Below ground caching

I'm a fairly new cacher and recently began reading about below ground caches. Here are two near me that I want to explore:

Slime City: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c6-d5c0df1512fe

The Womb: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...81-2d3c5803b32d

I'm interested in hearing any experiences others have had engaging in any below ground caching. Here's some specific questions I have:

How many in your caching party?

Was any lifting required?

What special equipment did you need?

Anybody frightened?

Anybody injured?

How wet and dirty was it?

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)?

Were the difficulties as hard as listed?

Were you successful?

Was the log too wet to sign?

Would you do it again?

Thanks~!

Edited by Coyote Raven

I've found and hidden caches inside mines.

How many in your caching party? Just me or me and my wife

What special equipment did you need? a flashlight (and kneepads for one narrow mineshaft where you had to crawl over sharp rocks)

Anybody frightened? I'm a bit claustrophobic, so I was scared spitless in the narrow mineshaft.

Anybody injured? I think I got a cut on my hand

How wet and dirty was it? The mine where my cache is hidden is quite damp. The one where I found a cache is pretty dry.

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)? Bats and some really strange looking, large insects that look like walking shrimp. I was also worried about winding up face to face with a bear, but didn't happen.

Were the difficulties as hard as listed? No difficulties were listed

Were you successful? Yes

Are you hooked? I guess. I'd do it again.

I'd think it's most likely illegal. If cops caught you lifting a manhole cover, do you think they'd be cool with it?

DCC

With the exception of a long-ago cache which was listed in Sweden at one time, I have never seen an underground ache that requires lifting a manhole cover, and, in the USA, it is primarily sewer lines, rather than storm drain lines, that are accessed via manhole covers, and for sever lines, well... unless a seeker were wearing a full-body protective suit plus air tanks for self-contained breathing apparatus, seeking such a sewer cache would often be DEADLY due to the combination of high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) and the lack of oxygen (which is consumed by microbial activity in the raw sewage) in the airspace in the sewer lines, and then there would be the biohazard contamination/infection possibilities as well.

I did one that was in a large culvert. This was fairly early in the history of geocaching, so it was pretty unique at the time. From the point in the street where the coordinates brought you, the openings to the culvert were down a good slope and a ways off into some trees, so it wasn't even obvious it was there. There were a lot of logs about the coordinates not possibly being right, with replies from the hider and finders to trust your GPS.

Then there was this one.

2051761110_82cd471c0a.jpg

These caves were the remnants of an 1800s sand quarry. The cache was in an area inside where the ceiling had collapsed, creating a sunken garden. In this shot, the cave entrance is to the left, the garden entrance to the right:

2051757732_411b4b7302.jpg

Here's the view looking up from the cache site:

2050978475_6c4075731f.jpg

How many in your caching party? Just me the first time. I was so amazed, I brought my wife, daughter, and in-laws the next day to see it.

What special equipment did you need? Just a flashlight

Anybody frightened? Not by the underground-ness, these are enormous caves. Seeing the giant opening for the first time left me in awe, though.

Anybody injured? No

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)? Frogs and salamanders

Were the difficulties as hard as listed? The hike in was the hard part, and it wasn't that bad.

Were you successful? Yes

Are you hooked? Ones like this, sure. I'm too claustrophobic for real caving.

I almost forgot, the same hider had another one that had a stage in a crack cave. We turned the light off to see how dark it was, and immediately, somewhere above us, we heard "eek eek eek eek eek". We turned the light on and got out fast!

Edited by Dinoprophet

I'd think it's most likely illegal. If cops caught you lifting a manhole cover, do you think they'd be cool with it?

DCC

I haven't seen one that required man hole access.

But there are definitely caches published on this site where the entrance to the storm sewer didn't involve lifting a manhole cover, but the instructions warned not to try to climb up and exit the manhole cover above, as it was in the middle of a busy street.

I don't have anything against them, in fact, some of them look fun. I just can't see how it could possibly be legal. Anyone ever get permission from a city/county/agency for one?

Just curious,

DCC

Edited by Driver Carries Cache

We've done 2 underground and they were very different, so I'll answer this twice!

