Did I get the right unit?

6boysrus

Hello! I'm brand new to the site. I've been looking into geocaching, and reading up on it a bit, and decided to take the plunge and go out today and purchase a gps unit. I read online reviews of some of the units in my price range (which was around $150 or less) and found that the Magellan eXplorist 100 got very good reviews and was only $99.00. I plan to take my 3 younger boys out tomorrow for our first cache! They're excited and so am I. I AM wondering though, if I should've spent a bit more and gotten a better unit? Do any of you have any experience with this unit? Is it good enough for our needs of geo caching? I could always return it, since I haven't used it yet. But I'm just second guessing myself.I see that Costco has the Magellan 500 unit for about $20.00 more. Should I be getting that one? I'm pretty technologically challenged. And needed something easy to use. I plan to read the manual tonight to familiarize myself with it. I noticed there are many caches nearby. Are we supposed to be really inconspicuous? My sons are 12, 10, and 7.

Thanks.

Welcome to the Forums! ;)

Does that unit connect to a computer? If it doesn't, I would return it and spend a bit more to get a newer GPS unit that connects to a computer with USB. Check the Garmin site for the models with 'H' in the name. Those are the newest, lower-priced models.

The best of those is the Legend HCx which sells for under $200.00 and connects to your computer with USB so you can send the waypoints to it easily, and later, if you purchase them, you can install maps.

Another plus for getting a Garmin is their reputation for excellent Customer Service, should you ever need it.

I'd return it. You can get an eXplorist 210, 400 or 500 for just a few bucks more and they connect to a PC

and have many far more useful features. Someone here mentioned he just paid $95 for an eXplorist 500, which was a top of the line unit not long ago and sold for 3 times that (It's $119 at Amazon.com).

Personally I'd get a Garmin, but an eXplorist 500 LE for $119 is a good deal.

...I see that Costco has the Magellan 500 unit for about $20.00 more. Should I be getting that one?...

The 100 doesn't connect to a computer and that's the one feature you want above all others. You can cache with this GPS, but once you get hooked you will want to be able to input coordinates directly (no typing errors that way). For that reason like everone has said. Take it back and get one that does connect to the computer. The 500 does, but make sure it comes with a cable.

Welcome to the addiction.

I'd return it. You can get an eXplorist 210, 400 or 500 for just a few bucks more and they connect to a PC

and have many far more useful features. Someone here mentioned he just paid $95 for an eXplorist 500, which was a top of the line unit not long ago and sold for 3 times that (It's $119 at Amazon.com).

Personally I'd get a Garmin, but an eXplorist 500 LE for $119 is a good deal.

I found an explorist 500LE there a few weeks ago on Costcos web site for $119.00

This is a link to the Costco GPS page Costco Sport GPS page

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Connecting to the computer is very handy, but if you don't mind manually keying in the coordinates then the Explorist 100 is an excellent starter unit. Simple to use, and very reliable. We used one for two years, then last summer I upgraded to a newer, shinier toy, and gave the Explorist to our granddaughter. However, our new Garmin seems to lose satellite reception all the time, where the Explorist never did. My husband got very frustrated with the Garmin, and we could hardly ask our granddaughter to give back our old GPS, so I bought him another Explorist 100 for Christmas. Cheaper than a divorce lawyer. Now we take both units with us, and I have to grudgingly admit that his always comes closer to the actual cache location. Mine is fine for getting around with the maps, but his finds the caches. I spend all my time waving my arm at the sky trying to regain satellite reception, or stubbornly insisting that the cache must be over here, only to hear him gloat "found it!".

Oh, and about the need to be inconspicuous - yes, it's a good idea, but with three rambunctious boys it's not going to happen very often. Mostly people don't pay much attention to what you're doing anyway. Our granddaughter pretends to be working on a science project if anyone asks. Botany research. We've pretended to be birdwatchers on occasion. Just start talking among yourselves about petioles or yellow-bellied sapsuckers and people just keep on walking.

WOW, thank you all SO much for your replies!! Since it seems nearly unanimous, I'm going to go return this model to Big 5 Sporting goods, and go to Costco to get that 500 model for $20.00 more. (hope they have it in stock!) Since that one does have the capabilities to connect to the computer, and download cache coordinates. Thanks everyone!

Edited by 6boysrus

i have and use a magellan explorist 100 and i refuse to use anything else. its affordable and does the trick, i have used it for about a year now with no problems at all. all of my finds have been with the 100 or witout a gps at all! (i look at the little map on the cache page) good luck and happy hunting!

i have and use a magellan explorist 100 and i refuse to use anything else. its affordable and does the trick, i have used it for about a year now with no problems at all. all of my finds have been with the 100 or witout a gps at all! (i look at the little map on the cache page) good luck and happy hunting!

You must have a lot more time on your hands than I do :unsure:

Welcome to the Forums! :)

Does that unit connect to a computer? If it doesn't, I would return it and spend a bit more to get a newer GPS unit that connects to a computer with USB. Check the Garmin site for the models with 'H' in the name. Those are the newest, lower-priced models.

The best of those is the Legend HCx which sells for under $200.00 and connects to your computer with USB so you can send the waypoints to it easily, and later, if you purchase them, you can install maps.

Another plus for getting a Garmin is their reputation for excellent Customer Service, should you ever need it.

I don't think it hooks up but the GPS hackers found how to. :D