Owner leaked coords before an FTF!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...53-53e2c169324e

This happened in my area. A very new geocacher leaked the coords to a friend before it was even published. A sin!!

I really do believe there should be a rule/policy that one must find at least 50 caches before being able to hide one. Would help keep this sort of thing from happening.

Is there any geo-police one can contact to sort of warn people not to do this sort of thing? Or is what they did ok? Does anyone else feel 50 would be a good number before being able to publish a cache?

Anyway, I realize its all about having fun, so maybe its just me, and i'll way too serious about everything and what happened.

--danny

-mo_town_man

This happened in my area. A very new geocacher leaked the coords to a friend before it was even published. A sin!!

I really do believe there should be a rule/policy that one must find at least 50 caches before being able to hide one. Would help keep this sort of thing from happening.

Is there any geo-police one can contact to sort of warn people not to do this sort of thing? Or is what they did ok? Does anyone else feel 50 would be a good number before being able to publish a cache?

Anyway, I realize its all about having fun, so maybe its just me, and i'll way too serious about everything and what happened.

--danny

-mo_town_man

Ding, ding, ding, ding...

I get just as frustrated with newbies placing crap caches after only finding a few them selves...that were probably crap too...but there will never be a 'thou must find x caches before placing one' rule.

Better to just ignore it and them.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I think you should just not worry about it.

I think you should also be required to have found 2000 caches before you're allowed to hide a cache.

While I agree that experienced cachers usually put out better hides and that there are cachers that put a premium on being the FTF, I'm not sure how these facts are related nor how a 50 cache minimum would fix the situation you describe. Personally I don't know how many FTFs I have. It's just not something I keep track of.. I'm having enough trouble keeping my average difficulty and terrain levels above 1.75. :D Point is we all do our own thing so there's not much use in trying to change it.

I don't see how requiring 50 finds would have stopped this person from giving out the coordinates before publication. That's the sort of thing you'd really only glean from being involved in the caching community via forums and events.

At any rate, leaking the coordinates to someone first is their call. Several times, I've seen cache coordinates given out at events before they're published. Or published on another site before it's published here.

Things like this make me glad I'm not into FTFs.

ETA: I'm also opposed to find minimums in general. Someone could easily find 50 LPCs in a day just to meet the requirement and have learned nothing about caching except how to hide an LPC. Or it would encourage fake logs. Numbers don't matter, and it's best they stay that way.

Edited by Dinoprophet

Geocaching.com is just a listing service. The owner can choose to list his cache here whenever he wants, and ought to be able to tell other people the coordinates before then. It's the owner's cache.

If you're looking for geo-police, please don't bother your local cache reviewer. There's nothing wrong here under the listing guidelines.

I think it is helpful for cachers to have a few finds under their belt before placing one of their own as well. But to me, the main question asked here really has nothing to do with how seasoned the cache owner is. It's more about common sense, or in this case, the cache owner's lack of it. You don't have to be a "professional" cacher to know that this is a goofy practice...

Of course, it may not have anything to do with common sense at all. This may be the way the cacher and his friends are, lacking of integrity and good sportsmanship!

To the OP,, unfortunately things like this happen from time to time. Don't let it get you down any. I'd simply ignore that person's caches if they continued to leak coordinates on future hides.

This is actually not as uncommon a practice as you think. Many, myself included, give out the coords prior to the cache being published. It affects no one and the cache gets a "running start".

I guess we could have him flogged in the town square, unless you don't think that's severe enough. We really need the authority to excommunicate the uninformed from the game, but until then, flogging will have to suffice.

:D

Geocaching is just a game, and it's a game with few rules. Mostly it has guidelines, but very few rules. The new ones will do it differently from the veterans, but that doesn't make it wrong, just different. Maybe go get a glass of tea, relax, read the comics, and then go find the cache. Leave the new guy a nice note in the log book, and write a pleasant log online. Then you can sit back and bask in the knowledge you've done good in the world. Over time, you may have the chance the lead the new guy to the light, and show him how you gurus do it.

Until then, don't let it upset your tea cart. It's not that important. Have a Coke and a smile. :D

... This may be the way the cacher and his friends are, lacking of integrity and good sportsmanship!
Please explain why you believe this practice to be 'lacking in integrity and good sportsmanship'.

