Jump off a bridge to get a Cache?

4C&C

So there I was in my home town looking up caches while I was in town from out of state. I found one that was on the main bridge in town that will be torn down in the next few months to be replaced due to age and structural degradation. I keyed in on it knowing that I needed to get it before I left that afternoon; I made it the last cache on our way out of town. Upon searching for the cache located in the holes of the girders where it could not be seen and you had to lean over the walk way rail by 4 ', I bumped it into a rivet of the bridge and it popped off and fell to a girder 15' below. No longer accessible I was horrified that I ruined this soon to be legendary cache. I kicked my wife into the driver’s seat and booted up my laptop while she drove and e-mailed the Cache owner informing him of the situation requesting he replace the cache, to take it out of service until he did and that I would pay for the new one if he would like. I also posted needs maintenance on the log informing everyone of the situation until he could get to it.

Later that afternoon while back in service I checked my e-mail. He had e-mailed back telling me that I was an irresponsible Geocacher for not replacing his Cache. I sent him a follow up again apologizing for the issue and offering to PayPal him for the replacement cache and defining that I did not just leave it not informing anyone, I did what I though I was supposed to for the situation and asked him to take it out of service again so no one would try to access it.

My question is that this Cache placer is quite upset, I understand that. Should he really have expected me to replace it? This is part of being a cache owner I though. If someone Muggled it who's responsibility is it?

He still has not taken the Cache out of service. The only hope for people to know it is inaccessible it if they read my log entry. I would think that would be the first thing you should do as a cache owner.

Just hoping for a sanity check as I am quite new to Geocaching and was not sure of the rules when I saw his reply.

Edited by four chicks & a chump

I think that you have done everything reasonably possible to rectify the situation. The cache sounds like it was poorly executed - if it's that easy to knock off it shouldn't be there. Also, it sounds like you had to put yourself into a dangerous situation just to reach it. Not cool. A magentic micro on a tank on terra firma is one thing, but the side of a bridge?Don't let a grump take the fun out of the game.

Tell the cache owner that his choice of cache container is as poor as his choice in language.

If the cache was that easy to knock loose it was bound to happen sooner or later. If it was bound to happen sooner or later it was a poor choice for the location.

Part of being a cache owner is replacing stolen caches, or caches accidentally damaged or lost by geocachers.

It's his job, not yours to take care of the cache. You apologized and generously offered to pay for the replacement. That is the end of your responsibility.

The cache owner is out of line, not you.

Consider the source.

A self professed "I'm a rapidy aging grumpy old fart with two kids, a domineering wife, and a dog who hates me!" and you expect him to respond kindly?

Hey! What have you got against Grumpy Old Farts?

It's the "main bridge" into town. Would you call this a "highway bridge?" If so, the cache should never have been placed, per the listing guidelines. People crawling around bridges lead to lots of law enforcement/bomb squad situations.

It's US-61, and from the looks of the bridge images on google earth it carries quite a lot of traffic.

I've had a cache dropped down into an inaccessable spot by a cacher. They notified me and I replaced it. I was pleased by the rapid notification and thanked the cacher for letting me know there was a problem. It's nothing to get mad about.

It's nothing to get mad about.

I haven't hidden any caches yet, but I think I'd have to agree with you here. I could see maybe getting a bit irritated if it was in a really difficult location, but the description and the logs both say it's easy to get to and I certainly hope people don't place caches that are valuable enough to matter if they disappear.

If there is a restriction against placing caches on "highway bridges" then how did this one make it past review? Google earth shows it as being right on the bridge, and the bridge is clearly marked as being a federal highway. The sat image doesn't show the bridge surface because of the superstructure, but there are tons of vehicles on the approaches.

Thank you one and all for reaferming my impression of most geocachers and geo placers being good people and would prefer my course of action. I did not think I was out of line and was shocked to see his method of response. I have also taken time (after all the support here) to report this incident "not closing the cache only" to the geo athorities for review. I have not yet heard back but will ensure to let you know how it transpires. Thanks again!

BTW Yes is is a Highway as stated, yes it is a VERY busy bridge although it does have a sidwalk for access across being the second most dangerous bridge in the state I knew that I was taking a risk by going to this one. That was my choice however.

Someone also pointed out that the owner of the cache may not have put the cache in this exact location which is very true and I was not pointing out the location of the cache, I was pointing out the response from the owner.

Thank you one and all for reaferming my impression of most geocachers and geo placers being good people and would prefer my course of action. I did not think I was out of line and was shocked to see his method of response. I have also taken time (after all the support here) to report this incident "not closing the cache only" to the geo athorities for review. I have not yet heard back but will ensure to let you know how it transpires. Thanks again!

BTW Yes is is a Highway as stated, yes it is a VERY busy bridge although it does have a sidwalk for access across being the second most dangerous bridge in the state I knew that I was taking a risk by going to this one. That was my choice however.

Someone also pointed out that the owner of the cache may not have put the cache in this exact location which is very true and I was not pointing out the location of the cache, I was pointing out the response from the owner.

