My neighbors

redtech

Sorry, this is sort of off topic, but I didn't see any better place to put it. :D

We live in the country. We have neighbors that are about 1/4 of a mile from us and then no other houses for at least a mile. Our neighbors are really shifty and fidgity. They keep really strange hours which I know is none of my business. They are constantly coming over to borrow stuff and yes they give it back but come one! Buy your own lawn mower!!! I don't think they're married but the "wife" is always calling my husband crying about how she got her truck stuck in their back yard or their well ran dry and she needs my husband to come over and help. He's a good guy, and he always goes to help, but it really gets old.

Last summer, my husband started telling me stories that the guy was telling him. The wife has apparently been seeing a black panther in the area... We live in South Central Illinois. I could almost believe it if she said a bob cat or cougar or something, but come on. So she sees this supposed black panther at night and they have to start shooting at it. One of the places they've supposedly seen it is in an ajoining cow pasture... which includes black calves. She still swears its not a calf but a black panther. Her brother has been coming around with some type of rifle that he proudly converted to a semi automatic. Sweet.

Did I mention I have a 4 year old and almost 2 year old?

We heard them shooting every once in a while but wasn't too excessive until recently. They have been shooting every night for the past week or so.

My husband happened to see the guy outside the other day so he stopped to talk. Apparently the wife is frantic because they've been having "Little kids come up and knock on their door and run away". WHAT? They said little kids hang out up on the corner near their house and yell swear words at them and break stuff in their yard (an old toilet) They were really shocked that we weren't having little kids bother us. They also have a problem with loud trucks driving by on the road. They think these people are driving by with their loud trucks just to spy on them. They talked to the village cop and told him they were going to start shooting at the trucks too.

Are these people NUTS??? I'm scared to death to have them living next to us. They've GOT to be on something. I'm so scared they're going to have their delusions and come over to our house and kill us.

Most of the shooting they do is with a shot gun. How far can shotgun slugs travel? 1/4 of a mile? :D

Another upsetting part is that I was going to put one of my first hides on that corner. Its technically on my husband property. Its just sort of a little neat spot at the side of the road but I'll be darned if I'm going to now. I'd hate to luer a fellow cacher into a death trap for my delusional neighbors. I had some better ideas than that one anyway.

What can we do? Anybody have any advice?

Sorry, this is sort of off topic, but I didn't see any better place to put it. :D

We live in the country. We have neighbors that are about 1/4 of a mile from us and then no other houses for at least a mile. Our neighbors are really shifty and fidgity. They keep really strange hours which I know is none of my business. They are constantly coming over to borrow stuff and yes they give it back but come one! Buy your own lawn mower!!! I don't think they're married but the "wife" is always calling my husband crying about how she got her truck stuck in their back yard or their well ran dry and she needs my husband to come over and help. He's a good guy, and he always goes to help, but it really gets old.

Last summer, my husband started telling me stories that the guy was telling him. The wife has apparently been seeing a black panther in the area... We live in South Central Illinois. I could almost believe it if she said a bob cat or cougar or something, but come on. So she sees this supposed black panther at night and they have to start shooting at it. One of the places they've supposedly seen it is in an ajoining cow pasture... which includes black calves. She still swears its not a calf but a black panther. Her brother has been coming around with some type of rifle that he proudly converted to a semi automatic. Sweet.

Did I mention I have a 4 year old and almost 2 year old?

We heard them shooting every once in a while but wasn't too excessive until recently. They have been shooting every night for the past week or so.

My husband happened to see the guy outside the other day so he stopped to talk. Apparently the wife is frantic because they've been having "Little kids come up and knock on their door and run away". WHAT? They said little kids hang out up on the corner near their house and yell swear words at them and break stuff in their yard (an old toilet) They were really shocked that we weren't having little kids bother us. They also have a problem with loud trucks driving by on the road. They think these people are driving by with their loud trucks just to spy on them. They talked to the village cop and told him they were going to start shooting at the trucks too.

Are these people NUTS??? I'm scared to death to have them living next to us. They've GOT to be on something. I'm so scared they're going to have their delusions and come over to our house and kill us.

Most of the shooting they do is with a shot gun. How far can shotgun slugs travel? 1/4 of a mile? B)

Another upsetting part is that I was going to put one of my first hides on that corner. Its technically on my husband property. Its just sort of a little neat spot at the side of the road but I'll be darned if I'm going to now. I'd hate to luer a fellow cacher into a death trap for my delusional neighbors. I had some better ideas than that one anyway.

