Where's My Ram Mount

BiT

Well is has been over 7 weeks and still no mounts for the Colorado. I emailed the "Third-Party" vendor that Ram farmed the order out to and they had no idea when it would ship. The original date was March 26. I then emailed Ram Mounts and they don't seem very keen on customer support of emails. Hurry up and wait I guess. I may have to go with the Garmin mount but that isn't quite what I wanted.

It can be done. Sort of. I took a piece of brass strip, the plastic part of the carabiner mount and a threaded RAM ball and made a temporary mount. The brass strip goes between the GPS and the carabiner mount at the top, bends and goes over the cross-piece on the carabiner mount, then tucks back into the next slot. A couple of pieces of heat-shrink tubing make it snug and the RAM ball bolts onto the strip where it sticks out above the GPS. No alteration of the carabiner mount whatsoever.

jws2go your experience is far different from mine with the garmin Auto (dismount) mount. It is, in my opinion, a piece of junk. One, it has only one ball end to realy flex like the Ram mount I have it could use two and the suction cup is just Poor...works if you put glue on it :unsure: . I had my Colorado fall off the window three times. Twice it fell from the window to the dash once to the floor (this was in one afternoon)....thanks Garmin. I ended up taking my Ram mount from my 76S and using the ball socket/clip from the Garmin Auto mount (removing the 4 screws) and making a 1/4" thick Plexiglas piece and then another diamond shaped piece to match the Ram mount diamond shaped end that bolted to the Ram cradle and now I have a great mount that sticks in heat or cold and does NOT fall off! This is much more useful than the Garmin mount as it is far easier to position and is better than the Ram mount Cradle for the Colorado series. It takes far less room and is real easy to hook and unhook the GPS. I used it this way for over a month now and would like to send the parts back to Garmin that I have left (the suction cup that does not hold) the base that does not swivel and is to short to go from the windshield and end up in a good viewing position and trade for another clip (less the rest of the auto mount suction cup parts). If anyone is interested I can post a few pictures later.

Edited by WoodenShoe

I'm sorry I did not respond sooner, I had no camera with and was doing some twins baby sitting, (Both son in laws lost a grandparent this week) I cant post pictures (no browse to link) but the pictures are under my Profile link at Geocaching.com under Gallery. I'm not sure what I need to do to post pictures here...there is no browse to for that listed for me yet. (a min post rule?)

Don't feel bad jws2go, it worked for about two hours for me too the first day. The second time out it fell three times. Its a good thing Garmin builds the Colorado better than the Auto mount. I used the RAM-B-166U mount (I used it for my 76S) and removed the 76S cradle. Then I made up the two parts to adapt the nice clip from the Garmin mount to the Ram Base and ended up with a great solution. Click on WoodenShoe and go to my profile and the pictures are in the my Gallery. The Ram mount I ordered from expressmounts.com about 4 months ago along with a bicycle u clamp adapter (have not tried that yet) Good luck...maybe we should try for a class action suit :) I even managed to impress my cousin homebru with it. He has not ordered any parts yet though. http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/7663cd...e611d6ae992.jpg

Edited by WoodenShoe

WoodenShoe, looks like I'll have to eat some words--my Colorodo lost its grip today and fell from the windshield. Luckily there was no apparant damage. My confidence in the Garmin mount hit the floorboard with my GPSr.

Mine has fallen off, maybe once. I have had the same experience with my big MOFO RAM suction cup mount so it's not a big deal to me, just moisten and re-apply.

I haven't taken my Garmin mount on any serious off-road work but I am pretty happy with it. However, I rented a vehicle last weekend where the windshield was a bit different from my near vertical Jeep Wrangler windshield. The ball and socket method didn't allow for the movement to place it exactly how I wanted to place it, but it was still OK.

nicolo I had my RAM-B-166-U come loose also but while adjusting it, on a trip that went from 28F to 50F out and in a thunderstorm driving thru Atlanta Ga. The window on the inside got real damp and when I grabbed the mount to adjust it, it did come loose. I could not remount it at 70mph in traffic so I waited till the next stop and dried off the windshield and remounted it. Other than that. it has not come loose. One of the other similar Ram mounts for the Colorado has a smaller suction cup and a small knurled knob to adjust it with I think that was a RAP-B-166-2U. On that one the smaller suction disk and small adjusting knob would not interest me, although it may suit others fine. The Garmin did not hold on a ten minute test on a Formica counter top (a harder place to get a good suction). The Ram stayed till I released it an hour later. I just feel the garmin Auto mounts suction cup is a poor design, or at least the one I got was not ready for prime time.

