How many caches would there be...

Kojones

People, honestly. STOP with the lamp post hides. I want something more clever than that. There are so many in my area that at least one cacher thought my cache was gone because I hid it within 10 feet of a lamp post, and it wasn't in the lamp post. (I did that on purpose.)

I hate to submit a mass-complaint. I'm more looking for your thoughts on this type of hide as well as other very common boring hides in your areas.

Kojones

Sounds like a local problem. I think they go in cycles, we used to have several near here, but I have not found one in a lightpole in Mid-Tennessee in quite some time. It seems like they come into favor for a little while and then they become the object of scorn and derision and then they fade away, or at least that is what seems to have happened here.

Dude... Everybody likes different things man. You need to open your mind man. Let your inner micro come out. Lampposts bring forth light into the darkness man. Lamppost hides are way more creative and adventurous than going somwhere interesting. Lamppost hides get people out of their living rooms and into cool box store parking lots, like Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, etc.

It's all good... It's all good...

I don't 'prefer' lampost hides myself, but I know a lot of cachers who like to increase their find count rely on those for quick grab-n-go's. And then there are the cachers who enjoy a high number of placed caches with those too. I just wish it said on the cache page that it was this type of hide so I could decide ahead of time if I want to find it or not. :)

I remember the first LPC I found. I thought it was such a fun idea. Within a couple of days I had seen more of them than I cared to. Now days I'll find 'em instead of watch my wife pick out new shoes, but I won't go out of my way to find one.

Around here we have a bunch of "Bee Box" caches. Named for the local paper who's boxes they occupy. If I see one more cache with a corny name containing the word "bee" I swear I'm gonna puke! I actually found one without my GPS, PDA, or any idea that a cache was near. I just stopped for a paper and looked in the box out of curiosity. Haven't even bothered to log it. I wounder how many of those boxes are left that DON"T have a magnetic key safe inside?

Hide what you would like to find.

If the last cache left you feeling dissatisfied, pull yourself together and try a different one. Contrary to popular myth (in the forums), all caches are not micros hidden in lampposts.

Of course they aren't. Some of them are micros hidden in guardrails. :)

I don't 'prefer' lampost hides myself, but I know a lot of cachers who like to increase their find count rely on those for quick grab-n-go's. And then there are the cachers who enjoy a high number of placed caches with those too. I just wish it said on the cache page that it was this type of hide so I could decide ahead of time if I want to find it or not. :)
Should all ammo boxes in the woods have a note that says 'ammo box under a pile of sticks? :)
My 1st lamppost hide was a good experience. It took me 6 different visits to find the stupid thing, because I had never seen one before. But after the 1st time, it lost its "coolness". After the 50th time, I lost my "cookies"...
I've found many of these over the years, but even after all that, I still occasionally fail to find one. Go figure.

If the last cache left you feeling dissatisfied, pull yourself together and try a different one. Contrary to popular myth (in the forums), all caches are not micros hidden in lampposts.

Of course they aren't. Some of them are micros hidden in guardrails. :)

Some of them aren't even micros.

I wounder how many of those boxes are left that DON"T have a magnetic key safe inside?

Sometimes I think people don't realize how annoying some caches are. I would have placed a lamppost cache after my experience, but I chose to wait a little while and realized what was good and what was bad. Some people just like to place caches that are quick and easy to find....

It's all about the number for some I suppose

I wounder how many of those boxes are left that DON"T have a magnetic key safe inside?
Sometimes I think people don't realize how annoying some caches are. I would have placed a lamppost cache after my experience, but I chose to wait a little while and realized what was good and what was bad. Some people just like to place caches that are quick and easy to find....

How is it all about the numbers if even you liked them well enough that you almost placed one?

How is it all about the numbers if even you liked them well enough that you almost placed one?

I don't know about R.O.N. but it didn't take me long to figure out that they had been done to death. Now I just filter out micros. I am sure that I miss out on one or two good micro hides, but I don't waste quality caching time on LPCs. I do have a PQ result in my PDA that includes micros for the days that my wife wants to stop at every shopping plaza. Like I said, it beats watching her pick between two pairs of shoes that look the same to me. :)

I don't know about R.O.N. but it didn't take me long to figure out that they had been done to death. Now I just filter out micros. I am sure that I miss out on one or two good micro hides, but I don't waste quality caching time on LPCs. I do have a PQ result in my PDA that includes micros for the days that my wife wants to stop at every shopping plaza. Like I said, it beats watching her pick between two pairs of shoes that look the same to me. :)

Have one of those set up for a jaunt tomorrow that I would otherwise spend my time twiddling my thumbs waiting or comparing shoes :)

Edited by Mad&Lil'Dreamer

** ALMOST ** but I waited like a good geocacher before placing my 1st cache

Have one of those set up for a jaunt tomorrow that I would otherwise spend my time twiddling my thumbs waiting or comparing shoes :)

Makes me glad I have to work tomorrow.