What can we do? Anybody have any advice?

:D They told a cop they were going to start shooting at passing trucks on the highway, and the cop didn't do anything? Um... My first instinct would be to talk to the police, but...

:D They told a cop they were going to start shooting at passing trucks on the highway, and the cop didn't do anything? Um... My first instinct would be to talk to the police, but...

Yeah. What a great cop we have, huh? I figured since they had already talked to the police themselves, then they probably wouldn't do much. Plus I'd hate for the policeman to go to their house and tell them their neighbors called the cops on them. Or they might shoot the policeman when he knocks on the door. :D

Is it possible to place anonymous calls to the police?

I think with todays phone technology, the source of the call can be found very accurately.

I bet your neighbor is pretending to be crazy in the hopes you will sell your homestead, I bet there will be a anonomous buyer that will turn out to be your neighbor.

To be safe, I would not place a cache in your area. I see too much liability if your neighbor decided to discharge a firearm.

Most of the shooting they do is with a shot gun. How far can shotgun slugs travel? 1/4 of a mile?

[/quote}

I teach firearms shooting for the Boy Scouts, depending on the type (velocity) of shotgun cartridge, the shot can travel over 2000 feet. We have a 1/2 mile buffer on the shotgun shooting range.

I wish you well.

Yeah. What a great cop we have, huh? I figured since they had already talked to the police themselves, then they probably wouldn't do much. Plus I'd hate for the policeman to go to their house and tell them their neighbors called the cops on them. Or they might shoot the policeman when he knocks on the door. :D

You only have their word that they told that to the cops, and judging by the rest of the story I wouldn't trust that to be accurate. (it doesn't matter if they are lying or delusional, if they are shooting at shadows in the dark they are dangerous) I would call the cops to let them know what's up. If the cops are "on their side" you at least know that ahead of time. My guess is the cops either know your nieghbors are nuts or have never talked to them.

You have 2 and 4 year old kids? I think I would be putting up 3 or 4 streetlight posts a few feet on my side of the property boundary. They can't shoot at shadows if there are never any shadows. True, your power bill will go up $30 a month, but that's a small price to pay considering what could happen otherwise.

If ever something cried out for the "rest of the story", this is it.

Dude.. :D what else do you want to know? I thought I was a little too wordy actually.

Thanks everyone for their insight and thoughts.

I really don't think they are trying to scare us off our property. They wouldn't be able to afford it I'm sure. The "Husband" has said they've got trouble making their car payments and stuff.

sometimes when we talk to them, they seem so normal, then I hear these crazy stories about Black Panthers and little kids terrorizing their property.

The flood lights to get rid of any shadows is a good idea too!

If ever something cried out for the "rest of the story", this is it.

Dude.. :D what else do you want to know? I thought I was a little too wordy actually.

Thanks everyone for their insight and thoughts.

I really don't think they are trying to scare us off our property. They wouldn't be able to afford it I'm sure. The "Husband" has said they've got trouble making their car payments and stuff.

sometimes when we talk to them, they seem so normal, then I hear these crazy stories about Black Panthers and little kids terrorizing their property.

The flood lights to get rid of any shadows is a good idea too!

Gosh... and here we thought that we were really trying hard to be good neighbors to you. And no, we are not trying to scare you off your property; we have no interest in buying your land. And, at least you seem to admit that the small kids who harass us, and the black panthers, are real. As for making the car payments, well, gee, some months, after I am done stocking up on ammunition at the gun shop, and on stocking up on dynamite at the blasting supply company in town, there is not much left over for food or car payments... At least I've got my priorities right...

:D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Make sure that cache you hide is in an ammo can. A BIG ammo can. :D Right now I can't find the biggest I found, but I remember seeing rocket boxes, something like 4'x1'x1'.

Edward

Wouldn't they shoot the ammo can? It might hold a black panther.

Either that, or steal it when they run out of bullets.

In the past I have volunteered with mentally ill people. This family sounds like there is something not quite right. I would talk to the police. I have a feeling that they never spoke to the police. The trucks "spying", "panthers" creeping around, and "mysterious children" all sound like schizophrenic delusions. In my experience people with this illness can be very convincing since they believe what they see and hear are real. I also find it hard to believe that Police will let them shoot at random trucks. You need to speak to the police or a sheriff.

