Clay TikiCoins!

tiki

Mahalo for the comments - I'm glad you all seem to like these little guys as much as I do :laughing:

Wanted to share a few more shots of the Clay TikiCOin progress. Here is #3 slowly taking over the drying rack:

5-11-2010_1.png

5-11-2010_2.png

2 things about these photos:

1) Yep, you read that correctly, this is #3. That means we've pressed out all 100 of #2, and will be firing them this week! (you can just make out some of the #2 coins on the lower racks)

2) And yes, that is a little hole in the top of the coin - just in case you want to make a tiki necklace (I know I will)!

Aloha -

Tiki

THAT is just freaking AWESOME!!! I bow to the Tiki muses :)

Aloha Folks!

7-10-10.png

Behold! All 100 of TikiCoin #1 loaded in the kiln for the final glaze firing! Not only are they cooking *as I type* - trackable TikiCoins #2, #3, and #4 are just about ready to go, and they all should be done by the end of the week. I can hardly believe it myself! It has been a long process bringing these coins from concept to reality, and we've enjoyed every minute of it. Will post official release dates soon, as well as news about a special *bonus surprise*!

Mahalo for your patience -

Tiki

Wanted to share a first glimpse of some of the finished trackable clay TikiCoins cooling after exiting the kiln. They turned out great - ancient looking and wonderful! The coins in this photo are piping hot - had to wear mittens to unload them. Better photos soon - felt you die-hard geocoin folks deserved a quick peek :laughing:

7-11-10.jpg

Hey Tiki, so maybe I missed it but how do you get the tracking number on the coin? Do you handwrite it? Great coins by the way! This is just genius!!!

Good question. The back of each coin is stamped 2 times: Once with a large brass stamp with the general coin info, and once with a big alphanumeric rotary stamp for the tracking #. Had a heck of a time locating a stamp with 6 rows of full alphabet and numbers in a large legible font. It was super pricey - and I was constantly afraid the stamp's rubber belts would break before the coin run was complete.

The backs of the coins are also glazed separately from the front. We paint the backs with a bright orange underglaze, then wipe away all the raised areas leaving a crisp and very legible tracking number.

Tiki

You said these are just under 2 inches in diameter, right? About how "tall" are they?

Another good question! They are actually just OVER 2" in diameter. Now that we have finished coins, I can give more specific dimensions (they shrank a bit in every firing). The final coins are approximately 2 1/4 inches in diameter, and a bit over 1/2 inch thick at the highest point (tips of the noses).

Tiki

Edited by tiki

Most importantly - when, where and for how much will I, me personally, be able to obtain one of the green ones? :)

Another great question! We will be announcing sale date, bonus surprise, and pricing details as soon as all 400 coins are done, which hopefully will be the end of this week. The coins will be sold through my VanTiki storefront on etsy.com:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/VanTiki

I just loaded abut 75 coins in the kiln this morning, and will get another 50 or so in by the end of the day.

Most importantly - when, where and for how much will I, me personally, be able to obtain one of the green ones? :laughing:

Another great question! We will be announcing sale date, bonus surprise, and pricing details as soon as all 400 coins are done, which hopefully will be the end of this week. The coins will be sold through my VanTiki storefront on etsy.com:

I just loaded abut 75 coins in the kiln this morning, and will get another 50 or so in by the end of the day.

Huzzah -- I can't wait!

First peek at trackable Clay TikiCoin #2 and #4 fresh out of the kiln and smoking hot!

7-15-10_1.png

7-15-10_2.png

Sooooooo happy with them! Will be firing the last bunch of coins tomorrow morning. I love thinking about the places these coins will be traveling to, I wish I could go with them!

Tiki

First peek at trackable Clay TikiCoin #2 and #4 fresh out of the kiln and smoking hot!

7-15-10_1.png

7-15-10_2.png

Sooooooo happy with them! Will be firing the last bunch of coins tomorrow morning. I love thinking about the places these coins will be traveling to, I wish I could go with them!

Tiki

Holy coolness! :) They look beautiful!! You guys really inspire me :unsure:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it! Major archeological discovery on VanTiki Island! Prehistoric coins with bonus surprises! Pricing and Dates!

http://www.geotiki.com/geotiki/Read_all_about_it%21.html

Mahalo!

Tiki

Moderator: can you please change the thread description from "interest in Trackable Clay TikiCoins?" to "Available July 23rd" - thank you!

Edited by tiki

4 days till sale bump!

And a quick note on the start time (Friday 7/23/2010 8am Hawaii Time) - please keep in mind I'm not a big company, it is just the two of us at our house. I'm going to do my best to get the sale up and running as close to the announced time as I can - but there may be a bit of lag as the images/pages go live. There is an etsy tab on my facebook page, and if you are REALLY interested in getting the coins, I suggest 1) bookmarking my vantiki etsy page:

and 2) registering with etsy.com now to make the purchase go smoothly on friday. Mahalo!

Tiki

Help!

Anybody know how to change the description to a thread? I want to change it from "interest in Trackable Clay TikiCoins?" to "Available July 23rd" - do I need to e-mail the moderator?

Mahalo -

Tiki

PS - and I'm happy to add that after a brief SNAFU the coin icons are up and running on geocaching.com - and they look swell!

Edited by tiki

Help!

Anybody know how to change the description to a thread? I want to change it from "interest in Trackable Clay TikiCoins?" to "Available July 23rd" - do I need to e-mail the moderator?

Mahalo -

Tiki

PS - and I'm happy to add that after a brief SNAFU the coin icons are up and running on geocaching.com - and they look swell!

I've "report"ed the post so it should catch the attention of a mod. You can also try to PM Eartha I guess.

Title change at the request of a fellow forum user, who knew the OP wanted a title update and that Moderators can't read every post, so here you go!

To have your titles changed, simply click on "report" on the first post. This brings it to the attention of both geocoin moderators, so whoever sees it first can change it. It also gives the moderator a quick easy link to the thread needing a title change, so we don't have to search for it. And we're happy to help any time.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Thank you, Eartha!

This is the official FINAL BUMP before the coins go on sale tomorrow morning! You can use the etsy tab on my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/vantiki

or go straight to my etsy storefront:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vantiki

to purchase the coins starting at approximately 8am Hawaii time

Mahalo!

Tiki

If any of you manages to pick up some extra tiki coins and would willing to trade an extra, can you drop me an email. I have several new coins coming out that have been featured on FB on some level of artwork (Native Pegasus/Pax (new versions)/Sea of Treasures/ET 2010/Neptunes Compass - new versions), that I would be willing to trade. I will be at work so I won't be able to buy any and I'm sure by the time I make it home, they will be gone :laughing:

I'm not asking anyone to buy for me, ONLY that if you buy extras for trading purposes and manage to get them, contact me if you're interested in setting up a trade.

Thanks for the consideration.

tiki, not that you need it but best wishes on your first sale on etsy :wacko: and as always, it's been fun to watch the process/development :blink:

tsun