The owner's self professed occupation says it all imho: ""Happy Go Lucky" Loser"

He had e-mailed back telling me that I was an irresponsible Geocacher for not replacing his Cache.

What? You did nothing wrong. As others have said, if the hider puts it in a precarious place, he should expect it to be lost at some point....accidents happen.

Something similar happened at one of my caches. It was a magnetic at a picnic shelter (not as dramatic as the edge of a bridge, mind you), and if you tried to feel around for it clumsily, you might push it into an irretrievable area. Well, it happened. The cacher apologized and offered to buy me a new cache. Was he irresponsible? No......my hide was just in a precarious location...my bad.

I have contacted the Geo-Authorities and got a response that they are looking into it. However they closed the ticket. The Cache is **STILL** not disabled and **STILL** does not have any notes about being visited or repaired. I sure am glad I posted a note to not go there. It has now been over a week.

Call me strict, but I don't publish caches on or under bridges that carry numbered US highways unless the cache owner demonstrates permission or special circumstances. An example of "special circumstances" would be a rails to trails path running along the riverbank beneath the bridge. One would expect to see pedestrians wandering around at such a spot.

As a cache owner, I've had this happen once. My cache was hidden on a former railroad bridge that now serves to carry a walking/biking path between an island and the riverbank. There's a spectacular view of downtown from that bridge. A finder dropped the magnetic keyholder into the river. They fessed up in their log, which was a "needs archived" log. Rather than going ballistic over having a "needs archived" placed on my cache page, I simply thanked the geocacher for reporting the problem, and then fixed the cache. I'd rather fix my caches myself so I know they are in the spot and using the container which I intended.

I'm sorry you had problems with the cache owner. I have both hidden and accidentally 'broken' a cache (lid came off rusty Altoids tin). I feel it is my responsibility as a cache owner to maintain/repair/replace ASAP because as a geocacher, I know how frustrated I get to look for a cache and not be able to find it--only to later find out it is AWOL. That is why I have only placed 15 caches and will probably not place too many more. The upkeep on these caches is quite enough. I have not investigated the cache, but from previous posts, it seems the cache was poorly placed and not too safe. I think the cache owner may have over-reacted or just not been in a good mood that day. I think YOU went above and beyond by offering to pay for the replacement cache! Kudos to you!!!

Please don't let this unfortunate incident turn you off to geocaching and fellow cachers. 99% of everyone I have met in geocaching (even when I made a 'dumb' mistake) have been very courteous and helpful.

Take care,

Outspoken1

LOL!

So...I tried to do what I ASSUME to be the same cache as 4 Chicks and a Chump this weekend...although I didn't know that it was gone because I did a query of caches in the area and downloaded them right to my GPS. If it isn't crossed off I assume that the person who hides the cache does his/her job and MAINTAINS the status of the hide...well, I guess in this case I was wrong. Even a WEEK after Chick/chump posted that he dropped it, it was NOT updated on the website. SO...I made a comment on the cache page that properly maintaining the status of the cache is the only considerate thing to do so you don't waste your time looking for a hide, on a REALLY busy road, and in a REALLY dangerous place, only not to find it. This comment was deleted and I got an email from this guy...

"I am not interested in listening to you whine, and would prefer you not look for my hides. Please take your crappy attitude someplace else and not on the cache page.

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=d9...890422615"

This guy is a REAL jerk and I would HIGHLY recomend that you NEVER waste any time looking for ANY of his hides since you have NO CLUE if you will be able to find them or not...and if you don't find them and make any sort of comment to the hider, you are BOUND be greeted with RUDE emails.

Just thought I would add my "experience" from this (deleted by moderator).

Edited by mtn-man

Latest note from the cache in question - it has been disabled now.

[cachehider] - To eliminate any further Crocodile tears, I am temp disabling the cache. The snow will inhibit its repair, but will be done soon.

Well, there you go. Crocodiles are cachers, too.

LOL!

So...I tried to do what I ASSUME to be the same cache as 4 Chicks and a Chump this weekend...although I didn't know that it was gone because I did a query of caches in the area and downloaded them right to my GPS. If it isn't crossed off I assume that the person who hides the cache does his/her job and MAINTAINS the status of the hide...well, I guess in this case I was wrong. Even a WEEK after Chick/chump posted that he dropped it, it was NOT updated on the website. SO...I made a comment on the cache page that properly maintaining the status of the cache is the only considerate thing to do so you don't waste your time looking for a hide, on a REALLY busy road, and in a REALLY dangerous place, only not to find it. This comment was deleted and I got an email from this guy...

"I am not interested in listening to you whine, and would prefer you not look for my hides. Please take your crappy attitude someplace else and not on the cache page.

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=d9...890422615"

This guy is a REAL jerk and I would HIGHLY recomend that you NEVER waste any time looking for ANY of his hides since you have NO CLUE if you will be able to find them or not...and if you don't find them and make any sort of comment to the hider, you are BOUND be greeted with RUDE emails.

Just thought I would add my "experience" from this (deleted by moderator).

Maybe put an SBA on the cache and pm the reviewer.

Edited by mtn-man