Clay TikiCoins!

tiki

My 2 cents....

I would gladly pay $20 for a clay tiki - trackable or not! A cool Tiki drawn icon would just be icing on the cake. Put me down for one!

Notch or hole would be cool.

While I love the realistic color of the skull coin I do have (thanks again!), a random color would be cool, too.

Mahalo Jed! Thank you so much for the trade!

Very excited about the trackable coins - pressed a few more non-trackable clay coins and tried out some more test glazes. Really like the stone matte color on the left!

5-16_1.jpg

The big test here was coloring the back stamp - which came out quite nicely (if I may say so myself! :D )

5-16_2.jpg

I'll post more info on the trackable coins as things progress. In the meantime, Hawaii cachers should find a clay coin or two (if I ever get some caching time in my schedule)!

Tiki

Still awaiting the trade coin so I can own these awesome beauties myself!!!!! Well done my friend!

Your wait is almost over!

Looks like the Tikis may be heading to Colorado in a few weeks, so I am gonna crank out a bunch of fresh clay tikicoins to drop in caches (and send to patient folks like Rockin Roddy!). If we don't make it to colorado, I am sorely in need of some out here for trades and caches.

Good news is I was able to slap another mold on the skull tikicoin sculpture (after washing away some dust):

8-20_5.jpg

Usually when you pull the plaster mold off of the master sculpture, the sculpture gets destroyed in the process. Once in a while you get lucky, and the original sculpture remains intact and you can pull a second (and somethimes even a third) mold off of it! The benefit of having multiple molds is you can press coins/tiles/whatever out of them a lot faster. I'm thrilled that I could get a second pull off of the skull sculpt - and if I can get a third that would be amazing.

I did manage to sneak a clay tikicoin into one of my recent tiki mugs (look in the mug's mouth):

Monkey%20scale.png

On the trackable clay coin front - things are progressing (just very slowly). Work has kept me on my toes for the past month (or two - sheesh, when was the last time I posted on this thread? :D ), and I am still working on some technical challenges of getting tracking numbers on so many coins. As the coins take shape I'll be sure to post photos of the new sculptures.

Mahalo!

Tiki

Still awaiting the trade coin so I can own these awesome beauties myself!!!!! Well done my friend!

Your wait is almost over!

Looks like the Tikis may be heading to Colorado in a few weeks, so I am gonna crank out a bunch of fresh clay tikicoins to drop in caches (and send to patient folks like Rockin Roddy!). If we don't make it to colorado, I am sorely in need of some out here for trades and caches.

Good news is I was able to slap another mold on the skull tikicoin sculpture (after washing away some dust):

8-20_5.jpg

Usually when you pull the plaster mold off of the master sculpture, the sculpture gets destroyed in the process. Once in a while you get lucky, and the original sculpture remains intact and you can pull a second (and somethimes even a third) mold off of it! The benefit of having multiple molds is you can press coins/tiles/whatever out of them a lot faster. I'm thrilled that I could get a second pull off of the skull sculpt - and if I can get a third that would be amazing.

I did manage to sneak a clay tikicoin into one of my recent tiki mugs (look in the mug's mouth):

Monkey%20scale.png

On the trackable clay coin front - things are progressing (just very slowly). Work has kept me on my toes for the past month (or two - sheesh, when was the last time I posted on this thread? :anibad: ), and I am still working on some technical challenges of getting tracking numbers on so many coins. As the coins take shape I'll be sure to post photos of the new sculptures.

Mahalo!

Tiki

While in no hurry at all, could you email me your addy as I have the trader ready for you! Also, WOW...I love the mug and would love to make a trade for one of those as well???? Or buy....it's AWESOME!!

Mahalo

Rod

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Mahalo!

Sorry Roddy and FunkyFrogs - the mug has sold. All my mugs are one-of-a-kind, but I may be using another clay tikicoin in a mug soon. If so, I'll be sure to post it! Here is more info on the monkey mug:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Mug_of_the_Monkey_God.html

Happy to report that this afternoon I pulled off an *extra rare* THIRD mold on the skull tikicoin! Whoo! Prepare for a rush of boney goodness! I need to let these molds dry out for a week or so, then the pressing party will begin! (in the mean time I'll be pressing coins out of my two old existing molds)

Mahalo,

Tiki

Are the trackable tiki coins for sale? They are very neato:)

Mahalo!

