Cache swag

Hi gang!

I'm brand new to geocaching and have a question about cache etiquette.

I have a ton of advertising swag from my company that I was thinking of swapping in caches -- stuff like tape measures, screwdrivers, tire pressure gauges, coozies -- all with my company logo on them. Is it bad form to leave stuff that could is designed for commercial purposes?

It's all stuff that I really like, but I kinda feel like a company shill leaving it behind. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

As long as it's not in your company-themed cache I don't see a problem with it. What if you had swag from a trade show from other companies that you wanted to use? Would you be more comfortable being a "shill" for someone else's company?

As long at it fits the guidelines of safe swag, go for it!

Hi gang!

I have a ton of advertising swag from my company that I was thinking of swapping in caches -- stuff like tape measures, screwdrivers, tire pressure gauges, coozies -- all with my company logo on them. Is it bad form to leave stuff that could is designed for commercial purposes?

It's all stuff that I really like, but I kinda feel like a company shill leaving it behind. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

A lot better then most of the stuff I find in caches.

Hi gang!

Thanks!

Send one of each to me, and I will let you know what I think.

:unsure::huh:

If it was me I would think it was cool to find swag like that. :)

Go for it.

Just this last weekend we picked up a tape measure and a night light that were company advertising and we have also picked up lanyards. This stuff can be darn useful no matter what name is on it.

Just had a thought...I've worked for my company for 6 1/2 years and the only thing (besides paperwork) I have with the company name/logo is a coffee mug that I won in my forst week with the company (and we had a different name then!).

Well, thanks everybody for the encouragement and the input! I don't feel so bad now.

Crawil -- I prolly would have been more comfortable leaving something from another company! It's kinda stupid now that I thing about it.

Bigdaddy Mark -- check's in the mail, my brutha!

Gumbo -- that reminds me. I think we have a box filled with lanyards somewhere, too.

RedSky -- I work for a newspaper and while I've worked at other papers that had occasional freebies, I've never worked for one that had as many, or as many good ones as my current one does. The coozies are probably the cheesiest thing we do. Although, we got in this thing the other day that's a combination pastry brush and pastry cutter -- I'm sure that would be useful to somebody!

It's always nice to find something you can use instead of having to pick useless swag that you'll probably drop off at your next cache. Part of the fun for me is not knowing what you're going to find in a cache. If I find something neat and noone else has picked it up I'll go ahead and swap something for it. Such is the joy of geocaching.

This has been a topic with me currently because I'm a "newbie". I've recently been offered some pretty cool swag items from my husbands and formal employers company. I have been questioning placing these items because of the "commercial name"...then I asked myself one question, how many items have I seen with corporation names/trademarks.....nearly ALL of them!!! Unless an item is homemade, it's an item by a FOR-PROFIT corporation. Cars, notebooks, cheapy items purchased at the local $ store, crayons, toys from a meal, books etc. all embark (for the most part) a corporation name or trademark. If for instance I leave a pencil, am I "advertising" THAT companies merchandise? If that specific company or it's employee didn't place the cache, it's always open for debate.

I work for a promotional products distributor, or, more specifically, a promotional products franchisor. I get swag like this coming through my office like you wouldn't believe. A number of our suppliers will send stuff with our logo as samples. If I were to place a cache and yes, I do work for the company that's on the swag, are you saying that would be bad form? It's not my goal to advertise the company (we don't actually sell the stuff, we sell franchises to people who do want to sell the stuff), but just to put some cool swag in a container.