What in-vehicle GPS would you recommend?

D0T-C0M

I looking for a vehicle based GPS system that I plan on putting in my 4x4 truck for off road use and in my minivan for touring. The GPS must have detailed Canadian maps or at the very least available for the unit. A system that can be easily transferable from both vehicles would be nice. I'm not really up to speed yet on what specific options I would need or like to have. I'll be reading alot in the next few days. I was just looking for some suggestions to help me in my research.

I looking for a vehicle based GPS system that I plan on putting in my 4x4 truck for off road use and in my minivan for touring. The GPS must have detailed Canadian maps or at the very least available for the unit. A system that can be easily transferable from both vehicles would be nice. I'm not really up to speed yet on what specific options I would need or like to have. I'll be reading alot in the next few days. I was just looking for some suggestions to help me in my research.

I have been using a Nuvi 350 for about six months now,and I am very pleased with it.The unit has come down considerably in price,and in my opinion is a worth every penny.

Not sure about Canadian maps,but you can check it out at www.garmin.com

I recently picked up a Mio Digiwalker C230 - due to onboard memory only has the lower 48, but I added the Canada maps on an SD card.

I like the unit quite a bit - it has text to speech, and is infinitely hackable - skins, etc. - as it is a Windows CE based unit.

Cost $150.

Take a look at the TomTom, it says it has Canada and US on mine. I like it because map updates are free, and it allows you to record and send in any map errors that you may incounter. I got the TomTom One LE version, only Sold by Best Buy here in the US, it is supposed to be a cross breed between the 2nd or 3rd edition and the XL I believe. It doesn't have text to speech so it says "turn left in 500 yrds" instead of speaking the names of the streets but I don't find that to be a big issue. Just be sure to get the model that has Map Share, the map updates alone sell this unit.

I just bought the Mio c230 the other day, and am loving it. It seems a little difficult to navigate around the menus, but once you "learn" where things are, it goes quick. I got it on sale for $130. The main features you may want:

text to speech: this allows the unit to speak street names, which I think may be essential for safe driving.

Quick recalculation: Often you may miss a turn, or a road is closed. This unit is very quick in recalculating the route.

allow you to enter coordinates: this will let you do it. It's great when a cache is posted with parking coordinates, you can just enter this into the mio, rather than search for a street intersection or searching on the map.

This, along with most in car GPS systems are easily transferable from vehicle to vehicle. It comes with a mound that has a suction cup on it. You can suction cup it directly to the winshield, or to a little plastic disc that adheres to the dashboard.

I really wanted a GPS with a wide screen, but at the price, this unit just couldn't be beat.

edit: I changed the price I bought it at. It is $130, not $230.

Edited by admo1972

If you need waterproof and can find one, the Garmin 2610 is great. They are our of production but may still be available new or used.Can be used on motocycles as well. One consideration is it need to be plugged into 12V's all the time. I've used one for 4+ years and love it. I use it to route me to cache sites and then use the 60CSx to make the final find. Hope this helps.

If you need waterproof and can find one, the Garmin 2610 is great. They are our of production but may still be available new or used.Can be used on motocycles as well. One consideration is it need to be plugged into 12V's all the time. I've used one for 4+ years and love it. I use it to route me to cache sites and then use the 60CSx to make the final find. Hope this helps.

A water proof unit would definitely be nice because I could use it on my ATV. I was looking at the Garmin zumo 500 and zumo 550 but jeez they are expensive. Are there and altenatives to these units that would be comparable?

Are there models that can accept and display tracklogs? I would like to be able to upload my offroad tracklogs and be able to see them on this vehicle GPS.

After looking at some unit today I've decided that I want one with SD card capabilities, USB port, touch screen, battery powered so that it doesn't require a constant 12v and optionally bluetooth so that I can use it with my phone.

Edited by D0T-C0M

How sensistive is the TOMTOM Rider as comapred to other models with the SIRF III chip?

EDIT: Ok forget it because it has the SIRF III chip

If you want topo maps and you want free maps, stay with Garmin. Don't do anything else unless you are going to be on roads all of the time.

How sensistive is the TOMTOM Rider as comapred to other models with the SIRF III chip?

EDIT: Ok forget it because it has the SIRF III chip

If you want topo maps and you want free maps, stay with Garmin. Don't do anything else unless you are going to be on roads all of the time.

