How come there isn't a thread for Illinois Cachers?

otis89

Hey I would like to cache with someone in Northern Illinois. Anyone out there?

No, nobody from Illinoise will talk to you. :) But, if you ever get to the Ft.Wayne INDIANA area, we'll be glad to take you caching with us!! Free hotdogs and Poptarts, too. Lots of long hikes in the woods and cemeteries, too. :)

what's this guy's problem? I know,he lives in a broken down trailer in fort winn dixie and all he can afford is hotdogs and poortarts which obviously have WAY too much processed sugar.

Now might be a good time to remind everyone that the forums are supposed to be a friendly and happy place. Please keep in mind the guidelines:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

I think most of us have been around long enough to recognize the friendly joking and banter between the IlliNOISE and IndiANNER cachers. Some newer members, or those from further away, might not have that same context and misunderstand some of the stuff that's been said here. Let's try to be sensitive about that.

For example, in the interest of being sensitive to the needs of Indiana cachers, I'm writing this very very slowly so you won't have any trouble reading it.

You're welcome,

Bret

Now might be a good time to remind everyone that the forums are supposed to be a friendly and happy place. Please keep in mind the guidelines:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

I think most of us have been around long enough to recognize the friendly joking and banter between the IlliNOISE and IndiANNER cachers. Some newer members, or those from further away, might not have that same context and misunderstand some of the stuff that's been said here. Let's try to be sensitive about that.

For example, in the interest of being sensitive to the needs of Indiana cachers, I'm writing this very very slowly so you won't have any trouble reading it.

You're welcome,

Bret

See, now Bret , the thing is--no matter how slowly you type it, it still has all them big-city words in it and that's what makes it hard for us to read -- it would help if you would put them little hyphen things in between the syllables... Then we'd be more inclined to acquiesce to your request--besides, them thar guidelines aren't like actual RULES, don't you know...There be MONSTERS lurking here! ARGH! :P

See, now Bret , the thing is--no matter how slowly you type it, it still has all them big-city words in it and that's what makes it hard for us to read -- it would help if you would put them little hyphen things in between the syllables... Then we'd be more inclined to acquiesce to your request--besides, them thar guidelines aren't like actual RULES, don't you know...There be MONSTERS lurking here! ARGH! :lol:

MONSTERS! Are there MONSTERS in Illinois?

Up at the top of the Midwest is a pinned thread linking all of the local organizations.

CIGA (Central Illinois Geocacher's Association) is mentioned in this post.

There's also Little Egypt Geocaching Society (L.E.G.S.).

There's also St. Louis Area Geocachers Association, which professes a round boundary of 100 miles from southwest St. Louis.

Here's a rough estimate of some of the regions...

92ce56f2-b809-49bb-a949-11ac44b9f477.jpg

GONIL has defined boudaries. L.E.G.S. is just a polygon of their participant's towns. Same with CIGA. SLAGA is a circular border of their rough area.

Shelbyville doesn't seem to fall into any of them, so I'd think that you could participate in whatever organization you wanted.

Well, we haven't been able to go caching for about 2 weeks but I have been to "Indianer" and have been picking up likely bits of swag...does that count as being an active cacher?

By the way, otis, you were in my yard awhile back (Tippys), sorry I didn't see you out there or else I'd have come out to say Hi.

I'm on here a lot but I don't say much because I can't think of anything useful or witty to say. ;)

I had to go to Olney today for business and wanted to cache on the way back, and of course it's pouring down rain. Brought my better half so I thought that I'd stay out of the rain and not give her any MORE reason to question my sanity. Too bad, too, because I could almost hear those caches calling...might not have even needed the GPS.

Up at the top of the Midwest is a pinned thread linking all of the local organizations.

CIGA (Central Illinois Geocacher's Association) is mentioned in this post.

There's also Little Egypt Geocaching Society (L.E.G.S.).

There's also St. Louis Area Geocachers Association, which professes a round boundary of 100 miles from southwest St. Louis.

Here's a rough estimate of some of the regions...

92ce56f2-b809-49bb-a949-11ac44b9f477.jpg

GONIL has defined boudaries. L.E.G.S. is just a polygon of their participant's towns. Same with CIGA. SLAGA is a circular border of their rough area.

Shelbyville doesn't seem to fall into any of them, so I'd think that you could participate in whatever organization you wanted.

