The Northwest Trails Project

Moun10Bike

a question did come to mind - are the trails going to be included with the topo map? I can see possibly wanting just the topo without the trails. Would loading both topo's with trails and the trail maps (overlaping regions) cause any problems?

I'm not sure why one would want topo without trails. :D

So that you could use the topo sort of like a basemap and use an alternate source for trails which could be updated much more frequently. Sounds like that's the plan here.

So that you could use the topo sort of like a basemap and use an alternate source for trails which could be updated much more frequently. Sounds like that's the plan here.

Which brings up a semi-related question: I was viewing various maps in MapSource and was not able to figure out how view more than one at a time. I really wanted to overlay the topo or trails over the street map, but I wasn't smart enough to do it.

Can it even be done?

Which brings up a semi-related question: I was viewing various maps in MapSource and was not able to figure out how view more than one at a time. I really wanted to overlay the topo or trails over the street map, but I wasn't smart enough to do it.

Can it even be done?

I don't think this can be done. If it can, I sure wish I knew how!

I'm not sure why one would want topo without trails. :P

Can it even be done?

Yes, there are tools that out there that allow you to make a map layer "transparent". I did this with mapsource TOPO so I am able to see City Select & the TOPO maps at the same time. I don't remember what the program was but I found it on the Groundspeak Forums a couple of years back.

Can it even be done?

Yes, there are tools that out there that allow you to make a map layer "transparent". I did this with mapsource TOPO so I am able to see City Select & the TOPO maps at the same time. I don't remember what the program was but I found it on the Groundspeak Forums a couple of years back.

There was mention of it on the DeLorme forums. If I have time tonight, I'll look it up and post. Pretty nifty stuff.

Also I'll be working on the new NW Trails update for the DeLorme side after this weekend.

Edited by TotemLake

Can it even be done?

Yeah, load them all on to the GPSr and look there! In MapSource, not that I know of.

Can it even be done?

Yeah, load them all on to the GPSr and look there! In MapSource, not that I know of.

Agreed. You can only look at one mapset at a time in MapSource. The only way to see NW Trails overlaid on other maps is in the GPS.

a question did come to mind - are the trails going to be included with the topo map? I can see possibly wanting just the topo without the trails. Would loading both topo's with trails and the trail maps (overlaping regions) cause any problems?

Well since, for Garmin anyway, you have to reload all the different mapsets to update any one of them you can't really use the topo like a base map.

And how can any trail map get updated more frequently than NWTrails. Sheesh!

Edited by MarcusArelius

You know last year I bought US Topo and was disappointed with the lack of granularity of the contour lines. I kind of was kicking myself for not going with the new 24K regional map.

It doesn't seem like there would be a lot of differance between having conour lines spaced 60 feet apart as compared to 40 feet apart. But zoomed into the same typical mountain area with MapSource there were 5 sixty foot contour lines as compared to 22 lines at forty foot intervals

I hope you follow through with the project!! This is Perfect!!

I would have detailed topo maps for the areas that I hike and coverage for the rest of the US in the off chance I get a chance to visit somewhere else.

THANK YOU!!!

Well since, for Garmin anyway, you have to reload all the different mapsets to update any one of them you can't really use the topo like a base map.

And how can any trail map get updated more frequently than NWTrails. Sheesh!

For the newer units like the Colorado you can actually just update the map file without having to upload the basemap file.

You know last year I bought US Topo and was disappointed with the lack of granularity of the contour lines. I kind of was kicking myself for not going with the new 24K regional map.

It doesn't seem like there would be a lot of differance between having conour lines spaced 60 feet apart as compared to 40 feet apart. But zoomed into the same typical mountain area with MapSource there were 5 sixty foot contour lines as compared to 22 lines at forty foot intervals

I hope you follow through with the project!! This is Perfect!!

I would have detailed topo maps for the areas that I hike and coverage for the rest of the US in the off chance I get a chance to visit somewhere else.

THANK YOU!!!

