Clay TikiCoins!

tiki

Mahalo everyone!

The current plan is to offer these for sale at my webstore on etsy.com. Etsy tracks inventory, which makes things a million times easier for me. We are still ironing out the price and shipping methods, and I have three more coins to sculpt. I'll post more as news develops!

Aloha,

tiki

Edited by tiki

Mahalo 57 Chevy!

Clay TikiCoin update: I just emailed the final coin and icon designs (yes, there will be icons!) to Groundspeak for approval/tracking #'s. It feels so *official*! Very excited - Hope to get another sculpt done before the weekend.

Tiki

Happy to report that I just finished another Clay TikiCoin sculpt!

claytikicoin2.jpg

Hope to have the lat two sculpted by the end of the week. Can't wait to get these molded so the pressing can begin!

Mahalo -

Tiki

First the on topic: looks very cool :D

Second the off topic: I was in Hastings about 2 weeks ago (a magazine/video kinda store). I was going through and picking up my favorite regulars (edit to add: magazines) when I stumbled across a "Tiki Magazine". Well you just don't see that in Montana (now if you want log home/wildlife/cowboy stuff, MT is your place :)) Anyhow, I thought of you and picked the mag up and quickly paged through it. (side note: I do have tiki torches drilled on my deck :huh:) and while thumbing through it, I saw an ad in the magazine :blink: Can you see where this is going? I thought holy sheet! Up here in Big Sky Country of all places, I see an ad for VanTiki in the magazine. I'm thinking; "Ha! I know that guy!" (ok, not really KNOW but know, know what I mean). Ok, I'm done with my rambling gotta go haul some wood for the woodstove :anicute:

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

Happy to report that I just finished another Clay TikiCoin sculpt!

claytikicoin2.jpg

Hope to have the lat two sculpted by the end of the week. Can't wait to get these molded so the pressing can begin!

Mahalo -

Tiki

Those are awesome! :( I am running a Tiki event around the time of GeoWoodstock (July) will any of them be ready by then?

Ok! Back from my business trip and I'm feverishly making molds of the TikiCoin sculpts. The goal is 5 molds per design.

tikicoinmolds.jpg

The molds take between one to two weeks to fully cure and dry out - the the pressing begins!

Mahalo for checking in -

Tiki

about how many pressings can a mold support before it's lost too much of its detail?

It depends on several things - the size of the mold, the type of clay, and how much detail/relief the mold has. Molds can do over 100+ tiles, and sometimes they die way sooner. Hope that these hold up well - there is a lot of small detail in them.

Tiki

It has begun! Ms. Tiki and I spent the afternoon pressing the first of the 4 new coins. We had a great time - and I shot a few photos of the festivities. You can see them on my VanTiki facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/vantiki

I'll be updating the geotiki.com page soon with info about the new coins. Super excited! The freshly-pressed coins look great!

Henrik (a.k.a. Tiki)

It has begun! Ms. Tiki and I spent the afternoon pressing the first of the 4 new coins. We had a great time - and I shot a few photos of the festivities. You can see them on my VanTiki facebook page:

I'll be updating the geotiki.com page soon with info about the new coins. Super excited! The freshly-pressed coins look great!

Henrik (a.k.a. Tiki)

facebook page looks great...hope to be able to purchase a coin when they become available!

ILYK

Henrik (a.k.a. Tiki)

Awesome! All your pages are terrific! : ) Can't wait to see these coins, especially, though --

News flash: Trackable clay TikiCoin #1 is in the kiln! All 100 of them - with about 50 non-trackable clay tikicoins as well. Here is one of the three loaded shelves in the kiln:

5-5-2010.png

Whew! These tracking #'s are even more work than we thought - so stressful! If all goes well, we should be glazing this weekend. For non-clay folks, you need to fire (cook) the clay twice - the first is called a bisque firing, and it makes the clay hard (but still porous). Now that the clay is hard and safe to handle, you apply glaze (color), then fire/cook it a second time at a MUCH higher temperature. This second firing makes the clay very hard, and bakes on the color/glaze. End of lesson :)

We are also working on a bit of a bonus offering with the coins - super excited about it.

Mahalo!

Tiki

I glanced at the earlier threads but did not see any information about ordering or pre-orders. Is it already too late to get in on these? :anicute:

It's not too late! In fact, the party hasn't even started ;)

No pre-orders on my coins - once they are finished, I'll announce the date/time that the coins will be available, and at the scheduled time I'll put them up on my etsy.com store. easy-peasy! I'll put more info on ordering/pricing once I get closer to completion on Coin #1

Tiki

Mahalo for the comments - I'm glad you all seem to like these little guys as much as I do :o

Wanted to share a few more shots of the Clay TikiCOin progress. Here is #3 slowly taking over the drying rack:

5-11-2010_1.png

5-11-2010_2.png

2 things about these photos:

1) Yep, you read that correctly, this is #3. That means we've pressed out all 100 of #2, and will be firing them this week! (you can just make out some of the #2 coins on the lower racks)

2) And yes, that is a little hole in the top of the coin - just in case you want to make a tiki necklace (I know I will)!

Aloha -

Tiki