How many have found a snake instead of the cache

Lucylux2

I was hot on the search for the third and final cache I had planned for the day. I had already scoped out the site without my GPS but didn't find anything in the morning so went back for the afternoon properly equipped with my trusty Garmin in hand. The area was occupied with portable bldg. to be sold on site. I looked inside, outside, and around each portable bldg. Honed in on the one that was closest to the coordinates. Looked closer here, again inside and outside, back and front-but no geocache. There was a plywood panel lying on the ground to protect from rain, I supposed. I picked up one corner and no micro so I walked to the front and picked up another corner! Lo and behold, a nice little copperhead lie there curled up and cozy! I jumped back, he jumped back and I quickly dropped the panel! Forget that cache! It was fun anyway! Lucy in the Skies

Edited by starwanderer2007

Now that it's getting warm we've started carrying a walking stick with us and we do alot of prodding around before we stick our hands into or under anything. We also have a small flashlight we shine in areas we can't see into. I HATE snakes, and the first time I get too close to one, it may be my last geocaching trip, so we are trying to avoid any suprises.

Once they hold the Sweetwater (TX) rattlesnake round-up, its time to start using a long stick to poke around down here. Haven't run across any snakes while caching yet, but I do see them from time to time while out walking, hunting, fishing, etc...

If you plan on putting caches out in an area known for snakes, its probably wise to choose a location where a snake is not likely to take up residence.

Caching in the UK the most we would evver see is the odd adder or two. However i found a cache the other day and when i opened it saw a snake curled up inside, instantly droped the cache it started to slide down the hill, wondering why the snake hadnt even moved i went to take a closer look. someone had got a rubber snake and attached a tb to it with the goal to get to australia. then it dawned on my why the last finder had said to watch out for a suprise with this cache.

Found a nice (non-poisonous) black snake at this cache. Put a picture in the cache Gallery.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...=y&decrypt=

Only problem is, I am not a snake hater, I am a snake lover, and have had several pet snakes over the years. So this was a plus, not a minus. Now, the time I got stung by a swarm of bees at a cache.....different story.

Edited by prairieview_IL

Now that it's getting warm we've started carrying a walking stick with us and we do alot of prodding around before we stick our hands into or under anything. We also have a small flashlight we shine in areas we can't see into. I HATE snakes, and the first time I get too close to one, it may be my last geocaching trip, so we are trying to avoid any suprises.

i really like snakes, rattlesnakes in particular, but i too carry a walking stick to poke under rocks - and caches in the desert are ALWAYS under rocks. i envy you folks that have more than rocks and mountains of rock in which to search.

rsg

I've come across 3 rattlesnakes over the past couple of years caching. One was under a large boulder, on the opposite side as the cache. One was a baby rattler hiding under the ammo can (yeah, that was scary!).

Just 2 days ago, I had my third encounter. While going for the 3rd stage of a multi, I heard a quick "buzz" in front of me. I froze in place until I could spot the source of the sound. The buzz started again, and I spotted the snake about 3' from my foot. I held still until it moved far enough away for me to get out of there. We found a different route into the cache.

Today it was a great day for caching or sunbathing. My fiance and I chose to cache. The 3' coral snake she almost stepped on chose to sunbath, near the cache we were looking for. since the snake didnt move we wondred if perhaps it was a fake placed there by the owner of the cache to get a little excitement out of those looking for the cache, so I poked it with a stick carefully, til i realized it was real and then we got out of it's way til it left then i bravely or crazily, finished our seach for the cache. to tell it now it sounds funny but looking back on it I guess it was preaty crazy. :laughing:

Edited by oznkellie

Today was our first attempt ever to find a Geocache. Here in Central Arizona, we are used rattlesnakes, but we usually see them and almost never hear them. Today as I and my two sons, ages 11 and 4, were climbing up the mountain, we were being extremely cautious about both snakes and cholla cactus. We were on a steep, rocky slope, and as I took a step, I must have startled a very large and invisible snake. I don't think he was even nearby (at least that's what I have to keep telling myself), but the sound was very loud and he kept up rattling for a long time. For safety's sake, we did not continue up the mountain today. My heart was in my throat for quite sometime afterwards.

The other day I was looking for a place to hide a cache, and decided to reach into a holled out log to move a piece of wood.

A garter snake comes out across my arm.

Sure, a harmless little garter snake, but when not expecting it, freaked me out for a moment.

It went on it's way, I continued exploring.

Last summer I was searching for a cache, and thought it to be in a hollow tree stump, no cache, but a couple small garters.

The last two weekends I went to Vasquez Rocks with the kids we spotted a snake. My friend, Martin, and I had spotted a black headed California snake (we think) after all 7 kids and another adult had passed it about 8 feet off the trail. Video. Last weekend, (with only 4 kids this time) we played on the rocks for a while and just one minute onto the trail, my daughter whispers excitedly, "I think I saw a snake!" I asked her where and she said she thinks it was in the brush we all just walked past. As I cautiously look, I see a rattlesnake disappearing into the grass :blink: (sorry, no pics this time). Hmmm, 10 o'clock in the morning and the rattlers are already out and this close to the trail. We called it a day and figured we'd return on another morning before it got too hot. We found some "city caches" instead.