Could I have your opinions on a sig item idea?

Our nic being 'Buildingblocks', we were thinking we could use a small block of wood and somehow imprint our five childrens' initials and 'team Buildingblocks' on the six sides of the block, making it look like the old wooden blocks. We are pretty crafty, and I'm thinking of making a simple stencil for each side, carving with the dremel, then painting. We haven't done tons of caching, and frankly, I'm trying to get my hubby a little more excited about it, and I'm hoping he'll 'get it' a bit more if we have something meaningful to leave. Anyhoo, since this obviously wouldn't fit in micros, we would probably only go through a couple dozen in a season.

1) Does this sound like way too much work for a sig item?

2) Is using my children's initials a bad idea? I keep that info off the internet, but I don't see the problem with putting it on an item that will only be seen by a few people. I'm not planning on imprinting it with our home address. :unsure:

3) What size block would work well? I'm thinking 1.5" or so so there is room for detail. Hubby is concerned with that being too big for many caches.

4) Do you think this would be a cool thing to find?

Edited by Buildingblocks

Our nic being 'Buildingblocks', we were thinking we could use a small block of wood and somehow imprint our five childrens' initials and 'team Buildingblocks' on the six sides of the block, making it look like the old wooden blocks. We are pretty crafty, and I'm thinking of making a simple stencil for each side, carving with the dremel, then painting. We haven't done tons of caching, and frankly, I'm trying to get my hubby a little more excited about it, and I'm hoping he'll 'get it' a bit more if we have something meaningful to leave. Anyhoo, since this obviously wouldn't fit in micros, we would probably only go through a couple dozen in a season.

1) Does this sound like way too much work for a sig item?

2) Is using my children's initials a bad idea? I keep that info off the internet, but I don't see the problem with putting it on an item that will only be seen by a few people. I'm not planning on imprinting it with our home address. :unsure:

3) Would you think this would be a cool thing to find?

I'm thinking you should come cache here in Sweden and leave more than one in my caches so I could go find them!!!

WONDERFUL idea!!

Naomi :huh:

That would be a very nice thing to find. I love finding personal things in a cache. It makes it a little more personal than the fast food toys. I am trying to come up with a personal trinket for myself.

Great Idea, I would love to see a picture of it when you are done.

I love it! You could also hide a cache where the cacher finds an ammo box full of kid's blocks with an additional logging requirement of taking and posting a picture of themselves with their cache handle spelled out in blocks! (This is not an original idea...I found such a cache one time)

I think it is a great idea. We love signature items and wish more cachers would get involved in making good quality signature items. Something else you could do is come up with each of your children their own caching name that has to do with your main name. We cache as Team Gingerbread and my daughter is known as Baby Ginger. We log all caches as Team Gingerbread but when referring to her on the logs I'll say something like Baby Ginger found it etc.

Tami

I really hope I can rally my troops to do this. My oldest (Babyblock#1, even though he is 16!) is saying I should just buy a set, sand down one side, and stamp it with a team stamp. I think that would be OK, but the initials would be more personal.

I was actually thinking that it would be easier to paint the blocks while they are blank, then dremel away the "background"- painting will go much faster.

We'd love to head over to the valley soon- we actually have tentative plans to go tour the dam before the pass gets icky next fall. Who knows- keep your eyes peeled, you may spot us!

Have you thought of woodburning it, instead of carving/painting?

It would be faster and just as pretty, I think. My dad used to do woodburning when I was a kid. It's pretty neat, I think. And not so complicated that you couldn't have your kids "help" with their own initial.

~Ariel

I think they sound cute.

If you are concerned about using your children's initials (and I don't think that would worry me too much), perhaps you could use a simple graphic to represent each of them? A favorite thing (frogs, angels, flowers, car) or something that starts with the same letter as their initial (Frog for Freddy).

Sounds like a GREAT item!

Personally I wouldn't be worried about sharing the kids initials, but I'm not a parent. The idea of a graphic or nickname to represent them. I would certainly get the kids involved in the design/production at some level.

Another way to achieve a similar look would be to make a hand carved rubberstamp for each of the sides, and find an ink to use that is permanant. Each side could even be a different color. For smaller Caches you could make some small cards printed with blocks on them and the same images as the real blocks, or you could make really tiny ones (like the size of a die), the rubberstamps would be great for these.

You guys are awesome! I'll blow these ideas past the Garage Department and Craft Department and see what they say.

Hey Robert, quick OT: Do you have anything to do with the homeschool curriculum Write Shop?

Not me...My name comes from the notecards and notebooks I make using my photography, and that one day I hope to open a stationary store called "Robert's Write Shop", fine pens, papers, and journals.(I guess when I retire in 50 years)

We'd love to head over to the valley soon- we actually have tentative plans to go tour the dam before the pass gets icky next fall. Who knows- keep your eyes peeled, you may spot us!

I'll be here and we have many fun and interesting hides here. Those Sig Blocks still sound like a great idea.

That sounds like it would be a wonderful addition to the sig items cachers leave behind. I personally leave a domino with some kind of art on the back of it. Some of them take me only minutes to do but others take 30 minutes or more per item. I leave the quickies ones in the normal caches and I leave the good ones in the caches I like the most. :unsure:

The rubber stamp idea sounds great, and would definitely save a lot of work, but it would be expensive to set up, and the ink isn't as vibrant against the wood as paint. Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion that we are way over designing this little project, something the Craft department chair has tendency to do <sheepish grin>.

Since stamping/carving our whole name would be tricky, hubby is woking on a design with two offset blocks with "B" on the facing sides to maybe stamp. We would then put a card with the same logo and "Team Buildingblocks since 4-05" so people would know who it is.

This is comin' together folks- we're headed off to the craft store tonight to get supplies for prototypes. I really hope our skill and patience is up to this!

Yamone- the dominos sound really cool, and would fit in most caches. What types of things do you do to decorate them?

Rubber stamps would be an excellent way to go.

Someone also suggested Wood burning. From the Walnut Hollow website, you can get a burner and set of letter brands for under $40 plus shipping...

Well, we just got back from the craft store, and picked up the basic 950. I didn't see any letter brands, but we did get a simple stencil set that is the perfect size for the 1.25" blocks we found 3/$1. Yee Haw!

To save time you could get some leg0 blocks which are building blocks and create a reuseable stamp(s) for them. They come in two different sizes which I am sure you know one for infants and one size for 6-7 years old and up. You could even make a set of them one stamp for each person on the team with the goal to find one of each member and when you put them all together the speel out something or say something.

Yamone- the dominos sound really cool, and would fit in most caches. What types of things do you do to decorate them?

I remember a set of dominos that my grandparents had when I was little. Each had pictures of little bugs or animals on them. If I remember right you had to match them up somehow. It was like the normal game of dominos but geared towards children.

:)

I draw all these on dominos with Sharpies. The dominos are not one with dots on them - they are special ones with Southpark characters, spiderman, carebears, etc...

56za4CAvmx0ENhEw6obGSLujFv9uExZR0060.jpg