Topo maps or no?

gvndual

A local big-box store recently had the yellow e-trex H for around 80 bucks. But I realized it didn't have maps of any kind. I have a Garmin 330 in my car. How important are maps on the hand-held? I've read go for the expensive units since you'll probably just upgrade to it later anyway, but I don't want to do that. I am sold on the "H" models, but I can't decide on the maps features. Whatcha think?

You can geocache with a unit that has no maps or with a minimal base map and do very well. The maps just make things a bit easier sometimes.

If you are geocaching in an urban environment, the city maps (with routing) are probably a better choice, especially if you don't know the neighborhood you are in. It is especially helpful if the cache owner has specified a parking area for the cache and you need to find a way to it. For caching out in the sticks, the topo maps are probably better as they will tell you if a big hill, creek or river is gonna be in the way of your chosen path to the cache.

You can geocache with a unit that has no maps or with a minimal base map and do very well. The maps just make things a bit easier sometimes.

If you are geocaching in an urban environment, the city maps (with routing) are probably a better choice, especially if you don't know the neighborhood you are in. It is especially helpful if the cache owner has specified a parking area for the cache and you need to find a way to it. For caching out in the sticks, the topo maps are probably better as they will tell you if a big hill, creek or river is gonna be in the way of your chosen path to the cache.

This is absolutely correct. Great advice. For city geocaching, city street maps are all that I use. In the back country, I only run Topos.

You can also opt for a mapping model in between. For example, the Venture HC at $134 has the better chipset, color screen and can hold 24mb of non-routable MetroGuide maps. If you haven't used a color screen GPS before, I don't think you'd ever go back.

I actually used the GPSr to route to a cache today. Sure is nice to have the GPSr show you which roads to take. Just have to remember to tell it not to lock to roads when you get out of the car. Thank goodness for the profiles on the Colorado.

I agree. I was caching in an unfamiliar place this week, with a lot of weird rural roads, and without autorouting, I couldn't have gotten to a bunch of them.

By the way, I think you mean "off road" vs. "follow road". You should use "off road" to find a cache once you're on foot. However, if you really meant "lock to road", that's just a nicety to correct for position imprecision to make it look like you're exactly on the road. It will hinder your caching, too, though, because it will show you on the road instead of where you truly are in relation to a cache. So, "lock to road" should generally be off at all times for a geocacher. Autorouting will work just fine either way. I suppose if you have it set up in your Colorado profile, then you can have it both ways!

Strictly speaking, topo or street maps are not necessary. My first 4 years with this hobby, I used a Garmin GPS 60 which really has no maps at all, except for dots indicating major cities. However, in the first 3 years I was only logging a dozen or less finds each year. Last year I stepped up my activity a lot, and discovered 2 things: 1-I needed a H-model gps (really was getting frustrated under tree cover) 2-I really wanted topo maps.

Losing signal for half a hike in woods really gets frustrating, and having the direction pointer roam all over the place as you near ground-zero just makes you want to give up early sometimes. A new H-series gps really enhances the geocache experience. As for maps, after finding myself on the wrong side of a creek or road a few times too many as I approached caches last year, I decided I wanted topo maps to see these obstacles as I progress. I really seek out rural, wooded hikes so this is what suites me best. A person who is about gathering 50 finds in a weekend will be wanting street maps with routing so they can dash from location to location, seeking out shortcuts.

My choice for a new gpsr was an eTrex Legend HCx and Topo2008 by Garmin. I gave the eTrex Venture some consideration, but in the end I decided that I would not be able to load enough maps to suite me into the 24MB of internal memory of that unit.

Strictly speaking, topo or street maps are not necessary. My first 4 years with this hobby, I used a Garmin GPS 60 which really has no maps at all, except for dots indicating major cities. However, in the first 3 years I was only logging a dozen or less finds each year. Last year I stepped up my activity a lot, and discovered 2 things: 1-I needed a H-model gps (really was getting frustrated under tree cover) 2-I really wanted topo maps.

Losing signal for half a hike in woods really gets frustrating, and having the direction pointer roam all over the place as you near ground-zero just makes you want to give up early sometimes. A new H-series gps really enhances the geocache experience. As for maps, after finding myself on the wrong side of a creek or road a few times too many as I approached caches last year, I decided I wanted topo maps to see these obstacles as I progress. I really seek out rural, wooded hikes so this is what suites me best. A person who is about gathering 50 finds in a weekend will be wanting street maps with routing so they can dash from location to location, seeking out shortcuts.

My choice for a new gpsr was an eTrex Legend HCx and Topo2008 by Garmin. I gave the eTrex Venture some consideration, but in the end I decided that I would not be able to load enough maps to suite me into the 24MB of internal memory of that unit.

I was lurking and found this string wuth exactly the information that I was interested in. Thanks to you all.

I'll put in a vote for getting an 'H' model that connects to your computer with USB, instead of with the Serial Port. Even if your present computer has a Serial Port, if you get a new laptop, it likely won't have one.

Check out the "Comparison Page" on the Garmin Site to see the features of the new 'H' units. Having Topo maps on the GPS unit, even if you are caching in an urban environment, is still helpful to see the streets and minor highways.