Something else most people don't realize, with the finer granularity of the topo lines, you'll also see some humps and hills you would otherwise have missed. This isn't too critical until you start walking a ridgeline and realize it isn't nearly as level as you originally perceived.

For the newer units like the Colorado you can actually just update the map file without having to upload the basemap file.

I didn't know you could upload a basemap. For the Extrex, and 60 series, I think they are permanently stored in ROM.

What I was saying is when a new NW Trails comes out I have to reload City Navigator and Topo at the same time. Otherwise you only have the single mapset loaded.

So the Colorado lets you reload a single mapset without losing any others that you already have loaded into the GPSr?

The Colorado and Oregon have the ability to hold three separate mapsets: the default TopoUS 2008 map, an additional mapset in internal memory, and a mapset on the SD card. I keep the bulk of my maps on the SD card and use the internal memory for loading of maps that i update frequently, like Northwest Trails. This allows me to update to a new version of NWT in a couple of minutes rather than the hour+ it would take to upload all mapsets at once.

The Colorado and Oregon have the ability to hold three separate mapsets: the default TopoUS 2008 map, an additional mapset in internal memory, and a mapset on the SD card. I keep the bulk of my maps on the SD card and use the internal memory for loading of maps that i update frequently, like Northwest Trails. This allows me to update to a new version of NWT in a couple of minutes rather than the hour+ it would take to upload all mapsets at once.

Is this exclusive to those units, or can the GPSmap 60 units do it too - upload maps separately to memory and the data card? I'd sure love to be able to upload NW Trails more frequently, without spending a half hour reloading the entire mapset.

Is this exclusive to those units, or can the GPSmap 60 units do it too - upload maps separately to memory and the data card? I'd sure love to be able to upload NW Trails more frequently, without spending a half hour reloading the entire mapset.

from what I understand this is just the Colorado and the Oregon. I wish it was for other units, I also have to reload everything.

FYI, a complete Washington 24k topo mapset has been posted at GPSFileDepot:

I would be interested in getting feedback from people and whether I should bother finishing my Northwest Topos map given the availability of this.

A quick look at this new map and it doesn't look like it has any peaks along the I-90 corridor (so I will make the wild assumption that just the GNIS state file was used so probably *no* peaks in the Cascades are featured). And that's just the peaks, not considering any other sort of POI ;) It seems to me, the real benefit of 40 ft contours are when used in the mountains.

There are/were three people actively working on WA Topos at GPSFileDepot who use the topo_process utility there, which grabs the GNIS state file. If additional data isn't added, any WA map using this will be missing *lots* of data. The same utility grabs the latest TIGER data for transportation. The topo_process utility is great, but that is the data it uses. I have no doubt that you probably have far more data :)

Also, the POIs cannot be searched... I'm not sure what version of cGPSmapper you are using and if that matters.

I can understand why you might consider not continuing and likely more WA maps will follow. But if you are still planning on pursuing making the maps regardless, for yourself, I know that I would be very interested in the opportunity to check them out/use them. And I certainly think many would benefit greatly from your maps if you decided to share.

And, no offense to whoever worked really hard on the maps :)

I downloaded the most current ver. today and having it was just great. Unfortunately, My above The Timber topo maps won't work when the trails map is installed. Am I missing something?

I have a Garmin Astro 220 with City Nav. 2008 and Above The Timber Wa. Topo map. I have a 2gig sd chip.

I tried uploading just the Wa. St. nav. map and the topo map and the NWT map as per inst. (I think) but the topo map overlay isn't there. In the maps settings, I see the NWT Maps and it is check marked and so are all the topo maps.

Any help would be cool tho I really love having the trails map. Just came back from Spring Lake in SE King County.

I would be interested in getting feedback from people and whether I should bother finishing my Northwest Topos map given the availability of this.

I gave it look over on Saturday. Here is a few things I noticed.

1. Highway 101 is in the water on the west coast by N47 42.772 W124 25.011

2. The strait to the Puget Sound is missing the bodies of water. The Columbia river disappears at Interstate 90. It comes up Tan like the land color.

