The Northwest Trails Project

Moun10Bike

Your hard work is much appreciated.. donation sent - and I highly encourage others to do so - either logs, or cash ;)

Same here - donation sent.

It's interesting to be out on some of these trails, and to meet people who ask - 'how do I get to...?' and be able to look at the GPSr and answer them. It amazes me that people travel some of these trails with no maps, no GPSr or compass, no idea which way they are heading...

Northwest Trails v1.21 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. The changes in this build are:

• Added data obtained from LocalHikes.com:
    • Glacier Basin Trail (near Monte Cristo, WA)

[*]Added trails, roads, and some area features for the McDonald Forest (near Corvallis, OR) from data available at the OSU College Forests GIS page and aerial imagery

[*]Added GPS data for The Wigwams Trail (near Priest Lake, ID)

[*]Added GPS data for the Route of the Hiawatha (near Lookout Pass, ID and MT)

[*]Added Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes from aerial imagery and maps (Plummer, ID to Mullan, ID)

[*]Added Columbia Plateau Trail from aerial imagery and maps (Spokane, WA to near Sprague, WA)

[*]Incorporated additional snowmobile trails and information for Washington from data available at GPSSledMaps.com

[*]Added custom line type for ungroomed snowmobile trails (blue-green broken line) and separated existing snowmobile trails into groomed and ungroomed where known

[*]Adjusted attribution on several known motorcycle/ORV trails so that they display as motorized trails in the mapset

[*]Data courtesy of runhills:

• Index Town Wall Trail (Index, WA)
    • Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm Trails (North Cascades National Park, WA)
    • Iron Goat Access Trail (near Scenic, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of snowghost:

• Additional High Drive Parkway trails (Spokane, WA)
    • Additional data for Hermits Hollow Trail at Schweitzer Mountain Resort (near Sandpoint, ID)

[*]Data courtesy of dsvaughn:

• Fall City Park West trail (Fall City, WA)
    • Buck Lake trails (near Hansville, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of MarcusArelius:

• Refinement of the Granite Mountain Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Additional data for the route up Guye Peak (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Refinement of the Dirty Harry Trail (near North Bend, WA)
    • Additional data for the Rattlesnake Mountain Trail (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of EraSeek:

• Trail in Donald Montfort Park (Blaine, WA)
    • Zell Road DNR trails (near Ferndale, WA)
    • Lake Gardiner Trail (Ferndale, WA)
    • Additional trails and roads adjacent to the Lowell Riverside Trail (Everett, WA)
    • John Wayne (Iron Horse) Trail east of Boylston (WA)

[*]Data courtesy of monkey360:

• Boundary Trail, Chewuch Trail, Cathedral Driveway Trail (Okanogan National Forest, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of oleruns:

• Trails in Earthquake Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Hanging Lake Valley Trail (near Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of lucyandrickie:

• John Wayne (Iron Horse) Trail east of Boylston (WA)
    • Smithbrook Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and trails around Lake Valhalla (Stevens Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Prying Pandora:

• Smithbrook Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and trails around Lake Valhalla (Stevens Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Princess Lisa:

• South Woods Park (Shoreline, WA)
    • Cedar Grove Nature Trail (Everett, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of The Jester:

• Oregon Trail Museum trails (near Baker City, OR)
    • Road to Juniper Dunes (near Tri-Cities, WA)
    • Additional Lake Sawyer trails (Black Diamond, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Tibby's People:

• Additional data for the Lowell Riverside Trail area (Everett, WA)
    • Norway Hill Park trails (Kingsgate, WA)
    • Greenspace trail near May Creek Park between Newcastle, WA and Renton, WA

[*]Data courtesy of Bill Davis:

• High Lakes Trail from Snow Lake to Wildcat Lakes (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of thebudman:

• Additional data for Dishman Hills Natural Area (Spokane, WA)

Northwest Trails v1.22 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. The changes in this build are:

• Added GPS data for Round Mountain Trail and a portion of Nason Ridge Trail near Round Mountain (near Lake Wenatchee, WA)
  • Data courtesy of Dwoodford:
    • Jenkins Creek Park (Covington, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of MtnMutt:

• Additional data for the route up Mount Washington (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Raman Sarin:

• Additional trails in St. Edward State Park and Big Finn Hill Park (Juanita, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of klossner:

• Additional data and corrections for the Fanno Creek Trail (Beaverton and Tigard, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of Tibby's People:

• Additional trail and corrections in Squak Mountain State Park (near Issaquah, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of OldBaldEagle:

• Minor trail leading up Denny Mountain from Alpental (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

• Additional Lake Sawyer trails (Black Diamond, WA)

• Refinement of the Source Lake Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Refinement of the Pacific Crest Trail north from Snoqualmie Pass (WA) to the Kendall Katwalk

[*]Data courtesy of Rick Zitzmann:

• Deception Pass Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and Cathedral Pass Trail near Salmon La Sac, WA

• Verification and additional data for the Tonga Ridge and Mt. Sawyer Trails (near Stevens Pass, WA)
    • Verification and additional data for Wallace Falls (near Goldbar, WA)