nicolo I had my RAM-B-166-U come loose also but while adjusting it, on a trip that went from 28F to 55F out and in a thunderstorm, while headed for Florida. The window on the inside got real damp and when I grabbed the mount to adjust it, it did come loose. I did not try to remount it at 70mph in traffic, so I waited till the next stop and dried off the windshield and remounted it. Other than that. it has not come loose. One of the other similar Ram mounts for the Colorado has a smaller suction cup and a small knurled knob to adjust it with, I think that was a RAP-B-166-2U. On that one the smaller suction disk and small adjusting knob would not interest me, although it may suit others fine. The Garmin did not hold on a ten minute test on a Formica counter top (a harder place to get a good suction). The Ram stayed till I released it an hour later. I just feel the Garmin Auto mounts suction cup is a poor design, or at least the one I got was not ready for prime time. I never needed to wet the suction cup, I just wipe off any debris with a paper towel or cloth and lock it down.

RAM has switched to a smaller suction cup with a locking knob. It seems to have the same holding strength as the the older / larger plain suction cup, but its much more steady. The old one would bounce around if you had something heavy on a long arm.

They all fall off every so often -- the rubber gets some oxidation from the sun and it loses its grip. You need to clean the window and the suction cup and it will stick well again.

i know gpscity.com has a arrival/ship date of April 4th for the colorado ram cradle....

bah! now its changed to an estimated arrival/ship date of April 11th...

wow... now its estimated to arrive/ship on April 20th...

yeah, this doesn't give me *any* hope, at all of it arriving anytime soon...

I used the bicycle mount on my KTM handlebars......it actually worked well for 3 days and 500 miles in Baja. Rider

Rider, did you use the plastic ties and did everything stay in place during the trip? The mount looks a little flimsey in the ad.

i know gpscity.com has a arrival/ship date of April 4th for the colorado ram cradle....

bah! now its changed to an estimated arrival/ship date of April 11th...

wow... now its estimated to arrive/ship on April 20th...

yeah, this doesn't give me *any* hope, at all of it arriving anytime soon...

hah, changed again! estimated arrival/ship date of Apr 30th...

At least some people are getting anticipated ship dates, that are changing. All I get is "any day now". I understand new products take time, but RAM posted a date on their website, and they still have a release date listed as March 24th, 2008. The could at least change that.

Edited by flattie

I was out caching and cruising on my motorcycle weekend before last, my PN-20 ram-mounted to the handlebars navigating and the 400t in the saddlebag to locate the cache at stops, when it occured to me the two are similar in size. At the next cache I exchanged places with the two, and, sure enough, the ram mount for the PN-20 gets a good snug bite on the Colorado. I rode about 150 miles of secondary roads, some of which were pretty rough, and the Colorado didn't budge from it's perch. It required no modification whatsoever, and although it's not a perfect fit, it will do fine until the cradle for the Colorado arrives. I don't recall what the cradle and ball for the PN-20 cost, but I think it was only around $10.00, if you already have the ram mount.

Just got notified from gpszone that my 400t ram mount was shipped today.

Looks like Cyclegadgets got some in and sold out -- they're saying the next batch is due in at the end of April. Hopefully my order was on the first batch -- not holding my breath as I haven't received a shipment confirmation yet.

The title of this post has new meaning for me now. My RAM mount was scheduled to be delivered yesterday. When it hadn't arrived last night, I checked UPS tracking again to see this message...

EMERGENCY CONDITIONS BEYOND UPS' CONTROL

WTF? This morning it says...

THE RECEIVER REQUESTED A HOLD FOR A FUTURE DELIVERY DATE. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON DATE REQUESTED / DELIVERY RESCHEDULED

There is no anticipated delivery date listed.

Sigh...

The title of this post has new meaning for me now. My RAM mount was scheduled to be delivered yesterday. When it hadn't arrived last night, I checked UPS tracking again to see this message...

THE RECEIVER REQUESTED A HOLD FOR A FUTURE DELIVERY DATE. UPS WILL ATTEMPT DELIVERY ON DATE REQUESTED / DELIVERY RESCHEDULED

Sigh...

Bad weather? OK and AR and east Texas got some tornado activity, and they are getting snow elsewhere.

Sigh...

Bad weather? OK and AR and east Texas got some tornado activity, and they are getting snow elsewhere.

Nope. It just came. Substitute driver + detour nearby (my road was open). Glad it wasn't something really important!

BTW, I got this to try as a handlebar rail mount for a mountain bike, without the big extended arm (whatever they call that thing). Looks like it will work, even though the diamond connector is shaped a little different. Will post photos once I get it on, hopefully tomorrow.

I just got my Colorado RAM mount in the mail yesterday. WOW! I am super impressed, its 11ty thousand times better than my old 60CSx RAM mount... the Colorado slips in and out with ease (unlike the 60CSx RAM mount) yet it holds very secure. I'd highly recommend it to anyone considering a mount.