I wondered that too. This practice in no way affects other geocachers, except those who play the FTF game, and as ubiquitous as that is, it's not an essential part of geocaching. Cachers are not beholden to the FTF game.

I am approaching the 50 cache find number and have 3 hidden *laughs* A cache required find minimum will only prevent caches from being placed in game. Not all of us can power cache and get 10 finds a day.

As for telling the coords.... so? Its nothing to get bent out of shape for. If he accidentally told the friend, oh well - accidents happen. If he deliberately told his friend.... so? His cache, his choice. It doesn't affect my game play either way.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I think you are taking life, and this sport, way too seriously. The practice of owners revealing waypoint coordinates for a new, yet-to-be-published cache to geo-friends or on regional/state geocaching forums is quite commonplace in some regions, and it certainly does not bother me at all. And, it is certainyl not agains the rules or guidelines of any geocache listing service or geocaching organization, and it is certainly not an ethical or moral violation. In fact, in our very early days of caching, I believe that I first listed coordinates for two of my new and yet-to-be-published wilderness caches on our local Maryland forum, for the benefit of a few folks who were very interested in the particular locations.

I get just as frustrated with newbies placing crap caches after only finding a few them selves...that were probably crap too...but there will never be a 'thou must find x caches before placing one' rule.

I placed my first cache 4 years ago after only 5-10 finds. It's still there, gets good reviews, and has nearly 100 finds.

There are cachers out there with 500+ finds, and hide crap.

So now what?

Let people hide crappy caches, and reply with good ones.

Let people trade down or not at all, and reply with awesome swag and cool siggy items.

You can't change the people, but you can change how you reply to them and their actions.

You'll enjoy the game far more when you play according to your standards.

The proposed limit would just add another rule to a game that doesn't need it.

The cache owner owns the cache before it's ever listed on this site. They can do as they please until then.

It's not uncommon for someone to have someone else give the cache a trial run to make sure they have good coords, the cache is fun, the clues work or whatever. That has nothing to do with having a bunch of finds under your belt. Also the desire to have a good cache upon listing remains long after you have found or placed 1 or 1000 caches.

Personally I think people should place caches when they have an idea for a cache. Simple as that.

There is no requirement that caches be left unfound till after publication for the FTF crowd. Around here people will often place a tribute cache to honor a cacher on a milestone and give coordinates to the honoree before the cache is officially published. We also have cases where cachers claim a find as a beta finder if they are with the hider when the cache is hidden. The general practice in that case is to not log online until after the first to find does (and to indicate beta finder in the log by leaving the coveted FTF position opened). FTF used to be a friendly competition between a few people who liked the extra challenge of beating the other FTF'ers in the area to a cache, or maybe they just like that fact that you could often meet someone else a the cache site looking for that FTF. I suspect that the instant notify capability has lead some to believe that FTF is a sanctioned part of the game and should have rules to make it "fair". Back in the old days, it was quite common to give advanced notice of caches to friends (and I suspect this is still the case). If geocaching.com wishes to make it a rule that you can't let people look for your cache before it gets published they ought to list that somewhere.

I don't see any connection with how many caches someone has found and not telling friend about the cache before it is published. This is the first time I have seen this as reason to require a certain number of finds before you can hide a cache. I've been caching for 5 years and have almost 4000 hides and now someone caching for less than a year with 155 finds implies that there is a rule I don't know about and maybe if I found more caches I would know this :D

Geocaching.com is just a listing service. The owner can choose to list his cache here whenever he wants, and ought to be able to tell other people the coordinates before then. It's the owner's cache.

If you're looking for geo-police, please don't bother your local cache reviewer. There's nothing wrong here under the listing guidelines.

Totally agreed. Nothing wrong whatsoever with giving people coordintes to your hidden object and later listing it as a Geocache.

And I see no connection whatsoever between number of finds and cache quality. Not in my experience anyway.

....I get just as frustrated with newbies placing crap caches after only finding a few them selves...that were probably crap too......

If cachers place what they find.

And we started with good caches.

Where did the crap come from?