• Bainbridge Island Trails: Kingston Park, Indianola Park, Indianola Beach, Squamish Nature Preserve, a public beach access trail, West Port Madison Nature Preserve Trails, Bainbridge Island Nature Trail

[*]Data courtesy of nolenator:

• Leadbetter Point State Park (Long Beach, WA)
    • Portion of the Westwind Trail at Cape Disappointment (WA)
    • University of Washington Nature Preserve (Seattle, WA)

• John Wayne (Iron Horse) Trail west from Huntzinger Road (WA)
    • Kasch Park (Everett, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Allanon:

• Additional verification of the Burroughs Mountain Loop at Sunrise on Mt. Rainier (WA)
    • Additional data and verification of Smithbrook Trail, Pacific Crest Trail, and trails around Lake Valhalla (Stevens Pass, WA)
    • Meerkerk Rhododendron Gardens (Whidbey Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of hydnsek:

• Steel Bridge View Trail (South Fork Skokomish River, WA)
    • Hoffstadt Creek Trail (Mt. St. Helens, WA)
    • Signal Peak Road (Mt. St. Helens, WA)
    • Clark Beach Park (Mercer Island, WA)
    • A portion of the Pack Forest road and trail network (near Eatonville, WA)
    • Additional data and verification of trails in Ridgefield National Wildlife Refuge (Ridgefield, WA)
    • Tumwater Falls Park (Tumwater, WA)
    • Verification of the Burnt Bridge Creek Trail (Vancouver, WA)
    • Johnson Farm (Anderson Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of bazzle:

• Wapato Access Greenway (near Portland, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of FLYRFN:

• New trail in Kincaid Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Correction of a portion of the Northern Lights Blvd. Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Willow Fishhook Rd. ATV trails (near Wasilla, AK)
    • Butte ATV trails (Butte, AK)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of intolerable:

• Section of unmarked trail leading out of the Mount Margaret Trailhead lot (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Meadowbrook Farms Elk Trail (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of AndrewRJ:

• Beaver Lake area trails south of Section 36 (Sammamish, WA)
    • Additional Snoqualmie Ridge trail (WA)
    • Unpaved road in Issaquah (WA)
    • Trails in the Ring Forest near Redmond Ridge (WA)
    • Verification of Road 9702 up to red Top Mountain (near Blewett Pass, WA)

With special thanks to Moun10Bike and all of the contributors of the trails, the NW Trails Project is now in Delorme an1 format. Some points you need to be aware of when using this file:

• This is an 80MB file in 30MB compressed format. I'll be watching my bandwidth usage. The location of this file may change so bookmark the page, not the file.
  • This file was converted from GPX format to ani using GPSBabel, then renamed to an1.There is no differentiation between road and trail.
  • The lines are very fat. I'm working on a solution to narrow them down without having to do them one at a time.
  • Copy the zip file to a safe directory, then extract it and import it as a Draw File. You may have to select View All Files to see it for import.
  • Specific waypoints such as trailheads, campsites, parking, are currently all red flags. I'm working on how to convert these to the appropriate symbol.
  • Cache locations are not included. You need to have a little challenge.
  • And I'm including Moun10Bike's disclaimer:

These maps are to be used for reference purposes only. The author(s) are not responsible for any inaccuracies and no responsibility is assumed for damages or other liabilities due to the accuracy, availability, use or misuse of the data presented. Installation and use of these maps is at your own risk!

I'll be watching my bandwidth usage.

If bandwidth becomes an issue and you need a place to mirror, drop me a line, I'd be more than happy to help.

Thanks! I do have other resources. I think in order for the bandwidth to become an issue there would have to be over 5,000 downloads in one month to interfere with my everday Internet life. :)

With special thanks to Moun10Bike and all of the contributors of the trails, the NW Trails Project is now in Delorme an1 format. Some points you need to be aware of when using this file:

• This is an 80MB file in 30MB compressed format. I'll be watching my bandwidth usage. The location of this file may change so bookmark the page, not the file.
  • This file was converted from GPX format to ani using GPSBabel, then renamed to an1.There is no differentiation between road and trail.
  • The lines are very fat. I'm working on a solution to narrow them down without having to do them one at a time.
  • Copy the zip file to a safe directory, then extract it and import it as a Draw File. You may have to select View All Files to see it for import.
  • Specific waypoints such as trailheads, campsites, parking, are currently all red flags. I'm working on how to convert these to the appropriate symbol.
  • Cache locations are not included. You need to have a little challenge.
  • And I'm including Moun10Bike's disclaimer:

These maps are to be used for reference purposes only. The author(s) are not responsible for any inaccuracies and no responsibility is assumed for damages or other liabilities due to the accuracy, availability, use or misuse of the data presented. Installation and use of these maps is at your own risk!

Nice job TotemLake! :) I've been wanting the ability to view these in StreetAtlas and print the streets, trails & caches together.

248d249c-2d6e-458c-a100-71b6aad7f72f.jpg

The trails wouldn't load on my laptop with a half gig of ram, so I was forced :) to upgrade to 2 gig.

