The Northwest Trails Project

Moun10Bike

I was able to save Washington State to an .mp using unregistered MapEdit. I was examining the Norway Pass trail at Mt. St. Helens. When I import it into GM9, I see what appear to be multiple jagged tracklogs rather than the single smooth trail shapes I see in MapSource. Any tips would be appreciated.

I just tried the same using my registered version of GPSMapEdit (v1.0.44.3) and didn't get exactly what you did, but still had some unexplained results opening in GM9.03 (like each trail displaying three times with slightly different positioning on each one). You might try exporting to an intermediate format (I've used MapInfo Interchange successfully in the past) and then opening that in GM. You might also want to try PTxt2Shp to extract the data direct to shapefiles.

Also, does this project, or one you are aware of extend to Utah? I've got some tracklogs for Canyonlands, Arches, and Escalante Grand Staircase.

No, this project doesn't cover Utah and I am not currently aware of a trail mapping project for Utah. I'm actually debating cutting back on coverage for Northwest Trails in order to better focus on areas I can effectively manage, and because some areas just lack reasonably accurate data that is easily obtained without more participation from locals or a letter writing campaign to every government body GIS department.

I was able to save Washington State to an .mp using unregistered MapEdit. I was examining the Norway Pass trail at Mt. St. Helens. When I import it into GM9, I see what appear to be multiple jagged tracklogs rather than the single smooth trail shapes I see in MapSource. Any tips would be appreciated.

I just tried the same using my registered version of GPSMapEdit (v1.0.44.3) and didn't get exactly what you did, but still had some unexplained results opening in GM9.03 (like each trail displaying three times with slightly different positioning on each one). You might try exporting to an intermediate format (I've used MapInfo Interchange successfully in the past) and then opening that in GM. You might also want to try PTxt2Shp to extract the data direct to shapefiles.

Also, does this project, or one you are aware of extend to Utah? I've got some tracklogs for Canyonlands, Arches, and Escalante Grand Staircase.

No, this project doesn't cover Utah and I am not currently aware of a trail mapping project for Utah. I'm actually debating cutting back on coverage for Northwest Trails in order to better focus on areas I can effectively manage, and because some areas just lack reasonably accurate data that is easily obtained without more participation from locals or a letter writing campaign to every government body GIS department.

Thanks for the data, the advice, and the links.

Northwest Trails v1.12 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page.

The biggest change this time around was a massive bit of housecleaning. I was getting more and more discouraged by the FSGeodata Clearinghouse data, which had a few nuggets of goodness but overall was full of obsolete and irrelevant data. This past week shutle64 sent me a link to Bureau of Land Management GIS data for all of Washington and Oregon, and the availability of this data is what triggered me to do the housecleaning.

The BLM data is in many ways similar to the FSGeodata in that it incorporates data collected from a variety of sources (including outdated DLGs from the USGS) and lacks attribution to distinguish a trail from a road, but it is better in that it is slightly more accurate (as far as I could tell from small samplings of data) and covers all of the states of Washington and Oregon (I haven't been able to find comprehensive BLM data for the other states), not just Forest Service land. Because it is still questionable data, I tried to limit its inclusion as much as possible, instead using it to flesh out areas for which we do not have better data and to replace existing FSGeodata.

Here's the full change list:

• Did a wholesale housecleaning of obsolete trail data by removing FSGeodata Clearinghouse data and adding Bureau of Land Management data (thanks to shutle64 for directing me to it) where switch-out was appropriate. Explanation and description of changes:
    • The FSGeodata Clearinghouse data simply has too many inaccuracies and obsolete trails and roads
    • The available BLM data only covers Oregon and Washington
    • The BLM data is also largely obsolete, but is overall more accurate than the FSGeodata and covers all public lands, not just Forest Service and adjacent land
    • FSGeodata and BLM data are our only sources for trails on National Forest land in all of Wyoming and for most of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Wyoming
      • Alaska: Left untouched because there is relatively little FSGeodata and what is in the mapset is fully within the borders of the National Forests
      • Idaho: Pulled all FSGeodata out of National Forests where we have more recent GIS coverage (Idaho Panhandle NF, Kootenai NF) and removed all FSGeodata that was outside of National Forest Boundaries; added BLM data only inside boundaries of those National Forests lacking other coverage
      • Montana: Pulled all FSGeodata out of National Forests where we have more recent GIS coverage (Beaverhead NF, Kaniksu NF, Kootenai NF, Lolo NF) and removed all FSGeodata that was outside of National Forest Boundaries; added BLM data only inside boundaries of those National Forests lacking other coverage
      • Oregon: Ripped out all FSGeodata; added BLM data only inside boundaries of those National Forests lacking other coverage (National Forests in Oregon for which we have more recent GIS data are Malheur NF, Suislaw NF, Umpqua NF and Willamette NF)
      • Washington: Ripped out all FSGeodata; since we have full GIS coverage of National Forests in Washington, I only added in BLM data that I could manually check against maps to confirm was clearly a trail
      • Wyoming: No changes since FSGeodata is all we have at this time

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of MarcusArelius:

• Verification of a portion of the Lake Washington Bike Trail (Bellevue, WA)
    • Verification of the Cedar Butte and Boxley Blowout Trails (near North Bend, WA)
    • New trails and parking areas at Snoqualmie Point Park (near Snoqualmie, WA)
    • Additional roads and trails at Grand Ridge (Issaquah, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of astromarc:

• "Yogi Bear's Forest Trail" and adjacent roads (near Port Hadlock, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of EraSeek:

• Lowell Riverside Trail (Everett, WA)
    • Skagit Delta trails (WA)
    • Thompson Parkway Trail (Anacortes, WA)
    • Cap Sante trail to abandoned amphitheater (Anacortes, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of woodman5898:

• Adjustments to Dry Creek Trail (near Carson, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of B+L:

• Dockton Forest (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of dsvaughn:

• Additional trail data at Ebey Bluff (Whidbey Island, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of Debiko:

• Charbonneau Park (Tri-Cities, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of popop:

• John Topits Park (Coos Bay, OR)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of oleruns:

• Crevasse Moraine to Kepler-Bradley area (Anchorage, AK)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of Forty-n-Eight:

• Route to Hadley Falls (near Verlot, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of Raman Sarin:

• Extension of Freund Canyon Road and adjacent trail (near Leavenworth, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of monkey360:

• Lake Serene Trail (near Index, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of hydnsek:

• Eagle Landing Park (Burien, WA)
    • Highlands Park (Newcastle, WA)
    • Lake Boren Park (Newcastle, WA)
    • Waterline Trail at May Creek (Newcastle, WA)

Edited by Moun10Bike

Thanks for the data, the advice, and the links.

Figured it out. The 4 tracks that appear in GM (and the MP2SHP shape file are 4 different levels. To get the best rendering, I just deleted the top 3 levels.

Thanks again.

I wanted to post a huge THANK YOU to TeamIDFC! He sent letters to dozens of city governments asking them to supply any available GIS data for trails for this project. The data has started coming in and so far these cities have had their data integrated:

• Bellingham:
    Outstanding quality, with over one-eighth having been confirmed by GPS

• Kirkland:
    Excellent quality, on par with the Bellevue data from v1.11; I only removed a few trails that I would describe as "sidewalks"

• Newcastle:
    Mixed quality; I tried to verify what I could with aerial data and corrected, edited or elimiated those trails that seemed to need it. Luckily, hydnsek has submitted verified data for the bulk of the trail system that will appear in the next release!