Deep. Very deep. :D

As far as the leaked coords, it happens everywhere. It's happened to me a couple of times when I was the first one there, and it was hundreds of miles apart. Nothing can (or will) be done about it. You just have to smile and move on.

I've also seen many cachers who will give the coords out to "testers" as many have mentioned, and the testers generally don't get all up in people's faces with WooHoo! FTF! type proclimations. :D

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

"I've been caching for 5 years and have almost 4000 hides and now someone caching for less than a year with 155 finds implies that there is a rule I don't know about and maybe if I found more caches I would know this "

You are 100% right. Compared to you, I'm also a super noobie and by my logic should also not hide the one i did. (which to be honest, i don't think most people care for. lol)

I admit that I was wrong in my thinking. I now realize there is no rules on that, and geocaching is a listing service only. I think I was just spoiled by the fact, the ones i went after, the owners didn't report coords till after it was published. With the message system and my own limited experience, I made up rules that don't exist.

I will also admit, I seen some good caches by geocachers who are just starting out.

I was peed, but now see I was wrong, and that I need to "chill out". Thanks everyone for letting me see the error of my ways/thinking.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I really do believe there should be a rule/policy that one must find at least 50 caches before being able to hide one.

Like others, I've seen little correlation between find count and hide quality.

There are certain limited exceptions. Hiders with zero finds usually hide crap.

I think the best predicters of hide quaility are 1) willingness to read and understand the guidelines 2) attention to various aspects of the outdoors, and 3) awareness of the response of materials to weather exposure. Problem is that unlike find count, you can't easily measure these.

Not everyone who CAN read (read English) actually reads and understands. There is no way you can legislate that they must. Standardized tests in schools are a horrific fiasco -- a standardized test measures how well you can take a standardized test, nothing else -- and if the politicians who are trying to mess with the schools can't force kids to read and understand, then geocachers may as well accept this inability as part of life.

People who've spent a lot of time outdoors are going to be aware of places, locations, vegetation, seasonal changes, etc. I would certainly encourage those without such experience to acquire it, geocaching or not. But one of the most effective ways to acquire this experience is to hide a cache and watch what happens to it.

One surprise to me in geocaching has been how few people have the slightest clue as to how fast most plastics (including the polyethylene used for most food containers) degrade in the outdoors, especially when exposed to sunlight. Even I didn't fully realize the extent to which containers intended for food storage in the refrigerator do not even pretend to be moisture-tight under conditions of constantly changing temperature and air pressure. I don't even have a suggestion as to how to get people to learn. One *could* legislate allowed containers, but then that would be just a rule rather than knowledge and the ability to apply it. And the outdoors isn't all the same, and containers which work in one place fail in another.

Edward

I've a mind to hide a cache. I think I'll post the coords on my back bumper for a month before I list it on GCdotcom. Why, because I can. It is my cache. I can disseminate the coordinates in any manner I wish. If I want to stand on the street corner and hand out fliers that is my choice to make. You want to guarantee that you get FTF on my caches? You better start following me around. Be warned though, I stop suddenly and without warning.

I am extremely new to this entertainment, yet I've been anxious to hide my own cache. As someone who is pretty clever, I'm holding out to make the perfect container as well as hide. I personally want to find more caches to have a better idea of what's fun and or difficult to me. That doesn't mean everyone shares my opinion/drive. I am very excited to participate in this, and can't wait to see my not so good at standardized testing, color blind, autistic spectrum disabled child involved.... :D

--danny

-mo_town_man

Yet another elitest geocacher. Why not just close off the forums and geocaching.com to all newcomers until they prove themselves. Or why not just not allow any new people so you can have your own private club. You can be just like a private country club, exclusive only to the very best of society and closed off to all of the unwashed masses.

Perhaps instead of bashing newcomers and bashing newcomers and their hides, how about helping them and passing on your experiences?

Instead, you treat your knowledge as devine and only those who have been around forever are privy to it.

A piece of good advice to you allanon - get over yourself.

Edited by nthacker66

--danny

-mo_town_man

A newbie cacher ask someone with a few more finds under his belt to attempt to find his first hide effort, before releasing it to the general public. And how exactly is this bad????

A very new geocacher leaked the coords to a friend before it was even published.