3. There is funny looking contour errors out in the sea on west coast. I saw the same thing when I was processing Dem files too. It looks like needs crop to the State borders.

4. The Interstate Flags are missing.

5. The USGS GNIS POI data is missing.

Overall, the contours look good. The streams look good until it runs into a body of water, since the body of water and streams are two different colors, the streams show though on the lake as well, but I noticed that on the Idaho and Nevada topo as well. I haven't tried it on the gps yet, just looking at it with Mapsource.

John

I gave it look over on Saturday. Here is a few things I noticed.

1. Highway 101 is in the water on the west coast by N47 42.772 W124 25.011

2. The strait to the Puget Sound is missing the bodies of water. The Columbia river disappears at Interstate 90. It comes up Tan like the land color.

3. There is funny looking contour errors out in the sea on west coast. I saw the same thing when I was processing Dem files too. It looks like needs crop to the State borders.

4. The Interstate Flags are missing.

5. The USGS GNIS POI data is missing.

Overall, the contours look good. The streams look good until it runs into a body of water, since the body of water and streams are two different colors, the streams show though on the lake as well, but I noticed that on the Idaho and Nevada topo as well. I haven't tried it on the gps yet, just looking at it with Mapsource.

John

There are also some contours on summits were the contours lines cross over each other. Saw this on a few different peaks.

Although I didn't notice any when I looked, the garbage contours found on the coast showed up on my maps also, in addition to the Puget Sound. So these may also be present there. The only solution I found aside from editing each quad was to simply delete all 0 ft contours.

from what I understand this is just the Colorado and the Oregon. I wish it was for other units, I also have to reload everything.

Some of the Nuvi's have the same feature. The Nuvi 500 has 50ft contour TOPO and CN as one map on pre-program, so that leaves the card open or the memory open for adding more supp maps.

That's the feature I like the most with these gps's. I keep my CN on the memory, and update NW trails and the other maps with the card reader. I don't even have to turn on the gps and wait for the gps to go into File transfer mode with a card reader.

There are also some contours on summits were the contours lines cross over each other. Saw this on a few different peaks.

Although I didn't notice any when I looked, the garbage contours found on the coast showed up on my maps also, in addition to the Puget Sound. So these may also be present there. The only solution I found aside from editing each quad was to simply delete all 0 ft contours.

I zoom in to about 800ft and I can see where the 100K contour tiles didn't align up to the next tile, you can actually see where the tiles are at in mapsource.

Northwest Trails version 1.32 is now available at the Northwest Trails Page. No, you didn't miss a version - version 1.31 was a private build that I created immediately after releasing 1.30. It included updated line styles and pulled out all of the snowmobile and snow trails. Other than a couple of other minor changes, that's all there was to it.

Version 1.32 includes those changes as well as additional ones submitted by users, as usual. If there is enough demand, I can create a snowmobile and snow trail-only mapset, but I elected to remove that data from Northwest Trails because I heard more complaints about it than positive comments. Also, any feedback you may have on the new line styles would be most appreciated.

The change list below includes version 1.31 as well as 1.32. Enjoy!

Version 1.32 (January 30, 2009)

• Re-added a portion of the Goat River Trail (near McBride, BC) that was inadvertently deleted in a previous release
  • Added portions of the Pilchuck Tree Farm from aerial imagery (near Arlington, WA)
  • Verified and updated western section of Rattlesnake Mountain Trail and adjoining roads from GPS data, TIGER line data and aerial imagery (near Snoqualmie, WA)
  • Data courtesy of hydnsek:
    • Verification and tweaking of trails and roads around Anti-Aircraft Peak Trailhead on Cougar Mountain (Bellevue, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of The Jester:

• Wallingford Playground (Seattle, WA)
    • Additional roads and trails in Maplewood Heights Park (Renton, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of LandRover:

• Talus Bridge Trailhead on Cougar Mountain (Bellevue, WA)
    • Additional trail data and refinement of the Cedar Butte - Christmas Lake area (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Prying Pandora:

