Cache Size Preference

MarcForrest

Being fairly new to geocaching, I get a feeling that there is a distinct hatred dislike towards micros, and nano's. :)

Personally I think in SA, micros and nanos are an easier option, as it would seem the larger caches get muggled more easily, unless they are in a remote area, and chances are more slim of being muggled ?

What is the general feeling on cache sizes, or is it each to his own ? :anibad:

Marc

Each to their own. A well placed micro/nano can be just as enjoyable as a regular. Sure they easier to hide. But hiding a micro in the middle of nowhere where there's plenty of opportunity for a regular is just darn frustrating. The size of container should be suited to the environment.

Because micro's are easier to hide, the feeling is probably against arbitrary placements rather than the container as such. Imagine however a sneaky regular in a place where most of us would only consider a micro, you'll appreciate the effort made by the placer so much more.

Personally prefer regulars, but do appreciate a well placed micro if it's in a place of interest and the only realistic option. Those loooong multis with a micro at the end of a mammoth effort :anibad:

I like micros. I hid one just the other day out near Mosselbay. Micros4africa cache

I would agree though with what Globalrat said. It is more the environment where the micro is placed. If you can figure out a way to get a small or regular size container hidden well in a spot that most would consider micro worthy, than you will earn "street cred" amonst us geocachers.

John&Gill were excellent with hiding regular caches, because they toook the time to disguise them into the environment. I even walked past their So Square cache box yesterday and chuckled to myself, as I was one of the few who knew what that box on the pavement was really for. :anibad:

I agree with what the two masters have said before me but would also like to add one more thing. I think it is also about laying the caches proportionally and therefore seeking spots to place a regular. It is always easier to find a spot for another micro, but takes a bit more work to either engineer a small / regular into a a good hide or rather finding a spot for that regular.

Remember the Sandpit's motto:

Quality over Quantity

Happy Placing