Most important reason to remove ammo can markings!

root1657

...OK, like I said before, the odds of it happening are amazingly small, but it's not impossible....

True. If I went and filled the ammo can with military ammo then engineered an incident desiged to call into question the ammo itself, then maybe then. However if I could do all that I could also put the needed markings onto the can even if they had been obliterated.

It's already good practice to paint over or remove these markings in geocaching for other reasons. This reason by itself looks like a non issue that benefits from good practice.

Another reason to remove the markings AND mark it as a Geocache is the Bomb Squad. I work on a Squad and three of us geocache. This means that the rest of the squad members know about caching. This is not to say that if called out to a suspicious package with the "geocache" markings we would use less caution but it would be a factor in the action plan to handle it. I wonder how many caches are destroyed by bomb squads.

Less than other random every day objects and more than we would like.

So this scenario is a cache finder finds this ammo can with lot numbers and is hit by a stray round so the military investigates to see if the round that hit the cache finder is from the same lot from the can that happens to be filled with McToys so in the meantime the military is going to pull all the remaining ammo from that lot.

All I can say is - WOW! What an active imagination.

What if the cache finder was wearing surplus jungle boots, an old BDU top and carrying a tote bag hooked on an old web belt?

This entire scenario is from someone with a very active imagination. Maybe the planets will all be in alignment and Haley's Comet returns 5 yrs sooner.

Having spent nearly 27 yrs in the military and 35 yrs in law enforcement doing a few hundred shooting investigations all I can say about this scenario is - WOW! what an imagination.

So this scenario is a cache finder finds this ammo can with lot numbers and is hit by a stray round so the military investigates to see if the round that hit the cache finder is from the same lot from the can that happens to be filled with McToys so in the meantime the military is going to pull all the remaining ammo from that lot.

What if the cache finder was wearing surplus jungle boots, an old BDU top and carrying a tote bag hooked on an old web belt?

This entire scenario is from someone with a very active imagination. Maybe the planets will all be in alignment and Haley's Comet returns 5 yrs sooner.

Having spent nearly 27 yrs in the military and 35 yrs in law enforcement doing a few hundred shooting investigations all I can say about this scenario is - WOW! what an imagination.

:):);):D:huh: Well said!

OK, here ya go guys, I Imagined this all the way up from an unclassified military instruction you can get for free online with a simple google search. All the way from AR75-1 MalfunctionsInvolvingAmmunitionand Explosives(RCSCSGLD–1961(MI))

2-4 Suspensions a. General. These procedures apply to suspension of all munitions by type, model, or individual lot, and theireventual disposition. The CG, OSC or the CG, AMCOM, as applicable, will—(1) Upon receiving a report of a malfunction that presents an immediate threat of inflicting death or major injury touser personnel or friendly forces (class A malfunction), immediately take action, including during nonduty hours, tosuspend the affected stocks. The following will be notified of the suspension or restriction action by the quickestmeans:(a) Consignees, field installations, depots, proving grounds, loading plants, and other Army areas or commandsaffected.(:ph34r: Other appropriate agencies.© The Department of the Navy.(d) The Department of the Air Force.(2) Provide instructions for lifting suspensions or restrictions.(3) Provide needed replacements when requisitions are received.(4) Provide disposition instructions for suspended stocks.(5) Notify security assistance (SA) recipients through the U.S. Army Security Affairs Command channels ofsuspension, restriction, and release action when it is known that they received affected lots. When message supple-ments to TB 9–1300–385 are sent to JUSMAAGs, defense attaché offices, embassies, or other non-U.S. addresseeswithin the affected country, this notification is not required.(6) Send a summary of the investigation results to SA recipients that reports a malfunction. Include correctiveaction. This information will be sent through U.S. Army Security Affairs Command channels.b. Type, block, or serious impact suspensions and restrictions.(1) The CG, AMC (AMCAM–LG) will—(a) Approve type, block, or serious impact suspensions and restrictions of conventional and chemical ammunition,guided missiles, and large rockets according to paragraph 1–4b(4). Coordination will be effected with MACOMs asappropriate.(:( Lift suspensions and restrictions previously approved by CG, AMC (AMCAM–LG).(2) HQDA (DALO–AMA) will provide final decisions on suspension and lifting of suspensions or restrictions fortype, block, or serious impact suspensions or restrictions for conventional and chemical ammunition, guided missiles,and large rockets affecting the readiness of the Army referred by CG, AMC (AMCAM–LG) to HQDA (DALO–SMA)for decision per paragraph 1–4.(3) OSC or AMCOM, as applicable, will forward all type, block, or serious impact suspensions and restrictions ofconventional and chemical ammunition, guided missiles, and large rockets to CG, AMC (AMCAM–LG) for reviewaccording to paragraph 1–4b.8AR 75–1 • 23 April 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 13

(4) These decisions will be published by the applicable commodity command as suspensions or releases.c. Local suspensions of ammunition. Activities will locally suspend a lot of ammunition from use if—(1) Ammunition is the possible cause of an accident causing death or lost-time injury.(2) Any lot of ammunition or a component of it has malfunctioned so that its further use will probably cause injuryor equipment damage. (See AR 385–62, AR 385–63, and paragraph 2–3athrough d of this regulation.)(3) There is an instance of the same lot being involved in two class C malfunctions within 48 hours.d. Disposition instructions. Installations storing ammunition that has been suspended will—(1) Hold suspended munitions until disposition instructions are received from OSC or AMCOM (as appropriate). Toobtain disposition instructions for permanently suspended munitions managed by OSC, units will report involvedquantities and related information per DA Pam 738–750 after fix is included in TB 9–1300–385 or its supplement.(2) Assure all suspensions remain in effect until OSC or AMCOM releases or directs release for issue and usewhen—(a) Munitions have been locally suspended.(;) Temporary suspension has been issued by OSC or AMCOM.e. Lot inventory data. Units receiving a temporary suspension notice from OSC or AMCOM will—(1) Report on–hand quantities per TB 9–1300–385. Units should assess the effect of suspensions or restrictions.Suspension or restriction actions resulting in a serious mission impact should be promptly reported to the properMACOM.(2) Commands receiving “serious mission impact statements” concerning conventional or missile ammunition fromsubordinate using units will assess and report the overall impact on mission readiness to the Commander, U.S. ArmyOperations Command (SOSMA–SNS), Rock Island, IL 61299–6000 or Commander, U.S. Army Aviation and MissileCommand (AMSAM–MMC–LS–MM), Redstone Arsenal, AL 35898–5290, as appropriate, with an information copyt o C o m m a n d e r , U . S . A r m y M a t e r i e l C o m m a n d ( A M C A M –L G ) , 5 0 0 1 E i s e n h o w e r A v e n u e , A l e x a n d r i a , V A22333–0001. Negative impact responses are not required