I'm glad we don't have that problem around here. There's only one LPM in the entire valley :)

We do have a cacher that does some evil micro hides and even a standard that takes most people at least two tries to find it.

Wen I go to an area I look for traditional caches from small on up. If I come across a micro with a lot of DNF's I'll go and look for it as I do enjoy a clever hide

Wow a bipolar post. :)

People, honestly. STOP with the lamp post hides. I want something more clever than that. There are so many in my area that at least one cacher thought my cache was gone because I hid it within 10 feet of a lamp post, and it wasn't in the lamp post. (I did that on purpose.)

OOOooOOoo the entitlement. OOOooOOooo the EXPECTATION. :D

I hate to submit a mass-complaint.

Then don't. :D

I'm more looking for your thoughts on this type of hide as well as other very common boring hides in your areas.

It's not so much WHAT you say as HOW you say it. The first part of your OP cooled me on participating in that last part. :)

LPCs have a place in the game. They are not going to go away.

I like them (to find) because I can usually know ahead of time what to expect, which is nice when you're on the road in a Big Truck, and cannot easily get to many places where the better Caches are. One way to make them more fun is to think of something to leave as swag that you will enjoy leaving for the next finder. My biggest dissappointment with them is that so many Cachers are too creatively challenged or too lazy to leave anything in them as trade, so I'm left to just add my own swag and enjoy the Cache that way.

Finding a bunch of things that I like to leave for others has really helped me enjoy Caches that others may not, and I can even enjoy a stop at a Cache I've found before, just to add more swag.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

The topic title:

How many caches would there be....if lamp posts had never been invented?
Due to lawsuits made by people who got hurt stumbling around the parking lots at the local Wal-Mart, the stores would have had to close at dusk without lamp posts. People who have to work during daylight would have less time to shop at all, probably restricting their shopping to essentials.

The shortened hours would mean that the stores would be more crowded when they were open. The hassle of dealing with the crowds would discourage some from shopping for things that weren't essential, ie caches.

Yes, indeed, without lamp posts there would probably be less caches.

;)

If you don't like lamp post hides, then don't look for them.

But then again, how do you know it's in a lamp post until you've looked for it?

Hmmmmm. Let me think about this.

Look at the name of the hider, size, difficulty/terrain rating, and part of the country. If it's a micro 1/1 (or 1.5/1.5) hidden by someone who hides lots of LPC's, and the description reads something like "Quick grab for a smiley!!!!1!!1", then it's like a LPC.

If you don't like lamp post hides, then don't look for them.

But then again, how do you know it's in a lamp post until you've looked for it?

Hmmmmm. Let me think about this.

Look at the name of the hider, size, difficulty/terrain rating, and part of the country. If it's a micro 1/1 (or 1.5/1.5) hidden by someone who hides lots of LPC's, and the description reads something like "Quick grab for a smiley!!!!1!!1", then it's like a LPC.

Cool! Then after several hours of research, I might get a couple caches in before dusk ;)

One of the my earliest cache finds was a LPC in the parking lot of the local library. I was amazed. What a clever hide! Who knew these things lifted up?

Having read these forums for a week before my GPS arrived, I took to heart the advice to find 100 or so caches before hiding any. I'm glad I did. The second LPC wasn't near as amazing and the third, etc. were boring in the extreme.

While I'll occasionally find one for a quick smiley they're certainly not my favorite.

But the real sad story is my brother-in-law who intro'd use to caching almost 3 years ago. He gave it up last year because he liked the aspect of going in the woods with his young kids and trading swag but says in his part of North Carolina there's nothing but LPC's now.

Wow a bipolar post. :D

OOOooOOoo the entitlement. OOOooOOooo the EXPECTATION. ;)

I hate to submit a mass-complaint.

Then don't. :(

I'm more looking for your thoughts on this type of hide as well as other very common boring hides in your areas.

It's not so much WHAT you say as HOW you say it. The first part of your OP cooled me on participating in that last part. ;)

Then don't.

No one is twisting your arm.

Seriously, one of the recurring posts when this is brought up is if you don't like 'em don't look for 'em. Well here is your chance. If you (read that as anyone) Don't want to participate in this discussion please, feel free to not post.

