How come there isn't a thread for Illinois Cachers?

otis89

Hey there...yep... I have had a lot of fun finding other's caches so I wanted to give back with my own hides. I think I have 7 out and have a few others in the works right now.

My daughter and I were actually down in Marshall last weekend and were 1 for 2 on your hides. We grabbed a TB from the "tippy" but couldn't find the cache down the road. I might try it next time I am down in the area.

Good to hear from you.

Hi all, Im new to geocaching, I live in that little northeastern town in Illinois called Chicago...Anyone ever heard of it? To date after 3 days of geocaching I have found five of 9 I have searched for...I would be interested in meeting other Chicago Geocachers for help in lerning this new hobby and maybe serching together too...

Hi Otis (WG?=$ Chi-Town Romeo $)

Edited by IMROMEO1369

Hi all, Im new to geocaching, I live in that little northeastern town in Illinois called Chicago...Anyone ever heard of it? To date after 3 days of geocaching I have found five of 9 I have searched for...I would be interested in meeting other Chicago Geocachers for help in lerning this new hobby and maybe serching together too...

Hi Otis (WG?=$ Chi-Town Romeo $)

GONIL.org :anibad:

Is GONIL.org broken? I tried to register there a few nights ago the same time I registered on geocaching.com, and never got activation e-mail from gonil, and when I tried the link to resend activation it said it was successful, but the the title bar said there was an error. I also tried the contact form early yesterday I think, and no response yet. And gonil.org site appears to be down now (no response).

A this time I have an ancient Garmin GPS 45 that still has waypoints from 1995 on it, that I just got a Gilsson power/serial cable for and USB/serial cable, and new nuvi 750 with added topo maps in Elgin, IL.

Is GONIL.org broken? I tried to register there a few nights ago the same time I registered on geocaching.com, and never got activation e-mail from gonil, and when I tried the link to resend activation it said it was successful, but the the title bar said there was an error. I also tried the contact form early yesterday I think, and no response yet. And gonil.org site appears to be down now (no response).

A this time I have an ancient Garmin GPS 45 that still has waypoints from 1995 on it, that I just got a Gilsson power/serial cable for and USB/serial cable, and new nuvi 750 with added topo maps in Elgin, IL.

GONIL should be back up and running tomorrow afternoon. There's currently an issue with the ISP provider of the sites host.

GONIL should be back up and running tomorrow afternoon. There's currently an issue with the ISP provider of the sites host.

Looks like our most excellent host got it fixed tonight. :D

Looks like our most excellent host got it fixed tonight. :blink:

But how do I contact anyone at gonil.org to tell them their registration is still broken? Resend activation code still fails with "An error occured" at top dispite "Successfully sent..." in body (not). E-mail address/password resend of activation code appears to do nothing (remains on that page). Login attempt recognizes me, but says I need to activate first. Previous Contact form is unanswered (just re-submitted now, but can't tell if it works). So I am stuck in pre-activation limbo.

Looks like our most excellent host got it fixed tonight. :D

But how do I contact anyone at gonil.org to tell them their registration is still broken? Resend activation code still fails with "An error occured" at top dispite "Successfully sent..." in body (not). E-mail address/password resend of activation code appears to do nothing (remains on that page). Login attempt recognizes me, but says I need to activate first. Previous Contact form is unanswered (just re-submitted now, but can't tell if it works). So I am stuck in pre-activation limbo.

Sorry about the issues you've had trying to register. I just manually activated your account so you should be good to go. :D

Sorry about the issues you've had trying to register. I just manually activated your account so you should be good to go. :D

Thanks. I hadn't checked back here because I was trying to get a feel for bidding at Ebay to pick up a GPS (eTrex Legend HCx).

If anyone is interested there are 50 more where that came from, bundled with City Navigator NT, DC power cable, suction cup mount, and 128 MB microSD. Bidding starts at $0.99, but doesn't stay there, actual selling prices for the past 111 have ranged from $137.50-202.50. Works somewhat better than my no-map GPS 45 from 1995. Search Ebay for: GARMIN ETREX LEGEND HCX BUNDLE

You didn't plant GCNE7Z did you (Corp of the Tree)? It has not been found since July 4 and was my 1st DNF using my GPS 45, but I didn't realize I was looking for a micro cache. A number of trees in the area were down including one blackened by fire.

Sorry about the issues you've had trying to register. I just manually activated your account so you should be good to go. :laughing:

Thanks. I hadn't checked back here because I was trying to get a feel for bidding at Ebay to pick up a GPS (eTrex Legend HCx).

If anyone is interested there are 50 more where that came from, bundled with City Navigator NT, DC power cable, suction cup mount, and 128 MB microSD. Bidding starts at $0.99, but doesn't stay there, actual selling prices for the past 111 have ranged from $137.50-202.50. Works somewhat better than my no-map GPS 45 from 1995. Search Ebay for: GARMIN ETREX LEGEND HCX BUNDLE

You didn't plant GCNE7Z did you (Corp of the Tree)? It has not been found since July 4 and was my 1st DNF using my GPS 45, but I didn't realize I was looking for a micro cache. A number of trees in the area were down including one blackened by fire.

Nope, didn't place that one. The original container was one of my sig items tho- hence the name. :laughing:

Hey marshall cachers need a lil help....A buddy of mine deer hunts over your way actually north of town on some private ground that is along fox creek..He ran across a cache that was a magnetic key holder last year there..We looked and looked online for it...Nothing!! O.k no biggie cache might be archived..Well this past saturday he found a film tube with a log in it in the same exact place he found the magnetic key holder..Any ideas? All i can find over around that area is when pigs fly and i think it was nice view of the lake..The way i figure it is somewhere off county road E1900th..