The light at the end of the tunnel - GC117QN - Southern California, Orange County

How many in your caching party? 5 - Mom, Dad, 3 kids

Was any lifting required? Nope

What special equipment did you need? Flashlights

Anybody frightened? A bit at first, but everyone got over it.

Anybody injured? Nope

How wet and dirty was it? It turned out to be rather clean!

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)? None

Were the difficulties as hard as listed? No. The difficulty was 4.5, but the ammo can was sitting right there!

Were you successful? Yes

Was the log too wet to sign? No

Would you do it again? Absolutely!

Ka'eleku Cavern Cave Cache - GC76F - Maui

How many in your caching party? 4 - My wife and I and my parents

What special equipment did you need? Flashlights

Anybody frightened? A bit at first, but everyone got over it.

Anybody injured? Nope

How wet and dirty was it? There was dampness all around, but we didn't get wet.

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)? There were some strange looking bugs, but they left us alone.

Were the difficulties as hard as listed? I think they were right on.

Were you successful? Yes

Would you do it again? It's on Maui - I'd go back in a heartbeat to do it again!!!

One of those caches was our 700th find. We did it at night after work with a party of 3, but if I've done similar caches by myself. I suggest taking someone with you. Just remember to take at least two flashlights. As the saying goes, "Two is one, one is none." Headlamps are very nice to use as one of the lights.

Both of those caches can be reached without opening a manhole. It is unlikely that you would meet any animals, though I remember finding a dead rat in one of them. If you're not sure about doing these, try this cache first. It is essentially an underground river that has been covered over. You can stand upright for almost the entire distance.

I was listening to an episode of Podcacher and they discussed this. The cool point of the talk was that one of the GPS makers was going to make a civilian handset with integrated INS (inertial Navigation System).

In a nut shell, the GPS gives the unit a location as always, but there are tiny solid state accelerometers inside that sense movement, and if you move x feet in some direction, it knows that. When you loose the GPS signal, the system will continue to plot a position using 'dead reconing' from the INS.

With a GPS and INS integrated system, it would open up some huge possibilities for caches in caves, etc, where it's a bit harder now without it. Can you do it now without these systems, sure, but if you have a long way to go inside, or it's complex, it's going to be a fun time of measuring and figuring to make sure you are in the right area.

No word on prices.

Yes - this one GCY3GR down here in New Zealand

In answer to your questions:

How many in your caching party? 2 Me and PB

Was any lifting required? no

What special equipment did you need? Flashlights and there should have been another piece of 'technology' that was stored at the first waypoint, but it's batteries were flat and the cache was quite findable without it anyway.

Anybody frightened? PB is a bit nervous in smaller spaces but I loved it (mind you I love caving!)

Anybody injured? Nope

How wet and dirty was it? Water in a few puddles on the floor - no more than you might find out side sometimes, but not at all dirty.

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)? Some insects

Were the difficulties as hard as listed? No. I found both the terrain and the difficulty easier that indicated. Were you successful? Yes

Would you do it again? In a heartbeat! Loved it.

Annie

While I've never done a geocache in a storm sewer, I think exploring them is really fun! Storm sewers are also relatively clean since they basically get flushed every time there is a significant rainfall.

Here are some pics from a storm sewer adventure with one of my friends:

http://www.mattkirkland.com/spelunk.html

For some reason, I always figured it would be against caching guidelines to put anything in a storm sewer. However, if it isn't, I would really love to place a storm sewer cache.

Thanks to everyone who replied with their experiences. Thanks Snake & Rooster for the suggestion of a first below ground cache in my area. And thanks, chaddyboy_2000, for enlightening me about urban spelunking!

NEVER do those if it might rain. PW and DJ had a pretty bad accident because they got caught inside one when it started raining! Some people had used a large skateboard to roll down the tight ones. Good luck!

