Hiking recommendations in the Laurentians?

drat19

A buddy and I are looking at a trip to Quebec in September that would include a day or two in the Laurentians, where we would like to do a half-day or so "signature hike" (which does or does not have to include picking up a cache or two along the way...so Nat'l Parks are part of our options). Relative GC terrain rating of a max of 3.5 or 4, on marked trails, is what we like to do on trips like this.

I'm already researching this using typical travel planning tools, but of course I'm thinking that who would know quality hiking options better than my fellow Geocachers? I went over to the Geocaching Quebec org web site, but darn it it's all in French (go figure!). (Case in point: On our trip to the Maritimes back in '04, the Maritimes cachers on their org web site offered plenty of great suggestions, and in fact the off-the-beaten-path hike we were recommended to do in PEI was one of the real highlights of our trip!).

So, I'm soliciting similar recommendations for the Laurentians. Thanks.

A buddy and I are looking at a trip to Quebec in September that would include a day or two in the Laurentians, where we would like to do a half-day or so "signature hike" (which does or does not have to include picking up a cache or two along the way...so Nat'l Parks are part of our options). Relative GC terrain rating of a max of 3.5 or 4, on marked trails, is what we like to do on trips like this.

I'm already researching this using typical travel planning tools, but of course I'm thinking that who would know quality hiking options better than my fellow Geocachers? I went over to the Geocaching Quebec org web site, but darn it it's all in French (go figure!). (Case in point: On our trip to the Maritimes back in '04, the Maritimes cachers on their org web site offered plenty of great suggestions, and in fact the off-the-beaten-path hike we were recommended to do in PEI was one of the real highlights of our trip!).

So, I'm soliciting similar recommendations for the Laurentians. Thanks.

Update:

Right now our leading candidate is a hike up the trails of Mont Tremblant. Looks like we can hike up the mountain and then ride the gondola back down...very similar to how we did Sulphur Mountain in Banff back in '03 (which also had a virt cache back then...bonus!).

We're also looking at a day's walking tour of Montreal as part of the trip...looking for good cache-along-the-way recommendations as well as just general tips, of course. I'll find all the "must see" sites, but always up for off-the-beaten-path ideas (and of course I'll search cache listings to help with that!).

Continued thanks, friends.

Je parle francais, mais l'anglais.........................Oh, never mind! I would suggest going back to le francais site and posting in English, with a hint that French is not your best suite. Living and growing up in three languages has taught me that anyone in la belle province is willing to use what English they know to communicate with someone who appears to be honestly trying. Even your high school French is good enough, if you can remember some of it. :unsure:

Edited by Team Magic

Sigh, all I remember is "Je ne comprend pas"! (did I spell that right?) :lol:

I *am* planning to brush up on my basic travel-related French phrases before the trip, though!

You can use Babel Fish to translate for you. It's not perfect, but should get the idea across. :unsure:

Babel Fish

Good luck and good fortune on your trip. The Laurentians are beautiful.

P.S. One most important phrase you will be using: "Où est le prochain arrêt de repos, svp ?"

Edited by Team Magic

Sigh, all I remember is "Je ne comprend pas"! (did I spell that right?) :D

I *am* planning to brush up on my basic travel-related French phrases before the trip, though!

You can use Babel Fish to translate for you. It's not perfect, but should get the idea across. :)

Babel Fish

Good luck and good fortune on your trip. The Laurentians are beautiful.

P.S. One most important phrase you will be using: "Où est le prochain arrêt de repos, svp ?"

Yes, that WILL be important (I was even able to translate it without Babel Fish!).