"Easy Hike, Hard hunt"

I like it. My favorites are the ones where you hike a little, and have some privacy for the hunt. If I take the kids, stealth can be a difficult accomplishment, so I have to choose which ones to take them on. They do like to hike, though, so that would be fine.

Believe it or not, not everyone is glued to the computer screen!

There is definitely a place for easy hikes with hard hunts, if done properly. Won't get as many finds as a drive-by.

I could suggest a few in north Jersey for you to try first, if you're interested. :anibad: If you're going to make it a hard hunt, at least make it an interesting one.

Personally, I prefer moderate to hard hikes followed by an easy hide (well hidden to avoid theft, but a good description and hint). While I'd enjoy the walk for the walk's sake, the cache was the reason for starting in the first place. A DNF would remove some of the fun.

Believe it or not, not everyone is glued to the computer screen!

There is definitely a place for easy hikes with hard hunts, if done properly. Won't get as many finds as a drive-by.

I could suggest a few in north Jersey for you to try first, if you're interested. :anibad: If you're going to make it a hard hunt, at least make it an interesting one.

I'm very interested ;)

Its your hide, you can do whatever you want. Some people like a difficult hide some a difficult hike, some both. However even though there are no rules against this, I think you should wait until you have a bunch of finds under your belt first, personally I waited until I had a 100 finds and I am glad I did. This way you have a better feel of what works and what not.

Almost every cache I have found that was placed by someone with less than 50 finds, the cache had problems like leaky containers, bad swag and just horrible locations. Like I said there are no rules against this its just my opinion.

If you have found a great location and have a good container in mind - feel free to hide. No need to wait until you have some artifical number of finds. Just make certain you have read the guidelines enough times to fully understand them. Then make sure your hide fits easily within all the guidelines and you should have no problems.

We've been planning our cache but we're still newbies and from what I've read here, you should have a little experience in the find department prior to placing a cache. That way you have a better idea of what works and what will get muggled.

To answer your question, we love the hike...and if you're gonna make it a hard hide then make it a cool cache container and a unique hide...NOT a micro in the bushes. Give the FTF a prize worth mentioning here in the forum.

That is a cache that we would travel for.

Edited by cowcreekgeeks

It depends on where the hike is to. If you make a hard hunt in the woods you increase the risk of damage to the area around the cache. If it's a hard hunt it should be on a durable surface. That would include paved areas, spots with already packed soil (like many urban and suburban parks) and large rock outcrops.

My philosophy is "If I can make it, it's not a hard hike. If I can find it, it's not a hard find." :anibad:

As everyone else has said. It's your cache. Hide one YOU would enjoy finding.. I both agree and disagree with the statement about waiting to hide until you have X number of finds.

I agree on the grounds of, yes it is better to have a good clear idea of what works well and what doesn't.

I disagree in that there is no reason one should not make a hide because they don't have X finds.

I believe that you simply need to be sure that all your bases are in order. Make sure you have a good container, one that won't leak and should withstand the test of time.

Make sure your location is not on private property (or that you have permission to place if it is), the location will withstand the test of time. (Under a manicured bush in a park? It's gonna be gone next time a grounds crew comes by)

Rest assured that no matter how you hide or what you hide. People WILL hunt it. an altoids tin in Wal Mart's parking lot? An ammo box atop Mt. Rushmore? A nano on the flagpole on the moon? (.. okay, so now I'm really stretching it)

It's just a matter of how many people you'll get, and what kind.