Devious Micro Caches!

Ciao Tutti,

OK, I do like a micro in a "city" location, but what is the point of devious micros in a rural "wooded" location!!! ;)

I know that caching is each to his own, if you like a devious micro in a wood then good luck B)

BUT, if like me you only cache on co-ords, then you WILL find yourself looking for a micro in one of twenty trees!!!!!!!!! B)

My concern is that the whole area around the "GZ" becomes a total "trashing" of the the trees (fauna) but to what end?? B)

Do we need a new cache "listing" mini-rural, will take two hours poking about in a tree roots, but will be the wrong tree roots, come back in a couple of weeks and it will look like a BOMB SITE.

I COULD PLANT MANY "MICRO-RURALS". you offset the co-ords by about 20m, the clue is "tree roots" and then sit and watch, WHAT!! the DNFs. or the poor cachers trying to find the cache??

Is the purpose of caching to actual FIND the cache!! B)

If you are trying to guess my "caches" in question, look at my latest finds and see the other "local" caches B)

RANT OVER!! :anibad:

Cheers

Nick

<personal opinion>Couldn't agree more but there's them what like 'em and they comply with the guidelines so I keep on publishing them :D . My best advice is to read the cache page and if it's one of these (it's usually obvious) put it on your ignore list and go and hunt some "proper" caches. </personal opinion>

Well we love 'em - smaller the better; nanos preferred! We don't go trashing trees and messing up the countryside. We're country lovers and take great care when we look for caches. With a few caches we've given up the attempt to find them simply because we'd seen the results of previous cachers and didn't want to kick the area around any more.

There are bound to be a percentage of hooligans in geocaching just like any other interest but providing one takes care there is no need to restrict micros/nanos to "urban" areas. Several nanos we have done recently were magnetically fixed to metal farm gates, requiring the minimum of intelligence to guess where they were (which is why it took us hours!!!).

Not sure what the originator meant by only caching co-ords? Guess it means he doesn't use a GPS... but surely whole idea of geocaching is to use a GPS?

My concern is that the whole area around the "GZ" becomes a total "trashing" of the the trees (fauna) but to what end?? :D

Tend to agree with the OP but it's not just devious rural micro's that 'trash' the fauna, a well hidden non micro does this. I can think of a couple of non micro's that are so well hidden that the area looks like a bomb site!

OK, there are probably more devious rural micro's than well hidden non micro's but most caches destroy some sort of foilage i.e. the tell tale rabbit track of trodden down grass and holes through bushes that lead to the cache! :D

Personally we don't like micro's, the Mrs. likes to do swapsies B) but saying that we have a devious micro hidden in woodland but the deviousness is having to solve a Sudoko puzzle to get the coords and so get you in the general area then we have posted spolier photo's to help pin it down.

Variety is the spice of life. B)

... we have posted spolier photo's to help pin it down.

THAT'S a whole new can of worms in itself! Being paperless, it's a real pain getting to GZ and then noticing the hint says 'See spoiler photo in gallery' :D:D Yes it has happened and unless there's a VERY good reason (Grinnin' from 'ere to 'ere for example) this method should be avoided.

I broke my leg (knee cap) on monday whilst looking for a rural microcache. No hint as to it's location and so many hidey holes. In frustration, and after an hour of hunting, I ended up climbing higher up a rock face in desperate attempt to find it. Slab of rock gave way, pushed me off the ledge and I ended up flat on my back in the stream 10 ft below. Whole right leg now in plaster for at least 6 weeks.

Just want to stress that I'm NOT blaming the cache owner for this but I have suggested to him/her that cache description should include hint as to accurate location so that future seekers will not make same mistake in their frenzy to log a find

I have to agree with the OP here, in principle anyway. I would be disappointed to see micros in the woods as it is so unnecessary when a good-sized box gives so more satisfaction when found, especially for kids. It is also true that the environmental disburbance is bound to be less with a good sized cache as it will invariably be found more quickly. I do wonder sometimes if it is just lazyness or penny-pinching on behalf of the setter who can't be bothered to do it properly.

I do enjoy finding the odd magnetic micro or even nano in an urban environment, especially if they are well engineered and different from the norm, but my main interest in this game is moving TB's and geocoins around, so that rules out micros most of the time. We are all different, but that's just my personal way of doing things.

I broke my leg (knee cap) on monday whilst looking for a rural microcache. No hint as to it's location and so many hidey holes. In frustration, and after an hour of hunting, I ended up climbing higher up a rock face in desperate attempt to find it. Slab of rock gave way, pushed me off the ledge and I ended up flat on my back in the stream 10 ft below. Whole right leg now in plaster for at least 6 weeks.

Just want to stress that I'm NOT blaming the cache owner for this but I have suggested to him/her that cache description should include hint as to accurate location so that future seekers will not make same mistake in their frenzy to log a find

Reading this, I only have one word; Ponce.