LPCs have a place in tha game. They are not going to go away.

I like them (to find) because I can usually know ahead of time what to expect, which is nice when you're on the road in a Big Truck, and cannot easily get to many places where the better Caches are. One way to make them more fun is to think of something to leave as swag that you will enjoy leaving for the next finder. My biggest dissappointment with them is that so many Cachers are too creatively challenged or too lazy to leave anything in them as trade, so I'm left to just add my own swag and enjoy the Cache that way.

Finding a bunch of things that I like to leave for others has really helped me enjoy Caches that others may not, and I can even enjoy a stop at a Cache I've found before, just to add more swag.

I totally agree with you on that. There is absolutley no reason why a fair number of micros can not contain travel bugs and coins. I personally happen to own a series of 20 such trackables that fit very well inside a 35mm film container along with the log and pencil stub. (go to my profile and find them if you are interested)

I also agree and think that maybe the reason so many people are burned out on micros is because they contain nothing but the log, and there is no real sense of discovery and suprise at what might be in there.

While I'll occasionally find one for a quick smiley they're certainly not my favorite.

But the real sad story is my brother-in-law who intro'd use to caching almost 3 years ago. He gave it up last year because he liked the aspect of going in the woods with his young kids and trading swag but says in his part of North Carolina there's nothing but LPC's now.

Maybe we should start a grass roots movement to get with lpc owners and convince them to move it to some other location nearby and convert it to some regular type of cache. It could be the new 5/5, go to a walmart parkinglot and search lamp posts relentlessly for hours because it doesnt occur to you that it's actually over to one side in a bush or something... ;)

Okay. I'll admit that I put out an LPC. ;) It was meant to be a satire, but I don't think that anyone has realized that. There's no skirt on the LP. It was hidden to be seen from your car if you park in the right place. But somebody hid it better, and I couldn't find it. (Some people just do not understand satire, I guess.) It's a 2.5 mystery cache that you should be able to brute-force in five minutes (though no one has.) Most finders have enjoyed it. Oh,well. I tried. ;) That'll teach me to attempt humor.

I general do not trade. I don't care if the cache is empty save for the log. But I would be interested in getting something from a cache. Give me great scenery, an interesting hide, an artful container, something. An LPC has none of that. Seen one and you've seen 'em all.

There are so many in my area that at least one cacher thought my cache was gone because I hid it within 10 feet of a lamp post, and it wasn't in the lamp post. (I did that on purpose.)

It sounds to me like after you purposely hid a cache 10 feet from a lamp post you're actually upset that someone was fooled by your attempt to fool them.

;)

Edited by Mushtang
How many caches would there be..., ...if lamp posts had never been invented?

I have no idea how significant the total drop in numbers would be, but at least the overall cache quality would iprove tremendously. Then again, maybe not. Those folks living in a vaccuum of creativity would continue to hide uninspired caches, just not under lamp posts. A marked increase in the number of guardrail hide-a-keys, perhaps? ;)

My first lamp post find kinda took me by surprise. I was fairly new to the game and hadn't really branched out very far from my home coords. I had found nothing but cleverly hidden caches of all sizes up to this point, and my un-snoogensly sense of expectation entitlement led be to the incredibly naive theory that all caches were placed by creative people.

As I followed the little arrow, my GPSr directed me into a parking lot. "What the heck?" I thought. Why would anybody bring me to this stinking slab of exhaust laden blacktop teaming with soccer moms in SUV's? Still retaining a shred of my earlier expectations, I thought that maybe, just maybe, someone came up with a way to cleverly hide something in so desolate a location. Then the arrow swung toward a lamp post. Surely not. ;) It can't be that easy. Sure enough, I raised the skrt and there it was. A film canister, with the prerequisite soggy log.

Since then, I've come to the conclusion that no force on the planet can keep uninspired people from creating uninspired hides. The option I elected to avoid this was two fold: 1) Eliminate micros from my PQ's. 2) Discern who it was that hid carpy hides and avoid anything published under their name. I now live in a geocaching state of bliss.

Should all ammo boxes in the woods have a note that says 'ammo box under a pile of sticks?' ;)

Yes, except for the ones that should say "ammo box in the woods in a hollow log" ;)

You know, I've cached in a few states now, and I haven't really noticed this is much of a problem. No, not even as a traveler just passing through and not familiar with the local landscape. I've found more than a few caches now, and only a double handful of them were under lamposts. Most of those I chose to do for one reason or another. And even then, most had some redeeming quality (quirky hide, funny joke visual nearby, interesting historical spot or scenic view nearby). Of course, I glance at the webpage before I head out and make a special note of the cache I really want to go after.

