ipod touch and GSAK

Not easy, but can be done.

You can use this progam: GSAK Ipod Notes Macro

Because since apple doesn't assign the touch a drive letter, it cannot add notes.

But it allows contacts.

1)You create a folder named "notes" on any drive.

2)Then run the above program, sending the notes to the drive with the "notes" folder.

3)Then go to contacts and create a new contact.

4)Name the contact the title of the cache.

5)Then, in the notes section of the contact, paste the info from the notes created by GSAK into the contact note section.

6)Then sync your contacts from your computer to the touch.

Now, when you go to the contact section of your touch, the cache pages will be there.

Another way is to jailbreak you touch, but I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Not easy, but can be done.

You can use this progam: GSAK Ipod Notes Macro

Because since apple doesn't assign the touch a drive letter, it cannot add notes.

But it allows contacts.

1)You create a folder named "notes" on any drive.

2)Then run the above program, sending the notes to the drive with the "notes" folder.

3)Then go to contacts and create a new contact.

4)Name the contact the title of the cache.

5)Then, in the notes section of the contact, paste the info from the notes created by GSAK into the contact note section.

6)Then sync your contacts from your computer to the touch.

Now, when you go to the contact section of your touch, the cache pages will be there.

Another way is to jailbreak you touch, but I wouldn't recommend it. ;)

So does this method only create one cache at a time? That would take for ever. I wish there was some way to put all my cache info in my touch all at one time. then just update it as needed. And what is "jail break" I have never heard of doing that? and why do you not suggest doing it? does it cause damage to it in some way?

Only one cache can be done at a time.

"Jail Break" is a program that "hacks" you iPod touch. Then allowing you to do things to your touch you couldn't do before. But, it erases most of the default "links" on your homepage.(Only leaves about 4). You can reset back to the apple software on the touch by reseting the device. Then that way you can upload notes.

I am a big GSAK fan, and am lucky enough to have multiple ipods, including the Touch. With the goal of getting the caches onto my Touch and not just my nano, I bought myself maccaching (I also have a Mac in addition to my Vista machine). If I run my pocket queries into GSAK then export them as .gpx files (all macros), maccaching will import the gpx and it has an instant export to ipod touch in the form of contacts. The only limitation that I am yet to solve is the lack of logs. You get cache attributes and hints however.

Requires some investment, but if you happen to have a mac then it is a cheap option to use the Touch. Maccaching only costs USD$15.

I may have just devised an elegant "paperless" solution for those with the iPod Touch (would work for iPhone too) that was inspired by the discussion here. It basically leverages the pop mail capability built into the iPod Touch and the iPhone. I've just tried it with my iPhone and it seems to work. I *think* the iPod Touch in the latest rev does

If there are a few iPod Touch owners out there that would like to try a bit of testing for me we might just have a nice OFFLINE solution for paperless caching for both the iPod Touch and the iPhone when it's out of range. If you'd like to participate in this "alpha" testing and you have a POP mail account set up to receive email on your iPod Touch, drop me a line (don@babcock.org) I'd like to get some feedback from the iPod Touch world (I don't have one of those.) You'll need to be running the January update or later which includes email.

-dB

www.ayefon.com

If you still need someone with a touch to try the offline version, I would like to help!! When I bought my touch, I never thought about using it for caching, but this would be great!! Then I could ditch my PocketPC.

Also, I'm using a Jailbreak version on mine if that matters.

Edited by LanierCrew

I've managed to get html cache pages that I generate from GSAK onto the itouch.

Its a matter of basically sending them via wifi with cuteftp pro into a folder on the itouch. Then after installing a copy of apache server on the itouch just opening the link on the itouch safari.

No mess no fuss. and no wifi etc needed once your out on the road. Its all stored on the itouch.

I am going away for the weekend but when I get back I'll write up a tutorial on how to do it.

It does require jailbreaking the itouch though.

Edited by embi

If you go to the GC.com website and download the pdf files for the caches that you wish to find you can attatch them to an e-mail and e-mail yourself. As long as you open the email while you have wifi you will be able to access the email offline and all of the PDFs.

I did come up with another solution for getting cache listings into my ipod touch with out jail breaking.

It basically gets the cache listings into the contacts section of the ipod touch. Not the best solution if you actually use the contacts section, but if you don't use it, then it works nicely.

It can't be done the same way as you would with an iPod, but it isn't too hard. Basically I export a vCard file from GSAK then import that vCard file to Yahoo! Address Book. I can then sync Yahoo! Address Book with my ipod touch. This solution should work with the iPhone as well.

I wrote a more detailed explanation on my blog, check it out here.

Its a matter of basically sending them via wifi with cuteftp pro into a folder on the itouch. Then after installing a copy of apache server on the itouch just opening the link on the itouch safari.

No mess no fuss. and no wifi etc needed once your out on the road. Its all stored on the itouch.

I am going away for the weekend but when I get back I'll write up a tutorial on how to do it.

Just wondering if you've had time to write your tutorial yet?

I am not sure if the following works on an ipod touch. Its what I am doing on my iphone and it doesn't require jailbraking.

First, you need to install FileMagnet onto the touch (note: you will need a Mac as well)

Then I export my caches as html files in GSAK (name of the html files is something like GCXXXX.html)

I then batch convert the html files into pdf files.

Finally I upload the pdf files onto my iphone from a Mac.

In the Filemagnet software on my iphone I have now a folder, which contains in alphabetical order all the pdf files.

So far I have uploaded 500 pdf files onto my iphone in one go and it seems to work fine

Again, I don't know if this works on the touch.

Best wishes

Robert

I am not sure if the following works on an ipod touch. Its what I am doing on my iphone and it doesn't require jailbraking.

First, you need to install FileMagnet onto the touch (note: you will need a Mac as well)

Then I export my caches as html files in GSAK (name of the html files is something like GCXXXX.html)

I then batch convert the html files into pdf files.

Finally I upload the pdf files onto my iphone from a Mac.

In the Filemagnet software on my iphone I have now a folder, which contains in alphabetical order all the pdf files.

So far I have uploaded 500 pdf files onto my iphone in one go and it seems to work fine

Again, I don't know if this works on the touch.

Best wishes

Robert

Thanks for this - but no Mac here so will have to keep hoping that someone has come up with a way for it to work for me. I'm sure your post will be of good use to lots of users.

I got to do some thinking the other night about emailing the cache descriptions to an email account that I could view on my touch. I hadn't seen the posts here about doing such a thing, until I came back to the forums to find if someone had created a tool that would make shorter work of this task.

What I did was...

First I created a specific Gmail account that I would use solely for this purpose.

Second, I copied the waypoint name and cache name as the Subject of each message.

Then "pasted" the description of the cache along with the decrypted hint (if applicable).

Since I was loading about 30 caches, I also included a screen captured map showing the locations of the caches. as the last message. the image was easily accessible and could be zoomed into. (It wasn't interactive since it was simply a screencap though.) We were going after a cluster of caches in a 4 square mile area. the cache names weren't labeled, but the waypoints on our gps's made it short guess work.

This was a bit time consuming to get the information loaded, but turned out to be a very helpful method. It would be kinda nice to see a feature for simply bundling the information and sending each cache as a separate email to a specified email address.

As a side note, you can adjust the number of default messages that are stored locally as the 25, 50, 75, 100, or 200 most recent messages.