Case for Colorado

I'd be grateful for recommendations for carrying cases for the Garmin Colorados.

Ideally it would be not too bulky, something like canvas, with a plastic cover allowing you to see the device without having to remove it.

Thanks!

Below is an e-mail I received from Gilsson. They seem to make the type of case you are looking for. Some people like them while others kind of hate them.

Thank you for your email! The Colorado is such a new GPS that we don't have a case for it yet.

We are expecting to have the compatible case for sale in about 3 months.

Kindest Regards,

The Gilsson Team

I'd be grateful for recommendations for carrying cases for the Garmin Colorados.

Ideally it would be not too bulky, something like canvas, with a plastic cover allowing you to see the device without having to remove it.

Thanks!

I purchased the case for the CO. Not sure it is worth the $35. Has a clip to open and I can see this breaking. If it does it will open and the CO will fall out. There is no internal strap. The case comes with a carabiner clip.

i agree with monstergolf. the case is bulky, heavy, doesn't hold the gps securely, and doesn't let you see the unit inside. which is why i'm looking for an alternative.

I purchased the case for the CO. Not sure it is worth the $35. Has a clip to open and I can see this breaking. If it does it will open and the CO will fall out. There is no internal strap. The case comes with a carabiner clip.

@KyBadger5

the only garmin case i can find is their neoprene case which is bulky, doesn't strap the unit in, so it might slip out when you open it, and doesn't allow you to view the screen. i'm hoping garmin will come up with something else, but in the meantime i'm open to alternate suggestions.

thanks again

Try this link for a product that protects the screen(lifetime guarantee). $12.00

http://www.invisibleshield.com/gps/garmin

I bought this screen protector, but was very disappointed with what I got. I'm familiar with using products like this as I've ordered 3 similar protectors for 3 other devices I've owned and installed them with little trouble.

The shield I got for the Colorado was just a rectangular piece of the special film - much too large for the screen and not shaped in any way to match any edge or curve on the device. I cannot believe that this product was actually designed for the Colorado and it cannot be made to work without extensive customization.

The product is at least half an inch too wide for the screen. While it might be possible that they intended it to also cover the silver side rails, it is slightly too wide even for that.

Even worse, the product is more than an inch too tall for the screen such that it could cover from the (curved) bottom silver edge all the way up over the 2 buttons and about a quarter inch onto the scroll wheel. Since below that is the removable battery cover and above that is a movable scroll wheel and the product must overlap at least a quarter inch of one or the other or both, it clearly isn't compatible with using it on the Colorado, even if the oversize was intentional.

I've had good luck with very precise fit from BestSkinsEver.com for 3 other device, but they don't offer a solution for the Colorado (yet). :D

I also received the wrong shield for mine more than once. The first shield from IS were wrong, but for some reason the old shields remained in stock. They know this is a problem and will send you a new shield if you call them. They will just ask you to send the old shield back on a SASE they send you.

I have never felt the need to spend $12 (or less for that matter) for an invisible shield or other product when the screen on the Colorado is designed to transmit light well and to resist scratching. I've asked what the value of this screen is, but never got a satisfactory response. I have over 3100 finds and only have one short, light scratch on my GPSmap 60CSx and none on my Colorado 400t.

I have heard that applying an invisible shield after a disaster that scratched the screen will pervent these scratches from being seen. That sounds logical and worth the money, but not being one prophylactically.

As for purchasing a case:

Anything you buy that will work will block the screen, at least partially, and may limit your satellite reception. Why not use the carabiner strap that comes with the unit? I purchased a Bison Designs locking carabiner that looks great with my Colorado and will keep the unit at my side unless my beltloop breaks.

I have only 30 finds and have no scratches on my Colorado 400t at all. When I get to 3100 finds I won't have any scratches either. In fact, when I am ready to toss my Colorado for the voice activated, touch screen, mp3 playing, GPSr with up to 1 inch accuracy I will get sometime in the future .. I will still have no scratches on mine. :huh:

I have owned 2 pocket pcs and screen protectors have been invaluable to me. I didn't use one for my ipod and after 2 years it looks awful. I don't notice any 'screen darkening' from using the invisishield on my Colorado. The shields are completely clear, thus there is no darkening. The only drawback is that it makes it a little more shinier from certain angles.

I use the carabiner as well but still would risk screen scratching from climbing through briars and brush we are plagued with the caches around here. When I am very close to the cache I place my Colorado in my backpack in one of the side mesh pockets. I face the screen towards the pack. This combination with the screen protector has worked well for me.

Edited by themeecer

I have only 30 finds and have no scratches on my Colorado 400t at all. When I get to 3100 finds I won't have any scratches either. In fact, when I am ready to toss my Colorado for the voice activated, touch screen, mp3 playing, GPSr with up to 1 inch accuracy I will get sometime in the future .. I will still have no scratches on mine.

You may and you may not, but you will be out $12 and you will most likely have a dulled, scratched up, and peeling hunk of plastic that you payed way too much money for covering that screen that has glue stuck all over it.

These screens will not scratch from briars or brush. Just won't happen unless you build a scrubby from these materials and literally rub that over your screen with dirt and gravel as an abrasive.

Like I said, it's fine if people want to buy these things, especially if they are prone to putting their units in their pockets with keys and coins and then forgetting them, but its not a good use of money -- not mine at least!

I won't belabor the point, but IF I can get one cacher to save $12 and enjoy the GPS they purchased, I did my job!

Edited by LifeOnEdge!

You may not, but you will most likely have a dulled, scratched up, and peeling hunk of plastic that you payed way too much money for covering that screen that has glue stuck all over it.

Obviously you have never used one. :D

They are not like that... They do not dull, they do not scratch. They look brand new years later. They leave zero residue when removed. Put it on and NEVER worry about screen damage EVER. No need to ever be careful with it.

You can get cheaper ones. Onestopcacheshop sell the same protectors for $3.50, http://onestopcacheshop.com/oscsdec/produc...?products_id=46