Have done some . :laughing: To me they are blast. :laughing: Never had to open a manhole. :laughing: Don't think I would. :lol:

The ones I have done you needed a flashlight and rubber boots or hip waders . :laughing:

Have never been hurt. :P Most of the time there is two or three of us. :P I have seen snakes , fish , crayfish, bugs !! :huh:

Its all about the adventure !! ;):rolleyes::o;):D;)

TT II in #1 on my hit list. The only problem is it is a 1,025 miles one way from where I am at !!

Edited by mgoose

... unless a seeker were wearing a full-body protective suit plus air tanks for self-contained breathing apparatus, seeking such a sewer cache would often be DEADLY due to the combination of high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) and the lack of oxygen (which is consumed by microbial activity in the raw sewage) in the airspace in the sewer lines, and then there would be the biohazard contamination/infection possibilities as well.

I second this sentiment. I work in the construction industry and know that confined spaces can be very dangerous. To each his own I guess but something like this would not be worth endangering my family. We're out here to have fun after all! :laughing:

While storm drains can look innocent enough, they can become filled with water VERY quickly. Please be careful out there!

My second ever find was a multi where one of the stages involved an abandoned railroad tunnel. Me and one friend. No lifting or special equiptment, nobody hurt but it was creepy for sure. Not muddy, but definitely damp in there. All in all it was awesome.

... How many in your caching party?

Was any lifting required?

What special equipment did you need?

Anybody frightened?

Anybody injured?

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)?

Were the difficulties as hard as listed?

Were you successful?

Was the log too wet to sign?

Would you do it again?

Thanks~!

Had one inside a cave. You needed to be tall, or have someone to give you a boost. When placing it someone whacked their head on the roof of the cave. Some blood and a nasty welt. Very dusty, Very dirty. No critters, but lots of beer cans and wood from fires that teens always would have going for parties. Log was never wet, But the cache was stolen twice so I gave up on the cache.

DCC

With the exception of a long-ago cache which was listed in Sweden at one time, I have never seen an underground ache that requires lifting a manhole cover, and, in the USA, it is primarily sewer lines, rather than storm drain lines, that are accessed via manhole covers, and for sever lines, well... unless a seeker were wearing a full-body protective suit plus air tanks for self-contained breathing apparatus, seeking such a sewer cache would often be DEADLY due to the combination of high levels of hydrogen sulfide gas (H2S) and the lack of oxygen (which is consumed by microbial activity in the raw sewage) in the airspace in the sewer lines, and then there would be the biohazard contamination/infection possibilities as well.

Which is exactly why I think underground geocaches are a very bad idea.

Don't forget about this famous tunnel cache! I still have yet to do it, I plan on heading up there sometime this summer for my 700th find. Although this cache is not physically inside of the tunnel, there are two others nearby that are.

I've done one below ground cache before (GCMEPC) so I guess I'll fill out this little survey!

How many in your caching party? Just myself

What special equipment did you need? No

Anybody frightened? Not really

Anybody injured? A-ok!

How wet and dirty was it? There was a little stream of water flowing on the floor. Only shoes got wet.

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)? Lots of daddy long leg spiders =P

Were the difficulties as hard as listed? Not really--it's only listed as a 5 star if your claustrophibic.

Were you successful? Yup!

Was the log too wet to sign? No. A bit damp I think.

Would you do it again? As long as it's legal and there are no obvious dangers (e.g. getting flooded out)...sure!

Have fun!

Here's some cool stuff to look at.

The Vanishing Point (a Canadian Urbex site)

Infiltration (a webzine dedicated to urban exploration, including storm drains)

Lots of links from both of these sites, particularly the Vanishing Point.

Some of the photography on the Vanishing Point is amazing.

I first found The Vanishing Point from BLDG BLOG which is a cool site focused on architecture.

StumpWater

Be safe if you do this. Don't even consider a sewer. Go in a group of three or more. Don't go in a storm drain if there's ANY possibility of rain. Bring multiple light sources, extra batteries. Tell people where you're going, in writing, kinda like a kayak float plan. When/where you'll enter, when you should be back. Don't overreach. Etc.

Awesome! That'd be one for a cache party.

Three words...