JUST TO LET ANYONE KNOW WHO ALSO MIGHT BE LOOKING OT JOIN A GROUP..THE ST.LOUIS BASED GROUP DOES NOT COVER AREAS UP AND AROUND EFFINGHAM OR LAKE SHELBYVILLE AREA ACCORDING OT THERE WEBSITE WHICH INCLUDES A MAP OF COVERED AREA.

Well, we haven't been able to go caching for about 2 weeks but I have been to "Indianer" and have been picking up likely bits of swag...does that count as being an active cacher?

By the way, otis, you were in my yard awhile back (Tippys), sorry I didn't see you out there or else I'd have come out to say Hi.

I'm on here a lot but I don't say much because I can't think of anything useful or witty to say. :)

That's OK. The dog said hi for you. :)

More Hoosiers post to the Illinoise thread than illinoisians do.

TOP FIVE ILLITERACY RATES BY STATE

Illinois 42.76%

Mississippi 7.04%

Arkansas 3.98 %

Arizona 0.79%

South Carolina 0.77%

Source: 2000 Census

Now wait a minute... I grew up in Indy and I now live north of Chicago... I am stunned by this. I thought for sure Indiana would be much higher :rolleyes:

More Hoosiers post to the Illinoise thread than illinoisians do.

TOP FIVE ILLITERACY RATES BY STATE

Illinois 42.76%

Mississippi 7.04%

Arkansas 3.98 %

Arizona 0.79%

South Carolina 0.77%

Source: 2000 Census

I'm not bragging about it, but this website says Illinois is the 34th-most literate state, a far cry from the least literate state you claim it is.

http://www.morainevalley.edu/Literacy/facts.htm

I'm sorry, but there is NO FREAKING WAY almost half of the population of Illinois can't read. I love how you just claim that your info came from the 2000 census. You don't provide a link or anything to prove it. Next time, try posting facts instead of just random numbers you pulled out of nowhere.

Maybe the reason more Hoosiers have posted to the Illinois thread is because you're all jealous of our state. At least we actually maintain our roads. You'd be hard-pressed to find a pothole on an Interstate in Illinois. Can't say the same for Indiana!

Oooo after last winter, I think you may have to eat your words. Up in Gurnee there are potholes galore.

Growing up in Indy, though, we thought it must be the norm to not plow your roads and to close down your interstates when it snows. I guess that's not the case. Now I make fun of it when I visit.

Don't you hate it when the voice of reason rears its ugly head?

So shall we have a contest for the new thread name?

May I so humbly suggest:

GEOCACHING IN ILLINOISE: BLIND LEADING THE BLIND

That sounds a lot more respectful to me than the "Giant Load of Steaming Crap" the Illinoise cacher suggested...

:blink:

Bringing this back to caching.... We lost a great cache in Champaign last week, GCJN8Y, the Connected Cache. It's temporarily archived, but I drove by there and construction has claimed part of the building that it was 'connected' to, so I'm sure that it's lost. It sat there neglected and probably forgotten by it's owner for about four years while the local geocaching community took care of it. It was inspiring for me to see others fostering this cache. I even got the log out before it disappeared and put a temporary, expendable log in its place. I hope to present the old log to the FTF someday when I meet them.

I rather enjoyed my recent caching run through Illinois. When this thread started no one from Illinois bothered to speak up. So, it took a few people from Indiana to get some responses built up on this thread to get it going. All it takes is for Illinois cachers to help other Illinois cachers by responding to their questions no matter where they live in the state. You may not be able to travel from the North to the South. However, this thread will reach all corners. No need to get upset and nasty.

Hey there. I'm from Indiana, sort of... 8 blocks from the state line. Just wanted to say hi, since I know we'll be caching in Illinois quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Yep..especially when you come to MOOOOONSHINEEEEE!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you there. :-)

Bret

Hey there. I'm from Indiana, sort of... 8 blocks from the state line. Just wanted to say hi, since I know we'll be caching in Illinois quite a bit. :)

Yep..especially when you come to MOOOOONSHINEEEEE!!!!

Looking forward to seeing you there. :-)

Bret

Hee, thanks! It's my husband's birthday, and he said he wanted to do something fun. I think this will qualify! :D

Edited by kitrona

I was running the township truck- my 'other' job (beside's being a Mom) down in the Moonshine area today helping repair roads. Saturday we had some serious flooding- many of us local lifers have never seen water in the amounts like this was. Hopefully we can get all the roads and crossing put back together before the Moonshine event. Seeing all the damage in the southern part of the county was amazing! My work today took me by 7 caches and all their locations appeared to in good condition, too.