The Off Topic Forum is one of the other "perks" of Premium Membership. ;)

Oh thanks! I guess I need to ante-up! :)

Now, if we just moved every off-topic post immediately to the premium member only off topic forum we might get more people like you to ante-up. I've never read the off-topic forum but I'm a premium member and won't hesitate for a second to re-up when my membership comes due next month.

We are in East Central IL and I have seen a "panther". It was a black cougar, several of which have been seen numerous times in Clark county alone. That's why I carry my camera with me at all times, hoping I see it again. They exist here but I think your neighboring wife is a few fries shy of a Happy Meal.

You might tell your neighbors that the position of the Conservation Cops is that if there isn't a specific hunting season for it then they are poaching and if they kill it they will go to jail along with a hefty fine. If they kill the neighbors cow/calves they will be liable for destruction of private property.

A call to the police, not 911 but an office call, might go a long way toward getting the shooting stopped, too.

By they way....put 911 on a speed dial....with neighbors like that you'll probably need it.

For what it's worth, as a life-long resident of the area I can tell you there have been rumors of big black cats in the area for as long back as I can remember (Monday).

(it's been a long week).

I'm about 15 miles northwestish of GraveChaser, so it's pretty much the same stories. The only credible one I really know (other than GraveChaser) is a friend who encountered one on a trail while mushroom hunting. He won't go out unarmed any more.

As for your neighbor....ugh....there are some things scarier than big black cats.

funny-pictures-black-cat-invisible-text-message-breakup.jpg

Familiarize yourself with Illinois law, as well as county/city ordinance. Your local law enforcement should be able to help you learn what's legal and what's not. Let them know everything they are doing. Depending on how your laws are, they may have to physically see them committing the offense before they can take action.

It sounds like they may be doing crystalmeth. I had a co-worker who was on it and he heard voices, was VERY paranoid, thought people were in his yard and house, thought someone was following him, saw people sitting in his truck beside him, etc. He even thought he had things constantly circleing around his head and that a chicken kept jumping on his neck. Meth is bad stuff. One common side effect of crystalmeth is what they call methbugs. They feel as if they see or have something under their skin and start to pick sores all over their body. It is really nasty! Does she exhibit any of these sores?

Or she could possibly have some type of mental illness. It is common for people with schizophrenia to hear and see things that do not exist.

I would definately contact the police and if you do not get any satisfaction from the local officials just move on up the ladder.

Unfortunately there are a lot of these folks around here!

Scary, unbalanced redneck drunks with guns is just a fact of life.

In Alabama guns are not registered and for home and hunting use no permit is required.

In most rural areas there are no laws regarding when and where you can shoot, and almost everyone has long guns if not pistols.

Your neighbors telling the police that they are going to start shooting at noisy trucks probably does not rise to the level of an actionable threat, so most likely they DID tell the cop that - there's just not anything the officer can do about it until they actually shoot someone.

For good or ill our nation's laws are set up to punish crime, not prevent it.

It sounds like they may be doing crystalmeth. I had a co-worker who was on it and he heard voices, was VERY paranoid, thought people were in his yard and house, thought someone was following him, saw people sitting in his truck beside him, etc. He even thought he had things constantly circleing around his head and that a chicken kept jumping on his neck. Meth is bad stuff. One common side effect of crystalmeth is what they call methbugs. They feel as if they see or have something under their skin and start to pick sores all over their body. It is really nasty! Does she exhibit any of these sores?

Or she could possibly have some type of mental illness. It is common for people with schizophrenia to hear and see things that do not exist.

I would definately contact the police and if you do not get any satisfaction from the local officials just move on up the ladder.

I couldn't agree more with this post. And I've worked with schizophrenics as well as drug abusers and this sounds a lot more like some meth users to me.

If they are cooking meth, you may notice a very pungent chemical-like smell. I've heard it described as a smell similar to cat urine, but a lot stronger. If you even get a hint that you suspect they are cooking, DO NOT APPROACH THE HOUSE - contact the authorities and ask them to check it out and make sure you tell them you suspect a meth house so they can come with their haz-mat suits available.

Good luck

<snip>

our nation's laws are set up to punish crime, not prevent it.

As it should be. In general terms there is NO way to prevent crime. You can punish criminals appropriately in an effort to discourage crime but you can't prevent it.

Yup, thus the OP's delimma - lunatic though these folks sound, providing that there are no firearm discharge laws where they live, they are law-abiding citizens... right up till they shoot some unlucky passerby!