• Additional data for the Timberlane Neighborhood trail/road system (Covington, WA)
    • Additional trail data and refinement of the Cedar Butte - Christmas Lake area (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of FunnyNose:

• Emma Schmitz Memorial Overlook trail (Seattle, WA)
    • Mee-Kwa-Mooks Park (Seattle, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of B+L:

• New data for the Fern Cove Trail (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Harriet the Spy:

• Pilchuck Tree Farm (near Arlington, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Bob Cromwell:

• Tiger Mountain Trail mile markers (near Issaquah, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of shutle64:

• Argent Road Bike Path (Pasco, WA)
    • W.E. Johnson Park (Richland, WA)
    • Additional data for the Yakima Delta road/trail network (Richland, WA)
    • Badger Bike Trail (Richland, WA)

Version 1.31 (January 21, 2009)

• Pulled all snowmobile and snow trails from the project. These didn't ever seem to quite fit with the project and if there is demand can be spun off into a separate package.
  • Revamped custom lines styles to accomodate the removal of the above trail types, to improve the appearance of the "lo-res" styles on units like the 60CSx, and to distinguish unpaved roads from the new appearance of "alleys" in City Navigator, which Garmin recently changed. Changes include:
    • Hi-Res:
      • Changed trails from two-pixel wide line with white borders to single-pixel line with white borders
      • Changed unpaved roads from a bitmap boxed line to a two-pixel light brown vector line with dark brown borders
      • Changed motorized trails from a bitmap maroon boxed line to a single-pixel orange vector line with light orange borders

[*]Lo-Res:

• Narrowed the width of unpaved roads
      • Narrowed the width of motorized trails and converted from maroon boxed line to dark orange dashed line

[*]Corrected attribution of a section of the Olympic Discovery Trail from dirt trail to paved trail based on feedback from FunnyNose (Sequim, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of FunnyNose:

• Golden Gardens Park (Seattle, WA)

From a relative new bee here... All i can say is wow! Very cool project. Very cool collaboration. I downloaded the trails last night and the WA24kTopo (from GPSFileDepot.com) this morning. Very cool. I put the Trails and WA24kTopo in gmapsupp.img on the 400t with the Topo USA gmapprom.img. I have the City Nav gmapsupp.img on the SD. Everygthing seems to work fantastic.

I have a couple of questions:

In post #215, there is a reference to a Google Earth .kmz file being available for download. I'm not having an luck finding it. Can anyone offer assistance?

Somewhere in the beginning of reading all 7 pages, there was something about the trails in McDonalds park in Carnation being questionable. After looking through all 7 pages, I never saw where anyone verified them. I'd be willing to do some of that if it still needs to be done.

Again, amazing effort.

Sam

I downloaded the most current ver. today and having it was just great. Unfortunately, My above The Timber topo maps won't work when the trails map is installed. Am I missing something?

I have a Garmin Astro 220 with City Nav. 2008 and Above The Timber Wa. Topo map. I have a 2gig sd chip.

I tried uploading just the Wa. St. nav. map and the topo map and the NWT map as per inst. (I think) but the topo map overlay isn't there. In the maps settings, I see the NWT Maps and it is check marked and so are all the topo maps.

Any help would be cool tho I really love having the trails map. Just came back from Spring Lake in SE King County.

Sorry for missing this question earlier!

Topo maps are in general set to draw at a lower priority than City Navigator and other road-centric mapsets. That means that the topos are likely displaying underneath your navigation map set. Try turning off those maps and then see if the topo maps are visible.

I have a couple of questions:

In post #215, there is a reference to a Google Earth .kmz file being available for download. I'm not having an luck finding it. Can anyone offer assistance?

Somewhere in the beginning of reading all 7 pages, there was something about the trails in McDonalds park in Carnation being questionable. After looking through all 7 pages, I never saw where anyone verified them. I'd be willing to do some of that if it still needs to be done.

