Min specs pc to run mapsource

gallet

I've had enough of garmin's (lack of) mac support and need to get a cheap crap PC (if that's not a tautology) that will run mapsource, upload and download maps.

Naturally I'll be expecting bottom level specs for what I am willing to spend. All it needs to do is run mapsource nothing else. I don't mind if it takes a while to chug along as long as it doesn't get ridiculous. My 10m contour maps are 1.3GB.

First question is, is ram important, will 512mb cause me problems? What is the slowest pentium that would not be ridiculously slow.

Are there any 'gotchas' I should be aware of.

edit: just found this for under $200, will this process maps at a reasonable speed?

* 15.4¨ WXGA screen (1280 x 800), with TruBrite

* 1.8 GHz Pentium M 715 CPU (1Mb L2 cache)

* 1Gb DDR PC2700 ram (1x1Gb), expandable to 2Gb.

* 80 GB 4200 rpm HDD (Toshiba MK8025GAS)

* 64Mb DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200

* Intel 2200bg wireless, 100/10 built-in wireless and internal V.92 data/fax modem

* Super-Multi drive (MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ-820S)

* Harmon/Kardon speakers

* Windows XP Home Edition

Edited by gallet

Anything you buy nowadays will be good enough. Minimum RAM required is 32MB, so 512 won't be a problem.

Here are the "official" minimum specs; they're not onerous by any stretch:

IBM-compatible PC running Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system; 32MB RAM minimum; between 300 MB and 1.5GB free hard disk space; CD-ROM drive; available serial port; 256 color display adapter and monitor (24 bit recommended); and mouse or other pointing device; PC Interface cable. Internet access is also recommended to make use of the unlock process.

Edit in response to your edit (we were typing at the same time): If all you need it for is MapSource, that system will be no problems.

Edit #2: I'd just make sure you update to the latest version of MapSource from Garmin after you install.

Edited by dogwalkers2
edit: just found this for under $200, will this process maps at a reasonable speed?

* 15.4¨ WXGA screen (1280 x 800), with TruBrite

* 1.8 GHz Pentium M 715 CPU (1Mb L2 cache)

* 1Gb DDR PC2700 ram (1x1Gb), expandable to 2Gb.

* 80 GB 4200 rpm HDD (Toshiba MK8025GAS)

* 64Mb DDR NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200

* Intel 2200bg wireless, 100/10 built-in wireless and internal V.92 data/fax modem

* Super-Multi drive (MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ-820S)

* Harmon/Kardon speakers

* Windows XP Home Edition

Obviously that's a laptop, where did you find a $200 lappie?

ebay, where else ;¬) it may go for more but the owner doesn't think so. http://tinyurl.com/2v7887 yeah, I did see that it was a mac toshiba laptop but I'll just put that down to the seller not having a clue.
Good Luck!!!

When I bought my first real laptop, I checked ebay for about a month. In the end I abandoned ebay because of the winning bidder phenomenon. In my opinion, people bid irrational amounts in order to win.

I ended up with a new Dell, $500-600, don't exactly remember.

I predict your $200 lappie will be $400-500 when the last second bid is posted, time will tell.

To your OP, get a ~$200 desktop with WinXP. Connect it to your Mac monitor via the second VGA port, or get a USB/VGA switch. That way you can use your USB keyboard/mouse and Mac monitor. Simple switch back and forth.

In June I got a basic Compaq from BB for $200 + S&T. It had Vista Basic. Nice little box. PM me and I'll make you such a deal.

Thanks for the offer mtn hermit but I think the shipping to Australia would be the deal breaker, <chortle>.

I'm on an imac so I can't share the monitor. I considered the desktop option but I think laptop would be more useful. I know what you mean about last second biddding in this case though a lot of people will be put off by this seller. First thing is that he calls his pc a 'toshiba pc ibook mac' has no photos published, won't accept paypal and has not sold anything before and mentions that 'it turns on'. Looks very dodgy and will put most people off, which is why I'll be collecting (and paying) in person.

Edited by gallet
Anything you buy nowadays will be good enough. Minimum RAM required is 32MB, so 512 won't be a problem.

Here are the "official" minimum specs; they're not onerous by any stretch:

IBM-compatible PC running Windows 2000 or Windows XP operating system; 32MB RAM minimum; between 300 MB and 1.5GB free hard disk space; CD-ROM drive; available serial port; 256 color display adapter and monitor (24 bit recommended); and mouse or other pointing device; PC Interface cable. Internet access is also recommended to make use of the unlock process.

Edit in response to your edit (we were typing at the same time): If all you need it for is MapSource, that system will be no problems.

Edit #2: I'd just make sure you update to the latest version of MapSource from Garmin after you install.

That's pretty funny. Just TRY to run XP on 32 MB RAM. It's a total dog with 256MB.

I'm on a G5 imac so that's out, but I did install parallels on a friend's macbookpro and Mapsource and CN loaded up fine but my BC maps kept returning an error message. I tried the CD in other pc's to check in case it was damaged and there were no probs but BC refuses to install in parallels even though CN does. I have no idea why but if truth be told I'm sick trying to work out why, I tried Vista and XP pro with no luck in parallels. Because CN works I persisted with BC but no matter what I do it always aborts the installation with an unknown error.

I'm on a G5 imac so that's out, but I did install parallels on a friend's macbookpro and Mapsource and CN loaded up fine but my BC maps kept returning an error message. I tried the CD in other pc's to check in case it was damaged and there were no probs but BC refuses to install in parallels even though CN does. I have no idea why but if truth be told I'm sick trying to work out why, I tried Vista and XP pro with no luck in parallels. Because CN works I persisted with BC but no matter what I do it always aborts the installation with an unknown error.

Sounds like you've probably decided to just buy a PC, but if you haven't... you could try out emulation software like VirtualPC or Guest PC. I've never used either, just a thought.

Sounds like you've probably decided to just buy a PC, but if you haven't... you could try out emulation software like VirtualPC or Guest PC. I've never used either, just a thought.

I've tried Virtual PC on a G4/500 Dual Processor machine. It's a foul piece of work. I've never gotten a "virtual machine" to talk to any USB peripherals (i.e. Garmin iQue 3600, various Palm devices, etc.) I was never successful getting maps into my iQue via Virtual PC. I could get Mapsource to run, at least, but it was so slow and unreliable that sometimes my machine froze, and other times it ran so slowly that I thought it had frozen. I couldn't get the virtual machine to see my PDA on the USB bus in spite of dogged efforts. I couldn't even get it to recognize a generic card reader. Ultimately I abandoned Garmin because they didn't play nice with Macs.

Now I have an Intel Mac. I find that XP runs well under Parallels. Garmin now plays nice with Macs, and I've just bought a Colorado and a Nuvi. I used Garmin's Windows-based MapConverter program to convert my old maps to Mac-based maps. On the Mac side, I've played with MapInstall, POI Loader, and Bobcat, and though still a little clumsy, they do what they're supposed to. I know this doesn't help someone with a G5. . . . ;)