Rubber Stamps for Signatures

swaninwa

Some of the cachers around our area use small rubber stamps for signatures and I was kind of liking that idea. If you use a stamp, where did you have it made, and what size is it? Was it expensive? Is it self-inking or do you carry a small stamp pad? Any other comments or suggestions? Thanks!

;)

I think mine from the UPS store was about 8 bucks or so (four years ago or so though). Self inking is the way to go. And the smaller the better, by the way. It takes up less room in the logbook. Mine is about 2" x 3/4" and to me is too big unless it is a big logbook.

a1e81f21-837c-4fa7-9ad2-b5a2af05e930.jpg

Edited by mtn-man

Hate 'em. Usually take up too much room. Often bleed through the page. And if the ink gets the least bit damp (say the next cacher is signing in the rain, or the humidity is extremely high) they run all over the place.

Just my opinion and I seem to be in the minority. Oh well.

I have two stamps, one is a jester that is about 2-2.5 inches tall, the other is the same stamp only cut off all but the face/hat.

And if the ink gets the least bit damp (say the next cacher is signing in the rain, or the humidity is extremely high) they run all over the place.

At least in my case, that's not true. I use a waterproof ink so it won't run.

Besides, for running, stamps aren't the only problem ink, I've seen many a pen used that wash away in the wet.

I have two stamps, one is a jester that is about 2-2.5 inches tall, the other is the same stamp only cut off all but the face/hat.

And if the ink gets the least bit damp (say the next cacher is signing in the rain, or the humidity is extremely high) they run all over the place.

Besides, for running, stamps aren't the only problem ink, I've seen many a pen used that wash away in the wet.

Where did you get your stamps Jester? (and ink?)

Where did you get your stamps Jester? (and ink?)

I got them at Impress, a small, local store (3 locations, Seattle, Tukwila, Bellevue). The brand of ink I use is StazOn - I've seen this in many stamp shops.

Yes, many inks do run. It just seems that most times the stamps run worse and end up all over the place. Most ball points just smear a bit. The marker type pens are as bad or worse than stamps. If everyone used waterproof ink it would ease the problem considerably. Still leaves 'em too big. Not a problem on a nice large log book, but can be trouble on those @#$% micros. ;)

Yes, many inks do run. It just seems that most times the stamps run worse and end up all over the place. Most ball points just smear a bit. The marker type pens are as bad or worse than stamps. If everyone used waterproof ink it would ease the problem considerably. Still leaves 'em too big. Not a problem on a nice large log book, but can be trouble on those @#$% micros. ;)

there are pros and cons, my stamps have permanent ink, even with a wet finger they will hardly ever smear, but much depends on paper as well.

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

If someone asks nice, I'm sure a fellow cacher will make you one. They are pretty easily done for anyone with a laser engraver. I'd volunteer, but ours is down for repair for at least a week or so awaiting a new board.

I think CR has one. I'm sure that you could work something out with him.

Edited by sbell111

To me, cards are too big most of the time and unless you staple it in, it just falls out of the logbook. I do like finding them in caches personally (and even collect some from people I know), but they do not work for signing the logbook. Stickers sometimes shrink a bit over time and will curl the logbook pages they are attached to.

To me, cards are too big most of the time and unless you staple it in, it just falls out of the logbook. I do like finding them in caches personally (and even collect some from people I know), but they do not work for signing the logbook. Stickers sometimes shrink a bit over time and will curl the logbook pages they are attached to.

Very true!

So you reccomend stamps then?

Lately, I am simply just signing and not using a stamp. My old stamp is pretty big (about the size of a PDA), but the one linked above looks like it might fit in your pocket. If I got one of those, I might use a stamp more. Even when I used my stamp, I still dated the log and wrote a few lines for what I took or left. I don't see them as a substitute for signing the logbook with a pen totally, but more of an personalized enhancement. That is my personal opinion though.

You can see mine at the top of this topic and how I normally sign a logbook if I have used the stamp. My stamp was a custom made stamp using my particular "handwriting" font I like with the smiley and dog paw added to the artwork. I sent the stamp maker a jpg file and they sent me a personalized stamp.

minnesotabrad showed that a stamp can help someone who might have trouble signing.

Edited by mtn-man

I carved a stamp to use for shrinky dink sig items, I haven't made too many though, and the stamp is pretty big to carry around while caching (my letterboxing stamp is pretty big too and I find some logbooks are too small :)) Maybe I'll make a smaller one to carry around with me geocaching... I need to think of a design :)