Power trails vs. High Gas Prices

rnrgrl

Instead of getting Jeep's and other 4x4, buy a little honda - much better on gas mileage, means you spend less on gas and more time and radius caching.
I'd rather stick with a vehicle that's survivable. Thanks.

HAHAHAHA!! That made me laugh out loud! In no way am I trying to sound rude but if you knew about my honda those words would never cross your lips.

I was raised by a great mechanic and he always taught me that fords and foriegns were inferiour, he worked on everything and knew what broke down the fastest and was hardest or most expensive to fix. So I never wanted a foriegn car, till my best friend wrecked his current car (with me in it) and had to buy a new one, he bought the 91 Honda prelude used from the previous owner.

My friend, Brian, is known for killing cars, not just running them till they die of exhaustion but wrapping them around poles, around other cars, off roading them till they flew or flipped, etc. This is the guy that when the inserstate is backed up he speeds past you about 70 mph on the sholder, he passes in the no passing zone even though you are already going 15 over the speed limit. Somewhere around I have pictures of him in his bronco where he was off roading and slipped into a ditch and flipped the car and had to slide out the window. Theres another pickup that he and my husband were making fly out in the woods and at one point when it came down caused an arc on the battery and there is now a couple small holes where the arc melted the metel hood.

This guy has never used a car as his own and had it survive to be sold later except this 91 Honda Prelude. He drove that car for years then sold it to my husband and I and it still worked fine.

While Brian still had the prelude he took it off roading in the woods many times (theres a scrape along one side where he squezed between two trees that were too close) he has wrecked it into hills and ditches, he has complained to the company that the cruise control stops working after you excede 116mph, he tried to cross the creek and got flooded (its a major low rider) towed it out let it dry and kept going, he has put many, many miles on it, driven it like all the others with the intent to die yet it survived him.

If a Honda can survive Brian then a honda can survive nearly anything.

The car is currently with our mechanic getting something replaced, its been down for a while because we didn't have the money to get the problem fixed. Now that it will be fixed soon we are chomping at the bit to get it done, the great gas milage, the speed, the ability to go just about anywhere do just about anything and the sucker keep right on ticking.

I'll take my Honda over many, many cars out there!

I've had a few Hondas (mostly Civics and an Accord) There were few places I wouldn't take them and few things they couldn't take.

And for those who PM's me saying the honda's arent "amreican" enough - i used to buy american brand cars like it was a religious thing.

Many Hondas are made in the US. Your "American" car quite possibly was made in Mexico or Canada

Edited by briansnat

I don't like civics and accords as much as preludes, I guess mainly because a prelude is intended for speed and aerodynamics whereas civics and accords tend to be more of a "family" or "my first car" type vehicle.

Brian used to be on the Honda forums, all honda drivers and Honda lovers and he'd tell them about what he recently did with his vehicle and would leave everybody with a WTF. He never found another person willing to take their Honda off roading but he did it to his often.

I've had a few Hondas (mostly Civics and an Accord) There were few places I wouldn't take them and few things they couldn't take.

And for those who PM's me saying the honda's arent "amreican" enough - i used to buy american brand cars like it was a religious thing.

Many Hondas are made in the US. Your "American" car quite possibly was made in Mexico or Canada

My wife would kill me if she saw where I took our Honda while caching. I can blame it on the GPS because it routed me down this steep dirt road and across a creek (where I stopped and got a cache :huh: ). I made it through all of that and then ran into some really deep ruts. Of course I kept going because I didn't want to go back and I figured there would only be a couple of deep ruts.... Wrong! I bottomed it out about 3 times (being careful) and I got some pinstripes from a narrow stretch (which I later blamed on the kids :) ). Anyhow, I learned my lesson and now I always take my gas-hog Durango. My Honda was made in Tennessee. I think some people also forget that most of the parts come from somewhere else in the world and that we live in a global economy these days. The bottomline is that I'm going to buy a reliable proven car that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to repair. You don't want to break down while out caching! :unsure::blink:

... I am thinking about doing this hike in the next few weeks - before the weather gets too hot - and have been considering leaving a cut and paste log for each cache "Thanks for all the caches showing the way to God's Eye View. They have changed the experience of doing this cache and not everyone thinks for the better."

So, you could still have the same experience if you decided not to hunt the newer caches (which, according to the logs are actually being enjoyed by many people), but instead you're choosing the "changed but not for the better" experience in order to scold people for doing something that's well within the guidlines but you personally don't care for? Have you ever heard the expression "you cut off your nose to spite your face"?

And what about the people who decide to go for God's Eye View, but overestimate their own capabilities and realize halfway up that they just can't make it this time? Now they don't have to feel that the trip was a total wash, and can still go away with a positive memory which just might be the deciding factor in whether or not they try it again.

Instead of getting Jeep's and other 4x4, buy a little honda - much better on gas mileage, means you spend less on gas and more time and radius caching.
I'd rather stick with a vehicle that's survivable. Thanks.
HAHAHAHA!! That made me laugh out loud! In no way am I trying to sound rude but if you knew about my honda those words would never cross your lips.

I was raised by a great mechanic and he always taught me that fords and foriegns were inferiour, he worked on everything and knew what broke down the fastest and was hardest or most expensive to fix. So I never wanted a foriegn car, till my best friend wrecked his current car (with me in it) and had to buy a new one, he bought the 91 Honda prelude used from the previous owner.

