Think a cache is missing. What do I do?

We hunted the cache on Easter and didn't find it after two hunts in one day. Today we went back and still couldn't find it. Called a friend for a hint and while I'm on the phone one of the kids find an empty black canister on the ground. It's not a typical round style, but more of an oval shape. Think it might be from a Kodak Advantix. We found the canister near a tree that we think the cache was supposed to be in. Found the lid a few feet away.

Do I log another DNF and explain what we found?

Do I file a Need Maintenance note?

Do I e-mail the owner privately and let him know what I found?

We hunted the cache on Easter and didn't find it after two hunts in one day. Today we went back and still couldn't find it. Called a friend for a hint and while I'm on the phone one of the kids find an empty black canister on the ground. It's not a typical round style, but more of an oval shape. Think it might be from a Kodak Advantix. We found the canister near a tree that we think the cache was supposed to be in. Found the lid a few feet away.

Do I log another DNF and explain what we found?

Do I file a Need Maintenance note?

Do I e-mail the owner privately and let him know what I found?

"Another" DNF, meaning that there were previous DNF logs on this cache since it was last found?

If yes, log a Needs Maintenance note.

If no, an email to the owner will likely do fine.

FWIW, I was with a group of about 10 cachers last Saturday caching after an event - we looked EVERYWHERE for that cache for almost thirty minutes - everybody from newbies to very experienced cachers looking - no joy. We decided it had to have been muggled.

Talked to the owner later in the day, she tells me it's a plastic Easter egg in a hole in the roots of a certain tree. I went back and indeed it was right there; right where we'd all called ourselves giving that tree a thourough searching! Every one of us had to have had a hand within inches of it at one point!

At least 5 of us in that group have over 1500 finds apiece.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you!

I've actually had this happen. I logged a DNF and posted that I think I found parts of it muggled. I took pictures of what was there so maybe the owner could identify it. It ended up that it was the cache parts I had found. So I have a DNF :) Its not about the smiles or frowns for me so I was just happy to have enough in my pictures for the owner to go out and get it fixed back up for me to find later :)

A question along the same line....how long does the cache owner have to deal with a cache that hasn't been found and I'm pretty sure isn't there anymore?

The cache is down the street from my house. I posted a note to the cache page about a month ago (I found the cache myself a long time ago) when I saw excavation and construction going on near it. Since then another cacher confirmed the cache spot has been dug up.

I've seen other cache pages where the volunteer has posted a friendly note that the cache owner needs to deal with the problem or archive the cache. How do the volunteers monitor this type of thing? Is it posting the "needs maintenance" somehow a flag to them to check on the cache's status?

I don't wish to overstep as this cache is not mine. And yet at the same time, I'd hate for people to waste their time looking for a cache that isn't there.

A question along the same line....how long does the cache owner have to deal with a cache that hasn't been found and I'm pretty sure isn't there anymore?

The cache is down the street from my house. I posted a note to the cache page about a month ago (I found the cache myself a long time ago) when I saw excavation and construction going on near it. Since then another cacher confirmed the cache spot has been dug up.

I've seen other cache pages where the volunteer has posted a friendly note that the cache owner needs to deal with the problem or archive the cache. How do the volunteers monitor this type of thing? Is it posting the "needs maintenance" somehow a flag to them to check on the cache's status?

I don't wish to overstep as this cache is not mine. And yet at the same time, I'd hate for people to waste their time looking for a cache that isn't there.

If the person isn't maintaining the cache, they aren't maintaining it and it needs to be archived. I'd first post to the owner and if they didn't do anything, I'd probably contact the reviewer that published it (usually the first comment in the logs).

Edited by Carbon_n_kids

As TAR noted, just because you think it's missing doesn't mean that it is. I'll generally go out within a few weeks to check on some DNFs (depending on the cache.) Sometimes it's missing, sometimes not. I just put out a new container at one with a DNF. I couldn't find it. It certainly wasn't where I hid it. Two finds later, the finder noted finding two caches! Oh, well. (Yes. I went back and retrieved the new one.)

Some volunteer reviewers are more proactive than others. But, that's usually with 'temporarily unavailable' caches. "I've noticed that this one has been down for a while. Please maintain the cache. I will check back in a few weeks." Then again, I've seen a DNF "Oops. Dropped it. Sorry about that." go six months before the reviewer stepped in.

How long does the cacher have? Until the volunteer reviewer threatens to archive it.