Northwest Trails v1.23 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. The changes in this build are:

• Added GPS data for some short offshoots to the Klahanie Equestrian Trail (Issaquah, WA)
  • Added trails of Lincoln Park (Spokane, WA) from aerial imagery
  • Added additional trails and details for Big Finn Hill Park (Juanita, WA)
  • Adjusted and verified the Juanita Heights Park Loop Trail (Juanita, WA) using GPS data
  • Adjusted and verified trails in Blyth Park (Bothell, WA) using GPS data
  • Used USGS topo maps and a bit of aerial imagery to vastly improve the accuracy and resolution of trails in the Camp Sheppard area off Highway 410 near Greenwater (WA), including the Dalles Ridge, Palisades, Ranger Creek, Deep Creek, Snoquera Falls, White River, Skookum Flats, Noble Knob, and Suntop Trails
  • Corrections and additions to the Columbia Plateau and Fish Lake Trails (WA) courtesy of shutle64
  • Added significant portions of the Columbia Plateau and John Wayne Pioneer Trails from aerial imagery and topographic maps (WA)
  • Refined the Bill Chapman Palouse Trail using aerial imagery (Pullman, WA) and extended it east to its terminus in Moscow, ID
  • Updated the Bear Creek Arm of the Redmond Town Center Trail using GPS data and aerial imagery (Redmond, WA)
  • Added data for trails in the Westport (WA) area using aerial imagery as well as some waypoints supplied by the City of Westport. This data came courtesy of TeamIDFC, who initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous city governments requesting GIS data.
  • Data courtesy of lucyandrickie:
    • Portions of the Cooper River and Polallie Ridge Trails (Salmon la Sac, WA)
    • Deception Pass Trail from Cathedral Pass up past Hyas Lake (near Salmon la Sac, WA)
    • Lake Lillian (Mt. Margaret) Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Snowmobile trails (forest roads) around Stampede Pass, WA

[*]Data courtesy of FunnyNose:

• Longfellow Creek trails (Seattle, WA)
    • Stairs between 18th and 21st Ave. SW (Seattle, WA)
    • Additional data and verification of Cedar Grove Nature Trail (Everett, WA)
    • Ravenna Park (Seattle, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Rick Martin:

• Summit Lake Trail and Summit Lake Spur Trail (near Greenwater, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Lightning Jeff:

• Trail on state land west of Crystal Lake (Woodinville, WA)

• A portion of the Lincoln Park trails (Spokane, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of intolerable:

• Loss of a portion of the Mount Teneriffe Trail to logging road (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Allanon:

• A portion of the Tomyhoi Lake and Yellow Aster Butte Trails (Mt. Baker Wilderness, WA)

• Confirmation of and additional data for Viewpoint Nature Park (Bellevue, WA)
    • Trails branching off from the Cedar River Trail near I-405 and Riverside Park (Renton, WA)
    • Cascade Park trails (Renton, WA)
    • Iron Goat Trail (near Stevens Pass, WA)

• Nature Trails Park (Normandy Park, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Kent Okeson:

• Hertz Trail (Lake Whatcom, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Brian Novak:

• Richmond Nature Park (Richmond, BC)

Northwest Trails v1.24 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. The changes in this build are:

• Added GPS data for most of the trails of Wallace Swamp Creek Park (Kenmore, WA)
  • Added GPS data for Forest Road 7174, most of the Noble Knob Trail, a portion of the Dalles Ridge Trail, and all of The Palisades Trail (near Greenwater, WA)
  • Added GPS data for the complete trail system on state land west of Crystal Lake (Woodinville, WA)
  • Added GIS data for Hydro Park Trail and improved data for the eastern portion of the Apple Capitol Recreation Loop Trail in East Wenatchee, WA from data available from Douglas County (many thanks to Ben at Redtrails.com for directing me to this data)
  • Added section of the Coal Mines trail from Roslyn to Ronald (WA) from aerial imagery
  • Revised several of the snowmobile trails near Lake Kachess and Lake Kecheelus with GPS data
  • Removed portions of the Iditarod Trail south of Knik, AK thanks to information from oleruns
  • Removed a portion of the John Wayne Trail where it is wiped out by the Central Washington University campus (Ellensburg, WA) as pointed out by Dwoodford
  • Added GPS data courtesy of intolerable:
    • Additional roads and trail in Snoqualmie Point Park (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of Raman Sarin:

• Additional refinement of and verification for the Northwest Timber and Iverson Railroad Trails on Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)
    • Additional refinement of, verification for and trails at Tokul West (near Fall City, WA)
    • Additional refinement of, verification for and trails at Tolt-MacDonald Park (Carnation, WA)

• Massive overhaul (improved data and additional trails) for Des Moines creek Park (South SeaTac Park) (Des Moines, WA)
    • Additional trails and verification for Bothell Landing (Bothell, WA)
    • Western half of the Iron Goat Trail (near Stevens Pass, WA)
    • Additional roads branching off from the Lake Desire/Spring Lake trail network (Renton, WA)
    • Additional trails in the Soos Creek Trail system (Kent, WA)
    • Trails in Boulevard Lane Park (Kent, WA)
    • Refinement of trails at Totem Lake (Kirkland, WA)
    • Unnamed trails starting near the intersection of NE 55th St and 106th Ave NE in Kirkland, WA