My friend, Brian, is known for killing cars, not just running them till they die of exhaustion but wrapping them around poles, around other cars, off roading them till they flew or flipped, etc. This is the guy that when the inserstate is backed up he speeds past you about 70 mph on the sholder, he passes in the no passing zone even though you are already going 15 over the speed limit. Somewhere around I have pictures of him in his bronco where he was off roading and slipped into a ditch and flipped the car and had to slide out the window. Theres another pickup that he and my husband were making fly out in the woods and at one point when it came down caused an arc on the battery and there is now a couple small holes where the arc melted the metel hood.

This guy has never used a car as his own and had it survive to be sold later except this 91 Honda Prelude. He drove that car for years then sold it to my husband and I and it still worked fine.

While Brian still had the prelude he took it off roading in the woods many times (theres a scrape along one side where he squezed between two trees that were too close) he has wrecked it into hills and ditches, he has complained to the company that the cruise control stops working after you excede 116mph, he tried to cross the creek and got flooded (its a major low rider) towed it out let it dry and kept going, he has put many, many miles on it, driven it like all the others with the intent to die yet it survived him.

The car is currently with our mechanic getting something replaced, its been down for a while because we didn't have the money to get the problem fixed. Now that it will be fixed soon we are chomping at the bit to get it done, the great gas milage, the speed, the ability to go just about anywhere do just about anything and the sucker keep right on ticking.

I'll take my Honda over many, many cars out there!

Clearly your friend abuses his cars, but I don't see that any of his has had to protect him like my (former) WJ protected me. I'll keep the Jeep.
This is the guy that when the inserstate is backed up he speeds past you about 70 mph on the sholder,
Assuming that he didn't meet up with a full-sized pickup coming at him at 70 mph, this doesn't compare. Edited by sbell111

Clearly your friend abuses his cars, but I don't see that any of his has had to protect him like my (former) WJ protected me. I'll keep the Jeep.

Risking being severely off-topic, I agree that Jeeps are probably among the toughest vehicles around. I have never torn one bumper off any of the many I have pulled out of ditches or out of a trail with my Tacoma.

Back OT, many have mentioned someone not being able to hike to the cache as a reason for the allowance of power trails. If you read the OP, it was not the walk of a few miles, but the fact that there were not multiple opportunities for a smiley, which is all power trails would facilitate.

Gas prices affect on the geocaching experience will not be lessened by power trails.

Back OT, many have mentioned someone not being able to hike to the cache as a reason for the allowance of power trails. If you read the OP, it was not the walk of a few miles, but the fact that there were not multiple opportunities for a smiley, which is all power trails would facilitate.
That was me. However, it was only one of my examples as to why CR's suggestion that a big multi is better than several individual caches along the trail doesn't work for me.

A person who cannot hike the entire trail would not be satisfied with the multi that he could not complete. On the other hand, individual caches along the way help him (me) set attainable, enjoyable goals.

Well my take on it is I enjoy going to a place that has more than one cache on it, does that mean I will not go to a place that has only one no. If a trail has 10 caches on it and you do not see the trail becasue you are looking at your GPS or what ever you still have to walk back to your car and you can look at the trail then. I have been known to go to the last cache on the trail with out stopping at any others and then stopping at the other on the way back to the car. Most times you walk two directions one to look at the trail area and the other to cache.

I had a similar conversation with a very southern former neighbor of mine. We had just arrived for the first time, at the duplex we shared with him. I was driving my Nissan pickup. Dave owned a full sized Bronco and a Bronco II.

Dave: "So, you drive one of them dang fern cars, huh?"

(He didn't say "dang". I'm sure you can figure out what word he used in its place. I assume his use of the phrase "fern" was an attempt to say "foreign", and responded based on that premise)

Me: "Dave, that Bronco is made in Mexico. That one is made in Canada. My Nissan was made in Smyrna Tennessee. Now, who drives a 'fern' car?"

Actually the speed of the Honda has saved my husbands life. Long story short we were in Illinois and there was an insurance type scam going on that involved another car coming straight at you. A car coming straight at you at 70 mph hour would be a nice break from what they were doing. He barely scrapped by and I do mean scrapped, theres a nice scrape on the back bumper where he scrapped the other offending car while attempting to get away from the head on collision.

I had a similar conversation with a very southern former neighbor of mine. We had just arrived for the first time, at the duplex we shared with him. I was driving my Nissan pickup. Dave owned a full sized Bronco and a Bronco II.

Dave: "So, you drive one of them dang fern cars, huh?"

(He didn't say "dang". I'm sure you can figure out what word he used in its place. I assume his use of the phrase "fern" was an attempt to say "foreign", and responded based on that premise)

Me: "Dave, that Bronco is made in Mexico. That one is made in Canada. My Nissan was made in Smyrna Tennessee. Now, who drives a 'fern' car?"

:unsure:

If a power trail is nothing more than a series of caches located 529' apart why not just raise the distance amount? It seems to me more than anything it's subjective and opinion based, not a hard set rule. Raise the distance required and call it done so there is no ambiguity. In my particular area there are not many hides at all. In fact I placed a good portion of them. Complaining about only one cacher making placements is pointless when there may only be a few in the area that actually want to place them to begin with.

Raise the distance.