• Olympia:
    Accurate, but consists of only two parks - Grass Lake Park and Watershed Park

There are other cities in the pipeline as well (along as some, I should mention, that ended up not having the data we need). You will start seeing these fruits of Mike's labor in the next release. Again, THANK YOU TeamIDFC! :D

Northwest Trails v1.13 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page.

Change list:

• Corrected attribution of minor trails in Timberlake Park (Bellevue, WA)
  • Corrected attribution of some trails on and around Cougar Mountain (Bellevue, WA)
  • Incorporated Trans Canada Trail data for British Columbia from data available off of the Trans Canada Trail web site (thanks to canadarideforclimate for pointing out this data to me)
  • Added some new trails from EveryTrail.com:
    • Joffre Lake Trail (near Pemberton, BC)
    • Pacific Spirit Park (Vancouver, BC)
    • Lindeman Lake Trail (near Chilliwack, BC)

[*]Added GIS data for trails from the following cities (all in Washington):

• Bellingham: Outstanding quality, with over one-eighth having been confirmed by GPS
    • Burien: Good quality, but with limited attribution
    • Kent: Good overall quality, some overlap with data received from King County; no surface attribution provided, so I tried my best to match based on aerial imagery
    • Kirkland: Excellent quality, on par with the Bellevue data from v1.11; I only removed a few trails that I would describe as "sidewalks"
    • Mercer Island: Very good quality, with the large majority having been verified by GPS (although a bit rough and unedited in places)
    • Newcastle: Mixed quality; I tried to verify what I could with aerial data and corrected, edited or elimiated those trails that seemed to need it
    • Olympia: Accurate, but consists of only two parks - Grass Lake Park and Watershed Park
      A HUGE thanks to TeamIDFC for initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous city governments asking for GIS data, which resulted in these datasets!

[*]Added GPS data for Thornton Creek Natural Area (Seattle, WA)

[*]Added road data around Fuller Mountain (near North Bend, WA) from aerial imagery

[*]Added to and adjusted some of the Sammamish River Trail and the Town Center Open Space Trail (Redmond, WA)

[*]Added GPS data for Brickyard Road Park (Bothell, WA)

[*]Added GPS data for a reasonably large and apparently unnamed trail system located adjacent to Sunrise Elementary School in Woodinville, WA

[*]Data courtesy of MarcusArelius:

• Verification and adjustment to the Snoqualmie Valley Trail (Duvall-Tokul, WA)
    • verification and additions to the Grand Ridge trail system (Issaquah, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of oleruns:

• Additional trails in the Crevasse Moraine area (Anchorage, AK)
    • UAA Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Elmore Road Trail extension (Anchorage, AK)
    • Bird Ridge Trail (near Anchorage, AK)
    • Anchor Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Removed section of Tudor Road and Muldoon Trails that do not exist (Anchorage, AK)
    • Scenic Park trails (Anchorage, AK)
    • Chugach Foothills Park trails (Anchorage, AK)
    • Some footpaths on the west side of Elmore and Campbell Roads (Anchorage, AK)
    • Bird to Girdwood bike trail (near Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of AndrewRJ:

• Additional trails in the Redmond Ridge area (Redmond, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of RyaGeo:

• Some trail data around the University of Washington (Seattle, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of hydnsek:

• The Newcastle (WA) trail system: May Creek Trail, Waterline Trail, Horse Trail, Cross Town Trail, et al.

[*]Data courtesy of astromarc:

• Old Fort Townsend State Park trails (Port Townsend, WA)
    • Gibbs Lake trails (near Port Hadlock, WA)

[*]Data data courtesy of EraSeek:

• Old Fobes Road River Dike Walk (near Snohomish, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of B+L:

• Wingehaven Park (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Fern Cove (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Lower Shingle Mill Creek Preserve (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Fisher Pond Preserve (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Marjorie R. Stanley Natural Area (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Agren Park (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Lost Lake (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of ruck:

• Banner Forest trails (Banner, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Bob Cromwell:

• Adjustments to Adventure Trail on Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of monkey360:

• 4th of July Creek Trail (near Leavenworth, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of eatoncdb:

• Some additional trails in Liberty Lake County Park (Liberty Lake, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of dsvaughn:

• Additional trail data at Ebey Bluff (Whidbey Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Raman Sarin:

• Additions to and verification of some trails at Whistler (BC)

As Moun10Bike noted, I started emailing municipalities in Washington once I saw the high quality dataset he had picked up for Bellevue. Starting from a list of Washington Cities and Towns (http://www.mrsc.org/byndmrsc/cities.aspx) I worked my way down the list until I had contacted any that had a reasonable chance of having GIS data available. The process is fairly time consuming, so I am only committing to doing Washington state, but I thought I'd write up my process if anyone wants to duplicate it for the other states/cities in the mapset.

1) Find a master list of cities - preferably with website links - and start a document to track status of each (I used an Excel sheet)

2) Navigate to a city website and try to find contact information for (in descending order) for:

- the GIS contact

- the head (typically Director) of the Public Works department (or the Engineering section of Public Works)

- the generic email account for Public Works

- the head of the Parks Department

- the generic email account for Parks Department

- the generic email account for the city

Hints on finding the contact info:

- Start with the "Departments" section and look for Public Works. Often the Director's contact info is front and center

- Look for a generic "Contacts" section

- Use the search function (if there is one) and search on "GIS" or "Engineering"

My trial and error showed that almost all cities that have GIS have that person in the Public Works department, so you want to focus there. I also found after a few dozen cities that many are using a generic template for the website, so your ability to find the contact info get easier.

3) Email that contact with a form letter similar to the one at the end of this message, asking for any GIS data.

4) Handle the responses:

- Larger cities with GIS departments are the easiest, and often just email the data.

- Some cities want you to sign an indemnification, certifying you aren't using the data commercially and won't hold them responsible. I had to do that for 2 cities thus far.

- Some cities wanted to charge for "custom" data. In both cases pleading the not-for-profit nature of the project got the fees waved, as well as telling them we didn't need a specific package - we'd take all the data and let Moun10Bike cut it down.

That looks pretty involved when I write it out, but once I did the 10th city or so I could find a website and get a contact in a few minutes. Cities 10 - 98 didn't take nearly as long. :D Also, I've started on Washington Counties, as they often have data for their trails/parks.

How is it going so far? As of 6/18/08:

- 98 municipalities emailed

- 11 have responded with GIS data

- 9 have responded that they have no GIS data to offer

If anyone decides to take a shot at this for other locations, please post a note to the forum so we don't have multiple people emailing the same city.

-- Mr IDFC

I am contacting you on behalf of the Northwest Trails Project. The NW Trails project is a community effort to collect GPS/GIS data for trails in the Northwest (Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, British Columbia and Alaska) and use that data to create a publicly-available custom mapset that can be uploaded to any map-enabled Garmin GPS. Full details can be found at http://www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_Trails.html.

Background

The efforts started with individuals recording "track" data on their GPS and collecting and converting that data into mapsets. The project leader, Jon Stanley, started with his own collection of tracks and soon solicited the track data of his fellow Geocachers via online forum (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=189072). That led to an effort to get out and map more areas, and the project is now been updated a dozen or more times with new data. The project has also begin incorporated publicly-available data from the BLM, National Parks, and several geo-spatial clearinghouses.