• Most of the Noble Knob Trail, a portion of the Dalles Ridge Trail, and all of The Palisades Trail (near Greenwater, WA)

• Most of the Noble Knob Trail, a portion of the Dalles Ridge Trail, and all of The Palisades Trail (near Greenwater, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Dwoodford:

• Irene Rhinehart Park (Ellensburg, WA)
    • McElroy Park (Ellensburg, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Princess Lisa:

• Horizon View Park (Lake Forest Park, WA)
    • Dosewallips State Park (Hood Canal, WA)
    • Unnamed trail and trailhead near Gardiner, WA

[*]Data courtesy of Darhl Thomason:

• Ramona Falls Loop (near Mount Hood, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of Ben at Redtrails.com:

• Dry Hills Mountain Bike Park (near Port Angeles, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of brewermd:

• Watson Lake and Anderson Lakes Trails (near Baker Lake, WA)
    • Harts Pass and Tamarack Peak (near Mazama, WA)
    • Oyster Dome (near Bellingham, WA)
    • Skyline Divide Trail (near Glacier, WA)
    • Hannegan Pass Trail (near Mount Baker, WA)
    • Ptarmigan Ridge Trail (near Mount Baker, WA)
    • Park Butte Trail and a portion of the Scott Paul Trail (near Baker Lake, WA)
    • A portion of the Tomyhoi Lake and Yellow Aster Butte Trails (Mt. Baker Wilderness, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of dsvaughn:

• Don Todd Nature Trail (near Kingston, WA)
    • Trails near the Kingston Ferry Terminal (WA)
    • An additional section of the Koh Trail in Wilburton Park (Bellevue, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of LindaLu:

• Additional Point Defiance trails (Tacoma, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of ruck:

• Clear Creek Trail (Silverdale, WA)

• John Wayne (Iron Horse) Trail from Boylston Trailhead east to Cheviot (WA)

• Norwood Village Park trails (Bellevue, WA)
    • Confirmation of removal of a spur of trail off the Upper Viewpoint Trail (Bellevue, WA)
    • A portion of the Noble Knob Trail and area waypoints (near Greenwater, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of jholly:

• Additional roads and trails on Pope Resources land (near Port Gamble, WA)

• Additional data for Lake Serene Trail as well as Bridal Veil Falls (near Index, WA)

• Lennox Creek (Anderson Lake) Trail (North Fork Snoqualmie, WA)
    • Abandoned roads (minor trails) leading off of the Taylor River Trail (near North Bend, WA)

Northwest Trails v1.25 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. An additional format for DeLorme products (.an1 files) has been added for the first time.

The changes in this build are:

• Added GPS data for the access road to the western end of the eastern section of the Tolt Pipeline Trail (near Duvall, WA)
  • Added GPS data for a portion of the 188th Ave. Trail in Bellevue, WA
  • Added GPS data for most of the trail system on DNR land adjacent to Shelton View Elementary School in Bothell, WA
  • Added roads up the west side of Antoine Peak using GPS data from EveryTrail.com and aerial imagery (near Spokane Valley, WA)
  • Added trails and roads of the Iller Creek Conservation Area (near Spokane, WA) using GPS data from EveryTrail.com, aerial imagery, and Spokane County
  • Made some minor adjustments to trails at Bob Heirman Wildlife Park (near Snohomish, WA)
  • Made some minor adjustments to the Woodridge Loop and McTavish Trails (Bellevue, WA)
  • Data courtesy of Rick Martin:
    • Coundly Lake Boot Trail (Clearwater Wilderness, WA)
    • Cedar Lake Boot Trail (Clearwater Wilderness, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of intolerable:

• A portion of the trails in Orangegate Park (Puyallup, WA)

• John Wayne Trailheads in Ellensburg, WA
    • Carrey Lakes Park (Ellensburg, WA)

• Additional data for the Woodridge Loop and McTavish Trails (Bellevue, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of jholly:

• Verification of roads on Pope Resources land (near Port Gamble, WA)
    • Sid Knutson Puget Sound to Hood Canal Trail and Hansville Greenway Trail (near Port Gamble, WA)
    • Roads and trails adjoining the Sid Knutson Puget Sound to Hood Canal Trail (near Port Gamble, WA)

• Additional data on Skagit Delta trails (WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Timothy Barnhart:

• Bare Mountain Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Sunday Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Quartz Creek Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Tinkham Discovery Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Snoqualmie Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Nordrum Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Kaleetan Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Portions of the Melakwa Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Island Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Bandera Mountain Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Hester Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Dingford Creek Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Williams Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Thompson Lake Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Western portion of the Mount Defiance Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • Kendall Lakes Trail (Alpine Lakes Wilderness, WA)
    • A portion of the Middle Fork Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Middle Fork Campground Nature Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Middle Fork Picnic Area Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Dutch Miller Gap Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Franklin Falls Trail and Wagon Road (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • A portion of the Pacific Crest Trail south of I-90 (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Gold Creek and Gold Creek Pond Trails (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Asahel Curtis Picnic Area trails (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Mount Catherine (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • McClellan Butte Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Grass Mountain Trail (near Enumclaw, WA)
    • Divide Trail (near Enumclaw, WA)
    • Christoff Trail (near Enumclaw, WA)
    • A portion of the Skookum Flats Trail (near Greenwater, WA)