In all this time, there has been only 1 that 'fooled' me and snuck up on me. It was in a very historic town. It had a name that suggested I would see the remnants of something historically important. I arrived there, in the middle of a day of finding many wonderful caches with incredible amounts of history and panoramic views, only to find a lampost micro in the lot where there used to be a big box store.

All the other caches that guy had done were terrific; I have no idea why this one got through, but oh well. I figured at that point I had two choices--look for the cache or don't look for the cache. I decided since I was parked right next to it anyway, I might as well log it while we looked up the next cache on the PDA. So I did.

I'd guess the average densely packed city these days has maybe, a dozen lampost caches per 500 caches at most. If your (the generic you) area has more, perhaps you need to stop finding them and start hiding some of the kinds of caches you want to find. People do copy what they enjoy. Make it be so.

Edited by Neos2

I general do not trade. I don't care if the cache is empty save for the log. But I would be interested in getting something from a cache. Give me great scenery, an interesting hide, an artful container, something. An LPC has none of that. Seen one and you've seen 'em all.

It's all in the eye of the beholder, here's the gallery from a LPC type Cache, even named No Redeeming Value...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.asp...eb-d8e1002bfe9c

When I find the right spot, I'll be hiding one like it that has an additional logging request to test out your Macro skills nearby, or write a creative log.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Of course they aren't. Some of them are micros hidden in guardrails. ;)

Some of them aren't even micros.

Some are nanos.

There are 4 LMS caches withing 10 miles of where I live and none hidden in guardrails. What I dislike most about LMS and guardrail caches is that the logs are all uninteresting. Uninteresting hides produce uninteresting logs.

There is nothing wrong with lampost caches. Here is a DNF and a found log from one nearby:

September 7, 2007 by ----- (16 found)

I looked everywhere. On the mailbox,the pole,and all the signs near the parking lot. I was really mad.

September 14, 2007 by ----- (16 found)

Finally found this one. It was hidden very very well. It took me 5 times to find it. Took nothing. Left some money.

It's only when they are mass produced over and over and you dont realize it until you get there then it just sucks the spirit out of the hunt. I was in one area and the same hider had 50 or more. It was lampost, guardrail, lampost, guardrail, lampost, guardrail...

The exception are the ones that are just off the exit or clearly identified, as you can target them for a quick stop or easily avoid if you wanted to. JMO

** ALMOST ** but I waited like a good geocacher before placing my 1st cache
;)

There is nothing wrong with lampost caches. Here is a DNF and a found log from one nearby:

September 7, 2007 by ----- (16 found)

I looked everywhere. On the mailbox,the pole,and all the signs near the parking lot. I was really mad.

September 14, 2007 by ----- (16 found)

Finally found this one. It was hidden very very well. It took me 5 times to find it. Took nothing. Left some money.

It's only when they are mass produced over and over and you dont realize it until you get there then it just sucks the spirit out of the hunt. I was in one area and the same hider had 50 or more. It was lampost, guardrail, lampost, guardrail, lampost, guardrail...

The exception are the ones that are just off the exit or clearly identified, as you can target them for a quick stop or easily avoid if you wanted to. JMO

Yes, one tenth of one percent of a handful of these lame caches turn out to be less lame than the others. As you pointed out the problem is that there is still no way to tell them apart without going there and looking. Many of us don't want to waste all the effort when simply not looking for any micro cache will improve our chance of finding a decent cache by the inverse of that percentage, thus improving our enjoyment of caching.

Now, if what you want is to find is one after the other near identical, uninspired, caches in mundane places with the wild life limited to Impalas, Cougars, and the like then hey, enjoy the parking lots. While you're there pick me up some socks.

Now for the truth in advertising part of this rambling post. Yes, I still will find them when the other choice is following my wife through isle after isle on the inside of one of the stores these things appear in front of. ;) But if I'm planning a day of caching I'm looking for a chance to get my hikers dirty and maybe take a couple of interesting pictures.

Many thanks for keeping this post alive. I'm glad there are lots of you out there that feel the same way. I thought this would be the case, and is why I brought it up.

Thanks to those who posted their thoughts on my "entitlement" and "Kojones is better than the rest of us." Those posts just kept this thread alive for the meaningful posters to find it.

