Geocaching is a Blast!

XopherN71

Not sure why I'm posting this or who would be interested in reading it... but here goes.

Brief history:

nüvi 350 sold for a nüvi 360 sold for a nüvi 660, also purchased GPSmap 60CSx.

Current status:

Purchased Colorado 400t plus City Navigator 2008.

nüvi 660 for sale, possibly keeping 60CSx for wife/kids or selling it for a Summit.

I have not yet received the Colorado, so I'm hoping I did the right thing.

Still with me? ;)

Why?!?

Geocaching is a blast!

*Yes, I know I only have a whopping 6 finds as of this post.*

I got all 3 nüvi's before I even knew what geocaching was. In fact I've only known about geocaching for about a month now and already can appreciate paperless caching. If it involves electronic gadgets I pick up on it pretty quick.

After thinking it over I decided the following:

1. Geocaching is a blast!

2. I don't need navigation nearly as much as I thought I did.

3. I can have both in one device.

4. I never used text to speech (found it annoying).

5. Paperless caching = sweet.

I still can't believe I spent $500 to find tupperware in the woods, but it's a LOT cheaper than my previous hobby - customizing trucks. Besides, it's more than that - I've found a way to spend some quality time with our 5 year old daughter, and that my friends is priceless.

I'd be happy to hear your feedback/input/experiences.

Cheers!

c8aa7876-44c5-44d3-a485-ae95876f8f49.jpg

I still can't believe I spent $500 to find tupperware in the woods

HAHAHA I know the feeling!

I'm still very new, with only 2 finds under my belt. All I can say is you speak the truth my friend. I never thought I would have so much fun tromping through the woods looking under rocks and brush or trying to look inconspicuous next to a newspaper bin with my hand running along all the nooks and stuff sticking out.

Welcome to the club.

I have really enjoyed geocaching with my kids and many of their friends. Stick to regular caches if you want to keep your daughter interested. Micro caches are okay, but kids really enjoy poking through the swag in regular caches.

Look through the cache before you give it to your daughter or her friends. It is rare, but you may find inappropriate things in a cache and there is no reason to expose children to that.

Make sure you trade even or up. You want to make it fun for the next finder. Also if you take other kids along, a well stocked swag bag can be a Godsend. If you struck out on finding any caches or all of them were waterlogged and filled with junk, you can let your daughter and her friends choose one thing from your bag o' swag. This can turn a disastrous day into a fun day.

That's all I have for now. Enjoy. ;)

Edited by Trinity's Crew

What. No. Geocaching is lame. Seriously. Why would anyone waste their time and money doing that.

Besides it's littering! That's illegal! You're teaching your kid to participate in illegal activities! Next thing you know they'll be out doing drugs and murdering people!

Better to make them play video games. Like Grand Theft Auto: Vice City. Yeah, and make sure to buy her a gun too. Maybe get her some tattoos.

>.>

.... What? I couldn't just say "yeah, it sure is a hoot."

and in case you hadn't guessed, everything up to the '>.>' was me being entirely sarcastic.

and in case you hadn't guessed, everything up to the '>.>' was me being entirely sarcastic.

I was really starting to wonder about you ;)

Lots of great tips up above too, thank you! Our oldest daughter already said she wants to find bigger ones to there is 'stuff inside'. :) I tried to explain that just finding it was the real reward, but that went over about as well as passing gas in church. :)

Not sure why I'm posting this or who would be interested in reading it... but here goes.

Brief history:

nüvi 350 sold for a nüvi 360 sold for a nüvi 660, also purchased GPSmap 60CSx.

Current status:

Purchased Colorado 400t plus City Navigator 2008.

nüvi 660 for sale, possibly keeping 60CSx for wife/kids or selling it for a Summit.

I have not yet received the Colorado, so I'm hoping I did the right thing.

Still with me? :)

Why?!?

Geocaching is a blast!

*Yes, I know I only have a whopping 6 finds as of this post.*

I got all 3 nüvi's before I even knew what geocaching was. In fact I've only known about geocaching for about a month now and already can appreciate paperless caching. If it involves electronic gadgets I pick up on it pretty quick.

After thinking it over I decided the following:

1. Geocaching is a blast!

2. I don't need navigation nearly as much as I thought I did.

3. I can have both in one device.

4. I never used text to speech (found it annoying).

5. Paperless caching = sweet.

I still can't believe I spent $500 to find tupperware in the woods, but it's a LOT cheaper than my previous hobby - customizing trucks. Besides, it's more than that - I've found a way to spend some quality time with our 5 year old daughter, and that my friends is priceless.

Cheers!

c8aa7876-44c5-44d3-a485-ae95876f8f49.jpg

Nice to read your note. Am a 6 cache find now too. Absolutely love it. Am hooked for good.

My other big hobby is collecting records and haven't bought for a while as have spending money chasing tupperware.

Makes a refreshing change.

Cheers

Cheers!

It cheaper than customizing ar15's too!

Dsc00051.jpg

Edited by gitarmac

Did you say "possibly keeping 60CSx for wife/kids or selling it for a Summit"?

As in the Garmin Summit? I'm curious why you would want to do that?

Personally, I'm thinking of buying my husband a 60 CSx for his birthday, so he'll stop nagging because I use "our" 60CSx --instead of his 60C which he usually uses or my 76CS or one of the two Legends we have.

I might get him a Colorado, but only if all the little bugs get worked out by then--but I'm not sure, the 60CSx is really really that good. I'd hate to have him unhappy even with a new toy.

Because it's less of a loss if it drowns ;)

Well, that's true. But since you already have the 60CSx and you aren't planning to let your wife or child drown anyway, then why go through the extra sale? (plus the 60CSx can take a good submerging anyway! ;) )