using a 4GB microSDHC card with the vistaHCx

Hi all,

After reading through a lot of messages on this board and getting a lot of conflicting results on just what the heck happens if you try to use a 4GB microSDHC card in the vista HCx, I just bought one and tried it out myself. Here's what happens:

It's true that you can only access half of the card for uploading maps, HOWEVER, this still makes it a bigger card that the 2GB microSD, because half of the the 4GB microSD card allows you to upload 2048MB of maps, whereas with the 2GB card I could never load more than 19xxMB (I forget what the acutal limit was, but the point is you get about an extra 100 MB of maps with the 4GB micro SD card).

Furthermore, after absolutely filling the 4GB microSDHC card with over 2GB of maps (all of mapsource NA NT, Mexico NT, and western europe (CNE NT), I checked how much space was available on the card for track log storage, and it said that the card was 1/2 full, which I'm assuming means I still have ~2GB remaining for track logs, which should last me the rest of my life.

So the bottom line is, I think everyone should be running the 4GB cards in the Vista HCx devices, I know I'm glad I made the switch.

Finally, it seems pretty clear to me at least, that if I can load 2GB of maps on to one part of the card, access these maps with the Vista HCx, whilst simultaneously saving track logs to the other 2GB of the card with the same device, that in one way or another, the Vista HCx CAN access all 4 GB of a microSDHC card. So the question is, why hasn't Garmin come out with a mapsource/Vista HCx patch/firmware upgrade that allows us to upload up to 4GB to a microSDHC card and access all 4GB simultaneously on the GPS device? The size of all Garmin's city navigator NT products is somewhere between 2 and 4 GB, but still well under the maximum map number limit (whatever it actually is, I don't know, although I'd say the max map number limit should also be fixed).

So the question is, why hasn't Garmin come out with a mapsource/Vista HCx patch/firmware upgrade that allows us to upload up to 4GB to a microSDHC card and access all 4GB simultaneously on the GPS device

I was doing a search on exactly that question, when I came across your post. I wondered what would happen if I tried a 4gb card in my Vista HCX. Thanks for your info. I still want to know why Garmin can't come up with a firmware flash that would allow us to use the entire 4gb for maps.

I wonder how Topo would fit in?

Next time I see a 4gb card on sale...

Thanks for the info.

No go, Vista HCX support max 2025 map tiles. With topo 2008 map, you will hit this hard limit before you reach the 2GB, let alone 4GB.

A deal to die in half an hour

$15.99 - Lowest Ever, Today (april 23) Only A-DATA 4GB MicroSDHC Class 6 with SD Card Adapter

Go to Supermediastore.com, add it to your cart. Use 30% off Special Coupon Code: SUPER30(Exp 04/23/2008) at checkout. There is $5 rebate(expire: 04/23/08). And free shipping.

Does anyone know if this situation applies to the 60cx as well. I purchased a 4GB SDHC card with the excitement of being able to load the entire Navigator 2009 and TopoCanada in almost its entirety, however I am receiving a message along the lines of "too many items to transfer." Also, while my 60cx detects that I have 4gb available on the card, MapInstall seems to top out at 2gb. It is truly a shame if we are restricted to only 2gb of maps. Can someone please confirm?

Thanks,

Matt

I still want to know why Garmin can't come up with a firmware flash that would allow us to use the entire 4gb for maps.

Probably for the same reason that Garmin units are still limited to 1000 Waypoints and 10,000 track points. Some things are too tightly ingrained in the code to change without blowing it all up.

I still want to know why Garmin can't come up with a firmware flash that would allow us to use the entire 4gb for maps.

nnovation

One entry found.

Probably for the same reason that Garmin units are still limited to 1000 Waypoints and 10,000 track points. Some things are too tightly ingrained in the code to change without blowing it all up.

innovation

in·no·va·tion

\ˌi-nə-ˈvā-shən\

Function:

noun

Date:

15th century

1 : the introduction of something new 2 : a new idea, method, or device : novelty

Hi Pyropete,

I use Mapsource and save the file as dot-gpx format, then using POI Loader you can load unlimited waypoints to GPS'r. :o

Well i installed POI Loader today and I'm still trying to figure out how I could just store the waypoints on the MicroSD card and not the internal memory. I downloaded a coordinate and saved it as a .GPX file, but for some reason the program (POI Loader) dosen't recognize it. I have EasyGPS installed on my PC and everytime I save a GPX file, it uses EasyGPS to open it. Maybe removing EasyGPS would help, but I'm not sure.

I would of posted screenshots but the image servers i use must of took a day off today.

Any and all help will be much appreciated. I'm sure i'll be able to figure this out soon.

- Pete