1. The Google Earth file was pulled after the person who supplied me with a lot of the Forest Service data that I was unable to obtain directly asked me to. I personally believe in free distribution of public domain data, but to avoid causing problems I agreed.

2. Tolt-MacDonald still needs a lot of work! Most of the trails need verification, plus many of them were recorded by an individual using a first-generation (and thus inaccurate) GPS. In addition there are many trails simply not yet recorded. Any help you can provide would be most appreciated!

Sorry for missing this question earlier!

Topo maps are in general set to draw at a lower priority than City Navigator and other road-centric mapsets. That means that the topos are likely displaying underneath your navigation map set. Try turning off those maps and then see if the topo maps are visible.

Thanks Moun10bike, I actually read the instructions for my Astro(Looks like the garmin gpsmap60csx except it has an extra antenna for the dog gps) and figured out how to get the road, topo and trails maps to all show up at the same time. This thing is killer now. No more guessing. I will help when I can.

Edited by pca6661

Can it even be done?

I still have the program on my computer but I do not know where to find it on the forums it is called transp_2A

We have an Oregon 400t (thanks Santa!). If NW Trails is installed by itself on the unit's internal memory, or an SD card, the map does not appear on the map screen or on the map selection screen. If NW trails is installed with other maps, it works fine.

This happens with the two latest beta updates, 2.85 and 2.86. We are not sure if the problem is with the beta updates, or the unit itself. Jon says he has not heard of anyone else having this problem and suggested we ask here. We've also reported the problem to Garmin's beta problems list.

Is anyone else running one of the last two Garmin updates and either having or not having the same problem with NW Trails?

We have an Oregon 400t (thanks Santa!). If NW Trails is installed by itself on the unit's internal memory, or an SD card, the map does not appear on the map screen or on the map selection screen. If NW trails is installed with other maps, it works fine.

This happens with the two latest beta updates, 2.85 and 2.86. We are not sure if the problem is with the beta updates, or the unit itself. Jon says he has not heard of anyone else having this problem and suggested we ask here. We've also reported the problem to Garmin's beta problems list.

Is anyone else running one of the last two Garmin updates and either having or not having the same problem with NW Trails?

I just loaded the NW Trails WA only trail map, seems to work fine. I see the option for it in Setup, Maps, Select Map. I also see the trails over Topo 2008. Bummer that it's messing with you...

Sam

I just loaded the NW Trails WA only trail map, seems to work fine. I see the option for it in Setup, Maps, Select Map. I also see the trails over Topo 2008. Bummer that it's messing with you...

Sam

Were you ever able to talk to Garmin about your issue?

Northwest Trails v1.33 is now available! There are not a huge number of changes, but I figured that I would release it at the same time that I am releasing a new mapset, Priest Lake Topo. The Priest Lake Topo mapset is sort of a test bed for the upcoming Northwest Topo mapset, so any feedback you have on colors, line types, zoom levels, visibility, et al. would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Northwest Trails Version 1.33
(February 6, 2009)

• Added GPS data for some trails in North Kitsap and East Jefferson Counties (WA):
    • Adjustments to the trail to "The Quiet Place" (Kingston, WA)

• Added a portion of the PUD #1 Trail (Kingston, WA)

• Additions to the Anderson Lake State Park network, including the trails leading toward Tamanowas Rock and the Cascade Loop Trail (near Port Hadlock, WA)

• A portion of the paved trail in H.J. Carrol Park (near Port Hadlock, WA)

• A tiny portion of the trail system at Chimacum Park (near Port Hadlock, WA)

[*]
    Added data from GPS and aerial imagery for trails around Stillwater Bog in Snoqualmie Ridge, WA

[*]
    Adjusted attribution of road on Rattlesnake Ridge to minor trail following feedback from Bill Davis

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    The Jester
    :

• Green River Natural Resources Area (Kent, WA)

• Green River Nursery (Kent, WA)

• Additional spurs and connectors off of the Green River Trail (Kent, WA)

