Taking Pictures and Logging

So, I see all these great threads with photos folks have taken while out on the hunt and I must say - I'm thoroughly impressed! I love to take pictures to; however, I'm stuck with a cheap lil Vivicam 5160s. So, I guess my question is - what kind of equipment are you all using to take the pictures?

Part of the fun for me is to snap some pictures (kids holding the cache, cache container with my GPS, neat lil things that are closeby) but my pictures never turn out great. I still post them on the log just for fun. I enjoy seeing the pictures in logs too but it doesn't seem to be the "norm" in this area. Are there more photos on cache logs in your region? I would love to get pictures of folks getting into my caches, but I'm afraid that since its not the norm, its not something I'm gonna get the pleasure of seeing.

So, I see all these great threads with photos folks have taken while out on the hunt and I must say - I'm thoroughly impressed! I love to take pictures to; however, I'm stuck with a cheap lil Vivicam 5160s. So, I guess my question is - what kind of equipment are you all using to take the pictures?

Part of the fun for me is to snap some pictures (kids holding the cache, cache container with my GPS, neat lil things that are closeby) but my pictures never turn out great. I still post them on the log just for fun. I enjoy seeing the pictures in logs too but it doesn't seem to be the "norm" in this area. Are there more photos on cache logs in your region? I would love to get pictures of folks getting into my caches, but I'm afraid that since its not the norm, its not something I'm gonna get the pleasure of seeing.

Quite frankly, the more cool and challenging or fun the cache is, the more likely pictures will be posted.

I usually carry two cameras.. a cheap little digital point and shoot, and my prosumer style Canon G6 digital. Very sweet camera without going to DSLR.

Canon Powershot A540. See briansnat's post, pretty much the same applies. I've only had this for a year, so most of my posted pics are with my Nikon N65, a bulky film SLR that was nice when I got it but now sits in the closet in favor of the convenience of digital. Or else my dad took them with whatever he has.

And ditto bflentje. Caches in a cool spot and/or with cool spots en route will have bigger galleries.

A few months back, Snoogans suggested adding a section to cache pages for a featured photo to encourage the posting of photos. I've done it on mine, posting my favorite photo from the past 30 days. Sadly, my caches get few visitors, I guess because they're moderate hikes for this area, so it doesn't get updated very often.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I've been putting off the move to digital for years, wanting to get a DSLR that could accomodate all the lenses I have already for my Pentax, but with the cost of processing I've even closeted the film camera, so was photoless for ages. I recently got interested in a game called Shutterspot (at GPSgames.org) and was unable to do anything with the cheapy digital I had gotten for snapshots, so without any research I ran to Target one night and grabbed a Sony DSC-W55 (well under $200 now) and was thrilled to learn later that this model has a 2cm macro setting (I can be less than an inch from the subject, and that's what I've always loved in photography). Then I realized, for half the price of what I wanted in a DSLR I can nearly get all the versatility by choosing 2-3 different $200 cameras (one for Macro, one for Tele, etc.)

As for the "grab a shot" and it doesn't come out well...at the end of a day I often have 100-250 shots and pick the ones that are best.

Some of the simplest tricks for better shots...

Take more and choose the best at home,

Change your perspective...Many of mine were taken on knees and elbows.

I must look really crazy laying on the pavement with my head stuck in a bush at an LPC, but I got a good shot!(the mushroom, and I gave up on that stupid Cache, I got what I wanted)

As for the "grab a shot" and it doesn't come out well...at the end of a day I often have 100-250 shots and pick the ones that are best.

And that's why the film camera is in the closet. I have five or six impressive shots of the recent lunar eclipse. I also have about sixty cruddy ones that no one will ever see. ;)

On the other hand, while taking those cruddy shots, I was practicing with aperture, shutter, and ISO, so that next time, it will only be 20 cruddy ones. Digital lets you look good by letting chuck your bad shots, but it also makes it infinitely easier to learn what's effective and actually become good.

As for tips: tripod. If you don't have one, try to set the camera on something stable. If you're forced to hold it for the shot, don't hold it out at arm's length, looking at the display from afar -- any jitter will be amplified. Do whatever you can to keep the camera stable. When possible, I like to use the timer so that I'm not pressing the button at the moment the shot is taken.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I googled the Vivicam and it seems to be a fine camera.

Miniature cameras aren't the greatest, but they can take very good pictures (sometimes). I have had several and I have gotten some good pics, some gr8 pics, and a LOT of "eh" pics. A lot of my problems with the minis are caused by camera shake because the cameras automatically adjust to a very slow shutter speed. Being careful to hold the camera as steady as you can and using the flash in even moderately low light conditions helps.