What do you mean? Please elaborate. Are you saying the tomtom maps are no good? I don't need topo maps but would like the offroad trails included. I need a solution that is good for street to street routing as well would be good for in my 4x4 when hunting offroad. I wish garmin and tomtom etc. has an online viewer so I could see the details of the maps so I can decide which is best for me.

Does Garmin allow 3rd party topo maps? If so how do you change from one set of maps to the other?

Edited by D0T-C0M

<y understanding is that TT only provides map updates for free for one year. After that, you need to pay.

I also prefer Mapsource to the 3rd party software required by TT for trip planning on the PC. I am not sure if Garmin still provides a DVD upon request with the purshase of one of their road GPS units.

Nuvi 250W. $200 at GPS Central. Includes maps.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmin/nuvi250w.html

If you need Topo Maps, http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

how do these topo maps work in the nuvi?

If you go hunting, you want topo maps. They show vegetation, terrain, waterways, cutlines, etc.. Road maps show NOTHING. Yes, those maps work on a Nuvi. They show everything that is in the federal topo maps plus up to date roads and they are FREE!!!!

Products like a Tomtom will show you nothing other than roads.

Example from your neck of the woods....

City Navigator 2008 (what would be on a stock Nuvi) In a city area, this will be much better....

CN.jpg

Ibycus Topo Map of the same area.

topt.jpg

Which map will be more use when hunting?

Edited by Red90

<y understanding is that TT only provides map updates for free for one year. After that, you need to pay.

I also prefer Mapsource to the 3rd party software required by TT for trip planning on the PC. I am not sure if Garmin still provides a DVD upon request with the purshase of one of their road GPS units.

You may be right about the 1 year map updates on TT, though it didn't mention any sort of expiration when I updated my maps. But most GPS maps will cost you to update them. I too have Mapsource with topo for the 60 csx, and those maps have not been updated in years (mine) . I won't buy Topo 08, just not enough extras to make it worth it.

As for route planning and such, I am not impressed with mapsource either. In fact I own Delorme's Topo USA and Street Atlas (last years) and have used it for route planning with my laptop and it has issues too. So when I had to go to Florida recently I just imput the address into the TT One and it took me there, no issues. I am sure other units can do the same, but for $120 US I just could not pass it up.

how do these topo maps work in the nuvi?

If you go hunting, you want topo maps. They show vegetation, terrain, waterways, cutlines, etc.. Road maps show NOTHING. Yes, those maps work on a Nuvi. They show everything that is in the federal topo maps plus up to date roads and they are FREE!!!!

Products like a Tomtom will show you nothing other than roads.

Example from your neck of the woods....

City Navigator 2008 (what would be on a stock Nuvi) In a city area, this will be much better....

CN.jpg

Ibycus Topo Map of the same area.

topt.jpg

Which map will be more use when hunting?

Are those topo maps just a static map displayed overtop the existing maps in the GPS or can Does the GPS actually use them instead of the original maps to do routing etc...

Can these topo maps be used in a nuvi 660?

Edited by D0T-C0M

Are those topo maps just a static map displayed overtop the existing maps in the GPS or can Does the GPS actually use them instead of the original maps to do routing etc...

They do not do routing at the moment, but he has been talking about making them routeable. You can buy Garmin's "Topo Canada" ($120), which is routable, but it is not as complete as Ibycus' maps. They will work on any Garmin map capable GPS.

They do not do routing at the moment, but he has been talking about making them routeable. You can buy Garmin's "Topo Canada" ($120), which is routable, but it is not as complete as Ibycus' maps. They will work on any Garmin map capable GPS.

Thanks for your info. I just bought a nuvi 660

Edited by D0T-C0M

How do you use these topo maps. When I downloaded the 1.5 GB exe file all it did was installed a whole bunch of img files, no program to click on. Do I import these in mapsource? little confused how I am going to transfer these maps to my nuvi660.

EDIT:Ok I found out where to choose the ibycus topo maps and my area is well represented. I'm very happy, hopefully the transfer to my new nuvi 660 will go smooth when I receieve it.

Edited by D0T-C0M

Any Nuvi, We use the

Nuvi 650 it works great!

Ok the ibycus maps don't have the roads done for my area of Canada but the Garmin Topo Canada maps do and they ARE routed with my nuvi. I've since found out that I can also make routes with it converting my routes to waypoints so this will be great for the 4x4 offroad poker rallies that me and the wife like to do.