Multi-Cache protocol?

Hi all,

Dad and I are (were) making two caches, I just realized they would make an awesome muti!

So what is the protocol for a multi? Do you put a log in each stage, or just at the final? I'm planning on a four-stage multi, is this allowed?

Thanks,

Phil Jr.

Most multis have a log only at the last stage. I have been to two that I can recall right now that had logs at the intermediate stages as well; you had to sign each intermediate one in order to get credit for the find.

One of them was six stages, and we found and signed all six. (One smiley.) The other is driving us crazy, because it's a puzzle cache. You need to find stage 1, sign the log, get a particular bit of information from it, solve the puzzle, and go to the final. We have managed to solve the puzzle without finding the info at stage 1, so we know the final coords, but per the cache rules, we can't log a find on it without signing the log at stage 1. And we tried, but we DNF'd that stage! :unsure::huh:

And yes, a four-stage multi is allowed. I don't think there is any specific limit on the number stages (just practical ones).

I forgot this part: for the most part, each stage of a multi will has the coordinates for the next stage. But there are many variations on this. Sometimes, The coordinates for all of the intermediate stages are given right up front; finders can go visit them in any order that they want to, collecting bits of information from each one. Eventually they will collect everything they need to find the final cache.

Sometimes a stage of a multi will have a shortcut in it. It can give direct coords to the next stage, plus a puzzle that gives coordinates to a later stage or to the final, so that finders have the option of taking the long but mentally easier way, or the quick way if they can figure out the shortcut.

Have you found any multis yet?

Edited by the hermit crabs

Other options for simple multi caches:

- First stage is a virtual (or virtuals for more than one). This is useful where you want to bring the cacher to a particular spot but aren't able to hide a physical container there. The cacher uses information obtained at the location to figure out the final coordinates, like from a date on a sign. Final coords at N35 0A.B4C, W89 13.DEF, where the date is MM/DD/YY = AB/CD/EF. It's got to be simple, or the reviewer may insist that it be listed as a Unknown. You can have as many virtual stages as you want.

- First stage contains offset (or projection) info for the second or final. Something like walk 150ft at 180 deg magnetic, or add 0.123 to the northing minutes and subtract 0.345 from the easting minutes.

- First stage contains full coordinates for second, which contains coords for third, etc. This can be repeated as long as you want, but this is the type requiring the most maintenance. Any problem with any single cache in the chain results in a DNF.

- List locations for all preliminary stages on the cache page, each of which contains partial coordinates for the final. Each bit of info for the final is given more than once, so if one stage is missing you can still piece together enough info to find the final.

Finally, there are no official limits as to the number of stages; one local multi has 9 stages. But there are practical limits. Unless you're using virtual stages, the chances of a single stage going missing goes up significantly with each additional stage.