Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
NotQuiteTheBest

Studying for my HAM radio license!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently studying for my technician radio license from one of ARRLs books that I got from the public library. Going to take my test on April 2nd. Any tips?

I'm 16 and looking forward to bringing my radio on geocaching trips with friends!

While studying for my Tech Class license last October I found taking practice tests online to be very helpful. Check out the practice tests at aa9pw.com if you're interested.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby!

Hey everyone,

I'm currently studying for my technician radio license from one of ARRLs books that I got from the public library. Going to take my test on April 2nd. Any tips?

I'm 16 and looking forward to bringing my radio on geocaching trips with friends!

We're expecting you to post how you did tommorow night. :)

Hey everyone,

You will make close friends that will still be your close friends 60 years from now.

Don WA9CED (1962)

Edited by donc30

I am very curious as to how you get into the hobby of HAM Radio. Any care to give me a brief rundown of the hobby and what basic equipment is necessary. Normally I would ask someone that I already know, unfortunately no one I know shares this hobby. Long time listener to shortwave and police scanners. Looking to branch out a little. Thanks.

I am very curious as to how you get into the hobby of HAM Radio.

Hi, "Bombdawgy." There's a very good introduction to amateur radio on the website of the ARRL, the nationwide ham organization in the U.S. You'll get lots of questions answered there! Oh, and by the way, no need to go to the effort of capitalizing "HAM." It isn't an acronym.

The information on that page includes a list of ham clubs. There's almost certainly one in your area, maybe even on the base itself. The local hams will be happy to show you the different types of equipment you can buy, and help you find a class and testing session.

Good luck!

Patty N6BIS

I am very curious as to how you get into the hobby of HAM Radio.

Hi, "Bombdawgy." There's a very good introduction to amateur radio on the website of the ARRL, the nationwide ham organization in the U.S. You'll get lots of questions answered there! Oh, and by the way, no need to go to the effort of capitalizing "HAM." It isn't an acronym.

The information on that page includes a list of ham clubs. There's almost certainly one in your area, maybe even on the base itself. The local hams will be happy to show you the different types of equipment you can buy, and help you find a class and testing session.

Good luck!

Patty N6BIS

And I'd add, don't feel that you have to take a class to pass the test for your license. Some people prefer the interaction of a classroom environment, while others would rather just pick up a book (or even go to the library) and read/study on their own. Whatever floats your boat. Either way, checking in with a local club, you will find a whole bunch of nice people who are eager to help you and answer any questions you might have.

As Patty said, Good Luck!

Snake (Rich) KI6PPF

Edited by Snake & Rooster

<previous stuff deleted>

And I'd add, don't feel that you have to take a class to pass the test for your license. Some people prefer the interaction of a classroom environment, while others would rather just pick up a book (or even go to the library) and read/study on their own. Whatever floats your boat.

Good point, Rich. I hope he/she can at least find a nearby club, just to see what local hams are doing. But even if that club offers a class, it certainly isn't the only way to prepare for the licensing test.

Patty

ham is easy and fun and there are some great people doing it. Class or book is all good. check out the arrl web for more info.

73's

kg4rhl

I start my classes with a local club on May 1st, for two weekends.

I think the benefits will be: making friends with my classmates, immediate help with points I may be unclear, insructors who can help separate the wheat from the chaff when prepaing for the final test.

I'm going for my basic (70% grade) or basic with honours (80% grade).

Don't see where you came back to brag about passing.

Practice tests available at qrz.com

Hmmm .... are you referring to my post??

If so - you are so waaaaay off base.

I was not bragging about passing.

Read it again.

I have not passed any course.

I do not even start my course until May 1st.

I was talking about personal benefits of going to classes with a local club.

With regards to passing scores:

I only was referring to requirements.

A pass mark of 70% is minimum to get a basic license.

The license will be catagorized as "Basic", meaning there are some limitations.

A pass mark of 80% is required to be able to transmit with less limitations.

The license will be catagorized as "Basic with Honours", meaning there will be less restrictions than "Basic", but still more restrictions than "Basic with Advanced".

So .... do you think I am bragging, just because I want to try to do my very best on a test that I have not even taken yet?

Rather than get into an argument, I will just say that I think your post was rude and not what I would expect from a ham radio person.

And yes, I have downloaded all the pre-course reading material, including the practice test module, which I use every night.

I am in Canada, and our license terminology may be different ..... but still

Chill out there, Geoclam. :P

I'm pretty sure they were posting in reference to the original poster. No need to read between the lines there and assume they were calling you out for something. :D

Hi,

K5AFB here.

I'm a volunteer examiner here in Louisiana. One thing I'd like to point out. Make sure you're studying the latest study guide. The test for Tech changed a year or so ago and although the basic knowledge is the same, the question pools have changed. On the Tech test one of the major things is the rules and regulations. Make sure you're up on this.

taking the test tomorrow!... it's easy enough. I've also looked at the General test, but don't have enough time for it this time.

I just got my HAM license 2 months ago. Spend time on qrz.com taking the quizzes. There are a lot of practice quizzes but they have every possible exam question. Good luck!!

While I'm glad to see new hams in the day of cell phones I want to say; if you're going to go for a license all you need to do is get the study software and sit with it for a month a couple of hours a day. This is not a hard test. No code required anymore just a bunch of rules to read.

Hmmm .... are you referring to my post??

If so - you are so waaaaay off base.

I was not bragging about passing.

Read it again.

I have not passed any course.

I do not even start my course until May 1st.

I was talking about personal benefits of going to classes with a local club.

With regards to passing scores:

I only was referring to requirements.

A pass mark of 70% is minimum to get a basic license.

The license will be catagorized as "Basic", meaning there are some limitations.

A pass mark of 80% is required to be able to transmit with less limitations.

The license will be catagorized as "Basic with Honours", meaning there will be less restrictions than "Basic", but still more restrictions than "Basic with Advanced".

So .... do you think I am bragging, just because I want to try to do my very best on a test that I have not even taken yet?

Rather than get into an argument, I will just say that I think your post was rude and not what I would expect from a ham radio person.

And yes, I have downloaded all the pre-course reading material, including the practice test module, which I use every night.

I am in Canada, and our license terminology may be different ..... but still

WHOAAA! Often wondered about the Yank/Canuck thing... :(:)

Glad your doing the ham test and not getting on CB!

Other hams will probably tolerate your short fuse thats bound to show on air sometime... :D

Anyway good luck in the test, hope you get it OK and can DX the world while geocaching.