Most recently Jon was directed to a dataset from The City of Bellevue with excellent detail and accuracy for all of the parks in the city. While this level of data is not always posted in obvious locations on the web, our team hopes that by reaching out to individual municipalities like yours we can improve and expand our coverage.

What we are looking for

Any GIS data you would be able to provide for trails (dirt, paved or other) along with any available associated waypoints (such as trailheads, parking areas, etc.). We are able to convert most any format and extract the information we need from the data, so there is no need for you to make any additional preparations to what you send.

If there is someone else that we should contact, please let us know.

Thank you for your help,

<Name/email/phone>

Northwest Trails v1.14 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page.

Change list:

• Removed most of the GIS data received from Pierce County due to horrid lack of accuracy
  • Removed some trail duplication along the Centennial Trail near State Line, ID
  • Added waypoints for a couple of trailheads and Lookout Pass in Montana
  • Added GIS data for trails from the following cities (all in Washington). This data comes courtesy of TeamIDFC, who initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous city governments requesting GIS data:
    • Arlington: Fair quality, resolution relatively low
    • Bainbridge Island: Excellent quality, all data confirmed with GPS
    • Bothell: Good quality, although limited attribution
    • Redmond: Excellent quality with reasonable accuracy over much of it
    • SeaTac: Fair quality, much overlap with existing data from King County that has better quality

[*]Added GIS data for trails from the following counties (all in Washington). This data comes courtesy of TeamIDFC, who initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous county governments requesting GIS data:

• Clark: Excellent quality and accuracy, but limited attribution
    • San Juan: Good quality with decent attribution; only San Juan Island included

• Anderson Lake State Park trails (near Port Hadlock, WA)
    • Timberton Loop (near Port Ludlow, WA)

• Additional trails in the Redmond Ridge area (Redmond, WA)
    • Additional trails in and near Jonathan Hartman Park (Redmond, WA)
    • Additions and corrections in Fort Ebey State Park (Whidbey Island, WA)
    • Additional trails in Bob Heirman Wildlife Park (near Snohomish, WA)
    • Additional Marckworth Forest trails and roads (near Duvall, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of myotis:

• James Pond Trail (Olympic Coast, WA)
    • Other assorted short Olympic Coast trails (WA)
    • Ancient Forest Nature Trail (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • World Record Western Red Cedar Trail (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • Rain Forest Nature Trail (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • World Record Sitka Spruce Trail (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • Gatton Creek Trail (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • Multnomah Falls Trail (Columbia River Gorge, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of Rick Zitzmann:

• Green Lake Trail (Seattle, WA)

• Better detail of Twin Falls State Park trails (near North Bend, WA)
    • Additional data for Mount Washington (near North Bend, WA)
    • Change Creek Trail (near North Bend, WA)
    • Myrtle Edwards Park (Seattle, WA)

• Roads on the backside of Mailbox Peak (near North Bend, WA)

• Additional Kincaid Park trails (Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of FLYRFN:

• Additional Kincaid Park trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Matanuska Lake Trail (near Anchorage, AK)
    • New walking bridge in UAA Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Cheney Lake Trails (Anchorage, AK)
    • Cuddy Park (Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data data courtesy of EraSeek:

• Pigeon Park (Everett, WA)
    • Ebey Slough Dike Trail (Everett, WA)
    • Paved neighborhood trail in Snohomish, WA
    • Conway Dike Trail (south of Mount Vernon, WA)
    • Additional trails and verification of the route to Craft Island (south of Mount Vernon, WA)

• Parking area at Redmond Watershed Preserve (Redmond, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of eatoncdb:

• Centennial Trail (Spokane, WA)

• Lower portion of the Merritt Lake Trail (near Stevens Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of OMGCrew:

• Rainbow Peak Trail (near Anchorage, AK)
    • Reed Lakes Trail (near Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of B+L:

• Point Robinson (Vashon Island, WA)

Thanks MarcusArelius for the walkthrough on recording the points. Believe it would be nice to have some more directions for the 'post production' phase. I just created my first map and have no idea if I did it right ;)

1. How to label trail sections? I ended up using the split and join tools to create segments that I could name using the 'properties' function.

2. How to designate sections as main, minor, and paved trails?

3. We are asked to send in .gpx but this method appears to create a .gdb file.

4. The other question I forgot to ask.

Sorry for the long post but someone asked me how you go about mapping hiking trails for the NW trails project so I thought I’d take a few minutes to write it down. Now, I’m not the expert, so comment’s and corrections are welcome.

First off you need to configure the track settings on your GPSr. Of course the specifics of how to do this will vary by model. Since the Garmin 60 series is one of the more popular models I will use it as a reference (and that’s the one I’m looking at while writing this). Other models should have similar features but the options may be named differently.

From the main menu of the Garmin 60 select “Tracks” and then select “Setup”. For the recording method you can select “Time”, “Distance”, or ‘Auto”. Distance is more useful for driving than hiking. Automatic is too vague for me. I like the Time method. The interval increment options will differ depending of the method that you chose. In order to accurately map the turns in the trail (especially switchbacks) it is important to record as many points as possible. You could set the interval to one second but that’s a bit of overkill.

To determine an optimal interval you must first know how many track points your GPSr can store before filling up and wrapping, or stopping (depending on your setup choice). Most Garmins can store 10,000 track points. Therefore, if you set a time interval of 1 second the memory would fill up in 2.7 hours which is shorter than most hikes (for me anyway). Two seconds will give you 5.5 hours. However, I find a 3 second time interval optimal. That results in 8.3 hours of track time and that produces a point every 8 feet at 2mph, 14 feet at 3mph, 19 feet at 4mph, or 23 feet at 5mph.

Another useful option on models with the micro data card (i.e. 60c) is the ability to automatically store track as .gpx files on the data card. Select “Data Card Setup” from the same page as the other track settings and check “Log Track To Data Card”. In addition to the normal track log it will create one .gpx file for each day and I’d be surprised to see more than 2-3 percent of the SD card consumed with track data. I haven’t played with this feature much but you can store more than 10,000 points in multiple tracks for a day. I just not sure if you can store more than 10,000 points per track. Anyway, if you forget to download your track after the hike with this option enabled you can always go back and find it (the regular track clear doesn’t delete the .gpx files)

However, you should make it a habit to clear the track memory before you start your hike. This is especially important if you choose not to “Wrap when Full” and don’t have the log to SD card feature. Otherwise, your drive to the trailhead may waste some of the track memory. Also make sure to waypoint the trailhead before you start hiking.

While hiking the GPSr should be oriented so that it maintains a satellite lock. For Garmins with an “x” in the model number (Sirf star III chip) this isn’t hard, but for units with patch antennas you may need to hold the unit flat, for a helix antenna upright is the best position, or use an external antenna. I just use the belt clip to attach my 60Cx to the chest strap of my pack. I also like to waypoint all the trail intersections that I pass by. Sometimes I will walk a short way down the side trail to make it stand out in the track log. If possible try to take a different return route back to the car to map more trails. Turn the GPSr off when you get back to the trailhead. You can turn it back on for the drive home but this will create separate tracks for the hike and the drive home.

When you get home upload the track data to your PC. I use Garmin’s MapSource to upload and visualize the track data (Transfer, Receive from Device, Track/Waypoints). If it’s not visible then click on the “Tracks” tab then right click the track and select “Show Selected On Map”. Hopefully, you will see a single continuous track. You should have NW Trails installed so select it from the drop-down list or use “View”, “Switch To Product” to select it. If the trail is already shown in NW Trails it may be from old GIS data, your track data is still useful for validation purposes. That’s how I discovered that West Tiger 3 had been re-routed.

