Any way to get Geocache searches in GeoRSS format?

Kinkaid

I just picked up a Dash GPS and it has the ability to do real time GeoRSS import and I was hoping that Geocaching.com might give us the ability to export searches in a GeoRSS feed so I can update my GPS in real time and finally get down to doing some geocaching!

Anybody know how to do this or is this functionality not yet available on geocaching.com?

This is not an available feature of the website at this time.

Other than posting here, is there anything else I should be doing to ask for this functionality to be included in the website? If they had this functionality, I would most definitely pay to upgrade my membership.

Other than posting here, is there anything else I should be doing to ask for this functionality to be included in the website? If they had this functionality, I would most definitely pay to upgrade my membership.

After looking into this a little more, it looks like the Dash can also import .KML files. Are those supported and/or offered on the geocaching.com website?

After looking into this a little more, it looks like the Dash can also import .KML files. Are those supported and/or offered on the geocaching.com website?

Ok.. found the ability to download .KML files (premium feature, oh well)... hopefully they will consider the GeoRSS feed though since it can be updated real time on the Dash GPS

Edited by Kinkaid

Ok.. found the ability to download .KML files (premium feature, oh well)... hopefully they will consider the GeoRSS feed though since it can be updated real time on the Dash GPS

You wouldn't want to use the KML files to load your GPS for geocaching as the site intentionally adds in a small random error to the waypoints in the KML files. Premium members can get GPX files via pocket queries with accurate coordinates.

You wouldn't want to use the KML files to load your GPS for geocaching as the site intentionally adds in a small random error to the waypoints in the KML files. Premium members can get GPX files via pocket queries with accurate coordinates.

Ok.. since Im a bit of a noob at this, will the GPX files be importable and do they follow the same structure as a .KML file? If they will import, can I just rename the file to .KML and it should be more accurate?

GPX files are a different file format from KML, so renaming it will not work.

However, you can use gpsbabel to convert them. I would highly suggest looking into going this route because the odds of Groundspeak implementing the GeoRSS format are approximately 1000:1

Edited by alexrudd

I believe it would be fairly straightforward to make a georss feed for geocaches out of GPX files. If i had one, i'd have a crack at making a GPX->GeoRSS converter.

The dash looks like a really cool unit.

You can also convert GPX to KML - one easy way to do it is with GoogleEarthTweaker - easier than gpsbabel.

http://www.itsth.com/en/download/ It's made for making KML files out of GPX for google earth, but i bet they will work for your dash.

the odds of Groundspeak implementing the GeoRSS format are approximately 1000:1

Well, I hope they will consider it since I would imagine that with dash introducing it, odds are other vendors will follow suit with their units at some point in time.

Edited by Kinkaid

I believe it would be fairly straightforward to make a georss feed for geocaches out of GPX files. If i had one, i'd have a crack at making a GPX->GeoRSS converter.

Depending on how different the syntax is, it might not be that hard to do a search and replace. Might have to look into that.

You can also convert GPX to KML - one easy way to do it is with GoogleEarthTweaker

Im going to give it a try and see how it works. May be all that I need for now!

Depending on how different the syntax is, it might not be that hard to do a search and replace. Might have to look into that.

You can also convert GPX to KML - one easy way to do it is with GoogleEarthTweaker

Im going to give it a try and see how it works. May be all that I need for now!

I am also another user who owns a DASH. the dash gps does load KML files off the net but the Geocaching Network link kml file dosnt work. I think they need to have a GeoRSS feed setup for each state.

This is something that the Dash users really right now need since there is no way of inputing coordinates manualy into the device. Inputing coordinates is a feature they plan on adding but it is currently not possable.

also another option I would like is to get a GeoRSS to my pocketquery's

Edited by MikesTooLz