• Road/trail system in unnamed county park off of 104th Ave. SE in Auburn, WA

• Unnamed city park in Auburn, WA

• Milton Trail (Milton, WA)

• ATV trails and roads adjacent to I-5 at the Highway 18 exit in Federal Way, WA

• Powerline road south of Fivemile Lake (Milton, WA)

• East Green River Park (Auburn, WA)

• Several neighborhood trails in Kent, WA

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    popop
    :

• Threemile Lake South Trail (near Reedsport, OR)

[*]
    Data courtesy of Tom Mehren:

• Old car wreck on Cougar Mountain (Bellevue, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of Bob Cromwell:

• Additional waypoints on Tiger and Squak Mountains (near Issaquah, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    EraSeek
    :

• Additions to the Anderson Lake State Park network, including the trails leading toward Tamanowas Rock and the Cascade Loop Trail (near Port Hadlock, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    lucyandrickie
    :

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    samckernan
    :

• Verification of some trails in Tolt-MacDonald Park (near Carnation, WA)

Were you ever able to talk to Garmin about your issue?

I got a reply today. It was surprising, because their contact form apparently hates me and the two different browsers I tried. They said there is probably not much they can do to help since it is a third-party product they are not aware of and could not find using Google. I guess I left the link out in the copy that made it through, but switchbacks.com is 6th hit returned when googling Northwest Trails and I gave them enough info to make it the first hit. Even so, I don't expect them to have to google the info.

I told them where to find the maps and suggested the problem might be with their MapInstall app for the Mac and we'll see if that goes anywhere. I may have to call Garmin to make sure they understand the problem.

Unfortunately, using Mapsource is currently out because when I run Windows under Parallels, either the Oregon is not found by Mapsource or my Mac kernel panics when it is. Luckily, I can still use GSAK without any problems.

As long as I install something else like Building Footprints along with NW Trails everything works. Although it takes a little longer to install, it is measured in minutes instead of hours like it would be if be if I bundled all the maps I have installed.

First, are you using a Mac?

If so you should be using Garmin Road Trip, Garmin Mapinstall, and Garmin MapManager.

My GPSR 60 series and even the Nuvi500 work with Topo 2008, 2009 and of course Northwest trails.

Now the Nuvi, I must turn off the Street Maps use the Northwest trails instead and just remind myself if I need to go to an address turn on the Street Maps.

To add a topper the Nuvi was got me the correct way into 'South of the Falls'....

I'm sure this is what you may need to do for your Oregon by going in and turn NWT on.

The one problem I do see is and That is in work is to view BOTH Topo/NWT at the same time within Roadtrip on your Mac.

Good luck and happy caching... DasMutt

We just dowloaded NWTrails and opened up Mapsource. In mapsource we can scroll and click on NW Trails and see the trails. We can't figure out how to add the maps to our garmin colorado 400t. Can you or someone help us (we've never loaded any maps before). If we get all the trails, that's fine, but the main goal is WA and OR. We appriciate all help. Thanks.

Globaltreckers

We just dowloaded NWTrails and opened up Mapsource. In mapsource we can scroll and click on NW Trails and see the trails. We can't figure out how to add the maps to our garmin colorado 400t. Can you or someone help us (we've never loaded any maps before). If we get all the trails, that's fine, but the main goal is WA and OR. We appriciate all help. Thanks.

Globaltreckers

Zoom out to 100 miles or so until you can see at least portions of Oregon and Washington on the map. Typing "m" will select the map tool. Click on Oregon and Washington and the selected tiles will get highlighted. You can then copy the map to your Colorado. There should be drop down list that allows you to select the internal memory or an SD card if one is present.

Today was our first day caching with our 60csx. We decided to try the NW Trails maps as well as the TOPO US maps. WOW! What a difference it made for us. We've avoided some caches in the past because we weren't sure how to get to them. We've grown tired of urban caching and want to head into the woods. This is the perfect tool for us. Thanks to everyone and we hope to add the database soon.

Northwest Trails v1.34 has been posted to the usual location.

