Encountering Big Teeth and Big Claws on the Trail

slowestmover

I am entering my first spring as a cacher and, as a city slicker caching in and around Kitsap County, was wondering if anyone has any tips or stories to share on what to do when or if confronted by various species of wildlife (particularly the non-benign variety sporting big teeth and big claws) while on the trail. Just want to do the environmentally correct thing, share the trail and get out in one piece. I used to orienteer around the Washington. DC area ten plus years ago and the most wildlife we ever saw there were deer, fox and the occasional lobbyist, but I keep hearing about bears around these parts. Maybe I'm just a hopeless rube and perhaps my worries are unfounded but I keep thinking that cubs are about to be born and momma will be out and about soon?....thanks for any tips you can provide.

I've been hiking for four years now and have only seen a couple of ferocious deer and a herd of elk. Bear sightings are pretty rare. You hear about it a lot because of the large number of people hiking these trails, but it's a fairly safe bet if you hit a popular trail, it is unlikely you'll see anything of relative danger.

Usually, the bears and cougars hear you coming and disappear into the brush without you ever knowing they were there. Sometimes the only sign you might see is a paw print or two or some scat.

Cougars stalk from behind, so keep aware of your surroundings but don't be paranoid. Remember to look behind you now and then and you should be okay as well as see the potential for some great pictures.

If you really feel paranoid, pick up some bear pepper spray and practice on drawing it out to use, pretending to flick the thumb safety guard off. You typically only have about 4 or 5 seconds to react if you run across a particularly aggressive rabbit or even a bear.

If you happen to sight any potentially agressive wildlife, dont run. You'll only look like prey. Don't look directly into their eyes. They take that as a sign of aggression. Back away slowly and speak softly to the animal. If you have a buddy or a small child with you, make sure you can run faster than they can. (j/k :lol: ) Just remember, these events are very rare and it is unlikely you'll run across any wildlife that will pose a hazard to you.

:unsure: Better yet, being a newb to the area, join us for a hike of the month or go with the pokey plodders fun. You'll get a chance to meet some great folks and get a feel for what our trails really have to offer along with what to pack for your adventure. :D

There isn't anything planned for the HOTM this month by me because I have training for the next 5 weekends, but May has shaped up with a great hike (if you're up for a 15 mile hike). I usually pick shorter ones and try to mix it up from relatively easy to difficult.

Edited by TotemLake

Thanks for the tips, especially the one about being able to outrun the small child. No small children caching with me but my husband is always with me on our caching hikes and I think I might be able to outrun him if I am sufficiently motivated. Of course he feels likewise about outrunning me. Thanks also for the info on the hike but 15 miles is way beyond my capabilities.

If you find yourself in the position of being in the back of the group make sure you carry a gun or a big stick. Then if you do encounter something dangerous you can use your gun or stick to dissable one of the other hikers and leaving them as bait while you quickly get away.

Going by your username, I'd definately pack a pistol. I alway do and would never go without. Anything bigger than a 9mm should be sufficient. But honestly, like Totemlake said, the odds are that you won't ever come across anything more viscious that a mean lookin' chipmunk. Ofcourse when it comes to pistols, I like the 'ol saying of "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it". --ML INFIDEL

Edited by MAJOR LEAGUE INFIDEL

The things that usually kill people in the back country are bad weather and other people. I would worry less about the wildlife and more that you're prepared to spend the night out if you have to (extra clothes, food, and know-how). I think hiking with other people is the best insurance against anything going wrong whether it be bears, bad weather, or psychos.

Forty-n-Eight and TL are right. You usually won't run into cougars and bears and the like,but do be aware they are out there and keep your eyes open. Athough I solo hike most of the time, group hiking is the safest to be sure.

I've only had one bear encounter and that was back in 1998 up on Bald Mountain. Hiking around Cutthroat Lakes in August. I remember that it was late in the afternoon...4ish or so when I came over a knoll and he was just a few yards away. We looked at each other for sec and then he bolted the other way.