I really do believe there should be a rule/policy that one must find at least 50 caches before being able to hide one.

I'm closely approaching my 1K mark, and I've leaked the coords to a few of my hides before they were published. Typically, the conversation went something to the effect of, "Hey Bill/George/Sue/etc, care to beta test my latest multi?" By having someone who was not associated with the hide run through it, I can get a better grasp on how effective my hide is. To date, everyone who has done so has forgone the FTF prize, waiting to log their find until someone else finds it post publication, but since they did find it first, it wouldn't bother me if they claimed the FTF.

As a cache owner, you have every right to announce the coords to your cache in any format you wish, from phoning a buddy to listing it here on GC .com. The number of finds a person has is probably irrelevant to the issue.

... This may be the way the cacher and his friends are, lacking of integrity and good sportsmanship!
Please explain why you believe this practice to be 'lacking in integrity and good sportsmanship'.

I wondered that too. This practice in no way affects other geocachers, except those who play the FTF game, and as ubiquitous as that is, it's not an essential part of geocaching. Cachers are not beholden to the FTF game.

I didn't and still haven't clicked on the link to see what was going on with the cache that the OP brought up. From reading most of this thread though, it appears that the coordinates may have been given out before publishment (not a word i bet), to make sure everything looked good with it. It's not something i would do but i can understand why this may have been done.

Still, i stand by my statement in that i believe it is not good sportsmanship when a cache owner gives out coordinates to a certain person or persons (playing favorites) before the general caching population sees the cache posted, just so they can get the FTF. Yes i know that alot of you don't play the FTF game but i, and i know many others, enjoy the friendly competition. In this respect, it is a game for us and since it is, everyone should start off equal. I'm pretty sure that my feelings would be more like ya'll's if i didn't care about FTFs. Beta testing a cache is one thing, playing favorites is another.

Like said, it's the owner's cache and he or she can do pretty much what they want with it. Really no biggie as we haven't seen it happen around here. Well, except for that one time back in 2005, and believe me, i voiced my concern over that matter. The one question that i have is why anyone would feel good about themselves finding a cache first, only because they had coordinates given to them before anyone else?

The one question that i have is why anyone would feel good about themselves finding a cache first, only because they had coordinates given to them before anyone else?

Easy. They aren't playing the FTF race game and see no reason to cater to those who are.

Edit to say that if they ARE in fact playing the FTF game then yes, it is lame.

Edited by gof1

"I've been caching for 5 years and have almost 4000 hides and now someone caching for less than a year with 155 finds implies that there is a rule I don't know about and maybe if I found more caches I would know this "

You are 100% right. Compared to you, I'm also a super noobie and by my logic should also not hide the one i did. (which to be honest, i don't think most people care for. lol)

I admit that I was wrong in my thinking. I now realize there is no rules on that, and geocaching is a listing service only. I think I was just spoiled by the fact, the ones i went after, the owners didn't report coords till after it was published. With the message system and my own limited experience, I made up rules that don't exist.

I will also admit, I seen some good caches by geocachers who are just starting out.

I was peed, but now see I was wrong, and that I need to "chill out". Thanks everyone for letting me see the error of my ways/thinking.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I would like to thank the OP for reading and considering the advice given in the responses to this thread. That is all too rare in these forums. You learn a whole lot more when you keep an open mind and listen to different viewpoints. I know I have!

--danny

-mo_town_man

I would like to thank the OP for reading and considering the advice given in the responses to this thread. That is all too rare in these forums. You learn a whole lot more when you keep an open mind and listen to different viewpoints. I know I have!

I have to agree. I was happy to see his post, and I'm even happier to see yours, Keystone. It's rare to see someone acknowledge that they might have been a little off-base and perhaps even more rare to have it recognized. Kudos all around. Now where is that rear-end kissing icon when you need it? ;)

I think newbies should have to HIDE at least seven caches to validate their account. then they can go look for some. But if they FIND more than 257 they have to go to a public square in a big city, stand on a park bench in their underwear (preferably on a cold, windy day but I recoginse that this would not be feasible in warmer climates), wave their arms over their head whilst shouting "VENI VIDI VICI" and make the secret geocachers sign and shake hands with the first person to come by of a different religion than they profess, using the secret GC handshake.