I ALWAYS have a camera (or two or three) with me. I have the ubiquitous cellphone camera (Motorola Q9H) for when my other cameras are broke, dead, or forgotten (since the cellphone cameras are without a doubt the WORST choice for photography available)

I always carry a Samsung L73 miniature camera which has a "program" function allowing me to optionally set a lot of parameters, but "shutter speed preferred" is not one of them.

These two are for incidental pictures and CYA documentation.

When I think I might get in a position for some more serious photo-ops, i use a Panasonic Lumix FZ8 which is an "almost an SLR" type and has total manual control plus Aperture preferred and Shutter preferred functions. I even use this one on a tripod to take close-up digital zoom pictures of tower hardware at 400+ feet up on towers to analyze antenna problems... amazing detail on clear days.

One of these days, I'm gonna get me a cool DSLR. But then I'll have to hide it from Murasaki. ;)

And that's why the film camera is in the closet. I have five or six impressive shots of the recent lunar eclipse. I also have about sixty cruddy ones that no one will ever see. ;)

On the other hand, while taking those cruddy shots, I was practicing with aperture, shutter, and ISO, so that next time, it will only be 20 cruddy ones. Digital lets you look good by letting chuck your bad shots, but it also makes it infinitely easier to learn what's effective and actually become good.

As for tips: tripod. If you don't have one, try to set the camera on something stable. If you're forced to hold it for the shot, don't hold it out at arm's length, looking at the display from afar -- any jitter will be amplified. Do whatever you can to keep the camera stable. When possible, I like to use the timer so that I'm not pressing the button at the moment the shot is taken.

Yes, Yes, good tips. the small tripods can stay attached to the camera all the time and just go in the pack as they are. With my close ups many times I hold the camera tightly against a rosk or tree to minimize movement, or place my hands in such a manner to act as a tripod. with the macro even movement of a milimeter when pressing tghe button can cause the intended portion of the image to be out of focus (and those are the ones you won't see). Maybe a thread of the worst shots is in order? Then again maybe not!

I googled the Vivicam and it seems to be a fine camera.

Miniature cameras aren't the greatest, but they can take very good pictures (sometimes). I have had several and I have gotten some good pics, some gr8 pics, and a LOT of "eh" pics. A lot of my problems with the minis are caused by camera shake because the cameras automatically adjust to a very slow shutter speed. Being careful to hold the camera as steady as you can and using the flash in even moderately low light conditions helps.

I ALWAYS have a camera (or two or three) with me. I have the ubiquitous cellphone camera (Motorola Q9H) for when my other cameras are broke, dead, or forgotten (since the cellphone cameras are without a doubt the WORST choice for photography available)

I always carry a Samsung L73 miniature camera which has a "program" function allowing me to optionally set a lot of parameters, but "shutter speed preferred" is not one of them.

These two are for incidental pictures and CYA documentation.

When I think I might get in a position for some more serious photo-ops, i use a Panasonic Lumix FZ8 which is an "almost an SLR" type and has total manual control plus Aperture preferred and Shutter preferred functions. I even use this one on a tripod to take close-up digital zoom pictures of tower hardware at 400+ feet up on towers to analyze antenna problems... amazing detail on clear days.

One of these days, I'm gonna get me a cool DSLR. But then I'll have to hide it from Murasaki. ;)

In the Big Truck, many drivers keep a pair of binoculars to read signs that are far away from the road(when you'ree stopped and tooking for an address or such) one day I couldn't find mine, so I grabbed the camera and used the digital zoom to it's fullest to read an address.

Canon Powershot A570. I like that it gives me the choice of manual controls, aperture and shutter priority. You generally don't get that in cameras in that price range.

I carry my A620 in my bag with my other caching gear. Other posters are right... its nice to have versatility of manual or automatic. A suggestion I have in the outdoors is try two pictures (at least), one using the cameras normal setting, and one with a "forced flash". It may seem silly using a flash on a bright summer day, but photographer's call it "fill flash". It helps fill in any dark spots caused by bad lighting i.e. the sun close to being behind the subject, or places such as woods where trees cause some stuff to be brightly lit, while other spots are in shadow due to trunks, etc.

Unless you are out in the dark, you generally dont need the tripod with you. Even in poor light you should be able to support the camera on a nearby branch, rock, etc. Like when you are shooting a gun, take a breath, push the button until it prefocuses, let half the breath out and hold...then push the button to take the picture. That way you're not adding extra motion to the camera.