Tube Torcher Two

Read OZGUFF's logs on this one. He is very detailed in the experience. I believe he attempted Tube Torcher one as well

You asked for it, so here it is:

My DNF Log After 10 Hours Of Exertion Day One

My Find Log After One More Hour Day Two

And at no additional cost to you, my Find log for the original Tube Torcher:

Tube Torcher log

Don't forget about this famous tunnel cache! I still have yet to do it, I plan on heading up there sometime this summer for my 700th find. Although this cache is not physically inside of the tunnel, there are two others nearby that are.

I've done one below ground cache before (GCMEPC) so I guess I'll fill out this little survey!

How many in your caching party? Just myself

What special equipment did you need? No

Anybody frightened? Not really

Anybody injured? A-ok!

How wet and dirty was it? There was a little stream of water flowing on the floor. Only shoes got wet.

What critters were observed (human or otherwise)? Lots of daddy long leg spiders =P

Were the difficulties as hard as listed? Not really--it's only listed as a 5 star if your claustrophibic.

Were you successful? Yup!

Was the log too wet to sign? No. A bit damp I think.

Would you do it again? As long as it's legal and there are no obvious dangers (e.g. getting flooded out)...sure!

Have fun!

Been there and odne that. Great fun! Definitely dark and wet on the way to the cache and very often at the cache.

Over here in UK there are quite a few caches hidden in caves. There's one particularly well-known series called the UnderWorld series which consists of seven 35ml film containers in caves which give you clues to solving the UnderWorld Bonus. The series has been set up by an experienced caver who has chosen caves which are "safe enough" for sensible cachers to enter. I had great fun doing the series with one caching friend and anyone who wants to read all my logs can look back on my profile to 8th/9th June 2007, but here's my log for the final UW Bonus Cave.

Just two of us went into the caves, with one other who remained outside in case of any problems.

No lifting required. We wore hard hats and kneepads and took plenty of light and spare batteries. Neither of us had done any caving before (other than visiting "show caves") so we were a little apprehensive to start off, but we just took it slowly and steadily. No critters other than a few spiders near the cave entrances. No injuries other than a few bruises to legs. Yes, they were 4.5* and 5* difficulty caches, but this is a subjective rating - it depends how comfortable you are with darkness and confined spaces. Yes, we were successful, the log book was fine, and we left a few jeeps in there. Would I do it again? Yes, absolutely! A unique caching experience. :huh:

MrsB

I did find a Minnesota Ordinance that says the following: "511.50. Removal of manhole covers. No person shall take off or remove the cover from any sewer or water manhole in the streets or use such manhole for any purpose whatever, without first obtaining a permit therefor from the city engineer. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 614.050)"

Someone (not a cacher to my knowledge) was recently arrested for accessing the sewers through a manhole.

Lots of caves with caches in Alabama.

Here I am in 3 Caves and a Swimming Hole

EdinCave.jpg

The AGA has an event coming uo where we will have dinner then go caving,

GC1KRAR

Contact CaverScott and CaverJules, the hosts of that event, for info on caching in caves all over the US.

Plenty around here in tunnels as well... do a name search to see "Belly of the Beast" variants all over the place.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Lots of caves with caches in Alabama.

Here I am in 3 Caves and a Swimming Hole

EdinCave.jpg

The AGA has an event coming uo where we will have dinner then go caving,

GC1KRAR

Contact CaverScott and CaverJules, the hosts of that event, for info on caching in caves all over the US.

I admire your dedication, sir! You brought your smokes with you under the very Earth itself!

EDIT: It should be noted that the multi-cache area in that picture has been archived. Too bad, I never found the second stage.

I saw this event pop up the other night. I didn't check the location at the time, but I'll have to have a look at this one. Right up our alley.

To the OP- get permission from the property/utility owner and check with your reviewer. Also look for similar caches in your area and inquire to their owners.

Edited by Castle Mischief

GCGTPD Phobias - Black Box #5 Stormdrain

Interesting to say the least, I timed it right in the dry season. Wasn't too bad, but some people... Read the logs.

Had a couple in small, shallow caves. Don't know if I would go deep without an experianced caver. The big sand mine with a collapsed roof looked interesting.