Then they must find ONE more cache and chug a 32oz diet cola (no ice). After that, all will be well with the world.... except for Global Warming.

I've seen four caches placed by four different cachers who each had only one find. Each one of the four caches had significant problems. I've learned to ignore these until the bugs have been worked out. I would also suggest to any newbies that they place a few before hiding their first, but don't expect to see it as a rule.

As for the FTF tip-off, I'd claim the FTF if I was the first to find after it was published, even if someone found it prior to being published, because those are the criteria I impose on myself. If the cacher who received the tip-off also claimed FTF, they would be free to do so. I on the other hand would never claim FTF if I was tipped off. I guess my point here is that your FTF count is your own personal list based on your own criteria.

Still, i stand by my statement in that i believe it is not good sportsmanship when a cache owner gives out coordinates to a certain person or persons (playing favorites) before the general caching population sees the cache posted, just so they can get the FTF.

Playing favorites? What does that mean. If you're the second to find the cache the experience is less than....than......what?

Is it some sort of gift to find it first?

There is no "right" to a FTF. It's not a rule, and giving out the coords is not stopping anyone from geocaching, so how can it be "unsportsmanlike?" Geocaching is a perpetual game.....most of the time, you're playing against the hider. After it is found the first time....it can be found COUNTLESS times. Now, if you have some made-up game that you like the play (FTF) but the hider doesn't.......how is that wrong?

Would you get mad if I let my friends see my new car first before I posted pictures online?

The person who received the "leaked" coords did NOT claim FTF. I fail to see how it was a leak to begin with--was it some big secret? National Security issue? Big Mac Secret Sauce? The coords belong to the cache owner to do with as he sees fit. No one else's business. He's not playing the FTF game right? So what? You can't impose your own self-inflicted rules on other people's game. Number of hides/finds has nothing to do with it. A lot of newbs place good quality caches, a lot don't. A lot of experienced cachers place good quality caches, a lot don't. One has nothing to do with the other.

I'm closely approaching my 1K mark, and I've leaked the coords to a few of my hides before they were published. Typically, the conversation went something to the effect of, "Hey Bill/George/Sue/etc, care to beta test my latest multi?" By having someone who was not associated with the hide run through it, I can get a better grasp on how effective my hide is. To date, everyone who has done so has forgone the FTF prize, waiting to log their find until someone else finds it post publication, but since they did find it first, it wouldn't bother me if they claimed the FTF.

As a cache owner, you have every right to announce the coords to your cache in any format you wish, from phoning a buddy to listing it here on GC .com. The number of finds a person has is probably irrelevant to the issue.

Can you stick around for a few minutes? I need to go get my box of stones.

--danny

-mo_town_man

I have to agree. I was happy to see his post, and I'm even happier to see yours, Keystone. It's rare to see someone acknowledge that they might have been a little off-base and perhaps even more rare to have it recognized. Kudos all around. Now where is that rear-end kissing icon when you need it? :)
I would like to thank TC for recognizing Keystone for recognizing the OP. This type of recognition is rare and should be recognized.

Things like this are one of the reasons I don't get into the FTF game.

Way too much angst over something that ultimately doesn't matter to anyone except me.

Do any other cachers care if I am FTF? Doubtful.

Maybe only someone who is obsessed with FTFs.

Dont' get me wrong, I enjoy a good FTF hoot whenever I get one.

But I don't let FTF or no FTF stand in the way of enjoying my caching day.

If owners choose to give their friends coordinates to their caches prior to publication, it's no skin off my nose. The cache is still there for me to find when I'm ready to hunt for it.

My smiley is not even endangered! :)

This is actually not as uncommon a practice as you think. Many, myself included, give out the coords prior to the cache being published. It affects no one and the cache gets a "running start".

I have seen this at Cacher meetings. The people at the event get cache information and coordinates before the cache is even published on the site. Its one benefit to going to meetings. You get to see a new cache before the "general public"

Yes its not "fair" if someone leaked the coordinates to his friend. But its no sin...IMHO. Ive seen it happen, and it will continue. But thats the CACHE HIDER'S perogative, and whether someone is a newbie or not doesnt affect when it will happen.