Get one with a good zoom. The A620 has 7 megapixels... but only a 4x optical zoom (ignore advertisements like 100x digital zoom. Optical is the only thing that counts).

If I was buying today, Id probably get the canon S5 IS (or is the s6 out yet?) Its around 300 bucks, and one of the better ones without making the jump to Digital SLR.

In my bag all the time... Nikon Coolpix S50 (credit card sized) and when going somewhere especially nice, my Nikon D100 (and two or three heavy lenses).

I worked in Professional Photofinishing for over 10 years... not in your average 1 hour photo... we were printing art prints for the Smithsonian, large scale ads for billboards and I also handled a huge amount of the Lucasfilm movie stills and behind-the-scenes pics that they used for promotion (fun stuff)!

I'm pretty picky about my gear, and I'm a huge fan of the Nikon optics. I have been mulling around the idea of upgrading my D100 to a D200. New toys are always fun.

DCC

Wow - ok, so I'm definitely taking in this information. I can see quickly that photography is quickly becoming a part of my cache experience (and I never intended it to).

What happened was that I got my 10 year award from my work (which canned me a year later, go figure) so my lil Vivicam was free. I never had a digital camera before last year. So, getting back into caching, I thought - ohhhh how about I take this lil vivi along and just grab some quick shots of the kids and caches.. nothing serious...... since starting doing that - I LOVE taking pictures but I often get frustrated that over 99% of the shots are crappeh LOL This is one I took one of a burned out stump yesterday and it looks ok, its just not as crisp as I'd like.

burnedstump2.jpg

A few other photo tips I know (I'm by no means an expert, I've just picked up a few things here and there):

When framing your shot, try using the Golden Rectangle. You can look up the technical definition, but very roughly, it means breaking the frame into thirds. There's something about this ratio that is naturally pleasing to our eyes. Write Shop Robert's shots in the macro thread demonstrate this. In the first picture, notice how the right 1/3 of the picture is taken up by the water spout while the rest is background*. Similarly, the center of the orange flower, and the dark center of the knot. Try cropping the knot picture so that the knot is in the center and you'll see that it becomes much less eye-catching.

Another thing is that diagonal lines can make a picture more interesting. Again, look at the macro thread and see WSR's feather, BC & MsKitty's blade of grass, and my butterfly on a lilac (which I have to admit wasn't intentional). Try imagine these with the lines horizontal and vertical and you'll see again what a difference it makes.

*edit: oops, when I was looking at that picture, I was only seeing the top portion. While it's in thirds, it's the long way, so it's not a Golden Rectangle. However, if you draw a horizontal line through the top of the greenery in the background, you have a pretty good one.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Thinking about the Golden Ratio got me curious, and I went in and found the actual Golden Ratio sections in WSR's spout photo. Check it out:

2367181498_5d4aeca3d2.jpg

Nicely done, WSR!

Divide a rectangle by the Golden Ratio (1:1.618) and you get a large and a small rectangle (if the original rectangle is a Golden Rectangle, then you get a perfect square and another Golden Rectangle. That's not quite the case here but it's close). If you keep applying the ratio to the small rectangle, you see what happens. You get nearly perfect divisions at the top of the bush, the outer edge of the water, the bottom of the spout, and the inner edge of the water.

But as I said originally, thirds gets you pretty close. Don't try to do all the math in the field.

Edited by Dinoprophet

After losing my faithful Canon Digital Elph at a cache last year, I finally found the perfect caching camera. For Christmas my wife got me an Olympus Stylus 770SW. It is shockproff, dustproof and waterproof to 32 feet. Since I got it I have carried it kayaking, swimming and rapelling. I have dropped it a couple of times and subjected it to conditions I would not have dreamed of carrying a camera in and it keeps making great shots. Check out my gallery for examples of the shots it takes.

it may seem silly using a flash on a bright summer day, but photographer's call it "fill flash".

I learned long ago that using a flash on a bright, summer day is mandatory for anything fairly close up. With landscapes, or shots from a distance, it's just a waste of battery juice, but if you are photographing nearly anything in the sun that is within flash range, you should have it on (unless you are using shadows for

artistic effect).

I am in LOVE with my new Panasonic FZ18. That stands for Freeky Zoom 18X optical. Yowza! Not quite small enough for a pocket. Panasopnic makes others that are mega-zoom in small bodies. I owmed their TZ1 til I fell and smashed it in my coat pocket, so maybe pocket size is not so great after all!