I will have a new series of trackable coins for sale soon. I just finished designing the stamp for the back of the coins, and I've sent the artwork to claystamps.com to have a brass clay stamp machined. I'll keep posting news as things progress. In the mean time, I pressed a bunch of non-trackable trade/cache only clay tikicoins and tiki tiles this afternoon for the trip to Colorado that we are taking next month (2nd-12th of September):

8-21_1.jpg

I gotta dry these guys out fast and fire them quick! Can't wait to do some mainland caching!

Aloha,

Tiki

Are the trackable tiki coins for sale? They are very neato:)

Mahalo!

I will have a new series of trackable coins for sale soon. I just finished designing the stamp for the back of the coins, and I've sent the artwork to claystamps.com to have a brass clay stamp machined. I'll keep posting news as things progress. In the mean time, I pressed a bunch of non-trackable trade/cache only clay tikicoins and tiki tiles this afternoon for the trip to Colorado that we are taking next month (2nd-12th of September):

8-21_1.jpg

I gotta dry these guys out fast and fire them quick! Can't wait to do some mainland caching!

Aloha,

Tiki

Wow! Where in Colorado are you going? I would love to find one of those in a cache! Absolutely amazing job on these!

Edited by xboxcrazy33

First stop on their long voyage to Colorado: The bisque fire!

8-25_1.jpg

They'll be cooking all day tomorrow, then get a coat (or two) of glaze. Back in the Kiln (I'm thinking Friday) for the final firing before hopping on the plane next week. I can't wait! :laughing:

Tiki

Wow! Those look amazing! I meant to post in here again earlier, but it slipped my mind. You mentioned that you wanted to see ghost towns? I am more familiar with ghost towns in south-western Colorado, so I can't really offer any advice, but this site looks like it has a lot of good info:

Ghost Towns of Colorado

Hope you have fun on your trip! I'll have to keep my eyes out for one of your tiki coins in a cache!

xboxcrazy33

Edited by xboxcrazy33

OK!

Glazed all the coins today. First off: a dab of red underglaze to the stamp on the back:

8-28_1.jpg

I then sponge away the red, leaving it in the low areas:

8-28_2.jpg

And finally I coat the face of the coins with various glazes and underglazes:

8-28_3.jpg

The larger tiles are dipped into buckets of glaze to make things easier. Cooking away now!

Tiki

PS - Mahalo for the Ghost Town link xboxcrazy33. Don't worry, Roddy - we are both bringing our cameras and will be shooting a zillion photos! :cry:

Ok! Coins are all done, I'm off to my parents to upload the Colorado Topo to our GPS (silly mapsource CDs - why can't you work on my Mac?). We leave Tuesday night - if you live in Colorado, be on the lookout for these fancy fellows ;) :

8-29_1.jpg

8-29_2.jpg

Mahalo,

Tiki

PS - Tsun - we'll try to make it to Montana on our next mainland adventure :)

PPS - Rockin Roddy, one of these has your name on it, lemmie know which one you like best and I'll set it aside for you!

PPPS - Cinema Boxers - if you are still up for a Titanic Coin trade, lemmie know which coin you would like as well!

Nice thread showing the process. Why do you make your molds so big? Is the ceramic medium pushed in, or poured?

I'd be willing to trade. Although my geotokens are made from plaster and a bit faster process for me but don't have the durability your ceramics will have.

This is what I have in baggies and ready for trade.

geocoin12.jpg

Ok! Coins are all done, I'm off to my parents to upload the Colorado Topo to our GPS (silly mapsource CDs - why can't you work on my Mac?). We leave Tuesday night - if you live in Colorado, be on the lookout for these fancy fellows ;) :

8-29_1.jpg

8-29_2.jpg

Mahalo,

Tiki

PS - Tsun - we'll try to make it to Montana on our next mainland adventure :)

PPS - Rockin Roddy, one of these has your name on it, lemmie know which one you like best and I'll set it aside for you!

PPPS - Cinema Boxers - if you are still up for a Titanic Coin trade, lemmie know which coin you would like as well!

email sent but I would love the stone face in the middle row (only row of coin sized coins), the second one from the left!! Natural looking stone face!

Well done my friend and THANKS!!! Have a great trip!!

