Multi cache with Colorado

What method does anyone know to setup multi's with a Colorado? Would be cool if there was an option to add another waypoint right from the Geocache shortcut and navigate away.

Thanks,

Don

It's a real pain. This was much easier on the 60cs because you could just drop another geocache waypoint for the next stage, mark the current stage as found and goto the next geocache (which normally would be the new stage just entered).

On the Colorado I just exit geocaching mode, drop new waypoints for each stage and when I find the final I mark the geocache as found so I have the fieldnote for it. The problem is you have to bounce in and out of geocaching mode and you can't use the nice geocaching mode screens to find the intermediate stages.

I love having all the cache information on the Colorado and the fieldnotes are a nice addition but way you move through geocaches on the Colorado, even traditionals, leaves a lot to be desired.

GO$Rs

On the Colorado I just exit geocaching mode, drop new waypoints for each stage and when I find the final I mark the geocache as found so I have the fieldnote for it. The problem is you have to bounce in and out of geocaching mode and you can't use the nice geocaching mode screens to find the intermediate stages.

I love having all the cache information on the Colorado and the fieldnotes are a nice addition but way you move through geocaches on the Colorado, even traditionals, leaves a lot to be desired.

Can you please clairfy what the pros/cons of geocache mode are versus standard mode?

Also, what exactly makes it more difficult to move through geocaches?

I have an eTrex vistaC and am considering an upgrade to the Colorado.

Can you please clairfy what the pros/cons of geocache mode are versus standard mode?

Pros

Geocache mode includes all of the information for the cache (description, hint, log, type, size, owner, difficulty, etc....). It includes 5 different types of navigation screens. It allows you to log finds, DNFs, need maintenance. Can quickly upload the finds to Groundspeak.

Cons

Can not project a Geocache.

Can not modify a Geocache.

It includes 5 different types of navigation screens.

sorry, I should have specified that I am curious about the "nice geocaching mode screens" that g-o-cashers referred to are, and Red90 called "5 different types of navigation screens."

Can anyone shed some light into how they differ from, and are better/worse than the standard compass or map page views? Sadly the manual avail on the garmin website is quite limited...

cheers, Greg

Can anyone shed some light into how they differ from, and are better/worse than the standard compass or map page views? Sadly the manual avail on the garmin website is quite limited...

This is the first and normal screen.

914.jpg

Toggle down once and you get this.

919.jpg

Another time and this.

923.jpg

Press the left soft key (Options) and choose full screen compass.

932.jpg

or full screen map

946.jpg

These screens are all while staying in the Geocaching application. On the last two, the data fields are adjustable.

In addition to this, there are the description, hint and log screens.

Edited by Red90

The written description of how the three modes work is here in the FAQ. Also note that the operation of the enter (center button of the RnR) will differ in each of the three modes. In mode 1 you get the description, in mode 2 the compass screen and in mode 3 the full map screen. This can save you a couple of key presses.

I need to add some pictures like Red90's.

GO$Rs

Edited by g-o-cashers

What method does anyone know to setup multi's with a Colorado? Would be cool if there was an option to add another waypoint right from the Geocache shortcut and navigate away.

Thanks,

Don

It's a real pain. This was much easier on the 60cs because you could just drop another geocache waypoint for the next stage, mark the current stage as found and goto the next geocache (which normally would be the new stage just entered).

GO$Rs

Don't know if this is a little off-topic or not, but how do you enter field notes on the Colorado for your caches?

can the maps in the first 3 screen shots be zoomed in and out; if so how?

They can be zoomed in and out the same as the map page (500m->20ft) but you can't pan on this page like you can on the map page.

Don't know if this is a little off-topic or not, but how do you enter field notes on the Colorado for your caches?

Field notes are created when you mark a Geocache as Found, DNF, or Needs Maintenance. The Colorado has no ability to enter a text log as part of the field note, just the GC ID, timestamp and type (found, dnf, maintenance).

GO$Rs

can the maps in the first 3 screen shots be zoomed in and out; if so how?

They can be zoomed in and out the same as the map page (500m->20ft) but you can't pan on this page like you can on the map page.

so, given this limitation, and that you cannot enter new geocaches when in gecoaching mode, if you are in standard mode (i.e. the basic map and compass views):

1) are geocaches still visible on the map, thus allowing the pan feature to work?

2) can you use the equivalent of menu/find on my vistaC (and presumably most other garmin units as well) to select a geocache and get a bearing to it if the gecoache was loaded into the unit via a gpx file (i.e., not as a standard waypoint or a custom POI)?

3) most importantly - is there a way to view the cache info when NOT in gecoache mode - e.g.,after following the steps in my question #2?

I guess I'm getting at can you use the standard mode and still enjoy the benefits of the having the cache info on board, but avoid some of the apparent limitations of geocache mode?

Edited by somainer

1) Yes, you can see the caches and select them from the normal map screen via a pan and click as per older units.

2) Yes, that is within the Geocaching utility.

3) When you choose a cache from the map via panning, it brings up the Geocaching utility main screen for that cache (top screenshot) from where you can read the description, hints, logs, etc.... If you back out from there, you end up back on the normal map screen in the same panned to location.