Owner leaked coords before an FTF!

Yes its not "fair" if someone leaked the coordinates to his friend.

I'm sorry, but could someone explain this statement for me? I really want to understand how this is "not fair". I have done it. Magellen did it with their caches on this site. I imagine dozens, if not hundreds of people have or do do this on a regular basis.

If it truly is not "fair", have they announced a date that PMOC's will be opened to all?

"I've been caching for 5 years and have almost 4000 hides and now someone caching for less than a year with 155 finds implies that there is a rule I don't know about and maybe if I found more caches I would know this "

You are 100% right. Compared to you, I'm also a super noobie and by my logic should also not hide the one i did. (which to be honest, i don't think most people care for. lol)

I admit that I was wrong in my thinking. I now realize there is no rules on that, and geocaching is a listing service only. I think I was just spoiled by the fact, the ones i went after, the owners didn't report coords till after it was published. With the message system and my own limited experience, I made up rules that don't exist.

I will also admit, I seen some good caches by geocachers who are just starting out.

I was peed, but now see I was wrong, and that I need to "chill out". Thanks everyone for letting me see the error of my ways/thinking.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I would like to thank the OP for reading and considering the advice given in the responses to this thread. That is all too rare in these forums. You learn a whole lot more when you keep an open mind and listen to different viewpoints. I know I have!
I have to agree. I was happy to see his post, and I'm even happier to see yours, Keystone. It's rare to see someone acknowledge that they might have been a little off-base and perhaps even more rare to have it recognized. Kudos all around. Now where is that rear-end kissing icon when you need it? :)
I would like to thank TC for recognizing Keystone for recognizing the OP. This type of recognition is rare and should be recognized.

I personally can't stand the people who post in threads that they been caching longer and have found more caches and therefore they know better than someone who has only been around for less than a year and only has a couple of hundred finds. I can't understand why anyone would change their opinion based on such an argument. Perhaps, its because the OP used the same argument to criticize an even newer cache owner for doing something wrong. I wish to apologize to Keystone, Trinity's Crew, and sbell11 who all have been caching a lot longer than me (although I have more finds :) ) for using the I been around longer so I know better argument. The real way to tell if someone knows better is when they know how to use the quote function in the forums. :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...53-53e2c169324e

This happened in my area. A very new geocacher leaked the coords to a friend before it was even published. A sin!!

I really do believe there should be a rule/policy that one must find at least 50 caches before being able to hide one. Would help keep this sort of thing from happening.

Is there any geo-police one can contact to sort of warn people not to do this sort of thing? Or is what they did ok? Does anyone else feel 50 would be a good number before being able to publish a cache?

Anyway, I realize its all about having fun, so maybe its just me, and i'll way too serious about everything and what happened.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I don't see anything wrong with the fact that he told someone where an unpublished cache was, if I was the first person to find it by getting the coordinates off the website I'd count it in my FTF's though.

If it truly is not "fair", have they announced a date that PMOC's will be opened to all?

Paying members don't get access before non-paying menbers; we just get told about them. They're still there for everyone to see at the same time.

OK, but this response is on the assumption that it is not fair. How is giving the coords early not fair?

I admit that I was wrong in my thinking. I now realize there is no rules on that, and geocaching is a listing service only.

<snip>

I was peed, but now see I was wrong, and that I need to "chill out".

Wow.

These comments show a lot of class. Welcome to geocaching!

I have 15 cache finds. Genuine finds. My friend has 14 (we were tied but I had to get a one up on him heh). We are planning a few caches. One that isn't really a multi but leads to a treasure cache of which we plan to put rules in each of the other caches that will lead to this secret cache. There's an acronym for why I am doing that, CYA.

I'm not an idiot and told my friend that we need to make sure we are within the guidelines and rules. We are both excited about hiding these. Before hand though we may do one or two test caches. Good caches, but ones that will not be anything extraordinary. I plan to hide one and tell him to try and find it. No claim for either of us (what's the point?) but more to make sure we get the coordinates as accurate as humanly possible.

I have yet to get a ftf and am not really gunning for one (if it happens it happens). If this person didn't claim the FTF then I don't see how 1)it's a problem and 2) how it is a leaked cache. Seems to me it was a test run.

I've noticed something kind of disturbing here over the last few weeks. If certain things about this sport are making you upset yet not the vast majority you have a problem. Much like gambling. I would just stop now because it's a very consuming type of problem and all kidding aside, that is not healthy. As much as I really like this sport I'd hate it to tear someone apart.

I really new to this game (124 finds) since 1/12/08, but if an owner wants to test his cache & give the coords, so what.

I don't have any actual hides, I've only adopted 2 caches & replaced both of them with ammo cans.

I do have several hides in the works & they will not be "Crappy Caches". They will be ammo cans place where you will have to hike & possibly do some bushwacking to get to them.

The type & style of hide does not depend on how long someone had been caching or how many someone has hidden, it depends on the person.

If they like "Crappy Caches" then they will hide "Crapy Caches".

SOME of YOU take this way to serious.

Lighten UP!!!!

I have 15 cache finds. Genuine finds. My friend has 14 (we were tied but I had to get a one up on him heh). We are planning a few caches. One that isn't really a multi but leads to a treasure cache of which we plan to put rules in each of the other caches that will lead to this secret cache. There's an acronym for why I am doing that, CYA.

I'm not an idiot and told my friend that we need to make sure we are within the guidelines and rules. We are both excited about hiding these. Before hand though we may do one or two test caches. Good caches, but ones that will not be anything extraordinary. I plan to hide one and tell him to try and find it. No claim for either of us (what's the point?) but more to make sure we get the coordinates as accurate as humanly possible.

I have yet to get a ftf and am not really gunning for one (if it happens it happens). If this person didn't claim the FTF then I don't see how 1)it's a problem and 2) how it is a leaked cache. Seems to me it was a test run.

I've noticed something kind of disturbing here over the last few weeks. If certain things about this sport are making you upset yet not the vast majority you have a problem. Much like gambling. I would just stop now because it's a very consuming type of problem and all kidding aside, that is not healthy. As much as I really like this sport I'd hate it to tear someone apart.

According to some members on this board, I am surprised they are not flaming your for being too new to even post in the forums.

;)

According to some members on this board, I am surprised they are not flaming your for being too new to even post in the forums.

:unsure:

Oh, I've already been told the hows and whys of man made satellites by a 70 year old astrologist that looks to be about 40 or 50 and using a lot of ridiculus words.

As with any endeavor there is bound to be some turds. I think it's some sort of power trip on a lower level.

Since first commenting on this post several days ago, after only a few finds I had an exceptional idea for a P&G cache, I placed the cache with a "seasoned cacher" so I wouldn't mess it up, walking me through the steps. Even though she "knew" where it was, she let someone else be the FTF, then signed later to clear her page. I'm grateful of the positive comments (to my new cache), as a "newbie" in anything in life you or when making a non-issue statement you ((should)) learn by your mistakes, as the original poster has done, we're all now beating a dead horse, Thanks for the learning experience!!