I did see one cougar with another cacher,but we were in the truck and it was just a brief glimpse as it bolted across the road. I believe this was up around Hadley Falls area give or take.

I always make some noise out there...especially solo hiking. I'll talk to myself and look behind me every so often.

I also try to avoid first light and sunset times, but not always possible.

Any rate, inform others where you are going and have first aid, extra food, etc in your pack. The Ten Essentials. have fun out there!

I always make some noise out there...especially solo hiking.

I've heard of people tying small bells onto their shoelaces and carrying pepper spray to ward off bears. That might help for black bear but don't count on it for grizzly or kodiaks (which we don't have in western Washington anyway). The best way to tell what kind of bears are around is to look at their scat. Black bear scat will be dark and often contain the undigested seeds of berries. Grizzly scat will smell like pepper spray and contain small bells. grin.gif

But seriously, our black bears are very unlikely to trouble you. They really are scared of people. One time while out deer hunting I came across a mother black bear with 2 cubs. One of the cubs quickly climbed up a tree. The other cub ran away. The mother ran with the 2nd cub abandoning the treed cub.

Cougars are a much more serious threat. This website has some good advice for dealing with cougars.

Link to website

Edited by square_peg
I always make some noise out there...especially solo hiking.

I've heard of people tying small bells onto their shoelaces and carrying pepper spray to ward off bears. That might help for black bear but don't count on it for grizzly or kodiaks (which we don't have in western Washington anyway). The best way to tell what kind of bears are around is to look at their scat. Black bear scat will be dark and often contain the undigested seeds of berries. Grizzly scat will smell like pepper spray and contain small bells. grin.gif

But seriously, our black bears are very unlikely to trouble you. They really are scared of people. One time while out deer hunting I came across a mother black bear with 2 cubs. One of the cubs quickly climbed up a tree. The other cub ran away. The mother ran with the 2nd cub abandoning the treed cub.

Cougars are a much more serious threat. This website has some good advice for dealing with cougars.

Link to website

Great link! it should be pointed out that while direct eye contact is good with cougars, with bears, you don't want to engage direct eye contact as that may cause aggression from the bear.

I always heard that to tell them apart, climb a tree. If it climbs up after you, it's a black bear. If it knocks the tree down, it's a brown bear.

Outside of the Olympics, I've only had one live encounter with a bear while hiking (over 40 years) - and I only noticed because of the noise he made while running away.

I think this is a great thread, and will be a great reference to those of us in beginning stages of hiking in the wilderness.There has been some great info from the experienced, as well as a great link too. Thanks for starting this thread, and to any one that has posted so far. I will definitely be monitoring it from now on. Maybe, if anyone sees any of these animals while hiking they can post here where and when they saw them as well.

I think hiking with other people is the best insurance against anything going wrong whether it be bears, bad weather, or psychos.

This can't be repeated too often. Very good advice.

Nothing is absolute. Well, except vodka.

That's messed up.

I probably shouldn't have read *that* to my wife. She's never going to let me go hiking alone again!

Only once have I actually seen a bear while Hiking and that was up in the Pasayten Wilderness. It was a sow with two cubs and we gave her a very wide bearth. There have been several times in the Cascades that I have come upon fresh bear scat, that WASNT there on the way in 20 minutes ago!

Far more likely than bear, at least in the populated lowlands is cougar or mountain lion. Thanks to some severe hunting restrictions, the cat population has skyrocketed and they have not exactly been shy about approaching people, especially children.

I'm always packing on the trail and have never had the need to unholster my sidearm for any kind of beast, four legged or two. I hope I never have to, but it's there if I need it.