Now the track data needs some clean up. Delete any cache waypoints and any tracks that were not from you hike. If you forgot to clear the track log before the hike or you left the GPSr on while you drove home then the points before and/or after the hike need to be deleted. Here is a neat MapSource trick. Zoom all the way in to the trailhead then click “Tools” and “Selection” (or click the arrow in the toolbar). Now right-click on one of the track segments from the parking lot to the trail head and select “Track Properties” from the pop-up menu. This will open the list of track points with that particular segment highlighted in the list. Scroll up or down depending if you are trying to remove the drive to or from the trailhead then hold down the shift key and click the first or last point. The selected points should now be highlighted on the map. If the right segments are selected press the delete key, otherwise start over. You have to press the OK key after each edit.

Track points continued to be produced when you stop for a breather (or to hunt a cache) so those points should be removed also. While zoomed in use the “Hand” tool to scroll along the trail. The area to be removed will look like a big splotch from the GPSr wandering while you are still. Use the same technique as above to highlight a track segment outside of the splotch area. Now use the up and down arrows on your keyboard to highlight the segment just before the splotch. Next use the shift-click method to highlight all the segments in the splotch. You may need to select several pages of points to get the whole splotch. Don’t worry if you over select, just shift-click again on some previous point. Press the OK button. When you are done editing save the file and e-mail it to Moun10bike.

Lastly, if you accidentally cleared the track data you can recover it from the .gpx files on the SD card if you had previously enabled “Log Track To Data Card”. From the Main menu select “Setup” and then “Interface”. Select "USB Mass Storage" and the GPSr basically becomes a thumb drive attached to you PC. You can access it like any other removable media by double-clicking the “My Computer” icon on your desktop. Just drag and drop the files wherever you want. When you disconnect the GPSr if will revert to normal operation.

Thanks MarcusArelius for the walkthrough on recording the points. Believe it would be nice to have some more directions for the 'post production' phase. I just created my first map and have no idea if I did it right :D

1. How to label trail sections? I ended up using the split and join tools to create segments that I could name using the 'properties' function.

2. How to designate sections as main, minor, and paved trails?

3. We are asked to send in .gpx but this method appears to create a .gdb file.

4. The other question I forgot to ask.

1 & 2. I do the same thing to create sections. I always add a little text about each trail in the email that I send Moun10Bike. That's where I mention trail size and surface.

3. When saving use the drop list "Save as type" to select GPX files (although, Moun10Bike can use GDB files).

4. The other answer I have. ;)

Northwest Trails v1.15 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page.

Change list:

• Accidental obliteration of a file led to the loss of two weeks of work! Regular backup was missed the week of the Missoula Cache Machine, so I had to recreate everything added/changed/removed between June 12th and June 25th. Backups are now scheduled daily!
  • Slight adjustments to the Iron Horse Trail and waypoints near the eastern portal of the Snoqualmie Tunnel
  • Added GIS data for trails from the following counties (all in Washington). This data comes courtesy of TeamIDFC, who initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous county governments requesting GIS data:
    • Clallam: Limited attribution, contains only the Olympic Discovery Trail

[*]Added GIS data for trails obtained from the following National Forests and removed the FSGeodata Clearinghouse data in those areas:

• Clearwater (ID)
    • Custer (MT)
    • Lewis and Clark (MT)
    • Medicine Bow (WY)
    • Sawtooth (ID)

[*]Incorporated data for trails obtained from National Geographic's mapXchange:

• Alaska:
      • Granite Tors Trail (Fairbanks)

[*]Idaho:

• Stanley Hot Springs (near Lowell, ID)
      • Weir Creek Trail (near Lowell, ID)

• More improvements in Tolt-MacDonald Park (near Carnation, WA)
    • Echo Valley (near Chelan, WA)
    • Additional verification and improvement of the Preston Railroad and Northwest Timber Trails (Tiger Mountain, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of nolenator:

• Camp Long (Seattle, WA)
    • Adjustments to the Fuller Mountain Trail (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Malcore:

• Knik River Area trails (Palmer, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of joinsmith97:

• Additional Canyon Park Business Park trails (Bothell, WA)

• Iditarod Trail, Alaska from Knik to Nome (GIS data provided by the Alaska DOT)
    • Palmer-Wasilla Highway Trail (AK)
    • Additional trails in the Crevasse Moraine system (near Palmer, AK)
    • Additional trails in Kincaid Park (Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of Princess Lisa:

• Hamlin Park (Seattle, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of OldBaldEagle:

• Castle Rock Trail (near McKenzie Bridge, OR)
    • Proxy Falls Trail (near McKenzie Bridge, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of hydnsek:

• Southern portion of the BPA Trail (Federal Way, WA)
    • Honey Creek area trails (Renton, WA)
    • Hylebos Estuary (Fife, WA)
    • Trail in Serenity area near Lake Isabel (Black Diamond, WA)
    • Golf Club Trail (public view trail at Newcastle Golf Club, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Alnilam:

• North Camano Island trails (WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Bill Davis:

• Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Trail east of Goldmyer Hotsprings (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Middle Fork Snoqualmie River Trail between Goldmyer Hotsprings and Dingford Creek (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of MtnGoat50:

• Little Spokane River Trail (Spokane, WA)
    • Centennial Trail - TJ Meenach Bridge through Riverside State Park (Spokane, WA)

• Additions and refinements of the Mount Washington and Great Wall Trails (near North Bend, WA)
    • Peterson Lake Trail (near Maple Valley, WA)

• Corrections and refinements to the Tiger Mountain trail system (Issaquah, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of The Jester:

• Additional trails on the northwest side of the Lake Desire/Spring Lake trail network (Renton, WA)
    • A Walk in the Past Trail (Yoho National Park, BC)

• Huffman Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Pamela Jay Lowry Memorial Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Gladys Wood Park (Anchorage, AK)

• Pigeon Creek Trail (Everett, WA)
    • Trails off 92nd Street Park (Mukilteo, WA)

• Old Fort Townsend State Park trails - complete (Port Townsend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of ruck:

• Pope Resources roads and trails (near Port Gamble, WA)
    • South Kitsap Community Park (Port Orchard, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Allanon:

• Additional refinement of the Bandera Mountain Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Jia-Mei:

• Lower portion of the McGregor Mountain Trail (Stehekin River Valley, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of lucyandrickie:

• Portion of the Snohomish River Dike (Snohomish, WA)
    • Additional data for Bob Heirman Wildlife Park (near Snohomish, WA)
    • 132nd Square Park (Kirkland, WA)
    • Elbe Dump Road Trail (Elbe, WA)
    • Elbe Nisqually River Trail (Elbe, WA)

• Unpaved road and trail along the Snoqualmie River near Lake Crescent (near Monroe, WA)
    • Unpaved road off Lake Fontal Road (mear Monroe, WA)
    • Adjustments to the Ashford Trail (Redmond, WA)
    • A section of gravel trail in Magnuson Park (Seattle, WA)
    • Adjustments to the West of Sammamish River Trail (Redmond, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of B+L:

• Additional trails in the Dockton Forest, including the Gold Beach Trail and Loop (Vashon Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of YeOleImposter:

• Audubon Nature Trail (Richland, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of bigeddy:

• Additional trails in the Phil's System in the Deschutes National Forest (near Bend, OR)
    • The northern portion of the Deschutes River Trail (Bend, OR)
    • Trails in Shevlin Park (Bend, OR)
    • Swampy Loop trails (near Bend, OR)

I'm so glad you posted this Jon, I've been curious how we all stacked up and I've really enjoyed the mapping (and will continue to do so). In fact I've "went mapping" and hit a few caches along the way just as a sidebar thing.