• Removal of a couple of incorrect trails in Des Moines Creek Park/South SeaTac Park (Des Moines, WA)
    • Portions of Holder Creek and Ridge Trails along with additional trails and data confirmation in the Taylor Mountain area (near Hobart, WA)
    • Additional length of the Cedar River Pipeline Trail (Renton, WA)
    • May Valley Park trail system (Renton, WA)
    • Coalfield Park Trail (Renton, WA)
    • Kiwanis Park trails (Renton, WA)
    • Powerline road adjacent to Kiwanis Park (Renton, WA)
    • Paved trail near Windsor Hills Park (Renton, WA)
    • S.P.U. dirt road near Lake Youngs (Renton, WA)
    • S.P.U. dirt road and adjacent trails near Fred Nelson Middle School (Renton, WA)
    • Adjustments to some Lake Sawyer Trails (Black Diamond, WA)
    • Weyerhaeuser tree farm near Yelm, WA

• AM-PM Beach Trail (Lake Whatcom, WA)
    • Strawberry Hill Trail (near La Conner, WA)
    • Additional data on Skagit Delta trails (WA)
    • Confirmation and adjustment of a portion of the Old Government Trail (Barlow Pass, WA)
    • Barlow Point Trail (Barlow Pass, WA)
    • Initial leg of the Little Kachess Trail (Lake Kachess, WA)
    • Revision of several of the snowmobile trails (forest roads) near Lake Kachess and Lake Kecheelus (WA)

An additional format for DeLorme products (.an1 files) has been added for the first time.

Very cool. The file size is a lot smaller than the GPX size indicated. :P

Edited to add totemlake.org is now live and it has the Delorme layers broken out by State on the downloads page. As M10B pushes the updates (great job by the way), I'll upload the Delorme layers there.

Edited by TotemLake

Has anyone tried adding Northwest Trails to the NUVI 500 or Oregon T?

Was it a success? How did you go about it?

I load Northwest Trails on both my Oregon 400T and my Nuvi 760, with no problems.

On the 400T, you have the 100k topo basemap pre-loaded. (I also have the Washington/Oregon 24k topo product installed on a microSD card.) On my Mac, I use MapInstall to load Northwest Trails to the Oregon. On a PC, you'd use MapSource. Either way, install directly to the Oregon. You won't overwrite the basemap, as the software will create a new, supplemental map file. (You can load more than one mapset this way - e.g., Northwest Trails and another custom mapset or even City Navigator maps - as long as you have enough memory and load them all at the same time.)

It's basically the same on my Nuvi, and I assume it would work on other Nuvi models as well. It's really cool being able to drive around and see the trails. If you load caches on the Nuvi as POI, this turns it into a great tool for navigating to trailheads. The Oregon is then a great dedicated trail unit.

I think if Jon ever pulled the plug on this project, I'd probably give up caching. (Jon, don't get any ideas.)

Northwest Trails v1.27 has been posted at the usual location at Northwest Trails.

There are some somewhat significant changes beyond the data this time around:

• Updated PC installer package with options for custom line styles that you wish to install (see http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html#features for images of the line types in each set)
  • Selection polygons now match the state shape rather than appearing as overlapping rectangles
  • Data download now available in DeLorme format (.an1), Google Earth format (.kmz), and GPX

Enjoy!

Jon

Version 1.27 (November 26, 2008)

• Map selection polygons in Mapsource were changed from basic overlapping rectangles to polygons that better match the state and province boundaries
  • Map region size (an internal breakdown of the map data not visible to users) was increased in order to accommodate some recent changes in the latest version of cGPSmapper (the utility used to generate the map images). This means that the GPS has to load more data with each draw, potentially leading to slower performance on some older receivers. Feedback on performance would be appreciated, and I can try to further tweak these settings if there are problems.
  • Adjusted display levels of data both in MapSource and on the GPS. Trails now will not appear until you zoom in to the 0.5 mile zoom level or below (default detail), but will display with more precision at intermediate zoom levels. This change was necessitated by additional changes to cGPSmapper. Zoom levels of background maps can no longer overlap the zoom levels of the detail maps as was previously the case. In order to maintain as much of the fidelity of the background map as possible, I reduced the zoom range of the trails.
  • Changed the display styles for all trails to styles that are more visible in a variety of conditions and that are more intuitive (feedback on these is also appreciated!)
  • Changed the setup package to allow user to specify which custom line type styles they prefer. Two different sets are currently available: one that looks better on higher resolution screens like the Colorado and Oregon, and one that looks better on lower resolution screens like the 60 series. See the "Features" section of the Northwest Trails page for details of what the various styles look like.
  • Added license agreement to install package
  • Refined the trails and roads forming the main loop in the Iller Creek Conservation Area from GPS data and added additional offshoots from aerial imagery (near Spokane, WA)
  • Added GPS data for the paved trails at Echo and Wanapum Viewpoints (near Vantage, WA)
  • Added GPS data for a short offshoot trail from the Tolt Pipeline Trail (Woodinville, WA)
  • Added GPS data for a short section of minor trail in the Ring Hill Forest (Woodinville, WA)
  • Corrected attribution of a portion of the Bridal Veil Falls Trail (minor trail to trail) as pointed out by monkey360
  • Data courtesy of The Jester:
    • Cavanaugh Pond Natural Area (Renton, WA)
    • Significant corrections to Des Moines Creek Park/South SeaTac Park (Des Moines, WA)
    • Numerous corrections and additions to Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park, including:
      • Meadow Restoration Trail
      • Adjustments to W2 - Red Town Trail
      • Adjustments to C2 - Red Town Creek Trail
      • Adjustments to C6 - Quarry Trail
      • Correction of misnamed sections of S2 - Shy Bear Trail
      • Correction of misnamed Tax Lot Trail and Military Road Connector to N10 - Primrose Overlook Trail and N11 - Little Creek Trail, and adjustment of same
      • Adjustments to E4 - Wilderness Peak Trail, E5 - Wilderness Cliff Trail, and E6 - Wilderness Creek Trail