Note to the mods: Fans of the first series of Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights, as well as the poster, will get the joke. :D

P.S. I hope you heal fast Clinton, and you're right, if there's a potentially dangerous location close by, the cache page should make it clear if it's not there, as well as if it is! On topic, I think micros have a role in rural locations, but only when a larger cache wouldn't be appropriate for some reason. A cool rural hide of a micro can be more fun than an ammo can under a mound of sticks for me, but then I'm not caching with kids and rarely make a trade...

Edited by Simply Paul

Note to the mods: Fans of the first series of Peter Kay's Phoenix Nights, as well as the poster, will get the joke. :D

Yup! :D

On topic, I think micros have a role in rural locations, but only when a larger cache wouldn't be appropriate for some reason. A cool rural hide of a micro can be more fun than an ammo can under a mound of sticks for me

I quite agree B)

Yup! :D

On topic, I think micros have a role in rural locations, but only when a larger cache wouldn't be appropriate for some reason. A cool rural hide of a micro can be more fun than an ammo can under a mound of sticks for me

I quite agree B)

How do you know? You've only found one cache, and that was an event! B)

Bad luck! :D

Our hobby can definately take us to precarious places at times.Especially if we go as the crow flies.

Good luck! :D

Now you have weeks to solve those Puzzle caches! B)

I would try and sue the cache placer!!!!!!! ;):)

If you want any advice I'm willing to help or NOT :):)

Sure most regulars will understand what I mean!!!! :):)

Nick :D:D

I have some sympathy with Nick - having followed him round Berkshire one afternoon but never having met. But do what I do: get to ground zero, try the obvious two or three locations, use the clues and previous logs and then call it a day. OK .... my DNF total mirrors my age but I dont care. Good luck.

I don't think I like micro's as a rule especially ones hidden in the wide open countryside, although my 100th was exactly that hidden on top of caer caradoc and good one it was too and I could see why it had to be a micro.

That said I don't mind finding a micro or even a nano if it's part of a multi that leads to a "proper" sized cache, this is important when young uns are with us as swaps are what we need then.

:):)

Ciao Tutti,

OK, I do like a micro in a "city" location, but what is the point of devious micros in a rural "wooded" location!!! ;)

I know that caching is each to his own, if you like a devious micro in a wood then good luck :D

BUT, if like me you only cache on co-ords, then you WILL find yourself looking for a micro in one of twenty trees!!!!!!!!! ;)

My concern is that the whole area around the "GZ" becomes a total "trashing" of the the trees (fauna) but to what end?? :D

Do we need a new cache "listing" mini-rural, will take two hours poking about in a tree roots, but will be the wrong tree roots, come back in a couple of weeks and it will look like a BOMB SITE.

I COULD PLANT MANY "MICRO-RURALS". you offset the co-ords by about 20m, the clue is "tree roots" and then sit and watch, WHAT!! the DNFs. or the poor cachers trying to find the cache??

Is the purpose of caching to actual FIND the cache!! ;)

If you are trying to guess my "caches" in question, look at my latest finds and see the other "local" caches :(

RANT OVER!! :D

Cheers

Nick

As much as you may hate rural micros, nothing is worse than the horror storys on this forum of nanos in bushes. pointless yes but still very satasfying when found.

I have to agree that there is great satisfaction when you find a micro/nano that has been cleverly hidden. I think the better the disguise the greater the hunt. but have to agree that to a point that there should be clear hint were cache is, isn't that why its encrypted no one makes you read. for me personally the msot annoying thing of all is after looking fro a cache and not finding it, going to read the hint and its as much use as a chocolate fire guard.....whats the point?

Pet subject! :unsure:

Nothing wrong at all with a devious rural micro: but like any cache it has to be well thought out with reference to the size of cache and the likely search area.

(This topic is not about hides where the challenge is meant to be in finding the cache).

A micro with a poor hint and description is just like an ammo box with a poor hint and description. Very frustrating and annoying. I've searched for a few good-sized caches (of the type that you're meant to find fairly easily) where the coordinates are clearly approximate, giving you a couple of thousand square metres of forest to search; there's no help in the description and the hint is all but useless. It's the same for a micro but on a smaller scale, so the hint has to be more precise.

After all, normally we only hide them to keep them out of sight of the non-caching public so I don't know why very specific hints are thought to be "bad form" by some.

Inspired by this thread, I may set up a "micro in the woods" to show that it can be an enjoyable and non-frustrating experience!

Not sure what the originator meant by only caching co-ords? Guess it means he doesn't use a GPS... but surely whole idea of geocaching is to use a GPS?

I actual cache with JUST a GPS with all the local "caches" loaded, I never have the cache page with me, so just have to "go it alone" based upon the co-ords :huh: It has done me OK to date managed a few 100s :)

Some caches listed as "U" undifined are perhaps my main gripe :unsure: