The Northwest Trails Project

Moun10Bike

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I'll get Garmin Topo Alaska. It isn't that expensive, when compared to what everything else is costing!

You may want to purchse the entire Garmin Topo for the full US since it doesn't cost that much more than ?Alaska alone.

Topo will definitely be your friend up here...nothing like seeing a cache only 500 meters away and not realizing it's more than 300 meters above you.

Is there anyone that still uses Magellan that would like these trails?

There is a way to inject them into Mapsend software using "AddMagMap".

AddMagMap is now a freeware program.

I have only tried this on older Mapsends (Topo USA,and Topo US 3D).

You need to turn the NW-Trail .img files into .mp files before you can work them in AddMagMap.

And AddMagMap has a tool to turn the .mp files into .hsp line files and inject into Mapsend.

(Would be very helpful if the .MP files were available for download, the only tool I know of that can reverse the .img files back to .mp is cgpsmaper ver0085 and with this I wasn't able to get one of the .imgs converted but I don't notice much missing.

Be sure to read the relevant info on the AddMagMap site. One thing to know is set the size of map just larger than the widest parameters on the created .hsp files or Mapsend crashes when zoomed in.

Once you inport the 10 in my case 9 .hps, set them as label, and i did layer trail and line type railroad but you can pick the linetype you wish. I left the filters unselected.

And before you click create be sure to go to file/save job, it is not the most stable program and in my case crashed the first time creating the map and had to start all over.

If it does crash on topo usa don't use the restore option just open the program again and open the saved job and try clicking create again. Worked for me the 2nd try.

Well I could go on and on with more helpful details but I think I may be the only one that still uses magellan. (Meridian Gold)

Jason

Edited by wimmpyiii

You need to turn the NW-Trail .img files into .mp files before you can work them in AddMagMap.

And AddMagMap has a tool to turn the .mp files into .hsp line files and inject into Mapsend.

(Would be very helpful if the .MP files were available for download, the only tool I know of that can reverse the .img files back to .mp is cgpsmaper ver0085 and with this I wasn't able to get one of the .imgs converted but I don't notice much missing.

Be sure to read the relevant info on the AddMagMap site. One thing to know is set the size of map just larger than the widest parameters on the created .hsp files or Mapsend crashes when zoomed in.

Once you inport the 10 in my case 9 .hps, set them as label, and i did layer trail and line type railroad but you can pick the linetype you wish. I left the filters unselected.

And before you click create be sure to go to file/save job, it is not the most stable program and in my case crashed the first time creating the map and had to start all over.

If it does crash on topo usa don't use the restore option just open the program again and open the saved job and try clicking create again. Worked for me the 2nd try.

Well I could go on and on with more helpful details but I think I may be the only one that still uses magellan. (Meridian Gold)

Jason

A friend of mine recently aquired a eXplorist 400 and was wondering if something like NW Trails existed for Magellans. Have you tried this on an eXplorist model?

Edited by Dgwphotos

Jason

A friend of mine recently aquired a eXplorist 400 and was wondering if something like NW Trails existed for Magellans. Have you tried this on an eXplorist model?

Sorry for the late feedback,

Yes it will work as well with the right software. The oldest "Topo US" will not work but the "Topo USA 3D" does work with the eXplorist. Addmagmap works for both.