I am entering my first spring as a cacher and, as a city slicker caching in and around Kitsap County, was wondering if anyone has any tips or stories to share on what to do when or if confronted by various species of wildlife (particularly the non-benign variety sporting big teeth and big claws) while on the trail. Just want to do the environmentally correct thing, share the trail and get out in one piece. I used to orienteer around the Washington. DC area ten plus years ago and the most wildlife we ever saw there were deer, fox and the occasional lobbyist, but I keep hearing about bears around these parts. Maybe I'm just a hopeless rube and perhaps my worries are unfounded but I keep thinking that cubs are about to be born and momma will be out and about soon?....thanks for any tips you can provide.

Last year we went on a large hike and apparently had just missed a bear who had feasted on another animal because the skat was full of hairy skin...Please read the info at the attached link and hopefully that will help you. I have never heard of doing some of the things posted by other cachers but I am by far no expert in this area nor do I want to become one :laughing:http://www.wikihow.com/Escape-from-a-Bear

I hope that is of use to everyone

Celtic Cacher Clan

I know others will disagree with me, but let me put my two cents in.

I am small, female and hike and run alone regularly in the wilderness- have done so for many years.

The three things that I usually think of in terms of danger are:

1) The most dangerous part of the whole trip is the drive to the trailhead.

2) The most danger to me on the trail is not having the right gear in my pack.

3) The worst decision I can make is to not turn back when I should've(I'm a looper). This is something I regularly struggle with. So far, my poor decisions have cost me alot of time and just a few scares.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you carry a firearm, you are much more likely to get injured in a shooting accident! I dont think a gun will protect you from an animal unless you are an expert marksman with lightening quick relfexes and mucho luck.

Fear not slowestmover, experiencing the Great Outdoors alone with Mother Nature is a safe and healty thing.

best wishes,

the cfm

I know others will disagree with me, but let me put my two cents in.

I am small, female and hike and run alone regularly in the wilderness- have done so for many years.

The three things that I usually think of in terms of danger are:

1) The most dangerous part of the whole trip is the drive to the trailhead.

2) The most danger to me on the trail is not having the right gear in my pack.

3) The worst decision I can make is to not turn back when I should've(I'm a looper). This is something I regularly struggle with. So far, my poor decisions have cost me alot of time and just a few scares.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you carry a firearm, you are much more likely to get injured in a shooting accident! I dont think a gun will protect you from an animal unless you are an expert marksman with lightening quick relfexes and mucho luck.

Fear not slowestmover, experiencing the Great Outdoors alone with Mother Nature is a safe and healty thing.

best wishes,

the cfm

Yup

Saw a cougar in my headlights once.

Came around a corner on a trail deep in the woods to find a bobcat going the same way and hunting...I was about 10' or 15' behind.. he didn't notice me for quite aways... boy did I put the fear of God in him :)

Have seen numerous bears. Came through the bushes once to find several bears very close. I yelled "Hey! Go away!" The closest one sat down and said "Who the hell are you?" I walked on down the mountain.

Had one sniff me at night, or so I was told. Good thing I didn't wake up.

A grizzly in the yukon...My God what power! Good thing he used it to run the other way!

Walked amidst mountain goats more than once, but once a Mountain Goat didn't want to give up the trail in a narrow spot for a second time when I returned going the other way. He lowered those spikey horns, sat back on his hunches and I jumped off the trail as quick as I could.

Bear sightings show up in a few Alaskan cache logs each year. However, this week was the first time that I am aware of that someone got bear muggled while hiding a cache (Big Gnarly).

500938f8-01f0-42d0-96bf-201480c26dd0.jpg

A recent article in the Anchorage Daily News cited the effectiveness of pepper spray as a more effective bear deterent than a firearm. I choose to carry neither a firearm or spray (just don't want to mess with either one) and after nearly twenty years of rambling around the Alaskan backcounty, I never had a situation where I wanted either.

1. Don't run (see article for what can happen if you do).

2. Make noise (talk, sing, wear bells, put bells on your dogs)...most bears will go out of their way to avoid human interaction.

3. Have fun! Humans are much more dangerous than critters in the back country.

Other points to ponder are provide in Denali National Park's Bear Safety publication.