Anyway, I get amazing wildlife pics, everything from 28mm to 506mmzoom in a single lens. With an LSR, I never seemed to have the right lens at the right time, or would miss a shot for changing lenses. Plus, all that gear is heavy and cumbersome. But this little camera is astonishing.

One other valuable tip:

www.picasa.com

a free photo editor from Google that will fix those fuzzy dar shots. It fun and easy to use. I have used a half a dozen different photo editing programs, including the cumbersom unfrielndly PhotoShop, but Picasa is hands down my favorite.

Check my recent gallery to see what this little camera can do. Everything in the last 2 months is from the FZ18. Everything in the previous year is the Panasonic TZ1,

I'm a recent Panasonic convert too, having bought a FZ8 last year. The Leica optics are great and this camera does everything I need and more. I still haven't worked out what all the functions do.

Regarding stability, I carry a Leki walking pole with a camera mount on it. Kills 2 birds with one stone and very lightweight.

Thinking about the Golden Ratio got me curious, and I went in and found the actual Golden Ratio sections in WSR's spout photo. Check it out:

Nicely done, WSR!

Divide a rectangle by the Golden Ratio (1:1.618) and you get a large and a small rectangle (if the original rectangle is a Golden Rectangle, then you get a perfect square and another Golden Rectangle. That's not quite the case here but it's close). If you keep applying the ratio to the small rectangle, you see what happens. You get nearly perfect divisions at the top of the bush, the outer edge of the water, the bottom of the spout, and the inner edge of the water.

But as I said originally, thirds gets you pretty close. Don't try to do all the math in the field.

Thanks for the compliments. Here's something you won't usually see from a photographer...the Crap I Cropped the shot from:

This shot...

bd895499-c742-4862-8a53-4f2a9dfa26e2.jpg

Was Cropped from This Crap...

b8738d21-fab7-448a-b5a3-4fb4e564bfa9.jpg

Don't be afraid to crop your images to get what you want out of them (cut away the parts you don't want).

Sometimes you'll have to get some things in a shot (in the field) that you don't want and there's no other way around it.

Aside from all the very technical parts, you'll need to start with a camera that will give you a decent image quality. The bigest problem with a very cheap D camera is the quality of the lense which will prevent you from ever getting a high quality image. You need to start with the best image you can get as the website will degrade it somewhat when you upload it. To help avoid that, resize the image to fit the website limits before you upload it.

I am in LOVE with my new Panasonic FZ18. That stands for Freeky Zoom 18X optical. Yowza! Not quite small enough for a pocket. Panasopnic makes others that are mega-zoom in small bodies. I owmed their TZ1 til I fell and smashed it in my coat pocket, so maybe pocket size is not so great after all!

Anyway, I get amazing wildlife pics, everything from 28mm to 506mmzoom in a single lens. With an LSR, I never seemed to have the right lens at the right time, or would miss a shot for changing lenses. Plus, all that gear is heavy and cumbersome. But this little camera is astonishing.

One other valuable tip:

www.picasa.com

a free photo editor from Google that will fix those fuzzy dar shots. It fun and easy to use. I have used a half a dozen different photo editing programs, including the cumbersom unfrielndly PhotoShop, but Picasa is hands down my favorite.

Check my recent gallery to see what this little camera can do. Everything in the last 2 months is from the FZ18. Everything in the previous year is the Panasonic TZ1,

I looked at some of your pics, and I took the liberty to save and edit one to show the value of cropping again, I hope you don't mind...

This image...

779f2e1d-32b5-492c-95bb-0a0342d0de04.jpg

and This one...

221bd98c-d708-4956-a968-5da7706da3ae.jpg

or This one...

87633e49-34d2-4626-9d55-7f9539726d6f.jpg

Came from this larger image, thanks 2qwerqE...

50cd731e-4341-4967-b689-fccdd5822018.jpg

Those aren't my images, just another example of cropping what you want to get from a larger image.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Sometimes your local camera shop will offer free classes. You should probably start there. Learning how to take a photo is just as important as the camera.

Personally, I use three different cameras depending on the type of caching:

A. Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm zoom, 70-300mm zoom (DSLR)

B. HP PhotoSmart C618 (digital point-n-shoot)

C. LG Wave (cellular phone)

Good luck with your shooting!

Edited by Team LaLonde

Here's what kind of result you can get when you just snap a quick shot...I had zoomed in a little, and had no stabilization for the first shot. When I moved in a little for more, he jumped about 14 inches away into the leaf litter, never to be seen again.

017476a2-2acf-4a18-8826-adc6e959b0fd.jpg

I'm very happy with the composition, but would have needed a better crack at it to get a good final image. I don't use the flash in the daytime, would that have removed the shadows from his face?...and maybe blinded him long enough for me to get closer...