Congrats oleruns!

Ditto on all counts. Cool to see a list of all the participants. ;) Some impressive mileage there - thanks especially to MarcusArelius, oleruns (congrats on that Colorado), ruck, and EraSeek, the "big four." Was surprised to see myself 10th on the list.

A huge thanks to everyone who participated! I won't be able to offer prizes of this nature each month, but I will continue to offer a prize at the end of each month. Rather than make it a sweepstakes and select randomly, in the future I will just award the prize to whomever submits the most trail mileage by the end of the month.

For July, the prize will be Moun10Bike Geocoin #900, which is the last of the version 3 Moun10Bike Geocoins.

Thanks again, everyone!

I understand giving the prize to the person who contributes the most but wondering if it will cause the smaller contributors to feel they will not have a chance and so not contribute quite so 'enthusiastically'?

I am working on a couple of trails here in the Tri-Cities but (as any trail guide book will show) will never be able to match the contributions of those on the west side of the state.

Hopefully, every once and a while all of us will have a chance at the prize :D

A huge thanks to everyone who participated! I won't be able to offer prizes of this nature each month, but I will continue to offer a prize at the end of each month. Rather than make it a sweepstakes and select randomly, in the future I will just award the prize to whomever submits the most trail mileage by the end of the month.

For July, the prize will be Moun10Bike Geocoin #900, which is the last of the version 3 Moun10Bike Geocoins.

Thanks again, everyone!

I understand giving the prize to the person who contributes the most but wondering if it will cause the smaller contributors to feel they will not have a chance and so not contribute quite so 'enthusiastically'?

I am working on a couple of trails here in the Tri-Cities but (as any trail guide book will show) will never be able to match the contributions of those on the west side of the state.

In all fairness, this comment should have come right after this announcement and not after the contest ended and prize awarded. That kind of takes the shine off the guy who worked (played?) hard and contributed to the effort and won the prize.

Thanks again, everyone!

In all fairness, this comment should have come right after this announcement and not after the contest ended and prize awarded. That kind of takes the shine off the guy who worked (played?) hard and contributed to the effort and won the prize.

Sorry TL but I totally don't follow you here.

IMO there is a big difference between the number of chances based on milage and a high number takes all prize. For the Colorado it was you got chances, whoever had the most miles had the most chances, but if it just went to whoever had the most miles it would have gone to Marcus, even someone with only a 0.1 mile had a chance. This new way there isn't that chance, only whoever is the top person as explained by the post that was quoted. Why should he have quoted a post that talking about something that was set up differently, if the issue that he has is based on a later post?

I also guess I dont see how he is taking away from the person who won it.

Thanks again, everyone!

Hopefully, every once and a while all of us will have a chance at the prize :angry:

This project benefits us all, so in a sense, we all win. That alone should justify contributing with enthusiasm. It's a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of time and effort Moun10Bike is investing in this project without any personal benefit.

werenotworthyal9.jpg

We're not worthy!

I had an answer all typed out and re-read what I posted versus what was quoted and realize I read it all wrong.

My apologies to YeOleImposter.

Thanks for pointing out my error AndrewRJ!

No problem! I definitely was not complaining.

No harm, No foul -- just more maps :angry:

<Edited for inability to spell>

Edited by YeOleImposter

Hopefully, every once and a while all of us will have a chance at the prize :anitongue:

I hadn't thought about it in that way and agree that it makes it hard for those in less trail-dense areas to "compete", so to speak. I'll go back to the June lottery method.

Thanks for the feedback!

Northwest Trails v1.16 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. There are some significant changes in this version, so please give things a good look and let me know if you spot any errors.

Change list:

• Got in contact with Ben from Redtrails.com and made a data exchange. This led to a massive revamp of the Northwest Trails data, cutting out all remaining FSGeodata Clearinghouse data and replacing it with more accurate GIS data from National Forests that do not provide trails for public download. It also provided names for the majority of Forest Service trails in the dataset that were previously lacking them, and also provided data for some areas that we simply had no coverage for previously. Here are the areas that were overhauled or added:
    • Washington:
      • National Forests:
      • Colville National Forest
      • Idaho Panhandle National Forests
      • Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
      • Olympic National Forest
      • Umatilla National Forest
      • Wenatchee National Forest

[*]National Parks:

• Mt. Rainier National Park
      • North Cascades National Park
      • Olympic National Park

[*]State Parks:

• Blake Island State Park
      • Dash Point State Park
      • Easton Lake State Park
      • Federation Forest State Park
      • Flaming Geyser State Park
      • Fort Ward State Park
      • Hope Island State Park
      • Illahee State Park
      • Jarrell Cove State Park
      • Kanaskat-Palmer State Park
      • Kopachuck State Park
      • Lake Sammamish State Park
      • Manchester State Park
      • Nolte State Park
      • Ollalie State Park
      • Penrose Point State Park
      • St. Edward State Park

[*]Other:

• Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area

[*]Idaho:

• National Forests:
      • Boise National Forest
      • Caribou-Targhee National Forest
      • Clearwater National Forest
      • Kootenai National Forest
      • Nez Perce National Forest
      • Payette National Forest
      • Salmon-Challis National Forest
      • Wallowa-Whitman National Forest

[*]Oregon:

• National Forests:
      • Deschutes National Forest
      • Fremont National Forest
      • Malheur National Forest
      • Mt. Hood National Forest
      • Ochoco National Forest
      • Rogue River National Forest
      • Siskiyou National Forest
      • Siuslaw National Forest
      • Umpqua National Forest
      • Wallowa-Whitman National Forest

[*]Other:

• Columbia Gorge National Scenic Area

[*]Montana:

• National Forests:
      • Beaverhead National Forest
      • Deerlodge National Forest
      • Flathead National Forest
      • Gallatin National Forest
      • Lolo National Forest

[*]National Parks:

• Glacier National Park

[*]Wyoming:

• National Forests:
      • Black Hills National Forest
      • Bridger-Teton National Forest
      • Caribou-Targhee National Forest
      • Shoshone National Forest

[*]Alaska:

• National Forests:
      • Chugach National Forest
      • Tongass National Forest

[*]Added GIS data for campgrounds, trailheads, and other points of interest for the following National Forests:

• Idaho Panhandle (ID and WA)
    • Wenatchee (WA)
    • Colville (WA)

[*]Added GIS data for trails from the following cities (all in Washington). This data comes courtesy of TeamIDFC, who initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous city governments requesting GIS data:

• Walla Walla
    • Wenatchee (includes only the Apple Capital Loop Trail and offshoots)

[*]Removed TIGER data in Washington that was unnamed and/or extraneous

[*]Added some trails and roads in the Priest Lake (ID) area from various sources

[*]Added GPS data for entrance trail into the Chipmunk Rapids trail system (Priest Lake, ID)

[*]Data courtesy of EraSeek:

• Narbeck Wetlands Sanctuary (Everett, WA)
    • Iverson Spit (Camano Island, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of FunnyNose:

