AARGH I AM SO SO SO CONFUSED!

redslm

Please please please help me! I found my first cache yesterday without a GPS, but today I spent ages trying to find another one and failed - my 3 year old was most disappointed not to find the treasure haha!

So I must get a GPS.

I was about to buy a Garmin eTrex H BUT then found out that if I upgrade slightly then I might be able to somehow download co-ords directly from gc.com to my GPS? Also am I right in thinking it's important to get a GPS with an H in the name (I will be using it in deep forests)?

My budget is up to about £85 max. I need something quite basic (I am not particularly technical) that I will simply be using for geocaching.

PLEASE someone just tell me what to get, I am SO confused!

Hi redslm

I managed to pick up an Etrex H from the flea bay site for £50.

It is great and works well under trees.

Not sure if the person is still selling them but they came from USA.

Have a good look they are out there somewhere.

Not sure if there are any cheapies for sale on the car boot sale on this site?

FBC

Thanks everyone!

fatblokecaver, I also have been looking at all the fleabay ones, that US seller still has them for about £50 but £15 postage.. Amazon are selling for just over £60 so may as well get one from there methinks.

Cheers for all your suggestions guys.

(PS No idea why my posts keep duplicating!)

.......I was about to buy a Garmin eTrex H BUT then found out that if I upgrade slightly then I might be able to somehow download co-ords directly from gc.com to my GPS? Also am I right in thinking it's important to get a GPS with an H in the name (I will be using it in deep forests)?

My budget is up to about £85 max. I need something quite basic (I am not particularly technical) that I will simply be using for geocaching.

Welcome to the mad world of Geocaching! :D:):)

The Etrex H is perfectly good and spot on for your budget - it also is able to download waypoints direct from GC.com. I use the older older pre-H version (the H is better for under trees) and it's all you need for geocaching - it does what it says on the tin.

You will need an Etrex H LINK, and a data cable LINK - get the cheaper cables available on ebay - the Garmin one is expensive.

.......I was about to buy a Garmin eTrex H BUT then found out that if I upgrade slightly then I might be able to somehow download co-ords directly from gc.com to my GPS? Also am I right in thinking it's important to get a GPS with an H in the name (I will be using it in deep forests)?

Welcome to the mad world of Geocaching! :D:D:)

The Etrex H is perfectly good and spot on for your budget - it also is able to download waypoints direct from GC.com. I use the older older pre-H version (the H is better for under trees) and it's all you need for geocaching - it does what it says on the tin.

You will need an Etrex H LINK, and a data cable LINK - get the cheaper cables available on ebay - the Garmin one is expensive.

AHA perfect answer - thank you - that is what I shall do then! Yipppeeeeee I can't wait to get hunting :)

Thank you FollowMeChaps - and thank you for the welcome. My children are SO excited about it all (as am I!)!!

redslm

While you are awaiting your new toys you can always use Google Earth to find some more.

1. If you have not already done so download GE from here.

2. Then go your Geocaching account page LINK and click the “Download Geocache browser in Google Earth” link towards the bottom of the right hand column. This will download a gizmo that shows icons for all the caches in Google Earth.

3. Click on the icons for caches where you are going to open and read their details. Please note however that the icons for the caches are deliberately offset. IMPORTANT - To see where the cache is you need to copy the cache coordinates from the top of their listing page (eg N 52° 03.352 W 000° 47.640) THEN paste the coord’s in the white search bar at the top left of the Google Earth screen. This will show you EXACTLY where the cache is.

This method won’t help on a lot of caches such as those in wooded areas, etc. but you’ll find many in a more open area by a tree or similar landmark where it will give you all the info you need. I just tried it on the cache you have already found and am sure that I could have found that one using this method. It's much more fun with you GPS when you get it but this might keep the kids happy whilst you are waiting.

Have fun.

OOoooooh thanks for that info, I will follow that method while I'm waiting for my new toy to arrive! I did use some sort of google earth type thing for the one I found (no idea how though!!!) - I did find it quite easily and you are quite right, it would be fine for the more open-area cache locations.. but definitely not the wooded locations (tried and tested - and failed!!!!).

Thanks for the easy to follow guide, brilliant - and very much appreciated.