He said it was a log with one name on it but couldnt remember the name..I asked if there was numbers on it cause i thought well it might be part of a multi but he said no just a log sheet..

Edited by chief_illini217

Hey marshall cachers need a lil help....A buddy of mine deer hunts over your way actually north of town on some private ground that is along fox creek..He ran across a cache that was a magnetic key holder last year there..We looked and looked online for it...Nothing!! O.k no biggie cache might be archived..Well this past saturday he found a film tube with a log in it in the same exact place he found the magnetic key holder..Any ideas? All i can find over around that area is when pigs fly and i think it was nice view of the lake..The way i figure it is somewhere off county road E1900th..

He said it was a log with one name on it but couldnt remember the name..I asked if there was numbers on it cause i thought well it might be part of a multi but he said no just a log sheet..

It might have been this one. There are a few archived caches in that area.

Hey guys where can i find the list of caches that are part of the delorme challenge for illinois? I have seen a few other cachers mention the delorme in there logs and i am curious about it....

There are no set caches that you need to find to claim the Illinois DeLorme Challenge. Here's the link to the cache page for it. In addition, here's a link to the Illinois All County Challenge and one to the FizzyMagic challenge for Illinois also. You can check the various pages for associated bookmark lists.

There are threads for other states' cachers to chat in. How come there isn't one for Illinois?

Because it only gets posted to every three months? B) and therefore is hard to find? ;)

It's not my fault. I post in it when I have something to say. Unfortunately, no one else seems all that interested in having a thread to chat in. :)

Well, I don't post much anymore. :lol: I don't have much to say as my health isn't cooperating with me in order to go caching. The kids and I recently went to an event and bagged one on the way home, though. If I can't go caching I usually don't feel much like getting online either. I do check the General forum and this one at least once a week though.

There are threads for other states' cachers to chat in. How come there isn't one for Illinois?

Because it only gets posted to every three months? B) and therefore is hard to find? :D

It's not my fault. I post in it when I have something to say. Unfortunately, no one else seems all that interested in having a thread to chat in. :(

I chat with you all the time. Just not in here. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know why there are no caches listed in Weldon Springs? Are they not allowing caches there to be posted, or did the temporary park closure have something to do with it? If we can cache there, I have some grandiose plans--it really is a wonderful park.

Be sure to get your permit from the IDNR:

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt/Progr.../Geocaching.htm

Cool, thanks for the link. Glad to see they do have provisions for caching.

Edited by ConspiracyOfOne

This is by far my most unpleasant caching experience yet. Freaking a-hole. :rolleyes:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...6e-c2f04d1752fa

I almost didn't attempt that one because I couldn't find a good place to park. I ended up parking off the side of the road a ways from it and hiking to it because I thought the neighbor might be an a-hole. It's funny that I thought that before seeing this post.

Otis, I have to agree with you on that cache. The neighbor is a schmuck. I don't know who he is and don't wanna know. I have found that one though. I brought all the kids with me. Maybe thats why he didn't holler at us. Maybe we were lucky and he wasn't home. Either way Im glad we got that one 'done'.

NOw that youve been using your new GPS for awhile do you still like it as much? I still have my old blue Legend and am thinking of moving up to something with a color screen but haven't decided on any one model yet. I'm curious what you think of yours.

NOw that youve been using your new GPS for awhile do you still like it as much? I still have my old blue Legend and am thinking of moving up to something with a color screen but haven't decided on any one model yet. I'm curious what you think of yours.

I just used my eTrex Venture HC for the first time this week. With WAAS enabled, it was very accurate. I was looking for a quick PnG on a narrow, one lane road. It was accurate as to which side of the road I should look on.

Otis, I have to agree with you on that cache. The neighbor is a schmuck. I don't know who he is and don't wanna know. I have found that one though. I brought all the kids with me. Maybe thats why he didn't holler at us. Maybe we were lucky and he wasn't home. Either way Im glad we got that one 'done'.

I love it! It works way better than the POS Vista I had before it. It gets a signal within seconds and is very accurate.

We like saying "illinoise" because it annoys the few chicagoland illinoiseians who CAN read, and the rest think that's the way it's pronounced...

There's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more to Illinois than Chicago. I live well south of Chicago, can read, and know how to pronounce Illinois.

That is right more to Illinois than Chicago

Hello I will be traveling back to the Quad Cities in the near future and I am looking for some good places to cache any idea!

I would suggest Sylvan Island in Moline (1st Street and 1st Avenue). There are 5 caches there now. A while back the area was cleaned up & given a make-over. This is a neat place to walk around and see all the remants of the old steel mill while you are going from cache to cache.

Hope you have a nice visit back in the cities! :unsure:

That's cool! I love it when I see a cache within a few miles of my house, it's like a personal challenge to get off my behind and get out there. Found one this AM when I got up too early to go to work but before people started getting into a local park to spoil the hunt. Bonus!

Welcome to the ranks of premium membership. It will pay off the first time you get that email tipping you off to a cache before anyone else....

Karl

That's cool! I love it when I see a cache within a few miles of my house, it's like a personal challenge to get off my behind and get out there. Found one this AM when I got up too early to go to work but before people started getting into a local park to spoil the hunt. Bonus!

Welcome to the ranks of premium membership. It will pay off the first time you get that email tipping you off to a cache before anyone else....

Karl

Thanks. I'm starting to wonder if my email system at work is blocking it because I've had it on for a few days and no emails. Maybe I'm just anxious. :(