Good luck all that live where Tiki is heading, these tiles and coins are AWESOME!

Nice thread showing the process. Why do you make your molds so big? Is the ceramic medium pushed in, or poured?

I'd be willing to trade. Although my geotokens are made from plaster and a bit faster process for me but don't have the durability your ceramics will have.

Aloha LordZogat -

The plaster molds need to be that big to withstand the pressure created by the tile press:

shapeimage_1.jpg

The press pushes clay into the mold - I actually hang my full body weight on the handle when I squeeze clay into a tile! It's great exercise ;) This pressure compacts the clay body - capturing detail from the mold and helping to avoid warping when drying/firing. I built the press in my studio following the excellent plans in "Handmade Tiles" by Frank Georgino (an amazing must-read for anyone who wants to give tile making a try).

As far as trades - If I have any left when I get back from Colorado we can talk turkey! I love your handmade coins.

Roddy - I've set the brown stoneface aside for you!

Mahalo,

Tiki

OK - I'm just about all packed!

Good news for Oregon folks - Looks like we are gonna take advantage of our six hour layover in Portland and hit some caches! Can't wait to start dropping these coins - Colorado here we come :rolleyes:

Mahalo,

Tiki

9-2_1.jpg

Edited by tiki

Aloha folks!

Big news - I just got my freshly machined brass stamp from The very talented Todd Scholtz at claystamps.com and was able to do a few test runs yesterday. It looks fantastic, and I'll be testing various methods of getting the tracking numbers on the coins this week. So excited to be moving forward on this project!

10-6_1.jpg

Tiki

Edit:

Wanted to add that I dropped just about all of the clay coins and tiles in Colorado - and not ONE person mentioned finding/taking them in their logs! So frustrating. I mean, I want folks to take them (that's the whole point of non-trackable items), but I wish they'd at least mention it after all the hard work! Ok, done venting :)

Edited by tiki

Aloha Folks!

Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Tiki, and I mysteriously vanished after starting this tread eons ago! :D

Happy to report that due to a conversion of fortuitous events (smaller # of tracking codes for custom icon, acquisition of working # stamp, upcoming trip to Tiki Oasis 10 in San Diego) the Trackable Clay TikiCoin project is once again GO! Now, I know, you have heard that one before. I understand your reluctance to get excited - and hopefully as the new coin sculpts take shape over the next month your interest will be re-kindled.

Mahalo!

Tiki

I'm a HUGE fan of Tikicoins and most things tiki!! :D You can assume that means I'm excited!! ;)

EDIT to add..... if you'da dropped some of those Colorado clay coins in the Central Coast of Calif. you'da heard a bunch of "bikki bikkis" from us upon finding them.

Edited by Droo

Thinking I might have to get one of these and like avroair mentioned, custom jobs, AKA a little fun with the glaze???

I've been toying around with doing something along these lines, though I don't have access to a kiln, so I'm looking at oven bake clays, which there isn't much to choose from and I'm trying to avoid sculpey type stuff.

Woohoo!

Aloha Folks!

Allow me to introduce myself - my name is Tiki, and I mysteriously vanished after starting this tread eons ago! :)

Happy to report that due to a conversion of fortuitous events (smaller # of tracking codes for custom icon, acquisition of working # stamp, upcoming trip to Tiki Oasis 10 in San Diego) the Trackable Clay TikiCoin project is once again GO! Now, I know, you have heard that one before. I understand your reluctance to get excited - and hopefully as the new coin sculpts take shape over the next month your interest will be re-kindled.

Mahalo!

Tiki

HAKALI WANTS TIKI COIN!

Woah everyone! Don't get excited too soon! :)

Happy to get all the positive comments. Here is the *Master Plan*:

Non-Trackable: We will continue to do the existing clay tikicoins for leaving in caches and trades (the skull and the stone face), and I'll most likely be sculpting a couple new designs as well. These will not be for sale.

Trackable: We are going to do 4 different coins in an edition of 100 each (so 400 coins total) - each coin design will have a custom icon. I'm thinking that we will be glazing them in a variety of colors, and will send them out randomly (i.e. you don't get to pick color - adds to the surprise!). The trackable coins will be slightly larger than the current clay tikicoins.

It is going to be a big endeavor - and I am really looking forward to it. As always, I'll take lots of photos and document the process on this thread.

Mahalo!

Tiki