Well, this is certainly a day for brain farts. If any of you are in the Marshall area on Wednesday evening around 6pm come out to Mill Creek Park to the Lions Shelter. My friend rockdivas suckered me into helping with our 4-H club's picnic recreation.

Tomorrow after work I am going to go waymark 3 locations for caches that we are filling/placing just for the meeting. Before the meeting I have to enter the 3 sets of coords in 12, yes, 12 units that the local Extension office has borrowed for this. There are two active caches in the Park and no, I'm not exposing them to all these kids. It promises to be fun as long as we don't get rained out. We were asked to explain how GPSrs work and to explain what geocaching and Waymarking is. I added in a list of other stuff that GPS coordinates are used for. I typed up a short and simple page with website info, basic info on caching/Waymarking and other uses for GPS units.

Mill Creek Park in Clark Co is a really nice park! :D We did the "lesson" and I placed 3 containers of varying sizes for the kids to find. We fielded some great questions, the kids were fascinated, and had a great time. We talked about swag and the take something-leave something rule but also told them it that rule was suspended for that night and they all got small squirtguns and baggies with 20 waterballoons- it was a soaker of a 4-H meeting! :o Even tho no other cachers showed up (didn't exactly advertise did we?) we had a great time showing these kids how to use GPSr and finding sneaky cache containers- I didn't go too easy on them.

Mill Creek Park in Clark Co is a really nice park! :D We did the "lesson" and I placed 3 containers of varying sizes for the kids to find. We fielded some great questions, the kids were fascinated, and had a great time. We talked about swag and the take something-leave something rule but also told them it that rule was suspended for that night and they all got small squirtguns and baggies with 20 waterballoons- it was a soaker of a 4-H meeting! :o Even tho no other cachers showed up (didn't exactly advertise did we?) we had a great time showing these kids how to use GPSr and finding sneaky cache containers- I didn't go too easy on them.

Last June I did the same thing with Edgar County 4H. I'm pretty sure I used the same GPS's you got too. It was a lot of fun but, UGH....those kids! It was nice when June was over. :D

Hey bret i been meaning on asking you will t-shirts be available at moonshine or do we need to order in advance?Also being this my first organized event What all can a person expect?I been stocking up on some new coins to trade and some very neat cache containers..(pine cones and such)Will that be permissable as far as trading with other cachers?

We're having an organizational meeting in a week or so (yes...we're trying to be organized) so I'll have a few more details posted about Moonshine then.

As for coin trades - they just sorta happen naturally. It's a good idea though. We might try to give the coin people their own space either at Moonshine or at the Hangover event.

Bret

So how active have we 'Illinoisians" been over the summer so far? Made any cache-specific trips? While working? Visiting relatives? Come on....it's been so quiet out here......

We have only been able to go out twice for one cache each. I almost snagged one last week at work. If I had been a little farther up the truck line I could have walked up to find Whatcho Talkin About Willis?. Regretfully I had to drive on past. Matter of fact I had to drive past 3 that we have not found time to attempt.

I take the GPS with me every day at work. Surely at some point I'll get a chance to add one more to the caching bag belt!

took a nice little drive last weekend up through arcola,illinois and over to kansas and oakland illinois before i finished up in charleston..Found some very neat interesting caches..There is one particular called deep fearfull bowels of the road..I highly suggest everyone try and hunt that cache..Good one for the kids also..

For those who don't know where charleston is just do a search of the 61920 zip code..nice caches in that area..

Ok question what would you do if you were 3 finds from hitting your first 100 finds or 1000th find but you wanted to make your 100th or 1000 a event cache, and that event is still 3 weeks away?Would you keep on hunting or would you try and stop hunting for the remaining 3 weeks?A person wants to make those memorable caches(100 or 1000) one they won't forget..right?

Wait 3 weeks? eeksss... But then for me, none of my 100's have been spectacular, most have turned out to be pine tree micros. What HAS been memorable has been the people I have been with when I make those finds.

#500 was a pine tree micro, but some of the people who were out with me that day were the folks that had hid the very first cache I ever found; the cache that got me hooked. I had hoped to make MWGB my #900, but instead, 900 was a cache that I found while attending MWGB.

I would LIKE to make the Moonshine II my 1k, but if that does not happen, I won't worry as I know I will be with some great folks when I DO hit 1k.

But no, I would not stop caching for 3 weeks. I would go nuts and my friends and family would want to shoot me