[*]Data courtesy of Rick Martin:

• Cascade Junction-Wilkeson spur of the Foothills Trail (near Wilkeson, WA)
    • Wilkeson-Carbonado spur of the Foothills Trail (near Wilkeson, WA)
    • Trail leading down to Wildhorse Lake near Hines, OR
    • Skyline Trail and a portion of the Slide Lake Trail (Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, OR)
    • Old Slide Lake Trail (Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, OR)
    • A portion of the Pine Creek Trail (Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, OR)
    • A portion of the Onion Creek Trail (Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, OR)
    • Summit Trail (Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, OR)
    • Strawberry Twin Basin Trail and a portion of the Strawberry Lake Trail (Strawberry Mountain Wilderness, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of Prying Pandora:

• A section of Maury Island trail (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Additional Lost Lake Trail data (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of FunnyNose:

• Seola Park (Seattle, WA)
    • Pedestrian staircase off of Marine View Drive (Seattle, WA)
    • A section of Maury Island trail (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Additional Lost Lake Trail data (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Westcrest Park (Seattle, WA)
    • White River Trail (near Enumclaw, WA)
    • Removal of paved trails in Salmon Ravine comfirmed to not exist (Burien, WA)
    • Washington Arboretum trails (Seattle, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of Raman Sarin:

• Towers of Power mountain bike trails (near Phillip Arnold Park in Renton, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Forty-n-Eight:

• Corrections and refinements to the McClellan Butte Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

• An undeveloped section of the Centennial Trail near Bryant, WA
    • Additional trails in the Ring Hill Forest (Woodinville, WA)
    • Duckabush Trail (The Brothers Wilderness, WA)

• Trails and roads forming the main loop in the Iller Creek Conservation Area (near Spokane, WA)

• A portion of the trails in Orchards Park (Vancouver, WA)
    • Trails and roads forming the main loop in the Iller Creek Conservation Area (near Spokane, WA)

• Trail of Cedars in Twin Ponds Park (Shoreline, WA)

• Lake Lillian Shortcut Trail and spur trail to Lake Laura (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Lightning Jeff:

• Treefrog Loop Trail in the Redmond Watershed (Redmond, WA)

• Paul Rogers Park (Ellensburg, WA)

• Verification of the Commonwealth Basin Trail (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

Edited by Moun10Bike
Perfect. With the Topo7 I just got with the PN-40, I can import each of the individual gpx files and create a separate layer with the right line style. Considering I have a lot of time on my hands right now, I'll get to work on it this weekend and post the individual layers on my site. Nice work.

Is it actually easier to use the GPX files rather than the .an1 files for this? If so, I can remove the DeLorme data download and free up some of the space on my maxed-out web server! :laughing:

Perfect. With the Topo7 I just got with the PN-40, I can import each of the individual gpx files and create a separate layer with the right line style. Considering I have a lot of time on my hands right now, I'll get to work on it this weekend and post the individual layers on my site. Nice work.

Is it actually easier to use the GPX files rather than the .an1 files for this? If so, I can remove the DeLorme data download and free up some of the space on my maxed-out web server! :laughing:

If it would help, I can host the DeLorme files and you can link to them from your site, as I really appreciate them. I don't know how much work it is for you to produce them, but if you don't mind doing so, I am more than willing to help out that way if you are interested :D

If it would help, I can host the DeLorme files and you can link to them from your site, as I really appreciate them. I don't know how much work it is for you to produce them, but if you don't mind doing so, I am more than willing to help out that way if you are interested :laughing:

I may need to take you up on that! I'm very near the limit of my site, enough that I need to watch if the mapset expands much or I add any new maps. I'm trying to avoid ponying up for more space; maybe a switch to a provider that offers more is in store.

If it would help, I can host the DeLorme files and you can link to them from your site, as I really appreciate them. I don't know how much work it is for you to produce them, but if you don't mind doing so, I am more than willing to help out that way if you are interested :D

I may need to take you up on that! I'm very near the limit of my site, enough that I need to watch if the mapset expands much or I add any new maps. I'm trying to avoid ponying up for more space; maybe a switch to a provider that offers more is in store.