• College Street Ravine (Seattle, WA)
    • Duwamish Head (Seattle, WA)
    • Big Bend Site trails (Maple Valley, WA)
    • Rock Creek Natural Area (Maple Valley, WA)
    • Shingle Mill Creek Preserve (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Vashon Island Central Forest verification (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Additional Maury Island trails (Vashon Island, WA)
    • Genessee Park (Seattle, WA)

• Pop Carr Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Paved neighborhood path in Anchorage, AK
    • Lake Hood Bike Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • C Street Extension Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Sitka Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Conifer Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Creekside Park (Anchorage, AK)
    • Windsong Park (Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of Prying Pandora:

• Nunaka Valley Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Chester Creek Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Rendezvous Peak Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Gordon Lyon Trail (Anchorage, AK)

• Additional trails and verification of the route to Craft Island (south of Mount Vernon, WA)
    • Kristoferson Creek Trail (Camano Island, WA)
    • Iverson Spit (Camano Island, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of LindaLu:

• Additional Point Defiance trails (Tacoma, WA)
    • Soundview Trail (University Place, WA)
    • Chapman Trail (Puyallup, WA)

• Waypoints along and verification of the John Wayne Pioneer Trail (Iron Horse Trail (WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Tibby's People:

• Neighborhood trail connecting to the Waterline Trail (Bellevue, WA)
    • May Creek area trails (Newcastle, WA)

• Yakima Delta West (Richland, WA)
    • Yakima Delta East (Richland, WA)

• Stegosaurus Butte Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)

• Stegosaurus Butte Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of nolenator:

• Blake Island (WA)

• Entiat River Trail (Glacier Peak Wilderness, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of LandRover:

• Mount Catherine Trail (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

• CCC Bench Trail (near North Bend, WA)
    • CCC Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Commonwealth Basin - Burntboot Creek Trail (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Derrick Lake Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Granite Mountain Trail (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Green Ridge Lake Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Marten Lake Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)
    • Melakwa Lake (Denny Creek) Trail (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Rainy Lake Trail (Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, WA)

• More improvements in Tolt-MacDonald Park (near Carnation, WA)

Any Mac users out there? This morning I discovered Garmin's MapConverter and have created a Mac version of Northwest Trails:

Can anyone give this a try and let me know if it works?

Oooh. I have a Mac desktop (that I'm typing on right now), but I've never converted over any of the Garmin software; I just use everything on my PC laptop along with GSAK, etc. Hoping someone else can help ya out, cos I'm curious, too.

Any Mac users out there? This morning I discovered Garmin's MapConverter and have created a Mac version of Northwest Trails:

Can anyone give this a try and let me know if it works?

I have not tried your file but I have used Mapconverter via Parallels then loaded NW Trails to my 60csz via BOBCAT. I can document the steps if others are interested.

Edited by runhills

Northwest Trails v1.17 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. From reports I've received so far the Mac version works as intended, so I will be making it available with each version from now on.

Also, I'm looking at added winter trails (XC ski trails, snowshoe trails, snowmobile trails) and designating motorized trails as such in an upcoming version. If you have any thoughts regarding this please let me know! I will likely add new custom line types for these trails.

Change list:

• Received new GIS data via CD from Salmon-Challis National Forest (ID) and integrated it into the database
  • Obtained trail data from Missoula County, MT and integrated it into the database
  • Refreshed trail data for Flathead National Forest (MT) with data supplied by Redtrails.com
  • Added GPS data for the following:
    • Jensen Family Forest (near Lynden, WA)
    • Teddy Bear Cove (near Bellingham, WA)
    • Monte Cristo Trail (Barlow Pass, WA)

• Chief Sealth Bike Trail (Seattle, WA)
    • Dead Horse Canyon/Lakeridge Park trails (Seattle, WA)
    • Roxhill Park trails (Seattle, WA)
    • Seward Park trails (Seattle, WA)
    • Panther Lake trails (Federal Way, WA)
    • Puyallup River Trail (Puyallup, WA)
    • Paved trail section in Sumner, WA
    • Lakewood Park trails (Seattle, WA)

• More detail for the Danville trail system (Maple Valley, WA)
    • Ridge Loop Trail and Miners Memorial Trail (Maple Valley, WA)

• Cottage Lake Park Trails (Woodinville, WA)

• Bartlett Trail (Anchorage, AK)

• Lions Park trails (Anchorage, AK)
    • Patterson Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Southport Bike Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • South High School and Elmore Road Trails (Anchorage, WA)
    • Various other paved bike trails in Anchorage, AK
    • Paved bike trails in Wasilla, AK

• Talapus Lake and Olallie Lake Trails (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of bazzle:

• Franklin Ridge, Larch Mountain and Oneonta Trails (Columbia River Gorge, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of Tibby's People:

• Gravel trail in a neighborhood park in Vancouver, WA
    • Paved trail at Gee Creek Rest Stop (Northbound) on I-5

• Verification of the McTavish Trail (Bellevue, WA)
    • Verification of a portion of the Twin Falls State Park trails (near North Bend, WA)

• Monte Cristo Trail (Barlow Pass, WA)

• Massive data drop including GPS data and higher-detail digitization off of topo maps for the bulk of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area (WA)

• Sacagawea Heritage Trail (Tri-Cities, WA)

Edited by Moun10Bike

:rolleyes: First... Thank You!!!

Being a iMac G5 and not being PC, this was a real treat.

First time back in May prior to the HOTM, I jerry rigged Northwest Trails into my GPSmap 60CSx. Don't ask don't tell!

I strictly use Mac not Virtual and those type items.

Garmin Bobcat, Garmin Mapinstall, Garmin Map Manager, TOPO US 2008 for Mac and now your newest Version of Northwest Trails.

The installation went smoothly and now I'll give it a try this weekend at or near Sequim since I'll be there for a Dogshow. Hope to knock out at least 5 while there.

First, review by just checking around here on various GOTO using Bobcat the Trails show up clear as dotted Black, highlighted Green.

Will report back once I've used it in the field.

Thanks again for your support and effort in helping out those Mac/Apple folks located around the Northwest.

MtnMutt

The July sweepstakes is over! Like last month, I totaled up the length of trail submitted by each participant, gave each person one entry for each 0.1 mile of trail that ended up in the project at the end of the month, and randomly selected an entry. The winner of Moun10Bike Geocoin #900 (the last of the version 3 coins) is:

The Jester!

Here's how the final statistics broke down:

NAME									   MILES
====									   =====
Bill Davis								 174.2
FunnyNose								   81.0
YeOleImposter							   53.7
FLYRFN									  26.4
The Jester								  26.2
monkey360								   19.8
Raman Sarin								 19.5
brewermd									13.4
Bob Cromwell								12.9
thebudman								   10.8
bazzle									   9.7
LindaLu									  8.0
EraSeek									  7.7
MarcusArelius								7.6
oleruns									  5.2
lucyandrickie								4.8
nolenator									4.2
Boy Scouts of America (via YeOleImposter)	3.5
LandRover									3.3
Prying Pandora							   2.9
Forty-n-Eight								1.6
bigeddy									  1.4
OldBaldEagle								 1.0
Tibby's People							   0.9
AndrewRJ									 0.7
dsvaughn									 0.2

=====
TOTAL:									 500.5

Once again, a huge thanks to everyone who participated! I'm not sure yet what prize I'll offer for August, but I'll think of something!