Mostly because i did not want to spend money on a camera i had a few things i looked for when we were buying one. 3x optical, SD card expandability, and 5MP minimum. I ended up with an HP for $75. It took great pictures. I really, really liked it.

I had it in a soft hip case while working on a bike before a bike ride I rolled on a rock and broke the screen. It still works, you just cant see what you are taking a picture of. I let my son use it on our recent 3 day trip. He took 660 pictures or videos. Some of them turned out really well.

I like the camera so much i bought the same model on eBay for $45. Before that i tried a new Kodak. I absolutely hated it. It had a nice big screen, but the pictures were garbage.

I am partial to HP as i have had two good digital cameras from them over the years. I wish i had a better zoom though.

Nicely done, WSR!

I just uploaded this...

0e414f6f-3a1e-4dc3-a798-00143f7fdede.jpg

for another game I'm playing (at GPSgames.org)

and when I started to look at it again I thought about your post about the rule of thirds, and using angles...How do you like this one? I just wish those weeds were some poppys and that third would be even better. Going along with the rule of "Thirds", I'll also mention the rule of "Three", which is a little different, in that it means that (say in a photo of a cluster of flowers, people, etc.,) three would usually be better than say two or four.

When I'm thinking of the rule of thirds, I don't try to break down all the technicalities, but just try to place a point of interest near one of the intersections of the lines on the one third points. This one ends up with three that are fairly close. I just looked through the 6 different shots I took of this subject and this is the one that happened to look best to my eye.

390a86c0-922e-435d-9cb7-886122ecc55e.jpg

BTW, my intended subject in this shot is the number 63

I'm starting to really like this discussion, it's making me think more about anlyzing my images. If those weeds were not there, the weight would all be on one side(bad result), if they were a bright poppy plant, the eye would be drawn there and the angle of the pavemevt would clash with that.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Been using a Kodak EasyShareDX6490 for a few years and it just wasn't cutting it even though it was 4.0 megapixel with a 10X OPTICAL zoom so I ended up with a SonyCyber-shot DSC-W80 7.2 Megapixel, 3x optical zoom and that anti-shake stabilzer technology and it fits nicely in the cachebag! Only problem I have found so far is the battery actually drains while plugged into the USB on the computer. Only charges from an external charger...bummer!

With me, it depends on the day and where we're going. If it's just doing some small caches and all, I bring my Canon SD750, which is usually in my pocket anyway. Works well, big screen and does what I need it to do.

If we're hiking, going to see good stuff, I carry the real gear -- Canon 30D, all the lenses and all that good stuff. I do some professional photography on the side, so I already have invested in this stuff -- but now I get to use it on these trails, too. :unsure: (Though it's been a bit cold and snowy to log this stuff around so far).

I think there should be a site that lists cachers that frequently add photos to sites and T.B. sites. They are more fun to watch and track when photos are added. Some folks get nominated for creative caches. We should have a list for creative photographers.

I am using a Canon Powershot A640 mostly, 7.1 MP. I also have a Fujifilm Finepix A610, 6.3 MP. It is smaller and easier to carry. Both take great shots. Up until about 2 years ago I had a Nikon Coolpix 990 swivel camera, but it lost about 6 or 7 pixels over time and I had to retouch every photo I wanted to reproduce.

I am thinking about one of the Sony Cyber-shot 8.1 MP cameras for the Carl Zeiss lens though. It also gives a 15x optical zoom and image stabilization to boot.

I am using a Canon Ixus 700 and am very happy with it. It is a really "draw and shoot" camera. I carry it on my belt in a case that has a velcro slip. So i can draw it very fast. It starts up very fast and doesnt need special setting before making the pics. Every day that I spend caching i shoot more then 100 pics. There not all good, but it has the benefit that I can choose the best to post in my logs. I think the owners of caches like people to post pics in their logs (no spoilers).

I am using a Canon Powershot A640 mostly, 7.1 MP. I also have a Fujifilm Finepix A610, 6.3 MP. It is smaller and easier to carry. Both take great shots. Up until about 2 years ago I had a Nikon Coolpix 990 swivel camera, but it lost about 6 or 7 pixels over time and I had to retouch every photo I wanted to reproduce.

I am thinking about one of the Sony Cyber-shot 8.1 MP cameras for the Carl Zeiss lens though. It also gives a 15x optical zoom and image stabilization to boot.

I'm pretty sure the next one I get will be a DVideo camera, sony has one with 40x optical zoom, but I don't know how the stills will be.