Just let me know, especially as I figure you personally probably don't use the DeLorme files :laughing: I'd hate to see them go if you didn't mind building the files.

My new website (totemlake.org) has plenty of space now and no size restrictions. I can easily host the layers as provided and the gpx files too along with the modified layers as provided through the gpx translations. I'll get the site updated this weekend.

M10B, we can do file transfers like we did when we first experimented. Those permissions haven't been taken away and I'm experimenting with providing an ftp capability so all I have to do is point to one location. I think the gpx files are easier to use but I'll know more tomorrow (today is kind of out until sometime tonight) as I want to be sure I can dictate line style on import. I downloaded all the layers and gpx files you provided and I will be posting them Friday for availability.

Intolerable, as far as I'm concerned the layers are here to stay. They are valuable to me and I enjoy sharing.

Edited by TotemLake

Confirmed I can take the GPX layers you created and dictate line types. I will set about by using the same line definitions you used and create an1 layers for each and then upload them to my site. I will advise when this is done not later than Friday evening.

M10B, if it makes it easier for you, I can host the gpx, kmz and an1 layers. I also have plenty of space to host other formats when it comes up.

Edited by TotemLake

Ok - This is doable and I'm going to have to build a script to make it work because it is a lot of effort for backwards compatability.

I spent 5 hours jsut for Washington State, importing all of the trails and roads, and most of the POI's that had relevance and didn't have a Delorme symbol. I then have to save it as track data TXT file from Topo7 to make it backwards compatable to previous Delorme versions. The T7 AN1 format is not backwards compatable. This is doable, but the process was exceedingly manual. Click to line style, select line weight, color and style, then click back to import the gpx file (which involves three more clicks), wait for the import process very dependent upon file size, back click to the line style to setup the next import, etc.

Team Delorme, if you're monitoring, a friendlier user interface for this kind of work would make an incredible difference. Perhaps the same line/waypoint style and weight controls at the import dialog? I'll post this on the Delorme forums too.

Interestingly, M10B, the T7 exports the data out to the GPX file with all the info you tried to enter into the GPX export from Mapsource. I'll email you the difference in the tags for each layer. Maybe you can do something with that.

=-=-edited for clarity-=-=

-=-=edited to add=-=-

The beauty of your exports is the Delorme layers are coming out much clearer for the earlier versions. The overlaps can't be separated but this is usable for those that want one file to work with. I'm going to upload all of the files and let folks have their choice. A 31 flavors kind of thing. :)

-=-=edited to add=-=-

Current work is uploaded. More to come.

Edited by TotemLake

T7 doesn't export to an1 that is backwards compatible. What I did then, was export each separate track to a text file that is adentifiable as a track to Delorme. Previous version track users can import the ones they want after ensuring they set their line weights to there preferences. Symbols were also exported to txt. I also saved a full set of an1 in T7 forrmat with the exception of Montana's main track layer. For some reason, T7 kept barfing on the import/export. This is in txt format. There are custom symbols for some of the symbol layers M10B created. Those symbols are included in the Delorme sets.

http://www.delorme.org/downloads.htm

First of all, thank you, TL, for all of your hard work getting the DeLorme data put together.

Secondly, I have pulled the GPX, GE, and DeLorme downloads from the web site. :D This comes after an email from Redtrails.com stating that they are unhappy with me for posting this data. They provided a big chunk of my data back in July and feel like their hard work is being given away for free by my having done this. That data was all from public sources originally, and I have been in regular contact with them all through this project, so I foresaw no issues here. This problem comes on the heels of an email from an individual angry that I had posted some data in an area under threat of closure by the land owner (the Tokul area near Fall City, which is owned by Hancock Corp., a logging company), so I am understandably a bit worn down by these recent conflicts.

I will be working with Redtrails.com to restore availability of this data in other forms as soon as possible, but for now I have pulled the data as a show of good faith to them.

Thanks for your understanding and patience,

Jon

First of all, thank you, TL, for all of your hard work getting the DeLorme data put together.

Secondly, I have pulled the GPX, GE, and DeLorme downloads from the web site. :D This comes after an email from Redtrails.com stating that they are unhappy with me for posting this data. They provided a big chunk of my data back in July and feel like their hard work is being given away for free by my having done this. That data was all from public sources originally, and I have been in regular contact with them all through this project, so I foresaw no issues here. This problem comes on the heels of an email from an individual angry that I had posted some data in an area under threat of closure by the land owner (the Tokul area near Fall City, which is owned by Hancock Corp., a logging company), so I am understandably a bit worn down by these recent conflicts.

I will be working with Redtrails.com to restore availability of this data in other forms as soon as possible, but for now I have pulled the data as a show of good faith to them.

Jon

Well stuff happens. I'll get it pulled tonight after I watch a movie with my wife.

Edited by TotemLake

Jon

Jon

That really sucks to hear. Your trails were absolutly top of the line. Got to ask. What do the maps look like if you took their data out? Probibly at this point there is no way to separate them but I was curious if you had an idea.