Thanks again, everyone!

Northwest Trails v1.18 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page.

The biggest change involved with this release is the addition of motorized, snowmobile, and other snow trails along with custom types to support them. Please check things over and see if the colors and styles work for you, or if you see any trails needing attribution. I have also received some initial feedback on the inclusion of these trail types and would love to get more, so feel free to drop me an email with your thoughts.

Lastly, I have experienced two instances of database corruption since I upgraded last month to a new beta release of one of the pieces of software that I use to create the maps, but I can't say if it is the culprit or not. The only data affected so far has been the Washington State trails, and the geometry of the trails is unaffected. Instead, the corruption affects attributes of the data, so you might see trails with incorrect names and/or incorrect trail type. I believe that I have corrected the damage, but please let me know if you find errors.

Change list:

• Fixed some trail duplication in the Olympic National Forest that was a result of my integration of the Redtrails.com data in version 1.16
  • Added new custom line types:
    • Motorized trail (red boxed line)
    • Snow trail (blue dotted line)
    • Snowmobile trail (blue boxed line)
    • Summer trail/snow trail (purple dotted line)
    • Summer trail/snowmobile trail (purple boxed line)

[*]Added attribution and data for snow trails (cross-country ski trails and snowshoe trails) and snowmobile trails:

• Washington:
      • BLM
      • Gifford Pinchot National Forest
      • Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest
      • Okanogan National Forest
      • Wenatchee National Forest
      • Snowmobile trails available from the Washington State Snowmobile Association

[*]Idaho:

• Sawtooth National Forest

[*]Oregon:

• BLM
      • Deschutes National Forest
      • Fremont National Forest
      • Malheur National Forest
      • Mt. Hood National Forest
      • Rogue River National Forest
      • Siskiyou National Forest
      • Umpqua National Forest
      • Willamette National Forest
      • Winema National Forest

[*]Montana:

• Beaverhead National Forest
      • Deerlodge National Forest
      • Flathead National Forest
      • Glacier National Park

[*]Wyoming:

• Bridger-Teton National Forest

[*]Alaska:

• Chugach State Park
      • Complete Iditarod Trail (Alaska DOT)

[*]Some trail name corrections in the Alpine Lakes area (WA) as pointed out by Bill Davis

[*]Added GPS data for details of the eastern end of the Upper Priest Lake Trail (ID)

[*]Added GPS data for the Deep Creek area of Riverside State Park (Spokane, WA) courtesy of attendees of the WSGA Summer Campout. Many thanks to MtnGoat50 for organizing the mapping party. Participants included apostate, Bridger, LLCOOL, loren27, MtnGoat50 and sailorjack3.

• Additional trails in the Danville trail system (Maple Valley, WA)
    • Wapato Park (Tacoma, WA)
    • Hurricane Ridge trails (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • Marymere Falls Nature Trail (near Lake Crescent, WA)
    • Ravensdale Natural Area trails (Ravensdale, WA)
    • Eastern end of the Olympic Discovery Trail (Sequim, WA)
    • Segment of the Mount Muller Trail (near Lake Crescent, WA)
    • Beaver Falls Trail (near Forks, WA)
    • Sol Duc Falls Trail (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • Hall of Mosses Nature Trail (Olympic National Park, WA)
    • Quinault Big Cedar Trail (Lake Quinault, WA)
    • Additional Lake Sawyer trails (Black Diamond, WA)

• Neighborhood trail in Klahanie (Issaquah, WA)

• Complete Bartlett trail system (Anchorage, AK)
    • South Anchorage Sports Park North Trail (Anchorage, AK)

• Columbia Park (Kennewick, WA)
    • Lawrence Scott Park (Kennewick, WA)
    • Grange Park (Kennewick, WA)
    • Horse Heaven Hills Park (Kennewick, WA)
    • Eastgate Park (Kennewick, WA)
    • Wallula Gap Trail (near Kennewick, WA)
    • Horn Rapids Park (near Richland, WA)
    • Tukwila Park (Tukwila, WA)
    • Talus Wetland trails (Issaquah, WA)
    • Steamboat Rock State Park trails (near Grand Coulee Dam, WA)
    • Badger Mountain-Skyline Trail (near Kennewick, WA)
    • Anthony Lake Loop (near Baker City, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of Prying Pandora:

• Additional Lake Sawyer trail data (Black Diamond, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of thebudman:

• Additional trails in Riverside State Park (Spokane, WA)
    • Trails at Schweitzer Mountain Ski Resort (near Sandpoint, ID)

• Minor trail leading off of Change Creek Trail (near North Bend, WA)

• Mason Lake Trail (Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of LandRover:

• Wedge Mountain Trail (Blewett Pass, WA)
    • Bypass Trail and additional data around West Tiger 1 in Tiger Mountain State Forest (near Issaquah, WA)

• Barclay Creek and Eagle Lake Trails (near Baring, WA)
    • Verification of the Surprise Lake Trail along with the Glacier Lake Trail and a portion of the PCT between the two trails (near Scenic, WA)

• Refinement and verification of several trails in the Whistler area (BC)

• Banks-Vernonia State Trail (near Banks, OR)
    • Trails in the Bybee Lake area (Portland, OR)
    • Jenkins Estate (Beaverton, OR)
    • Kelly Point Park Trails (Portland, OR)
    • Scappoose Dike Trail (Scappoose, OR)
    • Trojan Trail (near Rainier, OR)
    • Castle Rock River Trail (Castle Rock, WA)
    • Jack Block Park (Seattle, WA)
    • Substation trails (Renton, WA)
    • Tukwila Trails 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Tukwila, WA)
    • Unnamed dead-end trail in Tukwila, WA
    • Wapato Park (Tacoma, WA)
    • Chehalis Western Trail (near Olympia, WA)
    • Capitol Lake Trail (Olympia, WA)
    • Bike trail from Lane Forest at Evergreen State College (Olympia, WA)
    • Several neighborhood trails in Dupont, WA
    • Lois Lake Trail (Lacey, WA)
    • I-5 and Woodland Trails (Olympia, WA)
    • Longfellow Creek Trail (Seattle, WA)

• Lake Philippa Trail (near North Bend, WA)

• Washington Park trails (Anacortes, WA)
    • Glacial Heritage Preserve (near Mima Mounds, WA)
    • Portion of the Boundary Trail near Johnston Ridge Observatory, Mt. St. Helens

• Minor trails leading off of Change Creek Trail (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Added GPS data courtesy of brewermd:

• Hannegan Pass Trail (near Mount Baker, WA)
    • Chain Lakes Trail (near Mount Baker, WA)
    • Ptarmigan Ridge Trail (near Mount Baker, WA)

• Elger Bay Preserve Nature Loop (Camano Island, WA)
    • Youth on Age Trail (Mountain Loop Highway, WA)
    • Old Government and Barlow Cut Trails (Mountain Loop Highway, WA)
    • French Point Lookout Trail (Mountain Loop Highway, WA)
    • North Mountain Lookout Road (Mountain Loop Highway, WA)
    • A portion of the Old Sauk Trail (Mountain Loop Highway, WA)
    • A portion of the Beaver Lake Trail (Mountain Loop Highway, WA)

• Further refinement of the trails and roads on West Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)

• Lucile Lake trails (Wasilla, AK)
    • Eklutna Tailrace Trail (near Matanuska, AK)
    • Additional Ruth Arcand Park trails (Anchorage, AK)
    • Raspberry Road Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Northwood Street Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Elmore Road horse trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • ATV trails in the Wasilla area (AK)

[*]Data courtesy of bigeddy:

• Wychus Creek Falls Trail (near Bend, OR)

[*]Data courtesy of Rick Zitzmann:

• Watson Lake Trail (near Baker Lake, WA)
    • Anderson Lakes Trail (near Baker Lake, WA)

This is interesting! I downloaded the MAC version and it wiped the slate clean. No trails showed up as if they never were there. The two previous versions worked great but for some unknown reason this version did not. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Did you double click the installer after extracting it? It worked for me.

whoops!

