what is a muggle?

pgreene4

It's a term that, if you have all your adult teeth, should never cross your lips. If it ever does, expect those around you to place their fingers in the shape of an "L" against their foreheads.

Seriously.

:laughing:

Thank you, thank you, thank You! Finally someone who gets it.

Does anyone have a better name to use for people who do not know what geocaching is?

Thanks

lestgoicon.jpg

Lets Go Caching - A video podcast about geocaching

It's a term that, if you have all your adult teeth, should never cross your lips. If it ever does, expect those around you to place their fingers in the shape of an "L" against their foreheads.

Seriously.

Does anyone have a better name to use for people who do not know what geocaching is?

Thanks

Nope. Muggles works for me.

Seriously.

Thanks

Nope. Muggles works for me.

Those who shall not be named..... :rolleyes:

Seriously.

Thanks

lestgoicon.jpg

Lets Go Caching - A video podcast about geocaching

Yep, I've always thought muggle fits pretty well. People not aware of the "magic" all around them. Not a term I'd use in general conversation, but amongst a group of adult geocachers? It's not sillier than any of the numerous other things we talk about when it comes to this hobby.

Many times, a muggle is a future geocacher!!

A friend of mine (and his friend), both muggles, stumbled across a geocache about a year ago. It didn't say it was a geocache, and they weren't able to figure it out on thier own. Luckily, it was well disguised in a muggle repellant way, but they still came back with curiosity to spare (a curse with muggles who find things), and they got inside. They still didn't know it was a geocache (with trinkets inside and everything :) ) but they decided that if it belonged to someone, they would come back for it...

A couple months later, it was still there, and what happened to it, I can't seem to get the story clearly. The cache is still alive and well (this happened a year ago), but the funny part is that I, being new to geocacheing and absolutely wrapped up in the excitement, mentioned the sport (and the fact that I found that geocache) and my muggle friend is soon to be the newest geocacher, if not already.

I gotta say I find the word muggle kind of dumb sounding too. I go with "non-cachers", "people that don't geocache", or something like that. I have no formal word for them. The minute you say the word muggle to a non-cacher, they bust out laughing. Just sounds way too goofy. Not to mention the Harry Potter link.

Seriously.

:)

Thanks...

There is no better name. Adults who live in fear of words must of had their wisdom teeth removed before they could take effect.

Also most people who "get it" realize that it's mostly written in logs and seldom spoke because it really doesn't come up in daily life. I dont work with muggles becasue work isnt' caching.

Personally I'd rather replace the proper name for the lower anotomical bits of guys and gals with something cooler sounding. Those bits come up a lot more in conversation than muggle ever will. But alas because I am an adult I can say them in a converstion with a straight face, most of the time.

(The Best word other than muggle I've encountered is squint which I blatantly stole from the series Bones. Squint, Muggle. It's sixes)

Edited by Renegade Knight

I just cannot get myself to say or write the term mu**les.So I use the term "mugglers" to avoid this and any future legal problems! :)

Muggler is a muggle who accidently finds the cache and wanders off with it. Then your cache has been muggled. As for Harry Potter, she didn't invent the word. It was around long before she wrote the book.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Personally I'd rather replace the proper name for the lower anotomical bits of guys and gals with something cooler sounding. Those bits come up a lot more in conversation than muggle ever will. But alas because I am an adult I can say them in a converstion with a straight face, most of the time.

sheesh, what's so wrong with saying "toes"? or did you mean "phalanges"? :)

sheesh, what's so wrong with saying "toes"?...:)

You mean it's not, Little Piggies? I am so embarrased. :)

...The minute you say the word muggle to a non-cacher, they bust out laughing....

Why ever would you say muggle to a muggle? By the time they know enough about caching to understand the term, they arn't a muggle anymore.

I don't think geocaching is a secret society. When I am sitting around with friends, and they start asking about it, various terms are bound to come up. Muggle is the only thing that ever made them laugh. I'm not afraid of the word. In fact I still have one of my wisdom teeth. I just think it sounds silly.

Hi, Newbie here i hope this is not a stupid question.

on some of the cache listings i see "beware of muggles"

What does this mean? thanks

They are also generally assumed to be potential cache stealers / vandelizers. Use stealth when appropriate to keep muggles from spotting you taking or replacing a cache.