Jon

Jon

That really sucks to hear. Your trails were absolutly top of the line. Got to ask. What do the maps look like if you took their data out? Probibly at this point there is no way to separate them but I was curious if you had an idea.

Jon hasn't pulled down the primary NWT downloads for PC and Mac. Only the extra file types/data, if I understand correctly. At least, the downloads are still up as I type....

hydnsek is correct: the Garmin mapset for Northwest Trails remains available. It is only the bulk data downloads that I have pulled (and which have only been available since this last build - two builds for the DeLorme data).

Our solution to avoiding problems like this in the future is for you to get out there and map all of the trails with GPS so we are not relying on any other sources! :D

Our solution to avoiding problems like this in the future is for you to get out there and map all of the trails with GPS so we are not relying on any other sources! ;)

One can't argue with that logic :unsure:

After I confirm the PN40's capability to hold a good track against other known tracks, I can send to you in GPX format for your data comparison and possible inclusion.

Our solution to avoiding problems like this in the future is for you to get out there and map all of the trails with GPS so we are not relying on any other sources! ;)

After I confirm the PN40's capability to hold a good track against other known tracks, I can send to you in GPX format for your data comparison and possible inclusion.

Sweet!!

I should have my PN-40 in hand tomorrow! :yikes:

Sweet!!

I should have my PN-40 in hand tomorrow! :yikes:

Very cool. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

With the wonderful help of red90, I may (and I have to emphasize may) have the Magellan solution ready. Are there any volunteers with Magellan units ready and willing to give it a try?

I have converted the Washington trails only at this point and have them available for download and install on the web site. There is a version for the Explorist models and one for older models. Taking the instructions from red90's Calgary Area Trail Mapping Project:

a)
Installation to Magellan Explorist Receivers

i) Download
NWT_WA_Magellan_Explorist.zip
and unzip the NWT_WA.imi file.

ii) Copy the NWT_WA.imi file to the SD card on the unit via a card reader or through the USB Mass Transfer mode on the GPS.

B)

Installation to Magellan Receivers (Non-Explorist Models)

i) Download
NWT_WA_Magellan_Old.zip
and unzip the NWT_WA.img file.

ii) Download and extract
uploadGPSserial.zip

iii) Run uploadGPSserial.exe and upload the map file downloaded in step i). Alternatively, copy the file to the SD card using a card reader.

Please let me know the results (including any feedback on how things look on the GPS, etc.)!

Edited by Moun10Bike

First of all THANK YOU!!!!

I loaded them as described into my Explorist 600. No issues.

I looked around at the trails I'm most familiar with and everything looked good. The appearance on the gps is either a dashed trail or a solid line, both black. I did not see any other type of line or color. Not sure what the difference is yet, but will continue to look.

I just wish I had some time now to actually use the loaded trails, I hope to get out after the holidays to check them out for real!

Thanks again!

I looked around at the trails I'm most familiar with and everything looked good. The appearance on the gps is either a dashed trail or a solid line, both black. I did not see any other type of line or color. Not sure what the difference is yet, but will continue to look.

I just wish I had some time now to actually use the loaded trails, I hope to get out after the holidays to check them out for real!

Thanks again!

So much for converting jcar over to Garmin... :D:laughing:

Thanks again!

Thank you for testing! Okay, it looks like the defaults colors and patterns for trails and roads are what are appearing. One of the applications used in the byzantine creation of Magellan maps crashes when I add too many custom line types, so I went with the pre-created standard types used for things like paved roads, unpaved roads and trails. Other items like snow trails, snowmobile trails, and motorcycle trails I created using colored custom types. Without seeing a Magellan running NWT in front of me, I have no idea how this looks. So, for you Magellan users out there, what do you think is preferable:

1. Keep the line styles as they currently are
  2. Move all NWT trails into custom types and make them colored similar to what Garmin users see, but combine different types to minimize the number of customs and thus the crashing. For example:

1. Trails (trails, snow trails, motorized trails, paved trails, all snow and summer trails)
    2. Snowmobile Trails (groomed and ungroomed)
    3. Unpaved Roads
    4. Minor Trails
    5. [*]Drop snowmobile and possibily snow trails entirely and create customs for the other types

[*]Something else

Let me know what you think. Once I have the line types nailed down, I will generate Magellan data for all of the maps in the mapset and make it available.

Dwooford, the size of the img is 2.5MB.

M10B, on the Meridian; all of the trails work as lines or dots or dashes and are clearly visible when i drop down to .4 mile resolution.

The biggest issue I see with this, and that's only because I rely on it, is I lose the ability to use the basemap image with all the topo. I personally wouldn't use the trails image if I had to give up my topo.

As a side note: I hadn't realized how much I was tolerating the aged GPS. It's very slow. It was frustrating trying to scroll the screen and wait for the refresh to catch up. I was due for the replacement.

To answer your questions though. It's difficult to tell which is a hiking trail and which is snowmobile. The limitations are pretty severe on the grey pattern mode. I'm not too certain how useful the snowmobile tracks are in this situation if they can't be separated from the group.

Edited by TotemLake