I do not feel entitled or that I'm better than any of you. Am I not entitled to my opinion? LOL, just look at how many others have the same opinion. Look who looks "self-righteous" now.

Again, thanks for all your opinions. I was hoping this thread would stay at least somewhat free of personal attacks, which it has...mostly.

Keep on posting!

Kojones

Many thanks for keeping this post alive. I'm glad there are lots of you out there that feel the same way. I thought this would be the case, and is why I brought it up.

Thanks to those who posted their thoughts on my "entitlement" and "Kojones is better than the rest of us." Those posts just kept this thread alive for the meaningful posters to find it.

I do not feel entitled or that I'm better than any of you. Am I not entitled to my opinion? LOL, just look at how many others have the same opinion. Look who looks "self-righteous" now.

Again, thanks for all your opinions. I was hoping this thread would stay at least somewhat free of personal attacks, which it has...mostly.

Keep on posting!

Kojones

You get that this thread is basically a duplicate of 5000 other threads on the subject, right?

Some people like LPMs, some people don't. Some people would like to create a rule that would forbid them, some people think that we have enough rules.

I just posted the following over on icecream.com

People, honestly. STOP with the vanilla ice cream. I want something more clever than that. There is so much vanilla ice cream in my supermarket that at least one ice cream lover thought my flavor was gone was gone because I put it within 10 feet of the vanilla ice cream, and it wasn't vanilla. (I did that on purpose.)

I hate to submit a mass-complaint. I'm more looking for your thoughts on this flavor of ice cream as well as other very common boring flavors in your areas.

Kojones,

Your are entitled to enjoy certain flavors of ice cream more that other flavors and even say that you find some flavors boring. Understand however that other people enjoy the boring flavors. If it seems at times that there are only boring flavors in your supermarket consider the following.

There is more vanilla because everyone is willing to eat vanilla, some people can't eat other flavors or just don't like those flavors.

There is more vanilla because vanilla is easier and cheaper to make than other flavors.

There is more vanilla because many people actually like vanilla.

If your supermarket only carries vanilla and you didn't like vanilla, you would probably just go to another supermarket.

;)

I just posted the following over on icecream.com

People, honestly. STOP with the vanilla ice cream. I want something more clever than that. There is so much vanilla ice cream in my supermarket that at least one ice cream lover thought my flavor was gone was gone because I put it within 10 feet of the vanilla ice cream, and it wasn't vanilla. (I did that on purpose.)

I hate to submit a mass-complaint. I'm more looking for your thoughts on this flavor of ice cream as well as other very common boring flavors in your areas.

Kojones,

Your are entitled to enjoy certain flavors of ice cream more that other flavors and even say that you find some flavors boring. Understand however that other people enjoy the boring flavors. If it seems at times that there are only boring flavors in your supermarket consider the following.

There is more vanilla because everyone is willing to eat vanilla, some people can't eat other flavors or just don't like those flavors.

There is more vanilla because vanilla is easier and cheaper to make than other flavors.

There is more vanilla because many people actually like vanilla.

If your supermarket only carries vanilla and you didn't like vanilla, you would probably just go to another supermarket.

:unsure:

Or, you can go down that "Rocky Road" to the hills, mountains, deserts and find the caches you like and not worry about the LPCs. I prefer that, but an occasional LPC never hurt me.

Sounds like a local problem. I think they go in cycles, we used to have several near here, but I have not found one in a lightpole in Mid-Tennessee in quite some time. It seems like they come into favor for a little while and then they become the object of scorn and derision and then they fade away, or at least that is what seems to have happened here.

Heh! So it looks like I was a few years ahead of my time when I complained about the preponderance of them there in your area 4 or so years ago! Maybe I'll have to come on back and give Nashville a fresh chance.

(This is a totally non-sarcastic post, Brad.) :unsure:

Heh! So it looks like I was a few years ahead of my time when I complained about the preponderance of them there in your area 4 or so years ago! Maybe I'll have to come on back and give Nashville a fresh chance.

It should be noted that LPMs still exist in the area. Brad has no doubt largely cleared the area so is likely pretty much only going after recent hides, where I still am looking for caches that have been in place for a few years. Therefore, he doesn't come across them often while I find them with some frequency.

It should be noted that LPMs still exist in the area. Brad has no doubt largely cleared the area so is likely pretty much only going after recent hides, where I still am looking for caches that have been in place for a few years. Therefore, he doesn't come across them often while I find them with some frequency.

Oh, I'm sure they do (still exist there), which is a main reason I seldom cache anymore. Too much crap/chaff everywhere, not enough wheat.