How sure is 'pretty sure'? You can post 'needs maintenance'. I think reviewers see that. You can contact the reviewer.

But, just because you, and even six of eight other people, cannot find it, that doesn't mean that it isn't there. If the cache owner knows that it's still there, s/he does not have to post a note to that effect.

How do the volunteers monitor this type of thing? Is it posting the "needs maintenance" somehow a flag to them to check on the cache's status?

A "needs archive" note automatically gets CCed to the local reviewer. Maintenance notes don't. Maintenance notes were created to notify the owner (and seekers) that their is an issue with the cache, without escalating it to the point where a reviewers needs to get involved.

Edited by Prime Suspect

As TAR noted, just because you think it's missing doesn't mean that it is. I'll generally go out within a few weeks to check on some DNFs (depending on the cache.) Sometimes it's missing, sometimes not. I just put out a new container at one with a DNF. I couldn't find it. It certainly wasn't where I hid it. Two finds later, the finder noted finding two caches! Oh, well. (Yes. I went back and retrieved the new one.)

Some volunteer reviewers are more proactive than others. But, that's usually with 'temporarily unavailable' caches. "I've noticed that this one has been down for a while. Please maintain the cache. I will check back in a few weeks." Then again, I've seen a DNF "Oops. Dropped it. Sorry about that." go six months before the reviewer stepped in.

How long does the cacher have? Until the volunteer reviewer threatens to archive it.

How sure is 'pretty sure'? You can post 'needs maintenance'. I think reviewers see that. You can contact the reviewer.

But, just because you, and even six of eight other people, cannot find it, that doesn't mean that it isn't there. If the cache owner knows that it's still there, s/he does not have to post a note to that effect.

Yes, I realize that not finding a cache doesn't mean it's missing. But as I said, the place the cache was has clearly been torn up by construction.

Yesterday I read the cache page and 2 more people have stated the same thing. One of them had another cache nearby also destroyed by construction. It's now been communicated (not by me) to the local volunteer, so the issue will be attended to.

I was just wondering about the protocol and how it worked and I appreciate the information provided on this thread for future reference. Thanks. :unsure:

Edited by ThePetersTrio

:unsure: As thar be's sev'r'l nearbouy caches whot 's 'ad no "found it," "tb drop," or "own'rrr's maint'n'nce" notes post'd in ages, sum wiv sev'r'l DNF's ('tho' it seems menny, menny more folks is reluct'nt ta admit they tried 'n' fail'd than actually posts DNFs) yer statement prompts me to voice a question aye've bin pond'rrin' rarth'rrr frequently of late, namely: 'ow the own'rr can "know" the cache is "still there"--wivout goin' out an' checkin' it (er 'avin' sumbuddy whot's foind'd it do so an' rrreport back, as it seems ta me sumbuddy wuz enquoiring about the best way of doing)-- an, 'avin' done so (er 'avin' anoth'rr way o' "knowin" all is well, :huh: ) why (s)he wouldn't post a note ta respond ta fell'rr cach'rrrs' questions and concerrrns, as is the case with sev'ral caches aye've bin watchin? Whoilst "s/he does not have to post a note to that effect" aye wund'rrr whoy an own'rrr wood not wish to ensure all is right with his or her cache, and reassure cachers with an interest in the hides in question that the caches be's reddy an' waitin' fer their visits? :blink::)

the Wench

Edited by Captain No Beard and the Pi Rats

How sure is 'pretty sure'? You can post 'needs maintenance'. I think reviewers see that.

No, they don't, unless they actively look for them. Only SBAs get sent automatically.

Well, you're right, they don't have to, but it's a really good idea to do so. If someone posts a SBA to the cache, and the reviewer sees an unbroken string of DNFs, with no response from the owner, guess what the reviewer is going to assume?

And even if no one posts an SBA, people will look at the log history, make the obvious assumption, and not bother to waste time looking for it.

:blink: As thar be's sev'r'l nearbouy caches whot 's 'ad no "found it," "tb drop," or "own'rrr's maint'n'nce" notes post'd in ages, sum wiv sev'r'l DNF's ('tho' it seems menny, menny more folks is reluct'nt ta admit they tried 'n' fail'd than actually posts DNFs) yer statement prompts me to voice a question aye've bin pond'rrin' rarth'rrr frequently of late, namely: 'ow the own'rr can "know" the cache is "still there"--wivout goin' out an' checkin' it (er 'avin' sumbuddy whot's foind'd it do so an' rrreport back, as it seems ta me sumbuddy wuz enquoiring about the best way of doing)-- an, 'avin' done so (er 'avin' anoth'rr way o' "knowin" all is well, :huh: ) why (s)he wouldn't post a note ta respond ta fell'rr cach'rrrs' questions and concerrrns, as is the case with sev'ral caches aye've bin watchin? Whoilst "s/he does not have to post a note to that effect" aye wund'rrr whoy an own'rrr wood not wish to ensure all is right with his or her cache, and reassure cachers with an interest in the hides in question that the caches be's reddy an' waitin' fer their visits? :):unsure:

the Wench

What?