In order to further prepare for the production of Northwest Topos and to eliminate data duplication in multiple mapsets (meaning the need to make identical changes in separate collections of data), I have changed my process around and now have one master dataset for all roads and trails. I have a script that now extracts the necessary data for each mapset when it comes time to cut a new release. I mention this because this build is the first time I've tried using this process, and there might be some kinks in the machinery (such as trails that show up as suddenly missing). Please let me know if you encounter any issues like this.

Enjoy!

Version 1.34
(February 25, 2009)

• Made changes to trail labeling to improve display at lower zoom levels
    • Verified and adjusted the Talus Bridge Trail and a portion of the Bear Ridge Trail on Cougar Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)
    • Added trails of Forest Park (Everett, WA) from PDF provided by AndrewRJ
    • Data courtesy of samckernan:
      • Verification and adjustment of several trails in Tolt-MacDonald Park (near Carnation, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of MarcusArelius:

• Camp Brinkley access road and barricaded old road (trail) near Lake Roesiger, WA
      • Verification of and a new spur of the Chirico Trail on Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)
      • Verification of trails in, and new data for, Wilburton Park (Bellevue, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of The Jester:

• Verification of trails in a couple of areas close to Lake Youngs (Renton, WA)
      • Verification of a portion of the Green River Trail (Tukwila, WA)
      • A segment of the Interurban Trail (Lynnwood, WA)
      • Terrace Creek Trail (Mountlake Terrace, WA)
      • Confirmation of a number of trails on Cougar Mountain (near Bellevue, WA)
      • VerCello Wetlands Trail (Renton Highlands, WA)
      • Confirmation of a portion of the Chapman Trail (Puyallup, WA)
      • Paved trail near Madison Middle School (Seattle, WA)
      • Refinement of a portion of the Coal Creek Trail (Bellevue, WA)
      • Verification of and adjustments to Military Road Trail and adjoining trails on Cougar Mountain (near Bellevue, WA)
      • North SeaTac Park (SeaTac, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of hydnsek:

• Pipeline trail off of Coal Creek Parkway (Bellevue, WA)
      • Adjustments to Terrace Trail on Cougar Mountain (near Bellevue, WA)
      • Additional trails and roads linking into the Terrace Trail (near Bellevue, WA)
      • Adjustments to Indian, Far Country and Shy Bear Trails on Cougar Mountain (near Bellevue, WA)
      • Numerous additions to the Talus Trails adjacent to Cougar Mountain (Issaquah, WA)
      • Verification of and adjustments to the Licorice Fern Trail on Cougar Mountain (near Bellevue, WA)
      • Verification of and adjustments to Cougar Ridge Trail (near Bellevue, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Prying Pandora:

• Point Whitehorn Marine Reserve Trail (near Blaine, WA)
      • VerCello Wetlands Trail (Renton Highlands, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Tibby's People:

• Additional paved trail at Bothell Landing (Bothell, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of EraSeek:

• Road/trail to Anderson Point (near Olalla, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Tom Mehren:

• Viewpoint at Wallace Falls State Park (near Gold Bar, WA)
      • Points of interest along the Lime Kiln Trail (near Granite Falls, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Bob Cromwell:

• Adjustments and corrections to some of the trails leading from Red Town Trailhead on Cougar Mountain (near Bellevue, WA), including:
        • N2 - Military Road
        • N11 - Little Creek Trail
        • N10 - Primrose Overlook Trail

[*]Data courtesy of Shaggy, Scooby, and Velma:

• Unnamed trail near Kingston, WA
      • Trail in Priest Point Park (Olympia, WA)
      • Sugarloaf Trail in the Anacortes (WA) Community Forest (Mount Erie Park)
      • Eglon Hansville Trail (near Kingston, WA)
      • Salona Nature Trail (Bothell, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of TotemLake:

• Several trails in Forest Park (Everett, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of B+L:

• Nettle Creek Trail (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of yogazoo:

• Numerous trails in Montana and just across the border in Idaho that were previously missing from the database

Northwest Trails v1.35 is now available on the Northwest Trails Page.