Thanks to everyone for the congrats! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, this is the first time on the forum in a long time. The Colorado is really nice and I can't thank Jon enough. The Anchorage mileage I put on the project wasn't much as Jon already has a bunch of GIS data. I still have to finish a park in Wasilla. I have to tell you the mosquitos were thick and 100% deet was candy for those little buggers on everytrail.

The brown bears have mauled 2 people in one park so I will wait until winter ;) for that one.

But you're right, there is a lot of trails up here to map and I am willing to help pick an adventure for someone if you come to Alaska to cache and map. This winter, I am going to set up some killer snowshoe/ski caches out in the boondocks!

Thanks again everyone this project is a blast!

Northwest Trails v1.19 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page.

Change list:

• Corrected attribution of a section of the Putnum Loop Trail in the Danville Trails system (Maple Valley, WA) pointed out by The Jester
  • Corrected a connection across a slough in the Smith and Bybee Lakes Wildlife Area that does not exist (Portland, OR) pointed out by FunnyNose
  • Switched a number of POIs attributed as "Parking Area" to "Trailhead", as the "Trailhead" type is more visible on the maps in the GPS
  • Added some paved trails in the Smith and Bybee Lakes Wildlife Area (Portland, OR) from aerial imagery
  • Added Trail of the Hiawatha (near Lookout Pass, ID and MT) from aerial imagery
  • Added portion of Centennial Trail from Beacon Hill to Riverfront Park (Spokane, WA) from aerial imagery (removed inaccurate TIGER version)
  • Added Ben Burr Trail (Spokane, WA) from aerial imagery (removed inaccurate TIGER version)
  • Added GPS data for the road and trail to Loch Katrine (near North Bend, WA)
  • Data courtesy of FLYRFN:
    • Bike trail bridge over Eagle River Loop Road (Anchorage, AK)
    • Eagle River bike trail and adjacent dirt trails (Anchorage, AK)
    • New Ship Creek Trail (Anchorage, AK)
    • Trail connecting Elmore Road Trail with South High School trails (Anchorage, AK)

[*]Data courtesy of woodman5898:

• Indian Racetrack Trail (near Stevenson, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of LindaLu:

• Trails around Holden (Lake Chelan, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Fat Tire Trail Riders Club:

• Beacon Hill (Spokane, WA)

• Mount Higgins Trail (near Darrington, WA)

• Mount Persis Trail (near Gold Bar, WA)

• Pilchuck Tree Farm (near Stanwood, WA)
    • Tennant Lake Boardwalk (Ferndale, WA)
    • Silver Creek Park (Mill Creek, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of popop:

• Alfred A. Loeb State Park (near Brookings, OR)

• Johnson Ridge and Scorpion Mountain Trails (near Stevens Pass, WA)

• Loch Katrine road and trail (near North Bend, WA)
    • Additional data for Lime Kiln Trail (near Granite Falls, WA)

• Talapus Lake Trail, Olallie Lake Trail, Talapus Lake Cutoff Trail, and Melakwa Lake Trail (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)
    • Additional data around and part of a new trail near Poo Poo Point on Tiger Mountain (near Issaquah, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Allanon:

• Merritt Lake, Nason Ridge, and Alpine Lookout Trails (near Lake Wenatchee, WA)

• Deception Pass and Robin Lakes Trails (near Salmon La Sac, WA)

Northwest Trails v1.20 has been posted to the Northwest Trails page. The changes in this build are:

• Received new GIS data from Helena National Forest (MT) and integrated it into the database
  • Added GIS data for trails from the City of Port Townsend (WA). This data comes courtesy of TeamIDFC, who initiating a letter-writing campaign to numerous city governments requesting GIS data.
  • Added Trail of the Hiawatha (near Lookout Pass, ID and MT) from aerial imagery
  • Added in some missing sections of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington
  • Added data obtained from LocalHikes.com:
    • Additional Liberty Lake County Park trail data (near Liberty Lake, WA)
    • A portion of the Big Quilcene Trail (near Sequim, WA)
    • Rock Lake Trail (near Skykomish, WA)

[*]Added data obtained from GPSies.com:

• Additional Discovery Park trails (Seattle, WA)
    • Jeep road to Surprise Lake (near Mount Rainier, WA)
    • A portion of the Spray-Seattle Park Loop Trail (near Mount Rainier, WA)
    • A portion of the Wonderland and Sourdough Ridge Trails near Sunrise (Mount Rainier National Park, WA)

[*]Added GPS data:

• Glacier segment of the Bay to Baker Trail (Glacier, WA)
    • Horseshoe Bend Trail (near Glacier, WA)
    • Picture Lake Trail (Mount Baker, WA)
    • Artist Ridge Trail (Mount Baker, WA)
    • Additional data and refinement of the Wedge Mountain Trail (near Blewett Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of the Thurston County Sheriff's Jeep Patrol:

• Roads of the Capitol State Forest (near Olympia, WA)

• Spur trails off of the Cedar River Trail (Renton, WA)
    • Spur trail off of the Lake Youngs Trail (Renton, WA)
    • Road E-8010 and spurs in the Capitol State FOrest (near Olympia, WA)
    • Road data around the Mima Falls Trailhead (Capitol State Forest near Olympia, WA)
    • Scatter Creek Wildlife Area (near Centralia, WA)

• Refinement of the Pacific Crest Trail north of Snoqualmie Pass, WA
    • Tonga Ridge Trail, Deception Creek Trail, and Deception Creek Cutoff Trail (near Stevens Pass, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Master_Dirt:

• Western end of the Cedar River Pipeline Trail (Maple Valley, WA)

• Nolte State Park (near Cumberland, WA)
    • Additional Bob Heirman Wildlife Park trails (near Snohomish, WA)

• Refinement of the Mason Lake-Olallie Lake area of the Alpine Lakes, including Mt. Deception and Island Lake Trails (near Snoqualmie Pass, WA)

• Refinement and additions to the roads up Mount Bessemer (near North Bend, WA)
    • Refinement of an offshoot off the Pratt River Trail (near North Bend, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of runhills:

• Lake George, Mount Beljica, and surrounding trails (near Mt. Rainier National Park, WA)
    • Extension of a gated road off of Lake Fontal Road (near Monroe, WA)
    • High Rock Trail (near Mt. Rainier National Park, WA)
    • Additional Mount Higgins data (near Darrington, WA)

• Additional trail in Lord Hill Regional Park (near Monroe, WA)
    • A neighborhood greenbelt trail in Lake Stevens (WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Forty-n-Eight:

• Route up Mount Index (near Index, WA)
    • Ridge route from Mount Persis to Mount Index (near Index, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of Harriet the Spy:

• Trails on Jetty Island (Everett, WA)

[*]Data courtesy of snowghost:

• Additional High Drive Parkway trails (Spokane, WA)