Edited by hardkoretech

:blink: As thar be's sev'r'l nearbouy caches whot 's 'ad no "found it," "tb drop," or "own'rrr's maint'n'nce" notes post'd in ages, sum wiv sev'r'l DNF's ('tho' it seems menny, menny more folks is reluct'nt ta admit they tried 'n' fail'd than actually posts DNFs) yer statement prompts me to voice a question aye've bin pond'rrin' rarth'rrr frequently of late, namely: 'ow the own'rr can "know" the cache is "still there"--wivout goin' out an' checkin' it (er 'avin' sumbuddy whot's foind'd it do so an' rrreport back, as it seems ta me sumbuddy wuz enquoiring about the best way of doing)-- an, 'avin' done so (er 'avin' anoth'rr way o' "knowin" all is well, :huh: ) why (s)he wouldn't post a note ta respond ta fell'rr cach'rrrs' questions and concerrrns, as is the case with sev'ral caches aye've bin watchin? Whoilst "s/he does not have to post a note to that effect" aye wund'rrr whoy an own'rrr wood not wish to ensure all is right with his or her cache, and reassure cachers with an interest in the hides in question that the caches be's reddy an' waitin' fer their visits? :):unsure:

the Wench

What?

wot ye meen wot??

lard luva dock, ye ne'er spoked poirate beefer??

Oi no me wench mayn't be th' mos' reloyable o' wytnesses on the seen, bot we luvs 'er :blink: an' whot wiv she be'en th' mos' learn'd uv th' crew; that be whoy she do mos' th' postin'...

If'n yer 'avvin trubble hunderstand'n er (gawd nose oi av trubble alls th' toime) jus' read 'er logs 'n' posts aloud, ye'll gettem...

NB

wot ye meen wot??

lard luva dock, ye ne'er spoked poirate beefer??

Oi no me wench mayn't be th' mos' reloyable o' wytnesses on the seen, bot we luvs 'er :unsure: an' whot wiv she be'en th' mos' learn'd uv th' crew; that be whoy she do mos' th' postin'...

If'n yer 'avvin trubble hunderstand'n er (gawd nose oi av trubble alls th' toime) jus' read 'er logs 'n' posts aloud, ye'll gettem...

NB

"spoked poirate beefer" sounds like dinner to me.

You got a recipe?

the Wench

What?

Translation fer lubb'rs: As there are several caches near us that have not had any posts suggesting or confirming that the cache is good to go, many of which have had multiple DNF's over time, including some posts asking the cache owner to check either specific stages of a multi, or the cache itself (which should give owners and potential searchers pause for concern, given the low incidence of DNF logging --as evidenced by many folks' "got it on the Xth visit" when, more often than not, they have not previously posted a DNF or a note on the cache page), the quoted statement that cache owners are not obligated to notify those interested (who may be "watching" their cache, or who may be reading the cache page and previous logs, for the first time) that they "know" the cache is "still there" prompted me to express my skepticism that a responsible cache owner would not check such a cache (or ask someone else to do so) and then post an appropriate reply to previous visitors' questions and/or concerns, confirming their cache is as and where it should be, as well as to question HOW ELSE cache owners can "know" the cache is "still there," retrievable, and in good condition, as well as my frustration that such seems to be increasingly the case in our crew's experience and observation, these days, and hereabouts.

Polly-gize fer the run-on sentence, but Hinglish ain't me furst language, doncha knows? ;-)

As fer dinner: aye suggests we ord'rrr fish 'n' chips 'n' kegsa beer, an' we'll stick 'em on the Cap'n's tab!