I had an interesting bear encounter in October 2006 while looking for a now archived "What A Nice Stump" cache (GCXRYC) on Mt Pilchuck. I was walking along toward the cache when a large black bear ambled onto the path ahead and then sat there about 100ft away. I stopped dead in my tracks and we stared at each other for awhile. I didn't make any noise (I guess I should have to tried to scare him off). I had heard that most bears (especially black bears) are afraid of people, but this one seemed content to stay put. I eventually backed slowly away from the bear and went back to the van. But even with this encounter, I would have to say that for the most part, the most dangerous things that one may encounter hiking are probably other hikers, hunters or poison oak and nettles. Bear and cougar attacks are pretty rare and snakes are not an issue on the west side of the mountains.

Edited by Joe & the JAE Family

I heard a catchy rhyme that stuck in my head a couple of years ago and have used it since, not that it's done me a lot of good since I've never enountered either, but just in case I ever do I'm ready --

Cat look at,

Bear don't stare.

We prolly don't see any wildlife because we are noisy on trail. Lots of times, as it usually happens, our group of hikers gets sprawled out. To keep conected we give a little "Caaaaaw!! Caaaaaw! Caaaaaw!" at various intervals until we can hear our peeps ahead of us (since we usually bring up the rear there is rarely anyone behind us).

So, word up if you're on the trail and you hear the sound of human cawing turn around and give a wave, that's just us ya'll.

My father-in-law once gave me this advice for the trail. If you are going to carry a side arm on the trail, make sure you save the last bullet for yourself.

The thing with bears is that most side arms that you would carry will not kill a bear unless to shoot it point blank. Don't know about anyone else, but my aim would not be that good under pressure. Before I had kids I would take the dog with me every where. Dogs always know before people when there is wildlife nearby. Maybe you have a dog that could go with you?

This is a great thread with some really good advice. Some of it may seem trivial but it will really help in case of an emergency.

To date I've seen one rattlesnake while caching. I've found bear scat. I've encountered moose but I was fishing at that time. Antelope. I can spot them but not until after they spotted me and put 1000 yards between us. Deer, all the time. Cougar? Dang ghosts. I know they are there but I've never seen one, heard one, or known of one. The most scared I've been was when I encountered some baby skunk...Mom had to be close and I didn't want to be on the receiving end of her displeasure.

Groups tend to make enough noise to where anything that could cause you a problem will amble off before you knew it was there.

Looks like I need to get out with EraSeek to change my luck with critters.

To date I've seen one rattlesnake while caching. I've found bear scat. I've encountered moose but I was fishing at that time. Antelope. I can spot them but not until after they spotted me and put 1000 yards between us. Deer, all the time. Cougar? Dang ghosts. I know they are there but I've never seen one, heard one, or known of one. The most scared I've been was when I encountered some baby skunk...Mom had to be close and I didn't want to be on the receiving end of her displeasure.

I encountered four rattlesnakes in one afternoon, one of them twice! :) They wuz angry, too! Just ask lucyandrickie. We were caching in the Ancient Lakes area. Pre-caching, I've run into a few rattlers hiking and orienteering.

No cougar, but two bobcats. One standing in the middle of the road on the Olympic Peninsula. The other caught a hare right in front of me when I was hunting a cache in the snow in New Mexico. He went up the other side of the draw with the dead rabbit in his mouth, looked at me, and went behind the rocks to have lunch.

Plenty of bear scat and sign, but the only actual bears I've encountered have been in front of my car (ambling along!).

Heard a big elk thunder by in the trees when I was caching with GeekGirl near Blewett Pass. Only moose I've seen were non-caching trips in the Rockies.

Came upon a skunk by a stream a few years back during an orienteering competition. I chose another route.

I have encountered large wild pigs and turkeys (in California), both of which are more likely to attack you than bears or cougars.

Edited by hydnsek