Not a big release this time around, just a number of revisions and useful additions.

Enjoy!

Jon

Version 1.35
(March 12, 2009)

• Added GPS data for trail in Carmichael Park in Snoqualmie Ridge, WA

• Tweaked Tree Frog Loop in the Redmond (WA) Watershed using new GPS data

• Adjustments to the N11 - Little Creek Trail and N10 - Primrose Overlook Trail on Cougar Mountain (near Bellevue, WA)

• Added a portion of the English Hill trail system (Redmond, WA)

• Data courtesy of
    jholly
    :
    • Verification of and adjustments to dirt roads on Pope Resources land in the Hansville Greenway area (near Port Gamble, WA)

• Minor trail on Pope Resources land (near Port Gamble, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    The Jester
    :

• Additional trails and roads in North SeaTac Park (SeaTac, WA)

• Unpaved road in the Skyway (WA) area

• Crestview Park (Renton, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    runhills
    :

• New unpaved road in the Ring Hill Forest (Woodinville, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    MarcusArelius
    :

• Verification of the Koh Trail and surroundings and additional waypoints in Wilburton Park (Bellevue, WA)

• Verification of various roads and trails plus summer parking lot and associated waypoints at Tiger Mountain (Near Issaquah, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    Shaggy, Scooby, and Velma
    :

• Verification of and additional trails near Hansville, WA

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    hydnsek
    :

• Minor trail off of the Chirico Trail on Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)

• Mark Twain Park (Kirkland, WA)

• A portion of the Willows Fjords trail network (Redmond, WA)

• Redmond West Wetlands (Redmond, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    YeOleImposter
    :

• Paved trail to public fishing location (Richland, WA)

• Trail paralleling George Washington Way (Richland, WA)

• Little Badger Mountain (Richland, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    TotemLake
    :

• Verification of and additional data for National Forest Road 2735 (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    dsvaughn
    :

• Additional data on the Hansville (WA) Greenway and Community Trails, including the Buck Lake Trail and the Greenway Trail

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    LandRover
    :

• Several trails in Dash Point State Park (Federal Way, WA)

[*]
    Data courtesy of
    JustMike
    :

• Trails in Oswald West State Park (near Nehalem, OR)

I just wanted to pop in and thank you all for your hard work on this project and for making it available to all of us. We are a family of urban couch potatoes who are now planning some caches that we would not have otherwise looked at twice- having a map for some of the local trails have given us the confidence to head out with our little troupe of Babyblocks. Even though we are never going to acheive the high numbers of many cachers, we are looking forward to more "trompin' in the woods" this year!

Julie for team Buildingblocks

Jon and Julie

BB#1 18yo

BB#2 11yo

BB#3 10yo

BB#4 8yo

BB#5 6yo

I just wanted to pop in and thank you all for your hard work on this project and for making it available to all of us. We are a family of urban couch potatoes who are now planning some caches that we would not have otherwise looked at twice- having a map for some of the local trails have given us the confidence to head out with our little troupe of Babyblocks. Even though we are never going to acheive the high numbers of many cachers, we are looking forward to more "trompin' in the woods" this year!

Jon and Julie

BB#1 18yo

BB#2 11yo

BB#3 10yo

BB#4 8yo

BB#5 6yo

Wow, very cool! :)

Jon and Julie

BB#1 18yo

BB#2 11yo

BB#3 10yo

BB#4 8yo

BB#5 6yo

Wow, very cool! :)

Jon and Julie

BB#1 18yo

BB#2 11yo

BB#3 10yo

BB#4 8yo

BB#5 6yo

That's wonderful!

Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but is there a direct link to upload data? I cannot attach a file through the board emailer app, so if you want to message me, Moun10Bike, I can reply to that mail with the .gpx file.

Its just a small set of trails in a nature park in Abbotsford, B.C. collected with a Colorado, on 4 separate occasions, manually averaged in mapsource.