Rrrregards,

the Wench

:D AVAST! Bucko,

All good salts knows Septemb'rrrr 19, be's fer lily-liv'rrr'd Lubb'rs: on our ship, EV'RY DAY be's "Talk Loike a Pi Rat Day", er the crew'd gits no grub, clean pantaloons, rum rations, er dingy roides! Hinglish be's a fur'in tongue, whot's spok'd honly when we 'count'rrrs sumbuddy whot's not bin teach'd the prop'rrr way ta speaks, savvy? :lol:

Watch them postings 'n' broadsoides, matey, er it'll be the blarck spot, 'n' a quick splarsh ta Davey Jones' Lock'rrr fer ye! :unsure:

Cheers,

the Wench, fer No Beard 'n' crew

:laughing: AVAST! Bucko,

All good salts knows Septemb'rrrr 19, be's fer lily-liv'rrr'd Lubb'rs: on our ship, EV'RY DAY be's "Talk Loike a Pi Rat Day", er the crew'd gits no grub, clean pantaloons, rum rations, er dingy roides! Hinglish be's a fur'in tongue, whot's spok'd honly when we 'count'rrrs sumbuddy whot's not bin teach'd the prop'rrr way ta speaks, savvy? :laughing:

Watch them postings 'n' broadsoides, matey, er it'll be the blarck spot, 'n' a quick splarsh ta Davey Jones' Lock'rrr fer ye! :laughing:

Cheers,

If you can afford a computer, you can afford a spell checker so that people don't get so confused they just skip you babblings. I have no idea what you've been mumbling about, and don't have the energy to try and find out - maybe in Sept...

Edited by The Jester

All good salts knows Septemb'rrrr 19, be's fer lily-liv'rrr'd Lubb'rs: on our ship, EV'RY DAY be's "Talk Loike a Pi Rat Day", er the crew'd gits no grub, clean pantaloons, rum rations, er dingy roides! Hinglish be's a fur'in tongue, whot's spok'd honly when we 'count'rrrs sumbuddy whot's not bin teach'd the prop'rrr way ta speaks, savvy? :laughing:

Watch them postings 'n' broadsoides, matey, er it'll be the blarck spot, 'n' a quick splarsh ta Davey Jones' Lock'rrr fer ye! :laughing:

Cheers,

If you can afford a computer, you can afford a spell checker so that people don't get so confused they just skip you babblings. I have no idea what you've been mumbling about, and don't have the energy to try and find out - maybe in Sept...

Exactly!

All good salts knows Septemb'rrrr 19, be's fer lily-liv'rrr'd Lubb'rs: on our ship, EV'RY DAY be's "Talk Loike a Pi Rat Day", er the crew'd gits no grub, clean pantaloons, rum rations, er dingy roides! Hinglish be's a fur'in tongue, whot's spok'd honly when we 'count'rrrs sumbuddy whot's not bin teach'd the prop'rrr way ta speaks, savvy? :rolleyes:

Cheers,

:laughing::lol: Sorry ye don' 'preciates me 'um'rrr, any more'n aye 'preciates ye projectin' onta me yer rude himpatience at yer own 'parent hinability ta grarsp the play on wurds aye gits fan mail ov'rrr! Larst toime aye check'd, ye be's perfickly free ta skips anyfing aye wroites, jest as ye dinna 'asta do triksy puzzle caches if'n ye lacks the toime, patience, and/or hability ye needs ta figg'rrr them out, eith'rrr, an' ye needn't wurry yerself about it both'rrrin' me 't all, matey: to each 'is own! :huh:

Lookin' forrrw'rrrd ta seein' the promisin' heffects ye wreck'ns Septemb'rrr'll 'ave on ye, :laughing: meanwhoile, aye wish ye peace, good 'ealth, an' continued good cachin'! ;)

Rrrespectfully,

tW

:laughing::laughing: Sorry ye don' 'preciates me 'um'rrr, any more'n aye 'preciates ye projectin' onta me yer rude himpatience at yer own 'parent hinability ta grarsp the play on wurds aye gits fan mail ov'rrr! Larst toime aye check'd, ye be's perfickly free ta skips anyfing aye wroites, jest as ye dinna 'asta do triksy puzzle caches if'n ye lacks the toime, patience, and/or hability ye needs ta figg'rrr them out, eith'rrr, an' ye needn't wurry yerself about it both'rrrin' me 't all, matey: to each 'is own! :laughing:

Lookin' forrrw'rrrd ta seein' the promisin' heffects ye wreck'ns Septemb'rrr'll 'ave on ye, :laughing: meanwhoile, aye wish ye peace, good 'ealth, an' continued good cachin'! :rolleyes:

Rrrespectfully,

tW

You seriously need to buy a vowel. Actually, a lot of them.